IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

If you're new to these games it has its quirks, which is just another way of saying they can be infuriatingly obtuse, which is another way of saying unconventional design methods that don't bombard you with information. If this is your first foray into Soulsborne games then yeah, they're a bit of a trial. But, ultimately, probably the most satisfying games going.

If this isn't your first Soulsborne and you always found them this frustrating thats all on you.

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

Mate you went to a place where you needed a key, the game handed you a map to the key, you just ignored it and didn’t bother to look at it then spent several hours wandering aimlessly and talking to NPCs instead of looking at the map. I don’t think it’s the quest that’s obtuse. 

A. What happens if someone misses the pop up or is distracted for any number of reasons?
B. What happens if they check their maps and main quest items and nothing is there?
C. What happens if someone saves the game there and picks it up at a later time?
D. What happens if someone leaves the area and then spends 50hrs hrs exploring elsewhere?

Its blatantly obvious it’s not exactly great design and could have been handled better. It’s not a big deal. Not sure why you’re getting so tetchy? 

I’m about 50 hours in and having a ball. Loving it. Beat Godfrey last night with hawners. Found a catacomb full of ants which was really quite horrible.

I’ve played loads of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

It’s absolutely ok to say some of the menu and inventory UI design stuff could be better. 

Had a productive morning exploring the map. Fought off two invaders, freed a giant talking pot, gained a couple of talismans (how do I use them?), found some new dungeons to nope, beat an absolutely rad skeletal boatman, then got the crap kicked out of me by the Crucible Knight. 

Are there any weapons/items that can keep the undead down for good? They keep respawning in a dungeon I found which adds all kinds of chaos to the experience.

You know what this game needs? TO BE MORE GENERIC!

I can’t believe actual, professional games designers are arguing this needs to be more like everything else, dumbed down and diluted into another facsimile open world snooze fest with towers to climb and quest markers and icons as far as the eye can see. 

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m about 50 hours in and having a ball. Loving it. Beat Godfrey last night with hawners. Found a catacomb full of ants which was really quite horrible.

I’ve played loads of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

It’s absolutely ok to say some of the menu and inventory UI design stuff could be better. 

You keep saying hawners. What is hawners? 

Anyhoo, four “main” bosses down 

Spoiler

Godfrey, Rennala, Morgott, Radahn

Countless other bosses killed in the world, in dungeons and in tombs. 

By far the toughest, though?

Double crucible knights in a narrow room. 

😢

11 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

A. What happens if someone misses the pop up or is distracted for any number of reasons?
B. What happens if they check their maps and main quest items and nothing is there?
C. What happens if someone saves the game there and picks it up at a later time?
D. What happens if someone leaves the area and then spends 50hrs hrs exploring elsewhere?

Its blatantly obvious it’s not exactly great design and could have been handled better. It’s not a big deal. Not sure why you’re getting so tetchy? 

Tarnished: I wonder what is on that body with that glowing purple thing.

Tarnished: Oh it is a map scroll. I will store that in my satchel.

time passes 

Tarnished: why haven’t I opened my map scroll yet. I will automatically do that now.

Tarnished: ooh. There is a picture. That castle looks like Raya Lucerna Academy. Given the perspective, it must be from the (spoiler). Let me put an icon on the map.

Time passes

Tarnished: Why haven’t I gone to that icon I put on the map?

or, alternatively, you could look up the quest line on Google if paying attention is too much effort.

7 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Had a productive morning exploring the map. Fought off two invaders, freed a giant talking pot, gained a couple of talismans (how do I use them?), found some new dungeons to nope, beat an absolutely rad skeletal boatman, then got the crap kicked out of me by the Crucible Knight. 

Are there any weapons/items that can keep the undead down for good? They keep respawning in a dungeon I found which adds all kinds of chaos to the experience.

Talismans are on the equipment screen. You can have one right now 

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You keep saying hawners. What is hawners? 

