IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

15 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

What's your character name? (I'm Jim)

I'm Guts. I've put a sign down on the way to the teleporter, using rllmuk/Rllmuk group passwords. Don't know if you're using the full multiplayer password though

EDIT: I am level 80+ tho - don't know what the ranges are like for this game or what you're at.

3 hours ago, NexivRed said:

In the Weeping Peninsular I found one of the shiny baby trees that a golden ghost man pops out of to show you a hidden place. 

Eh? Have I completely missed a feature?

I think the shiny baby tree is actually

Spoiler

a ghostly candle stand and it's where a ghost appears that will lead you somewhere. I think it happens in a few areas, and probably only at night, but I've only successfully followed the Weeping Peninsula one so far. He lead me to a cave with a huge bear, nice of him.

Has anyone else switched to two-handing their shield at a crucial moment several times? It's because I'm hammering triangle to try to close those loot pop-ups. I wish you could turn those off. Messages should auto-close too.

Ohhh, yeah, ok, I followed a glowing guy once. Didn't see a tree or a candle or anything, but at least I haven't completely missed that in 60ish hours so far!

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

I literally despise this game.  I'm actually furiously angry that I've wasted my time today trying to play it. I feel like I've just been put through a psychological experiment to see how angry something can make me.... bit of a wow moment tbh.

I've had this feeling before playing FROM games. I think when you are a bit stretched for time (as I am) these games can truly infuriate you because it is entirely possible to play for a few hours and make no progress whatsoever - giving you the distinct impression you just completely wasted a few precious hours of they day simply getting wound up.

I have finished Demons, DS 1,2,3 and BB but honestly - as good as those games are (and they are superb) this is much better. Rather than batter your head against a wall with a boss, or an area you really can just sack off and try something else, it was the one thing that was a bit lacking in the other games (you could always go to other areas I know but usually you were completely gated by a boss or two at some point). 

So I told myself I was definitely, finally, absolutely going to go into the Capital

So of course I did R and S's quest chains and found a couple of entirely new areas.

If you've been to TLoR

Spoiler

Is there an immunity item or something you unlock at some point? Or do  you really have to deal with as is?

I'll certainly go to the Capital tomorrow...although there's North Caelid looking lonely and unexplored....

Well here's 2am again. Meant to go to bed 2 hours ago... but then I stumbled across a dungeon (I'll just have a wee look inside)... so after killing the boss there was a castle just on top of that hill as I came out...

4 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Here’s an article about some designers complaining that Elden Ring has been successful despite not ticking all the stereotypical boxes:

https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/ubisoft-and-guerrilla-developers-ratiod-into-going-private-after-complaining-that-elden-ring-is-so-beloved?fbclid=IwAR1rfxorHvfg6MRF7Vxh1mJhlBpvsa5GuDcRJjcpP6BTWs-d4rx82A2bvmM

so much for congratulating their peers :) 

I think it’s actually hilarious to see the developers of bland, generic games react with absolute confusion that players might enjoy something other than another game exactly the same as every other one. They’ve been told there’s a way to do things, but these damn reviewers are enjoying something that doesn’t follow the rules, they must just not care about UX or quest design. Am I working for a lazy company that churns out identikit crap for the lowest common denominator? No, it’s the reviewers who are wrong. 

58 minutes ago, Hexx said:

If you've been to TLoR

Hide contents

Is there an immunity item or something you unlock at some point? Or do  you really have to deal with as is?

I scoured the whole area thinking there’d be something like that, but didn’t find anything. I ended up just tanking it.

Some of the design in this is pretty ropey. For example the Glintstone Key saga that I’ve just been through.......

You need to find a key. You pick up an item near by. The item is a MAP.. I see it flash up on screen quickly. So I look at my inventory and go to my MAPS, like any sane person would do. Check them and there doesn’t seem to be anything important there and I’ve been exploring for most of the game anyway, so I carry on trying to find the Glintstone Key.

