Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

In terms of basic main game route yes - but you can go anywhere.

As far as I know where you're talking about is an optional area - but also an important one

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Levelling up stats is not how you beat the game. Learning how to fight specific enemies is how you beat the game. Learning how mechanics actually work is how you beat the game.

There's only so much some people on the Internet can tell you, the rest you have to figure out yourself by playing and observing. 

Yes, Margit is really not that hard especially with Summons like the one right at the door lol 😂 

Also! The old approach of roll through slow attacks and block fast attacks is just as effective as always. 

I beat Margit at level 20-something but had my starter weapon at +2 or so, Vig & End up a bit, used summons and stuck fire on the sword. 

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, Margrit is really not that hard especially with Summons like the one right at the door lol 😂 

Also! The old approach of roll through slow attacks and block fast attacks is just as effective as always. 

I beat Margrit at level 20-something but had my starter weapon at +2 or so, Vig & End up a bit, used summons and stuck fire on the sword. 

Am I missing something here or is that with someone helping you out? (not the jellyfish)

6 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Am I missing something here or is that with someone helping you out? (not the jellyfish)

That's an NPC summons, so not a player but an AI. They're always there right by the door. 

Much like Solaire in Dark Souls. It's basically a tutorial, as the game is actually absoutely full of them. 

45 minutes ago, Hexx said:

There's a few of them throughout the game - nearly always in tiny tiny rooms where it's huge (often clipping into walls) and a) hard to see it's tells and b) nearly impossible to move out of range. you need to block/use iframes.

I have no block at all as dual weilding a claymore+9 and Lordsworn Greatsword+10. 

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

After a few more hours on this last night I'm finally at a point where I feel I am blocked from progressing - as in, I can't move further forward with what I think are the main quest objectives, and I don't have any interesting other things I can think of, to go off and do (side quests, open world exploration etc). 

Hide contents

Fighting Starscourge Radahn - just can't make a dent in him due to his ranged attacks, can't summon anyone for help ... and the janky game mechanics of this section make me feel unmotivated to push forward with it right now. The other "main quest" direction that I assume is open to me is the capital city, where I keep being told to go - but I can't really seem to find a way in there (doors seem to be closed - guess I have to open them somehow but no idea how, despite having explored the surrounding area quite thoroughly. Hint, anyone?

I did a brain dump here after beating him if it’s of any use. YMMV depending on your build etc.

Regarding the summoning of other players, what are Souls' vets experience with ER so far? 

Asking because so far both M and G have gone down much easier for me without help then with help and it's not even close. Both fights gave me the impression that the boss gains a significant health and defence boost when summoning 1 or 2 other players, much more so then in previous games. Done G about six times with a summon and the NPC summon but would parish before his transformation.

Yesterday at the end of my session i thought i just have one more attempt before calling it quits, enter the fog door and am like "oh shit, forgot to summon whats her face", summon my Jellyfish (switched out for Imps who do a ton more damage but couldn't survive two hits) but to my own surprise i do a lot more damage (changed weapon from +6 Claymore to the +5 Spiked Mace to get some bleed in) and G goes down less then 2 minutes later (gained a few levels between attempts but put those stat points in int which wasn't used in the fight). To be fair, not summoning seemed to also screw up his AI routine a bit as he looked to be charging and flailing around wildly, missing loads of hits where on previous attempts he'd proven to be a pretty efficient killing machine. 

In my limited experience so far i would say that summoning can make certain fights easier, just not all of them. 

5 hours ago, robdood said:

Levelling up stats is not how you beat the game. Learning how to fight specific enemies is how you beat the game. Learning how mechanics actually work is how you beat the game.

There's only so much some people on the Internet can tell you, the rest you have to figure out yourself by playing and observing. 

Roll at the right time. Got it. 

