Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Ohhh, how do you upgrade your summons?

Spoiler

The lady you spoke with in the shack in the very early game, and who is now residing in Roundtable, is your friend...

5 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Doing the Peninsula today.

Did the castle, beat my second erdtree avatar, and just got fucked up by some bat/harpy thing with a beautiful singing voice!

This game.

This was among one of From's most beautiful trolls.

What's that sound...? Must be an NPC? Here? Here? Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh my face

23 minutes ago, fattakin said:

For me, as my first souls game I can see its made a lot of changes to make this type of game more accessible while clearly still being the same style of game.  Its absolutely rock hard and full of systems I have no idea about. and it doesn't care to tell or explain anything - and my brain doesn't want to learn, being so used to games that hand everything to me on a plate. Should be the worst game ever.  But the map is so well designed and beautiful you can just gallop across on your horse and explore.  Thing is, I generally dislike open world games, I want missions and icons so I feel a sense of achievement every time I play for an hour.  My game time is limited so I want to earn something, an achievement or a level up. Yet last night I played 90 mins when everyone was in bed and I didn't have an icon to chase, a mission to deliver or a goal.  I just explored, took out some low level beasts and avoided the bigger ones.  I didn't feel any pressure to do anything - it was almost relaxing? - this isn't normal for me.  Then today a few co-op games with @papalazarou, again just picking a direction and seeing what we found - I think the limit is 2 in co-op and it locks off part of the world but it was good craic.  Then on lunch I wanted to get into the castle so I could do a minor quest to unlock the lady who powers up your spirit ashes.  Offered myself as summoned help to a few random players online then summonsed people to help me, beat him on the 2nd go with me dying at the same time as the boss, but it counted as him being defeated for me.  I remember fighting him on the first day on my own and being pure shitting myself.  I can see its a long game, demanding hours and hours of play.  I may never finish it, may well through the head up some day but im glad I bought it and am playing it. 

It should be the worst game ever because it doesn’t hand you everything on a plate?!? :huh:

10 hours ago, Len said:

My pc version just updated again. Thriling I know. ;) 

edit:

Ok hang on. I'm scrolling through some of the replies in that thread.....are invisible enemies actually unintentional? Because with Souls it's hard to tell. In fact I feel like previous Souls games have had them, though maybe that's just, er, ashen-tinted glasses?

Volcano Manor... What the fuck? :ph34r:

Spoiler

Got shoved inside an enemy's oven in the second dungeon. Was expecting to just respawn at the last grace site but I'm here instead and have no clue where to go. Think I'm gonna have to wave goodbye to those souls I dropped 😂

Spent ages last night getting the torches in the underground river area lit - I died many many many times, but figured it would be worthwhile.

Oh - another boss that killed me in one hit.

argh.

I don't understand why I can't summon in this area nor use spirt ashes - I suspect that boss is just far too beyond me just now, just like the other bosses I've ran away from.  

I would like to make *some* progress

Enjoyable fight at the end of Stormveil. Made it through by the skin of my teeth on 5th or 6th go. Am I right in remembering that NPC summoning can sometimes progress quests (Solaire?). I tried out the NPC lady for this but she died pretty quickly on first attempt so didn't bother with her.

Pic of me just about getting away with it:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fb28aadc11cbd3764edb1a3e9f9fb58f.png

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

also - when I'm playing, there quite often appears a 'gate' icon on the left hand side - or what looks like a gate.  Anyone know what that is?

Fast moving thread but covered some pages ago - it means your in an area where you can soul ash summon

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

also - when I'm playing, there quite often appears a 'gate' icon on the left hand side - or what looks like a gate.  Anyone know what that is?

Means you can use spirit summons in that area (the jellyfish etc.).

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

Volcano Manor... What the fuck? :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Got shoved inside an enemy's oven in the second dungeon. Was expecting to just respawn at the last grace site but I'm here instead and have no clue where to go. Think I'm gonna have to wave goodbye to those souls I dropped 😂

This was me last night.

