IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

I remember getting stung at customs for a stupid amount because they didn’t understand HK$100 was not the same value as US$. By a factor of ten or so. Got it eventually but took months of explaining even though it was obvious on the label.

Also remember being sent a fan for a NAS from China as a free replacement, net value of said fan was about 14p, customs charge of over £100 because they said it was “a PC” and the quoted price on the A5 Jiffy bag label was obviously made up. Refused to pay and a few weeks later it dropped through my letterbox anyway.

Customs are idiots.

A couple of other people on the PlayDate Discord seem to have had the same customs issue.  Seems to be those whose parcels have been handed to Royal Mail who are having the issue, while those who went to Hermes aren't.

So you have a choice of paying tax twice, or finding your PlayDate in the bin.

Spoiler

A very simple connect-3/4/5 game which feels like a stupid non-game, only to then slowly hook its claws into you with some advanced strategies. Kind of hope this one gets ported to other platforms as well.

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Oh, oops. Didn't realise people were adhering to the seasons that much. Spoilered it.

It's not that, it just makes me sad :(

16 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Have they passed 10,000 shipped yet? Did I imagine it, or was Group Two also Early 2022 and now been knocked back to Mid-2022?

image.png.4fac45071a5282248440626479cc7329.png

It has been knocked back, yes.

It was actually knocked back to mid-late 2022, and then brought back forwards to mid-2022 with no late qualifier.  Not that there are any defined dates there.

Upper 7400s range. Worth noting that it may not be a batch issue — I moved house (within the same town) between preorder and dispatch, so had to ask Panic to update my address on file; I do wonder if somebody made an error when doing so which led to the wrong carrier being used.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

All of this is very interesting, but how do I get a Playdate today?!

Do a WhatsApp with all the mums and see if anybody wants to come round. I find adding an activity like baking or craft can really hook them in. 

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

What’s this, like eBay? £314 seems a bit steep!

It's like eBay, but they act as a middle man and get the stock sent to them from the seller to check authenticity before passing on to you. A mate of mine just bought an Analogue Pocket from there.

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

It's like eBay, but they act as a middle man and get the stock sent to them from the seller to check authenticity before passing on to you. A mate of mine just bought an Analogue Pocket from there.

Worth keeping an eye on then, cheers!

For what it’s worth, I just got an email to confirm my shipping address. I’m in batch 2, somewhere around the 15,000 mark. Sounds like they might start shipping the batch around the 8th.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s a site for scalpers to sell stuff to people with more money than sense.

I got distracted by something on preorder day, didn't place my order until just before 7pm (they went on sale at 6pm), and my order number is almost 23000! I might as well be DEAD.

2 hours ago, klargon said:

For what it’s worth, I just got an email to confirm my shipping address. I’m in batch 2, somewhere around the 15,000 mark. Sounds like they might start shipping the batch around the 8th.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Me too! :omg:

Same here 16,000+

Mine still shows I'm in group 3, which is order number 20,000 to 30,000, but my order number is less than 20,000.

15 hours ago, ZOK said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294999313235?hash=item44af544b53:g:aHcAAOSwsbdii-Rl

£314 seems a bit cheap, you mean!  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  While I'd really like to give the Playdate a go, if it's worth more than double the amount I paid, it's pretty difficult to justify keeping it.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Mine still shows I'm in group 3, which is order number 20,000 to 30,000, but my order number is less than 20,000.

I wonder if they really mean unit number rather than order number.  I presume some people ordered more than one under the same order number

1 hour ago, klargon said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294999313235?hash=item44af544b53:g:aHcAAOSwsbdii-Rl

£314 seems a bit cheap, you mean!  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  While I'd really like to give the Playdate a go, if it's worth more than double the amount I paid, it's pretty difficult to justify keeping it.

I wonder if they really mean unit number rather than order number.  I presume some people ordered more than one under the same order number

I thought you could only order one?