Learning a boss' moveset - when to dodge, how much you're able to block, and what windows you have to attack - has never been easier in these games because the runs back are so short. Margit, for instance, is literally outside the boss room. I had a few goes at him where my objective would be something like blocking all his attacks and seeing what I could eat and what I couldn't. Then going back in and figuring out which ones were easy to roll through. Until eventually putting it all together.

47 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

That's an NPC summons, so not a player but an AI. They're always there right by the door. 

Much like Solaire in Dark Souls. It's basically a tutorial, as the game is actually absoutely full of them. 

I have seen some statue that I could click on but that was it. I will check it out again. I would feel like I am cheating if I got them to help though 🤣

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Very sound advice this.  Margit is probably the first Souls boss I have taken the time to learn their move set etc (I have given up on previous games) but yeah - this is how you beat them. 

And it is definitely a highly rewarding way to defeat them.

I discovered a huge dragon man giant lurking deep in a cave the lake district  last night who was reasonably manageable for his first phase but then totally destroyed me in his second. However, I learned a little more with each death and after modifying my tactics a little (dropped all gear bar my sword for maximum dodge and consequent i-frame benefits) got him down to 5% this lunchtime after a couple more attempts.  I find it useful to spend an attempt or two just watching and baiting moves out of harder bosses in order to familiarise with what I need to do (mostly how many hits I can safely get in before needing to get out the way) before going in with a serious intent to defeat them.

When I first saw his second phase it was more than a tad overwhelming and I thought I might need to crack and use a jellyfish but I have since taken a few attempts to learn him and he is very beatable solo. Just need a little patience, a calm mind and maybe a dash of luck so fingers crossed...

16 minutes ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Learning a boss' moveset - when to dodge, how much you're able to block, and what windows you have to attack - has never been easier in these games because the runs back are so short. Margit, for instance, is literally outside the boss room. I had a few goes at him where my objective would be something like blocking all his attacks and seeing what I could eat and what I couldn't. Then going back in and figuring out which ones were easy to roll through. Until eventually putting it all together.

Should have read this before writing much the same but in a longer winded manner!

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

Roll at the right time. Got it. 

But that is correct answer. 

And to make life easier on that front, strip off all your gear. When facing enemies that can one or two shot kill the player, regardless of how much they are wearing, the increased mobility of a light load will be a game changer.

39 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Regarding the summoning of other players, what are Souls' vets experience with ER so far? 

Asking because so far both M and G have gone down much easier for me without help then with help and it's not even close. Both fights gave me the impression that the boss gains a significant health and defence boost when summoning 1 or 2 other players, much more so then in previous games. Done G about six times with a summon and the NPC summon but would parish before his transformation.

Yesterday at the end of my session i thought i just have one more attempt before calling it quits, enter the fog door and am like "oh shit, forgot to summon whats her face", summon my Jellyfish (switched out for Imps who do a ton more damage but couldn't survive two hits) but to my own surprise i do a lot more damage (changed weapon from +6 Claymore to the +5 Spiked Mace to get some bleed in) and G goes down less then 2 minutes later (gained a few levels between attempts but put those stat points in int which wasn't used in the fight). To be fair, not summoning seemed to also screw up his AI routine a bit as he looked to be charging and flailing around wildly, missing loads of hits where on previous attempts he'd proven to be a pretty efficient killing machine. 

In my limited experience so far i would say that summoning can make certain fights easier, just not all of them. 

I think summoning can definitely make some bosses harder. Not just because the health bar goes up but because it becomes harder to read what the boss is going to do. If you're in front of the boss and he is focussing his attacks on you then it's easier to see what he's doing. if you're behind him and he's aiming his attacks at someone else there's a good chance you aren't as focussed on what he's doing or able to read as easily what he's about to do. 

That said, I do think some of the encounters are pretty much designed to have someone, whether it be ash summons or another player, help you out. No doubt some people will claim you can defeat these bosses blindfolded while playing with a dance mat controller but when you get to the end of a catacomb and you have a 'regular' boss in there along with about 6 skeletons all zeroing in on your position, I feel like the intent is for you to go in there with a distraction.