What would be the sensible thing to do? Go where there is Glintstone and where the Grace Points all lead you to at that moment. Off I go. Meet people all talking about fucking Glintstone and a Glintstone Sorceress that you need to track down. Must be how you get the Glintstone key! Cue me wandering around for hours and fucking hours trying to find the bastard Glintstone sorceress. Then going back to the Manor and exploring around the same bits of game over and over, what with there being lots of Glintstone and ya know, maybe the Glintstone Key.  How about fighting a Dragon in the area, with all the Glintstone, near the Glintstone people, maybe that drops a Glintstone Key? Glintstone Dragon yeah? Nope. Ok, try and find the Glintstone Sorceress again. So after 2 nights of play and fast travelling all over the map like an absolute twat.......

I finally give up and look at a guide. It tells me I need to do stuff based on a conversation with a random NPC I met about 50hrs earlier. I have no recollection of him. I finally find him using a guide. What does he say.......”you need a Glintstone Key”. Cheers mate! 

I look at another guide and it tells me I need to find the key out in the world. I’ve unlocked all the map though, apart from 1 section. Fuck that! Ok, I’ll check my MAPS again, in my MAPS section of my inventory, seeing as the item I found near the gate was a MAP. Glintstone map yeah? Nothing. Ok, this can get to fuck, I’ll go and do a painting. Find the paintings in my inventory which is full of massive amounts of stuff I’ve picked up over 80+hrs of play, Scroll down to select it and at the side of it is.......the.Glintstone Key MAP.......in the enemy notes and paintings section. Makes sense! Bag o’ shite!

11 hours ago, Retroid said:

You've probably already beaten him, he's in the first Castle.

Nope the required npc was in a different place.. 

Spoiler

Village of the albinaurics

6 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Also it's not like ER is really doing anything that Dark Souls wasn't doing 10 years ago in this respect. It's like these "game developers" basically just haven't played the most important series of video games to come out in the last decade, if they're only just getting salty about this now. 

Yes but now From have attempted an open world game, and they’re not following the rules! 

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

Lol you are so terrible at games man. 

😂 I’m going with lack of sleep from staying up every night playing this!

Seriously though, it’s pretty poor design. All the important quest dialogue - you can listen to it as many times as you want, because From make sure that you don’t miss anything important. Good design.

Miss something that pops up when you’re collecting it though, for whatever reason and you’d expect to find said item stored in its correct section, or to be highlighted in some way. There have been a few times now where I’ve picked something up and it just vanishes into a million other items in the inventory.

Putting a vital map/clue to the whereabouts of a key, that needs to be found to progress the game, in the Enemy Notes section of a busy inventory that’s loaded with all sorts of weird  and obscure stuff is just crap, especially when you’re constantly collecting stuff every few minutes, over 10s of hrs.

When it’s obtuse and it works it’s great. When it’s obtuse because it could have been designed better......not so much!

Anyway, into the 2nd dungeon now. Really like the look of this area, getting Demon’s Souls vibes. Took the Red Wolf Boss down first go. Really nice fun boss. Back on track now, so good times ahead. 😄

Did an all nighter. Not done that since the PS1 days. Still feel like I’m only sight seeing and piecing it all together. Simply astonishing. The single greatest entertainment experience ever. 

? That quest couldn't be more signposted.

Spoiler

When you pick up the map it says pretty much"here lies the key" and it's in the notes section with all the other game information.

There is no "enemy notes" section, it's just Gameworld notes, and if not the first place you check then the second.

Did a huge amount tonight. Mopped up the last caves and bosses in Limgrave and Weepland. Got a fair few down first try which was nice, including the first crystal caverns in the Lakes. That cave has been my nemesis up till now. 

Suddenly had a huge influx of smithing stones as well, so now my morning star is Quality+9, and I’ve switched my halberd during mounted attacks for Bloodhound’s Fang+5.
Total game changer. I’m using it on foot as well against anything non magical, and it just wastes things. Can take a Limgrave giant down in like 5 swings. Easy rune farming to purchase more smithing stones. Decimated the interior of the castle with it too. It’s loads of fun. 