Spoiler

I was fuckin raging. :lol:

Edit: If you wanted to summon me, I could get back down there and we could try to give it a crack?? I did it once with another player already. It's still tricky, but managable with two players.

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I like this game now but I don’t understand it at all. Killed the giant fucking troll at the gatehouse, ran up the hill to the next gatehouse and got utterly destroyed again and again by some explosive arrow war machine. 

oh well. I’ll go off and git gud somewhere else for a while

I bet you unleashed a torrent of swearing when that kept happening.

That walking structure...

Spoiler

What's it for? I hit it's legs to make it fall, went inside and gave it a blessing (what does that do btw) and nothing happened. 

Also 

Spoiler

I found a lift that went down for fucking ages. Ran I to some baddies and they seemed to hit pretty hard. Is that a late game area? Has it something to do with the Grace's?

38 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I was just looking at the IMDB entry to see if Sean Bean is in it (he's not) and I found...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.20acd792519ab6f660b91416a8261424.png

CORRRRRRRBYYYYYYNNNN!!!! *shakes fist*

Gemma Whelan is also in this (Game of Thrones, Upstart Crow)

Also was convinced it was Sean Bean!

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Spent ages last night getting the torches in the underground river area lit - I died many many many times, but figured it would be worthwhile.

Oh - another boss that killed me in one hit.

argh.

I don't understand why I can't summon in this area nor use spirt ashes - I suspect that boss is just far too beyond me just now, just like the other bosses I've ran away from.  

I would like to make *some* progress

Do you mean the

Spoiler

stag

?

I don't know what level you are but I don't think that's intended to be an especially tough one - it didn't seem to hit that hard and I was only mid 20s or something when I did it recently. Think I've got a video if you want to see how.

OTOH, if you mean the

Spoiler

Dragonkin soldier

then, yeah, come back much later. But I don't think the torches unlock access to him - think he's there anyway?

5 minutes ago, hmm said:

Do you mean the

Reveal hidden contents

stag

?

I don't know what level you are but I don't think that's intended to be an especially tough one - it didn't seem to hit that hard and I was only mid 20s or something when I did it recently. Think I've got a video if you want to see how.

Here's my crack at it. I can't remember what level I was but it's such a chill fight that I didn't mind taking my time, listening to the lovely music.

Spoiler

I can't remember who was asking earlier but the brass covered armour set I was wearing earlier is called the cleanrot set. Just youtube search for it. There's plenty of guides. I basically farmed two mobs (The blood blade ashes murders them) for about 20 minutes for the full set. Super close to the grace point and riding between islands is key. Torrent can't get the rot

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Lvl 22 now and I can get Margit down to about half health.  I think I need to go for a different tactic with more projectiles.  Should I be able to take him down easy at this level?

One thing to bear in mind with this game is that the levle of your WEAPONS AND GEAR is more important than your man, really.  Especially for beating bosses.  

I'd recommend all newbies (well, it's what I'm doing too really) level Vigor as a priority to get more HP and make sure you survive a bit longer.  Then concentrate on upgrading one weapon to about +6 before trying to beat Margit.   You got this!

4 minutes ago, Flub said:

I can't remember who was asking earlier but the brass covered armour set I was wearing earlier is called the cleanrot set. Just youtube search for it. There's plenty of guides. I basically farmed two mobs (The blood blade ashes murders them) for about 20 minutes for the full set. Super close to the grace point and riding between islands is key. Torrent can't get the rot

It was me, but i've since checked the stats and its too heavy for my current build. I'll grind it at some point.

For now the Carian Knight (Altered) set is doing me just fine and it looks nice with blue shawl i'm wearing.

2 minutes ago, robdood said:

One thing to bear in mind with this game is that the levle of your WEAPONS AND GEAR is more important than your man, really.  Especially for beating bosses.  