Anyhoo, four “main” bosses down 

Reveal hidden contents

Godfrey, Rennala, Morgott, Radahn

Countless other bosses killed in the world, in dungeons and in tombs. 

By far the toughest, though?

Double crucible knights in a narrow room. 

😢

http://reservoirdroogs.blogspot.com/2017/06/hawners.html?m=1

Now that I'm a little less angry about the whole thing I'm probably far more open to the discussion :D cheeky is pretty spot on in that I get maybe 10 hours a week.  I put 4 hours into this yesterday and got literally no where.  I was levelled to I think 19 and I felt like it made literally no difference.  Enemies took the same number of hits and dodging felt pretty ineffective tbh.  The only viable option felt ranged which was fine against general enemies but any form of boss would close that gap before you even scratched them.  I get its not the game for me, but I just don't get why no easier mode.  There will be arguments for and against but I'm firmly in the I want an easy mode option.  

Its a lovely looking game though and a lot of love went into enemy design. Basically I like the view through the window rather than actually being in the room.  

The stats do feel like a grind sometimes, you’re definitely putting points in knowing they’ll be worth it later rather than seeing immediate changes now. For a beginner, the most important stats are health and stamina, which will give you more time to learn enemy moves. Upgrading your weapon is more important than upgrading your stats. 

3 minutes ago, tenrou said:

I get its not the game for me, but I just don't get why no easier mode.  There will be arguments for and against but I'm firmly in the I want an easy mode option.  

There is an easy mode. It gives you a pack of dogs or a big poison jellyfish to bring into the fights if you're playing solo, or random helpful strangers if you're online, or stuff you can add to your weapon to make it poisonous or on fire or electric. I'd still be stuck on Margit 30 hours in if I hadn't taken advantage of some of that stuff.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Levelling up stats is not how you beat the game. Learning how to fight specific enemies is how you beat the game. Learning how mechanics actually work is how you beat the game.

Pretty slapdash of From Software to develop a completely redundant experience and levelling system. ;) 

Yes, you can complete these things in your pants (and in the game lol!) but if learning is important, being able to hold different gear (by improving your stats) is like receiving a completely new lesson. I’ve heard people compare the changing of main weapon in these games to picking a new main character in a fighting game. You don’t go from Mitsurugi to Siegfried and expect the same set of swings from your buttons. :D And stat requirements of new toys are a big part of what makes levelling significant - you get more archetypes to try out. More mechanics to learn.

I wandered round the renala fight a few times, then thought “they put other player summoning in for a reason”.

Sometimes the mechanics of a fight mean that the auto lock on isn’t much help if you’re a glass cannon mage build. It can be ok to ask for help.

10 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Here’s an article about some designers complaining that Elden Ring has been successful despite not ticking all the stereotypical boxes:

https://news.knowyourmeme.com/news/ubisoft-and-guerrilla-developers-ratiod-into-going-private-after-complaining-that-elden-ring-is-so-beloved?fbclid=IwAR1rfxorHvfg6MRF7Vxh1mJhlBpvsa5GuDcRJjcpP6BTWs-d4rx82A2bvmM

so much for congratulating their peers :) 

I think this article is a little unfair.  I can definitely read those original three dev tweets as being slightly tounge-in-cheek.  'My life is a lie'. etc.  The article takes it a bit too seriously.

7 minutes ago, tenrou said:

I put 4 hours into this yesterday and got literally no where.  I was levelled to I think 19 and I felt like it made literally no difference.

Does your weapon scale with whatever points you're putting into your character? So if you're pumping points into Faith, does your main weapon scale with Faith? You can also add additional buffs to your weapon that will scale with your level.

In the early game I find it's better to focus on fast rolling and dodging, fight naked and get a nice weapon that scales. I killed the first two bosses in my undies, no armour, took no hits but was moving fast and landing heavy damage with Faith scaling. Levelling HP in the early game is mostly a waste. Get a weapon that you like, increase its damage output and learn how to dodge.

