rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
GamesGamesGames

Great lines in videogaming.

I can't find a thread for this, but surely there's been one? Please merge if that's the case, thanks.

Anyway, writing and performance play a huge part in my work life, and much as there have been some huge strides in videogame writing over the last couple of decades, it's still a way adrift of less-interactive media (inevitably IMO, but that's a whole other can of worms).

That's not to say there haven't been some blinding bits of work though, and it would be nice to celebrate them here, ideally with a little bit about why they hit you the way they do.

I've just been reminded of my favourite. Funnily enough it's from the mid-noughties arcade scene and I'd wager there wasn't a writers' room in sight. It's as lean and evocative as anything in gaming, and spreads out into so many imagined worlds. A perfect line.

Spoiler

outrun2006-14.jpg

"I wanna go far away."

• Upvote 6

@GamesGamesGames

Absolutely brilliant choice. I've only got into it properly in the last couple of weeks and that one line sums up everything I adore about it, and really everything I adore about gaming as a hobby. 

• Empathy 1

14 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@GamesGamesGames

Absolutely brilliant choice. I've only got into it properly in the last couple of weeks and that one line sums up everything I adore about it, and really everything I adore about gaming as a hobby. 

Oh it's a belter. It's so good that my mind has retrofitted it into the original, and I was surprised not to hear it earlier when I took it for a spin. That whole series of games is built around the one line for me these days.

"Now we know the legends were false. Legendary swords are useless. Useless against these dragons."

"I agree, guns are the best."

Probably slightly paraphrasing 

“I said stop the bus, not shoot the bus, stop......shoot, do those words sound the same to you?”

"When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me... but they try."

-Ben, Full Throttle

• Upvote 1

“That’s the ship. Move! We need to get aboard now!”

First time I heard that the count down had about twenty seconds left. That line, combined with the music, was a massive shot of adrenaline. I ran full pelt up the ramp, lobbing grenades and firing wildly. I made it with just a couple of seconds left and almost no health.

Amazing moment.

• Upvote 4

For evocative gaming quotes, I've never played the System Shock games but that famous SHODAN quote is essentially a perfect summary of all cyberpunk human-vs-AI stories:

• "Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?"

Speaking of malevolent AIs:

• "The Enrichment Center regrets to inform you that this next test is impossible. Make no attempt to solve it. [...] Fantastic. You remained resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism."
  • "Did you know you can donate one or all of your vital organs to the Aperture Science Self-Esteem Fund for Girls? It's true!"

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine. Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."

"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

Fighting games have had lots of memorable announcer phrases and win quotes:

• "Go home and be a family man!"
  • "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"
  • "The battle for survival begins... engage!" [MvsC2]
  • "Welcome back to the stage of history!"
  • "Maxi was seriously wounded! But the soul still burns..."
  • "Rare footage of Daigo actually angry..."

And of course...

SbcoPDT.png

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, bum said:

Your greed sickens me.  I hope your death will be a lesson to others.

Ghandi in one of the Civilisation games?

"Reaper. A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us is irrelevant. We simply are."

• Upvote 1

One of my favourite cutscenes is this from Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood:

Spoiler

Spoiler

"The lord forgave him?"

"YES!"

"A cold blooded murderer?"

"YES!"

BANG!

"Well, hell! That's good to know!"

• Upvote 1

Jill, here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

"When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me... but they try."

-Ben, Full Throttle

I'm not putting my lips on that.

• Upvote 2