IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

Does it ever properly explain why you can and can't use ash summons in certain areas. Saying you can only use them when you have a glowing gate icon on the left of the screen seems unusually lazy for From otherwise. Feels like a weird band-aid/UI crutch.

I'd also like to know this. It seems very arbitrary. Sometimes the game just says 'Nope' and you can't use them. There's been a few situations with multiple enemies where they would have been very useful but I'm barred from using them.

All of this "finger" lore is clearly just one massive in joke, because of one of the most common message memes in Dark Souls being ones placed next to bent over undead corpses that say "try finger".

I'm trying to work out if there is a bit in the first big castle area that was an intentional joke

Spoiler

Regarding when you meet some potboys in a courtyard

Spoiler

Potdad bursts out at you from behind some debris, and all I could think of was

tumblr_lmjzawTTJw1qc2vw9o1_500.gif

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'd also like to know this. It seems very arbitrary. Sometimes the game just says 'Nope' and you can't use them. There's been a few situations with multiple enemies where they would have been very useful but I'm barred from using them.

Sometimes it seems locked because there's an implication that another character might be present. For instance:

Spoiler

The Forlorn Hound Evergaol allows you to let Blaidd tag along, which seems to imply other Evergaols also allow for character co-op and those will thus take 'the spot' of a normal summon? But then in catacombs it can allow coop, but no summon...

It's very touchy-feely at the moment, though I just see it as something that comes with whatever challenge they've designed. A more common blanket rule would've been nice though.

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That doesn't always work though, depends on story events and what you've triggered.

You need the horse first, yeah. I started a new character on PC and got Torrent in five minutes, then warped to the church and got the summoning bell. In my first game on PS4 I was without Torrent for five hours.

35 minutes ago, Majora said:

Does it ever properly explain why you can and can't use ash summons in certain areas. Saying you can only use them when you have a glowing gate icon on the left of the screen seems unusually lazy for From otherwise. Feels like a weird band-aid/UI crutch.

The glowing gate means your near a "Rebirth Monument". It's like a pillar with message symbol on top.

It's that which allows you to use the ashes - the glowing symbol is just another indicator you're in range.

I expect there was lore reason given why the Ashes only work by monuments but I didn't hear it.

Radahn is absolutely kicking my ass

Lvl 22 now and I can get Margit down to about half health.  I think I need to go for a different tactic with more projectiles.  Should I be able to take him down easy at this level?

Enjoyed wandering around the first area for about 10 hours - this game is sodding HUGE! 

49 minutes ago, Majora said:

It was the the same in all the other games when it came to summoning other players and NPCs. Some areas you could, some you couldn't. Except in the previous games they didn't even do you the courtesy of showing an icon, from what I can remember.

I’ve cached in my horde of smithing stones and gone from a +4 Claymore to a +8 Heavy Claymore (I also clearly worked out some weapon arts swap weapons to heavy).

Oh my. I like it. I like it a lot.

16 minutes ago, Hexx said:

The glowing gate means your near a "Rebirth Monument". It's like a pillar with message symbol on top.

Woah, is the message on top not left by players? I thought somebody had stood on them and placed messages...

Radahn is such a cool boss and arena. I just ran around like a headless chicken and managed on my second attempt. Maybe I'm overlevelled. I'm still using my starting broadsword which is now a +6. I'm wanting to swap to a strength/faith weapon though...

I like this game now but I don’t understand it at all. Killed the giant fucking troll at the gatehouse, ran up the hill to the next gatehouse and got utterly destroyed again and again by some explosive arrow war machine. 

oh well. I’ll go off and git gud somewhere else for a while

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

Woah, is the message on top not left by players? I thought somebody had stood on them and placed messages...

Radahn is such a cool boss and arena. I just ran around like a headless chicken and managed on my second attempt. Maybe I'm overlevelled. I'm still using my starting broadsword which is now a +6. I'm wanting to swap to a strength/faith weapon though...

Let me know when you find that weapon, also doing Str/Fth build.

13 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I thought this too.  So much to learn from in this thread. That world map :omg:

I'm 16.5 hours into this and whilst I am really enjoying it I don't seem to be making much progress with my character who is still wearing all the default gear and weaponry. I've upgraded the sword to +4 but because I haven't got smithing stone 2 I can't augment it any more even though I've got a stone 4 which apparently upgrades to +12.

I'm also a bit wary about the ashes of war as they seem to nerf the power of the weapons they're attached to.

Still, the exploration is wonderful and I appreciate that there are some areas which are relatively straight forward. Wish I was as good as the game needs me to be. Never thought I'd say that.

I got to Grimlock in the castle or whatever his name is at around level 27 and got stomped. Went off for an explore instead, went to the east where the skies red, got stomped by a giant rat thing. So then I carefully went around the perimeter and got shot by a bow and arrow offscreen, instant killed. Went exploring in the north instead, found what looked like some sort of alchemy base, a magician appeared in front of me then shot me with a magic arrow the size of a small caravan, insta killed. Went exploring near the marshland, went near one of the golden trees, boss appeared, died in two hits. Went all the way to the south, found a blue sphere near the cliffs that transported me to a Gaol boss - Absolutely arsed raped me. Lol.

Elden Ring is probably the most hostile, unfriendly open world game ever created (which is why a lot of people will love it i'm sure) but I got fed up and took it to cex, they are paying £36 for it so worked out £9 for 12 or so hours gameplay was still decent.

Bloodborne continues to be the only From game I clicked with, I loved it enough to platinum it, though that game had it's problems with obscure shit too. Stand in front of this monster and do this gesture for 30 seconds, who is ever going to figure that out without google lmao?

Just now, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've upgraded the sword to +4 but because I haven't got smithing stone 2 I can't augment it any more even though I've got a stone 4 which apparently upgrades to +12.

