IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

15 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m at the point where I’ll summons hawners whenever I can. Life’s too short to try and do some of these by myself.

btw, I’m finding the lore a bit impenetrable - even more so than dark souls. How are folks deciphering the story?

image.png.3655e0d6f1cbb0e996fc1ff13e45bf3a.png

:P;)

On 06/03/2022 at 10:28, robdood said:

And a question about something I was unsure about. I went through a cave on the West of the lakes (after following the ghost) and.. 

Reveal hidden contents

At the end, I came out in a small clearing with an npc, a woman with a wolf. She talks about something that has happened but I've got no idea what's she's on about. Is this something I'll figure out as I continue or have I missed something? There seemed to be nothing else in this area except for a grace site. 

I don't want to know exactly where to go or anything, just want to make sure I've not missed anything in that small area. 

You've probably already beaten him, he's in the first Castle.

56 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is the Capital the last section? Was advised to go this way but I'm getting totally destroyed by a tree sentinel before I even get in. 

Really getting on my tits. 

Nope.

48 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m at the point where I’ll summons hawners whenever I can. Life’s too short to try and do some of these by myself.

btw, I’m finding the lore a bit impenetrable - even more so than dark souls. How are folks deciphering the story?

Wait for Vaati to explain it :lol:

46 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t know actually, it’s just literally outside Volcano manor. 

Cool, I’ll check that out later :) 

Roundtable Hold updates - only open if you’ve done two or three main bosses

Spoiler

Rogier is dead, infected by death curse beneath Stormveil and slowly succumbed to it in Roundtable. I got his hat. 

D is also dead, murdered by Fia although I don’t really understand why. D was a death hunter and she called herself a Deaths Companion, so maybe he was hunting her? Dunno. She killed him and peaced out. I’m wearing his suit of armour now which statistically is worse than what I had but looks cooler and looks > everything else.

2 hours ago, Alask said:

Anyone else regretting not taking notes about what quests NPCs have asked you to do? It’s got to the point where it’s now entirely random whether I complete a quest or not

I’ve started dropping markers on where I find NPCs. But they’re this stupid pale green colour which just blends into the background in places like The Lakes. Not helpful. 

I’ve also noticed that new NPCs appear in places after bosses are killed. And it’s always worth going back to chat to one after something in the world has changed.  

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Is the Capital the last section? Was advised to go this way but I'm getting totally destroyed by a tree sentinel before I even get in. 

Really getting on my tits. 

I ended up ditching Torrent for that one. Otherwise it was impossible to dodge his ranged red attacks.

29 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I have a Google Sheet open on my phone while I'm playing which I treat kind of like an index of all the proper nouns in the game. If I find an item which has a little lore nugget, or if someone tells me something about someone or something, I'll add it to that entry in the index.

My entry for Roderika, for example, is as follows:

"The Stormview Shack girl. A Tarnished. A spirit tuner. Crestfallen. On her way to become grafted but became scared and then went to the RTH. Hewg says she has the same eyes as someone he knew long ago."

I've added little bits and bobs to it over time the more I learn about her.

Lore hunting is great! This is the first time in a Souls game I've done it properly. I'm slowly piecing things together while trying to avoid spoilers. It makes every new item you pick up really satisfying as, even if you don't plan on using it, there's normally a bit of lore attached to it. There are currently over 100 entries in my index. It's my own personal Wiki 🤓:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20220308-181645.thumb.png.0c488de745e9d5c6e3f995eb657e3be8.png

The only thing that makes it difficult is when you can't get NPCs to repeat something. I've started recording each new conversation I have with an NPC so I can play it back to myself afterwards and make a note of anything.

Actually, the other thing that makes it difficult is that everyone's fucking name starts with either a G, M or R and it's easy to get confused. I think this is the biggest influence George RR has has on the story.

That spreadsheet is so cool. Wish I'd done that. Would you mind sharing the whole thing?

I started this the other night whilst I’m in the throes of finishing RDR2, and not only did I have no fucking idea what was going on, I’d forgotten the RDR2 controls when I went back to it after three hours of this.

1 minute ago, Jammy said:

I started this the other night whilst I’m in the throes of finishing RDR2, and not only did I have no fucking idea what was going on, I’d forgotten the RDR2 controls when I went back to it after three hours of this.

Same! With RDR2, as well! I’ll finish it, one day…

Today I've done some more exploration of Liurna of the Lakes

Spoiler

I really feel like I've fucked it for myself a bit by doing Caelid and the Dragonbarrow first (well, done some of them anyway). For example I killed the Erdtree Avatar in the Dragonbarrow. Took quite a few attempts, but it was very instructive in learning its moves. Today I did the Liurna Erdtree Avatar. Took like five hits. I almost felt sorry for it. Then I went back to the Roundtable Hold and the lighting was all weird...

Spoiler

An invader! Elza of the Royal Bloodline, or something like that. Five R1s of my Lordsworn's Heavy Greatsword +14 was all it took to kill her. Then the victory text came on screen "Great Enemy Felled" lol! I don't know what the trigger is to make her appear, but evidently I should have done it earlier!

I was convinced there was more to do in Caria manor after the boss and lo and behold…

Spoiler

Coming out at Three Sisters you can follow the outside of the manor round to the left and drop down, eventually reaching a merchant in the upper level of the chapel

There’s probably more too. These are the bits I live the most in this game, those moments were you think…I wonder if….a-ha! 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

That IS Volcano Manor 🤣

And he isnt the last boss.

10 minutes ago, dug said:

Today I've done some more exploration of Liurna of the Lakes

Hide contents

I really feel like I've fucked it for myself a bit by doing Caelid and the Dragonbarrow first (well, done some of them anyway). For example I killed the Erdtree Avatar in the Dragonbarrow. Took quite a few attempts, but it was very instructive in learning its moves. Today I did the Liurna Erdtree Avatar. Took like five hits. I almost felt sorry for it. Then I went back to the Roundtable Hold and the lighting was all weird...

Hide contents

An invader! Elza of the Royal Bloodline, or something like that. Five R1s of my Lordsworn's Heavy Greatsword +14 was all it took to kill her. Then the victory text came on screen "Great Enemy Felled" lol! I don't know what the trigger is to make her appear, but evidently I should have done it earlier!

Spoiler

Ensha of the Royal Remains. And he’s a he. 

Bought a new Dual Sense which arrived today while Sony dick me about with the other one. I've missed playing this too much lol.

Thought I would head north after Raya Lucaria but I've hit a dead end

Spoiler

Found the lift but I don't have the other half of the medallion yet. Headed to Caria Manor but I'm way under levelled for there and then I headed up the hill to the right before the lift and got murdered by madness coming from a tower (and hellish rats!)

Is it Caelid I need to go to next? I also feel under levelled for there

1 minute ago, Hawklord said:

Bought a new Dual Sense which arrived today while Sony dick me about with the other one. I've missed playing this too much lol.

Thought I would head north after Raya Lucaria but I've hit a dead end

Hide contents

Found the lift but I don't have the other half of the medallion yet. Headed to Caria Manor but I'm way under levelled for there and then I headed up the hill to the right before the lift and got murdered by madness coming from a tower (and hellish rats!)

Is it Caelid I need to go to next? I also feel under levelled for there

Altus

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

All the town leading up to it? I got sent to the manor early as part of a quest chain but have only today gone and explored the surrounding areas. 

Yes, that entire area is Volcano Manor.