IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

18 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve just remembered the quests so far and not missed one yet. 

How can you be sure you haven't missed any though?

I keep finding new areas in places that I thought I had rinsed so could easily miss an NPC or two. Just today I found a whole new catacomb on the edge of Limgrave, a mine, a tunnel, a giant golem I'd missed and a few other buts and pieces whilst having a chilled ride around Limgrave and (slilghtly less chilled) Caleid. It's just incredible just how much stuff is packed into this...

My biggest gripe at the moment is that my sword levelling has been stalled at +7 for a few days which makes even the most basic of grunts north of Stormveil and almost everything in Caleid more of a chore than I would like them to be. Anything above such a grunt and it's a full on duel. Bosses are just being walked away from until I can level the sword up bar one or two that I have dealt with OK.

I've got 55 hours on the clock now and am am at Level 55 so that is pleasing.

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

How can you be sure you haven't missed any though?

I keep finding new areas in places that I thought I had rinsed so could easily miss an NPC or two. Just today I found a whole new catacomb on the edge of Limgrave, a mine, a tunnel, a giant golem I'd missed and a few other buts and pieces whilst having a chilled ride around Limgrave and (slilghtly less chilled) Caleid. It's just incredible just how much stuff is packed into this...

My biggest gripe at the moment is that my sword levelling has been stalled at +7 for a few days which makes even the most basic of grunts north of Stormveil and almost everything in Caleid more of a chore than I would like them to be. Anything above such a grunt and it's a full on duel. Bosses are just being walked away from until I can level the sword up bar one or two that I have dealt with OK.

I've got 55 hours on the clock now and am am at Level 55 so that is pleasing.

Well I can’t say I haven’t missed any if I don’t know about them, but neither could anyone else. Regardless, the ones I’ve found I haven’t needed to write down to continue, is what I meant. 

3 hours ago, Majora said:

Leveling up spirits makes an enormous difference to their longevity. A +5 spirit is a completely different beast to a +1 spirit. It isn't even hard to get multiple up to around +5 in the early to mid game either

I'm trying to avoid using them tbf as I quite enjoy learning bosses and so on but, should things start to get a chore, I will try and upgrade the blob.

20 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Radahn is an absolute fucking joke.

Game is a GOAT contender but they’ve messed up bigtime with that one.

I think it is a good idea, somewhat poorly executed. Specifically the first 1-2 mins is always identical and gets very tedious. Skip the ranged stuff and have everyone summoned already at the start and it would be less annoying.

There’s a certain Valiant duo underground who can just fuck off! I’ve got the second of them down to the final bit of health a couple of times, but it seems totally random if I can repeat it again or they just spam all the moves on you. Really annoying now. 

Edit: As is the way, after ranting about it I beat it 5min later with most of my flasks left. 

I'm getting nowhere in this now. Even if I go exploring I end up in a place that just destroys me. 

Seems my only option is to farm out runes at the boulder. And fuck that. 

Every piece of armour I pick up is shite compared to the one I have been using for 35 hours. Every weapon is shite including the one I have been using pretty much the entire game. 

Im getting perplexed by what skills I need to play this. I block with a shield, I still get fucking destroyed by magic dudes. I roll around and it seems random if I avoid an attack or not (far more so with bosses). 

I have never been more perplexed with myself playing a game than this. I fucking hate so much about it. But I keep going back to it and progressing maybe a tiny bit before calling it quits. I struggle to play more than an hour but I always go back for more punishment. 

I'm honestly losing my bloody mind. 😆

29 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ah, cool cool. It was pretty fun! 

Its amazing.

And….. 

Spoiler

Totally optional! Apparently you can skip the entire dungeon and go straight to the boss by doing all the quests! 

1 minute ago, kempstar said:

Its amazing.

And….. 

Hide contents

Totally optional! Apparently you can skip the entire dungeon and go straight to the boss by doing all the quests! 

Yeah. 

Spoiler

I know who the big boss of the manor is, and that you get to him via the quests, but hadn’t realised the whole outdoor bit was part of the dungeon and could lead to the boss that way. 

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm getting nowhere in this now. Even if I go exploring I end up in a place that just destroys me. 

Every piece of armour I pick up is shite compared to the one I have been using for 35 hours. Every weapon is shite including the one I have been using pretty much the entire game. 

Im getting perplexed by what skills I need to play this. I block with a shield, I still get fucking destroyed by magic dudes. I roll around and it seems random if I avoid an attack or not (far more so with bosses). 

I have never been more perplexed with myself playing a game than this. I fucking hate so much about it. But I keep going back to it and progressing maybe a tiny bit before calling it quits. I struggle to play more than an hour but I always go back for more punishment. 

Armor is shite. Rolling and avoiding hits is what you want to do. When you block with a shield it eats up your endurance. Which you need to save. So you can hit things.

Weapons are absolutely not shite. Choosing a weapon that scales with your stats, and that you like the moveset of, AND that you level up, is what makes weapons powerful.

Do you understand how all the stats work, and how the weapon scaling works?

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah. 

Hide contents

I know who the big boss of the manor is, and that you get to him via the quests, but hadn’t realised the whole outdoor bit was part of the dungeon and could lead to the boss that way. 

I didnt do the quests. I chatted to the people, and just used the key to have a look around! So glad I didnt miss it.

5 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Armor is shite. Rolling and avoiding hits is what you want to do. When you block with a shield it eats up your endurance. Which you need to save. So you can hit things.

Weapons are absolutely not shite. Choosing a weapon that scales with your stats, and that you like the moveset of, AND that you level up, is what makes weapons powerful.

Do you understand how all the stats work, and how the weapon scaling works?