Looking at where to find these stones I've definitely picked a few up but they've gone from my inventory. Annoyed.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

It's 

Reveal hidden contents

Called Marika's Veil, I think. It lets you spend FP to disguise yourself as an object in the world, like a pot or candelabra or something. In previous games it would be a good way to hide from invaders, but in this game the invaders can see where you are on their compass, so I'm not sure what function it serves.

The lore it gives you is interesting, though, all about how Godrick is a massive coward and was expelled from the capital.

Ace, thank you! I swear some people earlier in the thread said it was a key but that didn't seem familiar (searched the thread but couldn't find the posts I remembered), but maybe that was a different chest. I have tried that item out though! Funny results, but not sure I can get it to work as intended :)

5 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I got to Grimlock in the castle or whatever his name is at around level 27 and got stomped. Went off for an explore instead, went to the east where the skies red, got stomped by a giant rat thing. So then I carefully went around the perimeter and got shot by a bow and arrow offscreen, instant killed. Went exploring in the north instead, found what looked like some sort of alchemy base, a magician appeared in front of me then shot me with a magic arrow the size of a small caravan, insta killed. Went exploring near the marshland, went near one of the golden trees, boss appeared, died in two hits. Went all the way to the south, found a blue sphere near the cliffs that transported me to a Gaol boss - Absolutely arsed raped me. Lol.

Elden Ring is probably the most hostile, unfriendly open world game ever created (which is why a lot of people will love it i'm sure) but I got fed up and took it to cex, they are paying £36 for it so worked out £9 for 12 or so hours gameplay was still decent.

Bloodborne continues to be the only From game I clicked with, I loved it enough to platinum it, though that game had it's problems with obscure shit too. Stand in front of this monster and do this gesture for 30 seconds, who is ever going to figure that out without google lmao?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/hidetaka-miyazaki-sees-death-as-a-feature-not-a-bug

5 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm 16.5 hours into this and whilst I am really enjoying it I don't seem to be making much progress with my character who is still wearing all the default gear and weaponry. I've upgraded the sword to +4 but because I haven't got smithing stone 2 I can't augment it any more even though I've got a stone 4 which apparently upgrades to +12.

I'm also a bit wary about the ashes of war as they seem to nerf the power of the weapons they're attached to.

Still, the exploration is wonderful and I appreciate that there are some areas which are relatively straight forward. Wish I was as good as the game needs me to be. Never thought I'd say that.

That's about the level I was at for the same amount of time played. I then went into very, very uncharted waters and came back to "civilisation" with lots of upgrade materials, enabling me to get my sword to +10. I also found a lot of gear, new merchants etc.

If you're curious about how I was able to go on such a raid:

Spoiler

You can go around the castle without fighting Margit...

29 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Let me know when you find that weapon, also doing Str/Fth build.

I picked up a weapon that needs 30 faith from...

Spoiler

the invader fight in the Roundtable Hold. Jump down.

I'll let you know if it's any good.

For me, as my first souls game I can see its made a lot of changes to make this type of game more accessible while clearly still being the same style of game.  Its absolutely rock hard and full of systems I have no idea about. and it doesn't care to tell or explain anything - and my brain doesn't want to learn, being so used to games that hand everything to me on a plate. Should be the worst game ever.  But the map is so well designed and beautiful you can just gallop across on your horse and explore.  Thing is, I generally dislike open world games, I want missions and icons so I feel a sense of achievement every time I play for an hour.  My game time is limited so I want to earn something, an achievement or a level up. Yet last night I played 90 mins when everyone was in bed and I didn't have an icon to chase, a mission to deliver or a goal.  I just explored, took out some low level beasts and avoided the bigger ones.  I didn't feel any pressure to do anything - it was almost relaxing? - this isn't normal for me.  Then today a few co-op games with @papalazarou, again just picking a direction and seeing what we found - I think the limit is 2 in co-op and it locks off part of the world but it was good craic.  Then on lunch I wanted to get into the castle so I could do a minor quest to unlock the lady who powers up your spirit ashes.  Offered myself as summoned help to a few random players online then summonsed people to help me, beat him on the 2nd go with me dying at the same time as the boss, but it counted as him being defeated for me.  I remember fighting him on the first day on my own and being pure shitting myself.  I can see its a long game, demanding hours and hours of play.  I may never finish it, may well through the head up some day but im glad I bought it and am playing it. 

I was just looking at the IMDB entry to see if Sean Bean is in it (he's not) and I found...

Spoiler

image.png.20acd792519ab6f660b91416a8261424.png

CORRRRRRRBYYYYYYNNNN!!!! *shakes fist*

Gemma Whelan is also in this (Game of Thrones, Upstart Crow)

On 28/02/2022 at 20:09, Majora said:

I have jellyfish leveled to +5 now and it is an absolute tank. Kind of ridiculous really.

Ohhh, how do you upgrade your summons?

This lunch I thought I'd just have another run round Limgrave as there are two mini bosses I had forgotten about and, despite having put over 30 hours into the game with most of that being in Limgrave, I discovered two new areas I'd not visited (a very handy mine and a small island). Amazing.

I now definitely need to go back and deal with that dragon as I need it's heart and then I think I must have cleared the whole area. 

There is so much content and almost none of it follows the tired and cliched norms of pretty much all other open world games. Fuck alone knows where Miyazaki goes after this but I cannot wait to see it (please be Bloodborne 2)....

@Popo

Spoiler

The zero self-esteem woman who gave you the jellyfish moves to the Roundtable Hold. After exhausting some dialogue with her and the blacksmith (passing time helps) she sets up opposite him as a spirit tuner allowing you to upgrade them with flowers found at graveyards and in catacombs.