IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Taking a wee break as I slam my head against a mini boss I really shouldn't be taking on yet.

Spoiler

Made it through the proto human caves. My tactic with the Nobles worked. Isolated one of the proto human bosses without alerting the other one and we eventually ganged up on him. The second one almost killed me but I ran away, killed the mobs distracting my Nobles and we piledrived the remaining boss. The cave emerged outside and I was surprised to find myself on the island! Killed some innocent crabs and the finger maiden transported me to the Roundtable hub at the next 'bonfire'. There's some interesting characters there, especially the silent rotting man, and the usual array of funny player messages. Also the lass from the Storm shack was there and I talked her and the blacksmith into her becoming a spirit tuner so I can buff my summons once I get the right materials.

Over the balcony in the roundtable there's a big hall and an NPC invasion summon. She wields a scythe and frost magic, definitely a throwback to Dark Souls 3 DLC boss Sister Friede (I still have nightmares). She can kill me in one combo and has a huge reach, and also chugs Estus (the cheater), but I think I can do this without levelling up. I just have to avoid the huge sweeping combo she does, which one-shots me and is really hard to dodge. The masochistic tendancies are kicking in again but I am going to try this a bit longer, if I give up its back to the island for me!

12 hours in - as with all the other sentiments, absolutely loving this. I'd already been getting well into the swing of things but the cherry on the cake was some recent co-op encounters who got me through some sticky patches. 

Shame that I'd not really had this kind of experience in the past, but this entry I think is far more forgiving despite the grandeur of the setting. Not sure if it's my favourite in the series though - I think it's certainly lacking from the visual polish and photo mode from Demons' Souls Remaster - but the sheer scope, spectacle and variety is amazing.

Can't quite remember the last time I was hooked to a game like this. 

Started playing this morning, it's just... good grief - the scale and sheer design that's gone into this world. Small touches like the Grace path subtly pointing you in the right direction without needing to press a button or set a waypoint.

Also, running the PS4 version on a PS5... seems like a rock solid 60 fps :D

If I get this on PS4 and get a PS5 before the world ends, but sometime in the future, will it upgrade for free? Is there a difference between getting disc or digital in this regard?

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Just come back to my PC to see this, anyone know what its for? 

d5c8f7d66794c639cd9b813f515e993d.png

Improvements to EAC and mouse sensitivity (still on onscreen menu for keyboards though, meaning it's impossible to know how to back out of most menus if you're insane enough to play it with keyboard and mouse). 

It also "reduces the amount of loading" which seems to have slightly shortened the freezes I was having, but it's still miles away from playable.

I haven't really processed how visceral attacks work. If I hit an enemy with a fully charged R2 attack it will sometimes stagger them. Does it have to connect while they are winding up an attack animation to work?

13 minutes ago, Popo said:

I haven't really processed how visceral attacks work. If I hit an enemy with a fully charged R2 attack it will sometimes stagger them. Does it have to connect while they are winding up an attack animation to work?

I think it depends on their poise/super armour.

Yeah, basically the bigger/stronger an enemy is, the more you have to attack them to get them to stagger. It's not related to their animations. Once they're staggered, they're vulnerable to a critical attack. Stand in front of them and tap R1 without pressing any direction on the stick. It won't work if you press forward and R1 for example.

I have no idea what I’m doing hahah. Where can I actually find gear? I’ve only managed to get a slightly better sword.

Margit is too hard for me just now and the wizard summon before him is useless. Doesn’t help that online isn’t working for me so I can’t do any proper summoning. 

10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I have no idea what I’m doing hahah. Where can I actually find gear? I’ve only managed to get a slightly better sword.

Margit is too hard for me just now and the wizard summon before him is useless. Doesn’t help that online isn’t working for me so I can’t do any proper summoning. 

presuming it’s all exactly like Dark Souls - which so far is the case - you should be able to beat the game with any weapon. You need to level up your Sword or what have you via a Smith or the Anvil beside Santa Claus. 

You use Smithstones to level it up, the troops nearby can drop them. Do that! Pump up you sword! 

Also level up, concentrate on Vigour and Endurance. There’s nuance to levelling a build but they’re the most important. The likes of Strength & Dexterity levelling is more to meet stat requirements to wield a weapon. You do get a damage output boost but it’s not as important as weapon levelling. 