I’m 47 hours in, level 40 or 41, and I’ve killed two bosses. The academy is next I think?

8 hours ago, Parappa said:

Managed to get Margit down to about a quarter health. Which is progress but you guys must be bloody awesome at these games. 

I have done about 4 bosses in the surrounding area now most of which were easy enough with the exception of the boss at Castle Morse? I think it was called..and I also got some help to kill two dirty great big rats at some point but Margit is still my sticking point. 

Onwards and upwards.

You can leave margit til much later if you want. See if you can't find a way around the castle! Have a good look at the map for ideas..

10 hours ago, Ry said:

I'm getting nowhere in this now. Even if I go exploring I end up in a place that just destroys me. 

Seems my only option is to farm out runes at the boulder. And fuck that. 

Every piece of armour I pick up is shite compared to the one I have been using for 35 hours. Every weapon is shite including the one I have been using pretty much the entire game. 

Im getting perplexed by what skills I need to play this. I block with a shield, I still get fucking destroyed by magic dudes. I roll around and it seems random if I avoid an attack or not (far more so with bosses). 

I have never been more perplexed with myself playing a game than this. I fucking hate so much about it. But I keep going back to it and progressing maybe a tiny bit before calling it quits. I struggle to play more than an hour but I always go back for more punishment. 

I'm honestly losing my bloody mind. 😆

10 hours ago, spanx said:

Yeah I’m a bit like @Ry. I feel stuck, can’t seem to progress with bosses I need to beat but trying to level up is taking aaaaages. I think maybe I don’t have the right mindset to handle these trickier fights. I get annoyed after a few attempts then give up. This is not the way, I know :(

Levelling up stats is not how you beat the game. Learning how to fight specific enemies is how you beat the game. Learning how mechanics actually work is how you beat the game.

There's only so much some people on the Internet can tell you, the rest you have to figure out yourself by playing and observing. 

13 minutes ago, therearerules said:

? That quest couldn't be more signposted.

Reveal hidden contents

When you pick up the map it says pretty much"here lies the key" and it's in the notes section with all the other game information.

There is no "enemy notes" section, it's just Gameworld notes, and if not the first place you check then the second.

Surely a map should go in a map section along with all the other maps? If it’s a main quest item, that requires you to find another main quest item by using it, and thus progress the game......put it with all the other important main quest items?

So if not with the maps.......or with the important main quest items........how about putting the map that’s an important main quest item in with notes on enemies and a couple of paintings you’ve found? Great idea!

Its not that difficult to miss a pop up in a game where you’re picking up 1000s of items, jumping around all over the map, in an insanely vast and detailed game world, that encourages exploration and non linear play and has 100s if not 1000s of places to discover over 100hrs+. 

The game’s not above criticism. Its fucking incredible and one of the best games I’ve ever played, but it still has flaws and things that could be better. I think that particular bit could have been handled better. 

I’ll admit, finding something then have it disappear into the midst of the inventory with no explanation of what it is can be annoying.

At least highlight the parts of my inventory that has *new stuff* would be nice

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’ll admit, finding something then have it disappear into the midst of the inventory with no explanation of what it is can be annoying.

At least highlight the parts of my inventory that has *new stuff* would be nice

There is an explanation of what item type you've picked up, the icon at the top left of the message box is the same as the relevant tab in the inventory.. This example is a 'key item' 

Screenshot_2022-03-09-07-11-45-59_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Maybe it’s because I’ve been playing these games for a decade now but I don’t have any problems using the inventory, it’s pretty straightforward. Compared to something like Cyberpunk 2077 it’s Apple levels of user friendly. 

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

There is an explanation of what item type you've picked up, the icon at the top left of the message box is the same as the relevant tab in the inventory.. This example is a 'key item' 

Screenshot_2022-03-09-07-11-45-59_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Was about to say exactly that.

“BUT! BUT! THE GAME DOESN’T TELL YOU THAT!!! POOR DESIGN!!!”

No indeed, the game does not tell you how to use your eyes.