I'd recommend all newbies (well, it's what I'm doing too really) level Vigor as a priority to get more HP and make sure you survive a bit longer.  Then concentrate on upgrading one weapon to about +6 before trying to beat Margit.   You got this!

Brilliant - thanks mate. +6 could be interesting to get to but I will take a look around and see what I can find! 

14 hours ago, robdood said:

I keep getting auto summoned for the stupid easy bosses in Limgrave

#HUMBLEBRAG

I just lost about 15k in runes by being impatient. You know when you think you can just run back to where you died without all the usual caution, and then you get sloppy, and then you scream....

Not really changed my armour much from the default starting set of the confessor, as not found anything I like

Got some tasty incantations on my guy now

Need to get more somber smithing stones 5 so I can level up my 2 main weapons

Headed underground and defeated another optional boss

Now to figure out where I want to venture next

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I got to Grimlock in the castle or whatever his name is at around level 27 and got stomped. Went off for an explore instead, went to the east where the skies red, got stomped by a giant rat thing. So then I carefully went around the perimeter and got shot by a bow and arrow offscreen, instant killed. Went exploring in the north instead, found what looked like some sort of alchemy base, a magician appeared in front of me then shot me with a magic arrow the size of a small caravan, insta killed. Went exploring near the marshland, went near one of the golden trees, boss appeared, died in two hits. Went all the way to the south, found a blue sphere near the cliffs that transported me to a Gaol boss - Absolutely arsed raped me. Lol.

Elden Ring is probably the most hostile, unfriendly open world game ever created (which is why a lot of people will love it i'm sure) but I got fed up and took it to cex, they are paying £36 for it so worked out £9 for 12 or so hours gameplay was still decent.

Bloodborne continues to be the only From game I clicked with, I loved it enough to platinum it, though that game had it's problems with obscure shit too. Stand in front of this monster and do this gesture for 30 seconds, who is ever going to figure that out without google lmao?

I think it comes down to how you play the game. I’ve roamed a huge amount of the world - far north, Far East, far west and been to late game areas, with a base character and starting weapon. Hardly anything attacks you and you can easily avoid the stuff that does. It’s far from hostile and unfriendly. You can just explore, find items and level up without, for the most part, fighting. It’s clearly designed to be like that and it’s absolutely fantastic. I’ve only just started to use the horse for combat too, which makes things even easier. Levelled up properly and with decent gear, I’m pretty sure most of the stuff I’ve encountered so far wouldn’t be that difficult.

Even at base level there’s a vast amount of stuff you can tackle. For example, after almost 50hrs playing I’ve found whole areas of the map I’ve missed in Limgrave, with hidden items, shopkeepers, dungeons, mini bosses, shortcuts etc.

Now bloodstains are working I've been having a great laugh at cliff edge corners, where you can see tons of horseback people try to turn around - but because of the turning circle they just drop off the edge, you can always see the panic as they they realise what's happening :lol:

I just found a neat roaming boss (W) that gave me unexpected Bloodborne vibes :D 

Spoiler

Wormface! He's like the bigger brother of those Cthulhu beefcakes from BB!

I died a couple of times because I didn't know that status ailment, but it wasn't too bad.

17 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Spent most of the evening on the MW/CK tag team in Redman Castle. My current lame strategy is to do as much damage to MW before he tags in his boyfriend, but I've had varying success with this. The main trouble is that MW often staggers from hits and lets me go ham... until he doesn't, and then I pay for my recklessness. And even with my tanky build MW can blow through my defence, and he's got auto-tracking overheads because of course he has. I can get the critical strike on MW sometimes and I can almost kill him before CK starts his shit, but it's very messy.

E: and wasn't MW the thing down at Morne Mongrave? Who I already beat to get a weapon I can't equip? :facepalm:

Okay what the fuck. :lol: I've come back after dicking around and

Spoiler

the boss encounter is gone! I must have triggered a world event that moved time forward or something. It's just some chill NPCs hanging out.