18 minutes ago, Exidor said:

There is an easy mode. It gives you a pack of dogs or a big poison jellyfish to bring into the fights if you're playing solo, or random helpful strangers if you're online, or stuff you can add to your weapon to make it poisonous or on fire or electric. I'd still be stuck on Margit 30 hours in if I hadn't taken advantage of some of that stuff.

I’ve played thousands of hours of these games, got platinums etc. I think this is the first one where I’m not summoning occasionally on my first playthrough. Normally, if I get to a boss that I’m struggling with and I want to see what’s after it I’m happy to just get someone to help me. The only reason I’m not doing it this time is I want the game to last as long as possible. Generally before this I’d play through a second time without summoning. That’s so much better as a choice than having to decide if the enemy health should be low, medium or high when I first turn on the game. 

55 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

If any of those things happen then they can very easily go on the internet and get a clue to put them on the right track. The game is designed with that in mind. 

Want to do everything yourself and get the satisfaction of knowing you did it without help? Well that's totally feasible - but you're going to need to pay very close attention, remember things, take notes etc. 

You remind me of me a few days into playing my first Souls game, many years ago. I rage quitted a session and made a long post in the DS1 thread about how everyone who loves this game was wrong, and it was simply objectively bad. 10 or so years later and these are basically the only games I have played for the last decade and everything else (with a few exceptions) I've tried to get into has just felt like a bit of a disappointment in comparison. 

People keep mentioning glass cannon. What is this in relation to? I'm enjoying this, but the stats elements are a bit overwhelming.  I still don't rightly understand what scaling does, or even means. 

I actually find the MASSIVE POP UP anytime you get a new item exceedingly annoying. Particularly if there's something nasty coming at me.

Spoiler

Im getting perplexed by what skills I need to play this. I block with a shield, I still get fucking destroyed by magic dudes. I roll around and it seems random if I avoid an attack or not (far more so with bosses).

The iframes are extremely predictable. Make sure you are at least medium load. The iframes happen at the front half of the roll. Rolling back is legitimate option, especially if you need space to heal. But if you are not taken out of range of the attack by the back hand if the animation, you'll get clipped. For attacking, it's option preferable to roll forward - iframes take you through the attack and you're out of the hit box. 

Find a bonfire near a giant where there isn't risk of losing souls and practice. It shouldn't take too long to click.

21 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

People keep mentioning glass cannon. What is this in relation to? I'm enjoying this, but the stats elements are a bit overwhelming.  I still don't rightly understand what scaling does, or even means. 

If you look at a weapon it'll say something like 

"Physical 109 + 20"

There's a range of stats but I'm focusing on this one

Then below they'll be scaling

For instance Str D, Dex D, Int -

That weapon does 109 points of Physical damage on it's own.

You Str/Dex are adding "20" damage based on a "D" rate.

So in total you do 129 points of Physical damage.

If you level up the weapon it's base stats should increase.

e.g. 

+0 "Physical 109 + 20"

+1 "Physical 114 + 20"

+2 "Physical 119 + 20"

So you are doing more damage total based purely on the weapon without leveling your character.

Likewise if you put points in Str or Dex the bonus damage will increase. You'd get nothing

It's only D rank so probably not by very much. E.g. 1 point in Str might only increase it to 21. 

But as you level up the weapon it's scaling might increase (D to C to B to A to S). 

The better the rank the more the bonus damage increases.

e.g. A D rank might be 20 bonus, but a S rank might be 60. 

What a weapon scales with depends on weapons. Heavy slow weapons tend to be Str, Agile quick weapons Dex. Magic weapons Int etc

I really am having to unlearn my bad video game habits and actually read NPCs conversations and think about them, rather than click next as fast as possible.

Volcano manor general area spoilers

Spoiler

A few people mentioned this place as interesting, but I went spoke to a couple of people and there was nothing there! So I went back, spoke to them again and the woman mentions, “something behind the walls, like a giant snake.” Aha! One fake wall later and suddenly the whole area has opened up.