I don't think I understand the scaling works still. Even though I have watched at least 20 beginner videos. I just pick whatever is highest. And the ashes of war stuff is way over my head. I never use them. 

I might take some pics later and see if you guys think I'm picking the right gear.

Thanks to @Jamie John for making me wish I didn't have ADHD 😂,  cos I reckon I'd start that awesome spreadsheet and that's the end of it.  

Doing ok just keeping the NPC's I've met so far in my head though.  But think that will need to change as I continue to progress. 

1 hour ago, Ravern said:

That spreadsheet is so cool. Wish I'd done that. Would you mind sharing the whole thing?

I'd be happy to but I can't figure out how to share it without showing my email address to everyone who views the link, which I don't really want to do. If you know of a workaround, let me know.

Yeah I’m a bit like @Ry. I feel stuck, can’t seem to progress with bosses I need to beat but trying to level up is taking aaaaages. I think maybe I don’t have the right mindset to handle these trickier fights. I get annoyed after a few attempts then give up. This is not the way, I know :(

2 minutes ago, spanx said:

Yeah I’m a bit like @Ry. I feel stuck, can’t seem to progress with bosses I need to beat but trying to level up is taking aaaaages. I think maybe I don’t have the right mindset to handle these trickier fights. I get annoyed after a few attempts then give up. This is not the way, I know :(

I have found that there’s nearly always something I can do or that is “my level”.  Whether that’s an area with mobs I can kill whilst mounted, or mobs I can just about melee, or perhaps magic mobs I’ve now levelled past and find it more enjoyable and less stressful to kill. 

In the Weeping Peninsular I found one of the shiny baby trees that a golden ghost man pops out of to show you a hidden place.
Before I know it, I’m fighting in a cave fighting a named boss and I kill him second go.

A completely different experience to being in another hidden cave, and realising that my weapon damage and dodging skill can only get me one third of the way to the boss. So I have the choice to either farm to level up a bit to complete that area, or go off to complete something I’m ready for now. 

Learning when to leave an area or how to quit out altogether when it stops being fun that day, seem to definitely be part of the game experience. And it’s a really hard one to learn depending on your personality. 

Discovered how to reach the plain without using the lift or going the long way round :)

This game just keeps giving, the invention is absolutely brilliant.

I run around in a blue hood and white shift, ( I think it's the noble woman's dress),extremely light on my feet  staff up to +13, all good for the moment.

Lots of unfinished business in earlier areas too.  Finding it hard to be systematic.

40 minutes ago, Ry said:

I don't think I understand the scaling works still. Even though I have watched at least 20 beginner videos. I just pick whatever is highest. And the ashes of war stuff is way over my head. I never use them. 

I might take some pics later and see if you guys think I'm picking the right gear.

I dont use the Ashes of War either, so dont necessarily worry about that.

What you really need to understand is what the different stats do, and how weapon scaling works.

And how do you want to play the game? Everything is viable. Get up close and smash things? Fast swords, daggers, whips? Magic?

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Have you tried :- playing another game? 

Has anyone found another way into the academy yet that doesn't involve the key and the main gates? An NPC near the north eastern gate said something to me about "throwing myself into the sea and finding the coward's route" - I don't know whether he was just talking about committing suicide out of desperation, or whether there's another passage that leads inside from down below (which would be pretty amazing considering how high the mountain the academy is sitting on is - that's a big area if it's explorable). 

Anyone talked about the Roundtable Hold? RE: the discovery in...

Spoiler

the Capital? Is this where Olnir used to dwell, and now Roundtable Hold is a magically cloned instance? Or maybe they're all dead and it's purgatory? You're being led on a merry dance by ghosts? Visions of the Hunter's Workshop...

It's funny because the intro cinematic shows you all these characters you assume going on previous games that you'll be up against, but actually they're your comrades (I think?) despite looking pretty sketchy. Olnir himself is dressed like a goddamn Witch King of Angmar. Expectations subverted!

Here’s an article about some designers complaining that Elden Ring has been successful despite not ticking all the stereotypical boxes:

https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/ubisoft-and-guerrilla-developers-ratiod-into-going-private-after-complaining-that-elden-ring-is-so-beloved?fbclid=IwAR1rfxorHvfg6MRF7Vxh1mJhlBpvsa5GuDcRJjcpP6BTWs-d4rx82A2bvmM

so much for congratulating their peers :) 

I was getting my arse handed to me by (presumably) the midpoint boss of Raya Lucaria, so I took a break and just had a bit of a mooch. The game has such dramatic vistas and sense of scale, but I also love how you can find little oases of quiet where the game feels more like Shadow of the Colossus or something. I particularly like the atmosphere at night:

Also this whole Roundtable business is most suspect. There's all sorts of mess and dead bodies in some of the rooms, and now this guy has turned up:

Spoiler

482241747_ELDENRING_20220308202347.thumb.png.206d8fa2df2492ba87fb0eb47ed2f782.png

1041080480_ELDENRING_20220308202442.thumb.png.581b80d06b269d95153863b185a669c4.png

That armour has a very familiar sigil on it, don't you think?

Managed to get Margit down to about a quarter health. Which is progress but you guys must be bloody awesome at these games. 

I have done about 4 bosses in the surrounding area now most of which were easy enough with the exception of the boss at Castle Morse? I think it was called..and I also got some help to kill two dirty great big rats at some point but Margit is still my sticking point. 

Onwards and upwards.

Strength boi fashion status:

Spoiler

dM6mfZf.jpg

Just look at this dork! :wub: That's as much of Lionel's set as I can wear whilst keeping a good roll - for now... Also I'm working on a greataxe and I like my 100 physical damage reduction shield.