IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

And another two big guys down!!

Spoiler

Bloodhound Knight Darriwil and Leonine Misbegotten  Both went down after three or four attempts which was nice. 

Still stuck in Stormveil. Got to a courtyard but

Spoiler

There are TONNES of guards in there. Tried a run for it approach that ended very badly so not entirely sure how to proceed yet 😕

Pretty much all I've done is gone off in different directions until I've hit something way too hard, died, then gone off in a different direction and done the same, not even attempting to try to retrieve runes so only levelled up once so far.  Not the best way to make actual progress, but I'm enjoying the exploration, while feeling very weak.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Defeating Margit seems a long way away still. I’ve only got him down to half a bar so far.

Yeah I reached Margit today and I’m getting slaughtered. Decided to take a break and explore elsewhere, perhaps level up a bit more and I’ll come back. 
Shame you can’t use the horse to fight him!
I took down a big stone giant thing earlier while on horseback, it was epic! Once again I’m having flashbacks of Shadow of the Colossus! 

3 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Pretty much all I've done is gone off in different directions until I've hit something way too hard, died, then gone off in a different direction and done the same, not even attempting to try to retrieve runes so only levelled up once so far.  Not the best way to make actual progress, but I'm enjoying the exploration, while feeling very weak.

I think its fun to explore places, sneak up on an enemy find it does fuck all damage and run away going AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

On 25/02/2022 at 19:06, Colonel Panic said:

Is parry timing different in this? I suspect I’ve just got shit!!

yeah, I parried my way through the DS games and I can’t get it at all in this.

I’ve put about 3hrs in so far, just wandered about the starting area.  Started as a confessor but I’m just not using the magic, seriously considering restarting either as a class with offensive magic or back to my trusty longsword.

You’ll find there's a delay on a lot of summon signs - as in they’ve already gone to someone else’s world by the time you see it glow on your floor.

Just keep spamming them, it’ll work eventually.

I'm a lot worse at parrying in this, too, despite having used it as my go-to damage dealing method in most souls games. I thought it might be because I'm playing at 30fps at first, but I did that all the way through DS1 too. I've parried a few of the bosses, but with any other enemy it feels like I'm always too early.

The best thing about this game is it's like playing the first Dark Souls again. Not in terms of game play (though, y'know, it's a souls, innit?) but running the gamut of emotions from frustration, to elation, to wonder then back to frustration, into confusion for a bit, and so on. 

Just now, moosegrinder said:

The best thing about this game is it's like playing the first Dark Souls again. Not in terms of game play (though, y'know, it's a souls, innit?) but running the gamut of emotions from frustration, to elation, to wonder then back to frustration, into confusion for a bit, and so on. 

Yup!

I think the one great thing about this for me, is the sense of seeing it all is going to be a mammoth task. Once you beat DS you wished you could forget it and do it again. This will be the same no doubt! But damn can we extend that feeling! 

Why when playing this game does time disappear, yet when I go to bed, I can't sleep, or when I walked to the shops at lunch, a five minute walk felt like five hours. 

Bullshit. Had five days off work and were at the end of the third already. Raging worse than when Margit smashed my head off the castle bricks. 

So how long did people last after getting the lift down there for the first time. I thought I made ok progress but I've had to bail as it got way too much for me. This was from Siofra River Well.

Spoiler

Got to an area where you have to light 8 torches dotted around an open-ish area. I did three without much hassle before I realised the place was absolutely swarming with ghost bulls who tend to either appear five feet in front of you out of nowhere or snipe you with giant arrows from kilometres away. Fuck that.

Ha, goodbye

Spoiler

tree sentinel

Spoiler

! Hit him a couple of times, spirit did the rest and watched him gradually fade away and fall. He couldn't do anything about it. Lovely. 

Also some co-op for cash (so much fun, I'd forgotten) and mining for stones. So much fun. Must get back to Magrit at some point.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

This is me basically. 

I had no idea about the classes. I chose the prisoner because there wasn’t a hunter type that I normally go for, and the gimp mask was funny. 

47 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I'm a lot worse at parrying in this, too, despite having used it as my go-to damage dealing method in most souls games. I thought it might be because I'm playing at 30fps at first, but I did that all the way through DS1 too. I've parried a few of the bosses, but with any other enemy it feels like I'm always too early.

Glad I’m not the only one struggling a tad. I find they’re very (realistically) slow and I mis-time a lot of stuff. And if you’re hit once then you can’t seem to get up again. 

I’ve never played a Dark Souls or anything before. First time in. Find it interesting people say it’s the best ever. Right now, at the start, it’s nowhere near Red Dead Redemption 2 for me for example. 

16 minutes ago, Majora said:

So how long did people last after getting the lift down there for the first time. I thought I made ok progress but I've had to bail as it got way too much for me. This was from Siofra River Well.

Hide contents

Got to an area where you have to light 8 torches dotted around an open-ish area. I did three without much hassle before I realised the place was absolutely swarming with ghost bulls who tend to either appear five feet in front of you out of nowhere or snipe you with giant arrows from kilometres away. Fuck that.

Those are the archers I mentioned earlier that did me in mere feet from the next Grace. 

I’m not even sure if I even want to light them all, considering what I suspect will happen when I do…

On 25/02/2022 at 09:33, nightwaxon said:

So tempted to get this.  Hated Demon Souls.  Bloodborne was much better, but still too difficult for me.  Got about two thirds of the way through and lost interest. Is this going to convert me? The premise sounds amazing.  But I think I know the answer to this already, sadly. 

OK. All your enthusiasm in this thread has made me cave and I've ordered. I've gone for the PS4 version (it's the only way I can play it), so the best version ;) . Its a pro too. You're all gits, and I hate you all. So looking forward to starting it.

Oh, and I noticed some great incidental lore/storytelling under the tree:

Spoiler

After you beat the stone dog/cat thing you can see corpses tangled up in the roots as if trying to climb up. Outside the area you can see “hollows” clawing at the ground, trying to do the same. And I think one of the NPCs said that to “live as the dead” you need to reach the tree…

Also reminded me of similar imagery in Y’arghul in Bloodborne.