Jump to content

Virtua Racing - Switch. It's really, really good! Now available in UK.


dumpster
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 03/07/2019 at 01:38, DC Lemon said:

I use the view one out from the default and the Joy-con’s d-pad for steering. Does that make me weird?

No! Turns out this is what I needed to do.

 

I was already using that view, but switching to the 'd-pad' in Normal steering mode has made a big difference. I couldn't get on with Arcade steering at all, and using the stick on Normal was making the car twitch and swerve all over the place. It hardly does at all now.

 

I improved my Beginner time by a couple of seconds after a few tries. Down to 3.13.15. Still not great, but better than I thought I would ever manage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed to shave about a half a second from my Big Forest best after switching back to normal/d-pad controls. Still languishing in the high-hundreds in the global rankings though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

No! Turns out this is what I needed to do.

 

I was already using that view, but switching to the 'd-pad' in Normal steering mode has made a big difference.

Thanks for highlighting that, I didn’t realise you could use the dpad buttons, way more consistent, new best!

 

How have I not broken 38 yet!? Must’ve got it flat about 10 times now.

F337288F-0DF2-4D2B-81EB-1460DBD36E61.jpeg

7ABC4569-3AAA-4F0E-91C1-76F6D9C12023.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh very nice, another .2 can come off that for sure but we’re getting pretty close to the bone now eh.

 

I’d say I don’t think I could get below 3:11 but I just watched some replays and they’re hitting 38.5 on the opening lap, so much faster!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Popo said:

I watched a replay of the top spot a couple of days ago and the guy goes across the grass in the last turn, avoiding the hairpin completely. A bit of a shame. 

 

I saw that too. It’s a recent entry and the previous best time didn’t do that. It’s made me lose a little interest, frankly. The purity of the racing is what makes this wrinkly old game so much more addictive than Team Sonic Racing and all its track skips, shortcuts and different vehicle classes. Now this new record makes VR feel a bit closer to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cheeko said:

Oh very nice, another .2 can come off that for sure but we’re getting pretty close to the bone now eh.

 

I’d say I don’t think I could get below 3:11 but I just watched some replays and they’re hitting 38.5 on the opening lap, so much faster!

 

Yeah, I feel like I'm running out of places to improve (I know it's possible, but I'm struggling to find it!), but the game is just so playable that I enjoy just narrowing down the margins.

 

EDIT: 3'11''12 now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blimey - switched to d-pad and improved my time by 1.5 secs! Down into the 3:15s now so still some way to go to get close to

you guys, but definitely improving. 

 

Playing this has given me the urge to play the first Ridge Racer game. What’s the best way to do that? I’ve got a SNES mini - hack that and stick on the PS1 version, or would I be better getting a PS1 Mini and hacking that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Blimey - switched to d-pad and improved my time by 1.5 secs! Down into the 3:15s now so still some way to go to get close to

you guys, but definitely improving. 

 

Playing this has given me the urge to play the first Ridge Racer game. What’s the best way to do that? I’ve got a SNES mini - hack that and stick on the PS1 version, or would I be better getting a PS1 Mini and hacking that?

 

Second go with a d-pad and another second off - 3:14.43 now :)

 

I wish this had better friend leaderboards - doubt I'll be getting into the top 100, but would be good to know who else is around me to give me something realistic to aim at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After initial struggles with the controls, I’ve now gone to d-pad and manual gears and so far tonight I’ve come down from about 650th to bang on 200th with a 3:13.09

 

This game, I keep forgetting there’s 2 more tracks too - 1 car, 1 track is all it needs :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think there is any, the game is very unfussy about how and when you hold the accelerator - in fact you can even corner at full steering lock without dropping any speed. The only place wheel spin seems to come in if if you put a wheel on the white perimeter lines of the tracks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

 

Second go with a d-pad and another second off - 3:14.43 now :)

 

I wish this had better friend leaderboards - doubt I'll be getting into the top 100, but would be good to know who else is around me to give me something realistic to aim at.

 

My current best is 3:14.50 so we’re pretty close. I’ll try to chip away and see how to improve :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cheeko said:

Anyone figured out any tips for the start? I haven’t analysed it much but tend to just hit the accelerator on Go.

 

I think it pays to accelerate on Go, allowing you to change gear slightly sooner if you get it right. I’ve been trying different things to get a 1st lap below 39. I’ve got it down to 39.03 but screwed that run up on the second lap because of an awkwardly placed opponent on a turn that I wasn’t expecting. My best run came with a 1st lap of 39:15.

 

D-8feLbU0AA1Be9.jpg

 

The 38.00 on the final lap was as much to do with a complete lack of slipstreaming opportunities on the straights as anything. This game always manages to throw a new problem your way. I did NOT choke on this occasion. :mad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is utterly fantastic. Seems like yesterday I was putting pounds in this incredible machine from the future in Las Vegas in Liverpool. 

 

To have this in your hands 27 years later blows my mind.

 

 I’m right hooked on shaving times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/07/2019 at 13:16, DC Lemon said:

 

The 38.00 on the final lap was as much to do with a complete lack of slipstreaming opportunities on the straights as anything. This game always manages to throw a new problem your way. I did NOT choke on this occasion. :mad:

Reckon I was headed for the same time last night and yeah, had one of those backmarkers on the final turn sequence >_< all over the place haha, got a 11.06 with a 38.18 final lap.

 

On holiday for two weeks from this weekend. This sucker will be getting played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just picked this up and its brilliant to play it again.  What circuit is everyone doing the time trials on and how can I add people as friends on Switch?

 

Big Forest (Normal) 

Manual Gears

Normal Controls 

 

Looking at the above screenshots?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I have just picked this up and its brilliant to play it again.  What circuit is everyone doing the time trials on and how can I add people as friends on Switch?

 

Big Forest (Normal) 

Manual Gears

Normal Controls 

 

Looking at the above screenshots?

 

That's what I'm using, with the third view.
 

Friends are added from the Switch home screen. Press A on your profile picture (top-left) and add friends by codes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.