IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

1 hour ago, klargon said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294999313235?hash=item44af544b53:g:aHcAAOSwsbdii-Rl

£314 seems a bit cheap, you mean!  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  While I'd really like to give the Playdate a go, if it's worth more than double the amount I paid, it's pretty difficult to justify keeping it.

I must admit I don’t remember what price they were…was it £200 or something?

1 minute ago, matt! said:

In other news, I just released new game: a crank-controller arcade hi-score chaser called Circular https://gingerbeardman.itch.io/circular

https://twitter.com/gingerbeardman/status/1531395067302256645

Why has nobody made a Tempest clone on this yet? Surely it'd be great with the crank :) 

Maybe they have though... I'm not really checking anything out till mine arrives.

9 hours ago, matt! said:

In other news, I just released new game: a crank-controlled arcade high score chaser called Circular https://gingerbeardman.itch.io/circular

https://twitter.com/gingerbeardman/status/1531395067302256645

Congrats! :D Downloading and uploading to my Playdate as we speak.

[edit] Ooh, that's a nice crank-tick you got there.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Ooh, that's a nice crank-tick you got there.

Thanks! That was one of the last things I added. Because it's worth it!

I'm getting some pretty soul destroying feedback from a few vocal price haters, so I appreciate your support!

10 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Why has nobody made a Tempest clone on this yet?

Maybe Atari would come after them? like they did with Jeff Minter when he made TxK.

Interesting idea though ;) 

2 minutes ago, matt! said:

Thanks! That was one of the last things I added. Because it's worth it!

I'm getting some pretty soul destroying feedback from a few vocal price haters, so I appreciate your support!

Maybe Atari would come after them? like they did with Jeff Minter when he made TxK. Interesting idea though ;) 

Maybe, but then, I guess Minter was VERY involved in Tempest 2000 and onwards, someone making something similar "shouldn't" be a problem, maybe mix up the mechanics a bit.... time to get my thinking head on... and that SDK installed... oh.. and learn to code 😛

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 23:33, MikeBeaver said:

Why has nobody made a Tempest clone on this yet? Surely it'd be great with the crank :)

This is definitely not Tempest, nor will it ever be, but here's my latest work-in-progress game.  

It's real neat. Bloom kept me coming back hourly as it's an idler, but some of the other games released are real nice. I find myself picking it up every day, just to try one of the simpler games or dive into some of the meatier stuff. Some choice cuts:

Spoiler

Pick Pack Pup is a great little puzzler that also manages to tickle the OCD glands.

Demon Quest '85 is a weird summoning game in which you select schoolmates in order to summon demon's as if you'd be playing 80's D&D. Pretty neat.

Hyper Meteor is Asteroids with a simplifying twist, and damn is it addictive.

Only got Zipper yesterday and damn, this is something that I'd like to see hit other consoles as well. Puzzley ninja tactics.

There's nothing to worry about if you like experimental and/or indie games; this is still new batches of catnip delivered weekly.

20 minutes ago, deKay said:

I thought they'd already dispatched to some of group 2?

Group 3 tramp here :(

I'm sure they have, but it must have only started quite recently. Just thought I'd share the update in case anyone hadn't checked the site.

2 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Group 4 scrubs.  Represent.

Group 4 is basically the same as not ordering one at all.

Got a mail from Panic with some details concerning the orders:

Latest Status

We're happy to note that Group One shipping is now complete. That means over 10,000 Playdates are now out in the world. That also means — yes — Group Two began shipping a few days ago!!

(Remember, we ship Playdates gradually every day, so we expect Group Two should be done by the end of August.)

And while that's happening, our factory has been building lots of systems for Group Three and beyond. So far, we're still on schedule. If that changes, you'll be the first to know.

Also, our special DDP/duties paid international shipping seems to be working, too. Except for a few errors on our end, international customers report getting their systems without any additional taxes or duties.

Put another way: things are going great. (So far.)

The Current Estimates

• Group #1    Systems #1 to 10,000
    Done!
  • Group #2    Systems 10,000 to 20,000
    Shipping Now
  • Group #3    Systems 20,000 to 30,000
  • Group #4    Systems 30,000 to 40,000
    2022 (Late)
  • Group #5    Systems 40,000 to 50,000
    2022 (Later) ~ 2023 (Early)

• 4 weeks later...

I’m still waiting for my PD. Orders seem to have reached around 12,800 a few weeks ago and prior to that the were shipping~1,000 per day. My order is 14,500 so I should have at least received a shipping update my now. I’ll probably get my Steam Deck before then and just run the bloody emulator.