2 minutes ago, Onze said:

I've got 80 hours on the clock and still struggling with the Capital and LilAggy has just speed run the game in less than 1 hour! 🤪

Spoiler

image.png.cc7a1309c5aca4207d52d10980a114d0.png

🤣

40 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I have seen some statue that I could click on but that was it. I will check it out again. I would feel like I am cheating if I got them to help though 🤣

Doing it alone is absolutely “hard mode”, and can be rewarding, and with NPC’s summons it’s probably Boss encounters at their easiest. Getting Co-op players increases the bosses health. 

Just like every other game, I mix it up dependant on how I’m feeling, but will always give a solo run a shot first. 

This game has more bosses than a boss convention so There’s plenty of opportunity 

I have been to the northernmost and southernmost points on the map and hit the boundaries and I’d still say it’s one of the biggest, most intricately designed open worlds I’ve ever been in. My closest comparison would be World of Warcraft, in terms of design and scope. 

I needed a minute to compose myself before my current boss attempt (dragonkin something something) so went for a ride around a random corner of Limgrave and have found a cave (full of horrible poison and rats) and one of those chambers under a ruin (not looked in there yet). 

I really thought I had totally rinsed the area but that is two days on the trot that a random run around has revealed biggish things I’d totally missed. If every area is as packed as Limgrave then I will be exploring for the rest of the year and then some…

Being as non-spoilery as possible, can someone answer me if there is a talisman that helps to reduce magic damage in Limgrave..? and if so a very rough location (north/south/east/west)? Thanks! :)

Oooh, bookmarked for later. Tried Radahn a bunch of times and he’s just not fun.

I’m in the capital now. It seems lacking in grace sites! Spent multiple runs all dying to the same baddies. Going down some stairs and either through a room with 3 people, one of whom likes his spammy bullshit flaming crossbow a little too much or the other versus a knight with a lightning spear and too much corridor for using scythes effectively.

Eventually managed to defeat the knight and went onwards, before looking at my nearly 90k runes I’d accumulated on the same short run and noped back to the bonfire to spend them. I’ll be brave when I’m poor.

On the plus side, upgraded my other scythe to  +6 too and tried main handing it for a change. OMG! The range on the halo beam it throws is amazing, longer than any of my invocations and really quite satisfying when spammed.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

You need to find an item in a certain fort 

Hide contents

South of the Mistwood in Limgrave in order to go up the lift.

Or, you can find an alternative route up the lift relatively nearby, but it's not as starightforwards.

Thanks, but I've been up the lift ... If you mean the Great Lift of Dectus ... Which need 2 halves of a medallion. Or are you taking about another lift?

I'm stuck with getting into (what I assume is) the actual capital itself, not the plateau. I've gone up the lift, followed the path toward the big city, gone through the gates there - then there's another circular pathway that leads to another set of huge doors, which look like they are the actual entrance to the city itself, going by the map. They are closed though, and there's no clue nearby as to how they might open. 

When I’m not playing this game, basically because I’m in work or buying food or whatever, I love reading about it here and peoples escapades. It’s just fantastic isn’t it. 

21 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

PSA for Radahn: 

Holy shit, I just stumbled across a huge cheese for this absolute fucking arsehole entirely by accident as I was trying anything and everything on him in the vain hope that something would miraculously get me past this massive obstacle and lo and behold I managed to completely skip the second phase of the fight. Never fist-pumped so hard in my life. :omg:

Do the following:

Hide contents

You need the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War, which can be obtained from an invisible scarab in the pool of water south-east of Caria Manor.

Just spam this on Radahn and it'll fuck him up completely and utterly. He didn't even have a chance to transition to his second phase because when he knelt down in preparation for it I just kept hitting him with it and it wiped out the second half of his health bar in seconds and killed him before he could even get up. :omg:

Just tipped past the 100 hour mark in this peerless Miyazaki masterpiece too. Onwards!

That's my evenings entertainment sorted.