IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ok, it’s a personal thing. So far, I have not found a boss that I’d consider particularly hard other than being a bit shit (Radahn, double crucible knights) and they still only took about 5 goes each. I have one shot most bosses so far and I’ve killed god knows how many. It’s not “off” of me to say they’re not hard, it’s an opinion. 

As I said, I am soloing them and they are plenty hard given that I am one or two shot killed by all the bosses I have on the go at the moment (and many of the 'standard' enemies too). And that's fine. I will learn them and I'll beat them but it is not easy by any standards (and I'm playing this one exactly the same way as I've played all their other games).

I have no idea what 'Radahn, double crucible knights' is as I'm not that far so maybe things will get easier.

11 minutes ago, jonamok said:

This is easily going to pass my personal first play-through record of 150 hours for rinsing BOTW.

I’m 70 hours in, just SL56, only seen and downed the first two main story bosses, and barely scratched Altus or Caelid. However, for the vast majority of that time I’m exploring new areas, caves, catacombs, buildings, mansions, ruins, castles, dungeons, and immense subterranean worlds. I’m discovering new enemy types, killing new named bosses every night, discovering incredible new weapons, summons and ashes, advancing multiple NPC quest lines, and reading fascinating item lore.

Elden Ring is a fucking ridiculous creation.

How did they even make it, it feels ludicrously generous and packed of stuff compared to any other game I've ever played.  It must be an illusion of some kind, but the world feels easily the most large.  Breathtaking every time I play :wub:

28 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ainsel river boss down on my first go, that felt badass!! 

For those who've beaten it, a gentle hint please:

Hide contents

Can I go any further in this cave yet? It almost feel like this is a dead end for now and there must be another way in somewhere else in the world?

Like I can see bits below beyond the boss room, but no way down!  Plus there was the mad huge pink lake, wtf! 

Vid for those who care.  I think I was a bit OP! 

Hide contents

Same here! I've been sticking around helping others with him as well. Had one battle where I just stayed behind his knee all battle.

Well, I cheesed the Big Red Dog with poison arrows while distracted by my Jellyfish, and down he went.

I’m a bit confused now though. The next boss doesn’t have a Statue outside it’s door, so you have to run back all that way each time. Phase one was child’s play, phase two less so.

Have I missed a Site of Grace? 

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Well, I cheesed the Big Red Dog with poison arrows while distracted by my Jellyfish, and down he went.

I’m a bit confused now though. The next boss doesn’t have a Statue outside it’s door, so you have to run back all that way each time. Phase one was child’s play, phase two less so.

Nope.  It's weird.  Especially because you can open some other doors to make a 'shortcut' but it's definitely quickest to just run the original way each time.  At least there's no enemies to deal with. 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Cool little detail I just discovered: if someone in the same multiplayer group as you defeats a Shardbearer, as well as the message popping up, each person in the group gets gold lines around them and increased rune drops for a time, the same as if you eat a gold fowl foot.

If you haven't already and you're playing online, put the 'Rllmuk' multiplayer password in.

Wondered what that was :)

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Reveal hidden contents

have you tried going to the bottom and coming back up, she's actually pretty camouflaged too! She's basically behind the two golems and the left, try again? Otherwise try the ruins by erdtree grazing hill assuming you've found that grace?

Spoiler

Wouldn't spawn for me. Had to ride the lift again and then I rode past her at least 3 times :facepalm:

38 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ainsel river boss down on my first go, that felt badass!! 

For those who've beaten it, a gentle hint please:

Hide contents

Can I go any further in this cave yet? It almost feel like this is a dead end for now and there must be another way in somewhere else in the world?

Like I can see bits below beyond the boss room, but no way down!  Plus there was the mad huge pink lake, wtf! 

Vid for those who care.  I think I was a bit OP! 

Spoiler

That's where I got to last night. Did you get the map? Def shows another section but I searched everywhere and couldn't find a way to access it. Got a feeling you may come in from a different area

Bloody Slash hammered that boss for me lol

Just now, Davros sock drawer said:

Yikes. Hope I beat her soon. 

Did you manage to stop the ball trap? Makes it slightly less annoying

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

No, it’s just poorly designed.. Run and jump to the lift, pull the lever, wait for it to descend, wait again on the lift for it to travel up, enter room, easy and pointless first boss phase, black loading screen, skip cutscene etc. Must take about 5mins to get back to the actual bit you want to do each time. No reason for any of it at all.

The boss I’m on isn’t much better. 2 of the bosses from earlier in the game recycled and both at the same time. You can’t see their attacks because they stand in front of each other. They can hit you from off screen with no warning. The camera is a nightmare with a mind of its own and because you can’t dodge while controlling it. There are bits of glitched scenery that you get stuck on that cause insta-death. And they both often do long chains of moves in between each other which leaves you fucked. It’s cheap as chips. Nowhere near the quality of Margit or Godrick.

