Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

Games reviews in EDGE 371 and lots of footage will be hitting YouTube later today.

Anybody wanting the games to be surprises (as designed) should be wary of spoilers!

Had a quick glance over the games in Edge. Very short summary’s of them. I don’t think it spoiled it for me. Maybe even whetted the appetite. 

24 games is always gonna have hits and misses but I think a lot of them look from fun to great. I can’t wait to get my batch 2 delivery. 

If the Playdate can be played for a bit and not again for 2 years and not need to be charged (because of the screen) then I consider that a success.

I'm not expecting super long playtimes on this thing. 5 minutes here and there in between stuff.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Also complains about the screen. I'm filing this thing under gimmicky drawer clutter.

Is this person somebody we know? He was looking at an Asteroids clone and said it was a “bit like Space Invaders”.

13 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

If the Playdate can be played for a bit and not again for 2 years and not need to be charged (because of the screen) then I consider that a success.

I'm not expecting super long playtimes on this thing. 5 minutes here and there in between stuff.

The BBC review suggests that it can't be turned off and that it lasts for 14 days in standby, so in those terms it doesn't appear to fit your success criteria.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1h2Fs24N5XKQSZ8DDxQDJ46/playdate-review-a-unique-take-on-handheld-gaming-held-back-from-true-greatness-by-some-poor-design-choices

I mean it may be that you can turn it off and the guy reviewing it for the BBC just failed to find out how to do it.

21 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I mean it may be that you can turn it off and the guy reviewing it for the BBC just failed to find out how to do it.

This has to be it - I cannot believe you can't switch it off - surely that would fail on some European electronic standards otherwise.

My comment was more a reflection of playing on my 3DS recently which has the worst standby mode in any handheld device - it basically cannot hold a charge for more than a day or two - which is absurd.

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I appreciate that it's going to be an issue for people, but this is one of those things that was made clear way back during the initial announcement, and even grumbled about on here on the very first page of the thread, so I can't say I'm wildly shocked or disappointed by the lack of lighting myself.

I've no intention of buying one at any point, so disappointment isn't an issue but I remember trying to play the GBA on a train or outside and it was pretty much pointless most of the time. The fact that they announced it doesn't make it a smart decision.

I don’t think many people are going to be bothered by not being able to play a Playdate outside or on a train. It’s far too precious an item for that.

To be honest I don’t see the screen as being an issue. You can see how much better it is than the GBP and GBA screens in the video above, and those weren’t unplayable either.

As someone who remembers how terrible the GBA screen was, I also remember how completely fine the original Gameboy screen was.

With the contrast on this screen I don't see it as a problem. Really looking forward to getting mine!

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

The BBC review suggests that it can't be turned off and that it lasts for 14 days in standby, so in those terms it doesn't appear to fit your success criteria.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1h2Fs24N5XKQSZ8DDxQDJ46/playdate-review-a-unique-take-on-handheld-gaming-held-back-from-true-greatness-by-some-poor-design-choices

Nope, it's a deliberate choice.

Absolutely boneheaded decision for a portable.

I imagine they will put in a shutdown feature. 

The screen thing is fine but internet reviewers WILL moan about it because they’re so used to backlights. However, a design decision was made and this device seems so unique, so different etc that people should be prepared to let it go I reckon. Or at least see how much it genuinely matters in reality. 

Ive seen that a few people have had their order groups bumped from 1-2 2-3 etc. Just checked mine (login to website) and I’m still 2 so hoping it will just be a few at the extremities of the order numbers. 

8 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I find the arch, knowing, ironic style of this video to be very appealing.

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

I don’t think many people are going to be bothered by not being able to play a Playdate outside or on a train. It’s far too precious an item for that.

To be honest I don’t see the screen as being an issue. You can see how much better it is than the GBP and GBA screens in the video above, and those weren’t unplayable either.

It's clearly not marketed at me if you think a 200 quid portable isn't meant to be used outside. That's literally the primary use I'd be looking for!

It really is just an ornament that can theoretically play games I guess.

12 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's clearly not marketed at me if you think a 200 quid portable isn't meant to be used outside. That's literally the primary use I'd be looking for!

£160, rather than £200, back when I ordered it last year. But yes, I'd probably aim to use it on public transport (and given I managed that even with the GBA's shitty screen, I don't see that causing problems there), but for the fact I've not been on public transport since March 2020 and intend to keep things that way for a good while! Instead I shall sit in bed/on the couch and play it, as is my wont.

12 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It’s a portable device - that doesn’t mean it’s going to be used outside.

The Steamdeck is a £500 portable device that isn’t going to get used outside either.

41 minutes ago, ZOK said:

The Steamdeck is a £500 portable device that isn’t going to get used outside either.

Seriously? That's the only reason to own a steam deck in my view. I have a laptop for playing PC games at home, I don't expect to buy a deck but if I did it'd be to take outside with me.

We have very different ways of looking at things haha.

I think most people will be using a Steamdeck because they can’t be arsed to sit at their PC gaming workstation. This is the real and universal usp of portable devices, they make playing games feel like less of a commitment.

Of course a tiny fraction of owners will be arsed to put everything to do with it in a case and cart it around with them, but it will only be a tiny fraction.

There’s also the fact PC gamers are too scared of the outdoors to be going outside anyway.

I've must have played my Switch for thousands of hours since release, reckon 90% handheld mode and I genuinely do not think I've ever played it outside of my house.

Handheld gaming for me is  something a little more intimate, and a little less bombastic than on the big screen. It's what I do when I fancy a lounge across the sofa rather than perching on the edge of my armchair. 

Of course, saying that, I'll be taking the Playdate everywhere with me because I'm a fucking poser.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I find the arch, knowing, ironic style of this video to be very appealing.

I’ve started watching the rest of this guy’s videos…they are strangely compelling.

22 hours ago, Yiggy said:

From Eurogamer review. 😄

That sentence (from the review) is the only thing that has made me at all interested in this as I cannot be bothered with the whole retro cool (with a crank) hype for a machine that I would use for a week (if that) before consigning to the back of a cupboard. A haunted beermat is a whole other matter though..

My Steam deck will be in my rucksack this summer. Elden ring in the park, at night. While I do my wierdo* night rides then chill with a joint and a Peroni in the middle of my local park. Did it last year with my Kishi and Redream on my phone. Really enjoyed it.

*Not weirdo, it's literally cool as fuck. Hot night, shorts on, E-bike. Chill under the stars.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s a portable device - that doesn’t mean it’s going to be used outside.

Deffo. My PSP and Vita both got loads of use, but a small fraction of that was actually outside (mostly Lumines to or from snowboarding holidays). I'm not sure my 3DS ever went outside my front door once I got it home and that was used a stupid amount.

If I had the disposable cash I used to when I worked in the industry I'd be all over this. I'd love to have a crack at developing for it - that crank is magnificently silly. I could have loads of fun with that.