Also put down you summons finger thing out side the boss door help others first

26 minutes ago, scottcr said:

If you're having trouble then don't be afraid to just go and explore; nearly every situation can be escaped from if you get in over your head. Kill whatever you can and make sure you cash in your runes at Points of Grace in order to level up. If you find some smithing stones, take them to the anvil in the broken church immediately in front of the starting area so you can upgrade your weapon. Make sure you've set your horse whistle to the d-pad so you can hightail it out of there at a moment's notice - I've set mine to Y + Up on the dpad, which makes it nice and simple. Unless you're sneaking in somewhere, generally you want to be on horseback as it makes you a lot more manoeuvrable. The horse combat in this game, in general, is excellent fun. I love circling around motherfuckers who are on foot and then running them down with a wicked slice to the spine as they try to flee from me and my horse goat.

Hyyyyaaaaah!

Still unsure as to how you're intended to progress in 

Spoiler

Stormveil Castle. I opened the front gate and quickly decided it was far too heavily defended, but I dropped off a roof that was housing a particularly nasty claw-bird and ended up stealthing past a load of ballistae anyway, possibly the same ones at the front gate, and fighting a big hulking fella with a curved sword. Currently at the 'liftside chamber' after this tense ordeal!

Edit: at Godrick now, which feels accidental. 😛

1 hour ago, Moz said:

It also "reduces the amount of loading" which seems to have slightly shortened the freezes I was having, but it's still miles away from playable.

It runs pretty much perfectly for me.

Very rare loading judders that are barely noticeable and certainly nothing like rendering the game unplayable.

No game has crawled into my brain like this since, well, Sekiro I guess. It's so good. :D

I've still yet to kill a proper boss. I've found one, which I can get down to about a quarter health but was probably a bit too tough for my current power level. I went exploring in completely the opposite direction instead, where I've found all sorts of interesting stuff. I've also found myself a 

Spoiler

shield fashioned out of a tortoise shell

so that was cool.

Still not got to Margit, been doing more exploring down south, east and NE. Only reason I've stopped is because the PS5 controller need charging (and my missus wanted to watch TV)

Was going to type up some of the adventures but I've done way too much lol. 

Got to the 

Spoiler

Roundtable Hold. Yay for Blacksmith. My Flail is now +4 :D 

Also some strange woman who wanted to cuddle lol. Gave me some sort of buff, no idea what it does.

I found a church in the same area as the lift that takes you deep, deep underground and a teleporter thing. This took me way to the NE of the map to a very, very scary place. 

Spoiler

There be dragons!

The rest of the time today was spent exploring the Weeping Peninsula. Delivered the letter I mentioned in my last post then found another route to go further south by accident (love it). Got to the boss who one-shot me so I've gone back to exploring the rest of the area.

Online has been broken for me on both PS5 and XBox so I presume it's a server issue at their end

On 25/02/2022 at 11:36, Uzi said:

Played the PC version for a few hours and not seen any huge technical issues, been smooth and reliable throughout. I know with PC's there are a zillion potential factors that an individual machine and software coulda fucked up but not seeing anywhere near the issues people were saying.

So if you have a decently powerful PC (I think a modern fast CPU is probably doing some lifting framerate stability wise) you should be fine!

DF have looked into this and apparently there are reports if you have a 12th gen intel CPU, the issues are less prevalent which makes sense why I've rarely seen it. 

You know what, I take back my snide comments about this looking like dragon's dogma. So what. It oozes atmosphere and ultimately, that's far more important.

My online is borked though, it always says failed to connect and so I get no messages or back up. 

The reason I said il stop until it's fixed is one of my favourite gaming moments of all time. The dark souls ' well of treasures'. I jumped straight on in to that mofo and laughed me head off. 

8 minutes ago, Uzi said:

DF have looked into this and apparently there are reports if you have a 12th gen intel CPU, the issues are less prevalent which makes sense why I've rarely seen it. 

I've got an i9-9900k, and its been fine. it seems to have a brief moment of loading stutter when starting the game while it clearly loads shaders, then fine!. And, when its clearly loading a "new area", it does that "im loading judder".

tbh though. i have actually lowered my res to 1080p from 1440p. ( and used mostly the recommended settings) and, lowered the power limit of my 2080ti by 10%...and now...its running a lot better!, and most importantly, using less power! im suddenly very conscious of power!