rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Edge #333 | Playdate

Down Town Nathan Brown, Evo editors tournament superstar, "shit at fighting games".

The NERVE of some people.

• Upvote 4

Or do you only like the games you are good at? Makes you think.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what's worse: criticising someone because you think they're bad at fighting games or humblebragging that you're actually really good at them.

• Upvote 1

It was just a silly fun comment, hence the air quotes. I said twenty years as that's when 3rd strike came out, the best 6/10 fighting game of all time. 

I’m actually not, I’m above average at a couple of them. But this is the most fighting-game-positive editorial team Edge has ever had. In any case if you’re going to flex at us about anything in the genre it shouldn’t be a series the mag has never really liked (MKII arcade somehow got a 9 and it’s been 5s and 6s ever since). 

Is it just me who has no idea what a Play Date is?

Edit: Just seen the other thread. I still don't really know what it is, apart from maybe a hipster tin opener with a screen.

Little Johnny didn't play well with the other toddlers I guess.

• Upvote 2

SWQ is very good but I'm surprised at the 9. I loved it and would certainly recommend, but it does tend to get quite repetitive towards the end and the story is terrible. 

I've just put my 20p on the machine that says I can beat any of you at Street Fighter, I know the secret fireball move and everything.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I've just put my 20p on the machine that says I can beat any of you at Street Fighter, I know the secret fireball move and everything.

I've got change if you end up needing to break a tenner.

I don't suppose there's any chance we'll get some of article/feature going into why the Injustice games seem to click for Edges reviewers while the Mortal Kombat games leave them colder than a bankers heart. I'm struggling to thing of another team working on two franchises that get such different reactions. Hell, I'm struggling to think of another team that handles two franchises at this point. 

Just before anyone asks, I haven't read the review so yeah I'm just going on the MK score at the moment. 

The reviewer seems as baffled about this as you are, saying some of the problems were already solved in 2016s Injustice 2. 

The review says the fighting is more satisfying than ever, but they hated the grinding, and then there’s a load of fighting game analysis and detail that’s way over my head. 

1 hour ago, bear said:

I don't suppose there's any chance we'll get some of article/feature going into why the Injustice games seem to click for Edges reviewers while the Mortal Kombat games leave them colder than a bankers heart. I'm struggling to thing of another team working on two franchises that get such different reactions. Hell, I'm struggling to think of another team that handles two franchises at this point. 

Just before anyone asks, I haven't read the review so yeah I'm just going on the MK score at the moment. 

Injustice doesn't have a block button.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

In semi-related news, Rllmuk fighting-game pals should scour this issue for a familiar face from days of yore. 

Choo!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

But is it inaccurate!?

Yup ;p  I've been reading EDGE since issue 0 and it still continues to baffle me at times ;)

13 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

In semi-related news, Rllmuk fighting-game pals should scour this issue for a familiar face from days of yore. 

Side question, Mr. Dogg III. Any idea when this issue (and the current SFX, come to think of it) will make their way on to Readily? No sign of them just yet.

19 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

We’re only good at the good games. 

You all seemed to be pretty good at RDR2 though.

10 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Any chance you could just get the fuck over it?

Fucking hell, it was only a joke. No need to get so moody over it!

• Empathy 1

It's so bloody incessant, though. Seemingly every thread in here has you wanging on about how RDR2 wasn't very good. Just like the Film folder and your opinion on TLJ. We get it.

• Upvote 4