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

No, it’s just poorly designed.. Run and jump to the lift, pull the lever, wait for it to descend, wait again on the lift for it to travel up, 

Not justifying the crappy run back.. But you ought to manually send lift down by pressing the footplate once you reach the top.. 

Just now, CrichStand said:

No, it’s just poorly designed.. Run and jump to the lift, pull the lever, wait for it to descend

Woah! Why would you ever not just send the lift back down before you jump off? That’s Basic Souls 101! 

It’s not the worse run back in a From game, just unusual in this game so far. 

As for poor design, ask me again if it takes 50 attempts! 

'Git down.

Dead easy compared to before. I only did him now after running out of other areas to clear, and thus was a bit overpower. Not half as clean a fight as some earlier failed attempts, but hey ho. Cleared the boss down the well, very cool. Found one about 30 seconds across the border into caelid, noped out very hard.

@Jamie John sorry I meant to mention @John0 in that post about the boss he beat, I've edited it!

I have been pottering around East Limgrave tonight, I really should have come here much earlier. I just assumed it would be harder because its not in the first map you naturally come across. I finally met Kenneth! I switched to my level 0 warhammer to make it more balanced, but not for the big boys! I'm a bit unsure now whether to press on with the Academy or carry on exploring elsewhere, I feel like I'm underlevelled for what the Academy's throwing at me now but don't want to explore too much in the meantime if the story's going to take me around. 

After I had a rest from her, Rannala down in 2. And only because I got greedy the first time. I should have stopped when I knew I was past my peak. 

Completed the 

Spoiler

first fire puzzle underground and defeated the cool ghost deer boss, but apparently I can proceed further until the General is down? 

Holy shit. She gives enough runes to level up almost three times!

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm a bit unsure now whether to press on with the Academy or carry on exploring elsewhere, I feel like I'm underlevelled for what the Academy's throwing at me now but don't want to explore too much in the meantime if the story's going to take me around. 

I did it around level 50ish and I’m not the best. If that gives you an idea. 

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

OH, TOP TIP!!! Murder those nomadic travelling sales people!!!, as they give you drop bell bearings, these can then be given in at round table, meaning every shop in one place!

I have just learnt this now from watching Lobos doing his SL1 run...could have done with knowing it a while ago lol

Huge.

Any downside at all to this?  (aside from I'd feel bad as they mostly seem quite chill)

26 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Woah! Why would you ever not just send the lift back down before you jump off? That’s Basic Souls 101! 

It’s not the worse run back in a From game, just unusual in this game so far. 

As for poor design, ask me again if it takes 50 attempts! 

Never had to really mess around with lifts like that in the other games. Can only think of one bit in the middle of Dark Souls. Will definitely keep that in mind for later in the game if it’s needed!

I think it’s the worst in terms of design. I don’t have a problem with making you run back to stuff as punishment for failing a boss. Its basically lifted from Zelda’s boss runs. It’s the lift ride combined with the pointless first boss phase, loading and cutscene you have to skip that bothered me.  Like I say, I was lucky, did it 2nd go. Just rushed the boss and got her out of there as quickly as possible. Worth trying if you’re playing a strength build. You can outrun her big projectile laser type attack and then just lay into her. She’s not that difficult, it’s the tedious slog of getting back there that’s the real challenge!

Similar with the boss I’m on now. Its not a well balanced well thought out level of difficulty. It’s actually the poor design that makes it difficult. I just want to get past this and go back exploring the world!

Mountaintops finished, on to what I’m guessing is either the last or the second to last area. Four weapons fully upgraded now and I decided to respec to put the points I’d tried out in other stats (arcane, faith etc) into DEX and END, so I can wear a full set of armour now and I’m shredding things thanks to the scaling on my weapon. 

Spent some time on the nightmare boss:

Spoiler

Struggled through and finally killed her. Except no I didn’t, it’s a second phase that one shot me three seconds after the cutscene ended :lol:

Pretty happy with my gear and stats now, think I’ll probably be good to go through the last section or two. Fantastic game.

B693A4EB-F3BC-4E46-B248-1D64E7E76EEE.thumb.jpeg.48dfae624ec73b28336bc6bece144122.jpeg

4 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I look like an idiot. 

34D30A80-3490-4698-B7D0-750D05202D4A.thumb.jpeg.89cbb7b4daac2c7a655c222515638a94.jpeg

Is there just the one Crucible Night?

😂 If only! Take it you’ve yet to get to the bit I’m on, where he miraculously reappears with his best mate.......despite the fact they both got smashed to bits earlier in the game.

I've definitely broken the game but in a fun way at 50 hours in (Level 96). Moonveil + 9 (The weapon art destroys pretty much everything, R2 for single target, R1 for crowd control), Mimic Tears + 10, Int at 66, Azur Comet spell with infinite FP tear for 10 seconds plus damage bonuses (and the Rock Fling spell is still nuts). Absolutely destroying everything and loving it LOL. 

I killed Radhan a while ago in about 7 seconds without getting close to him. 

What am I missing with this Crucible Knight? I handed him his arse in the first fight, now I can barely scratch him despite being 2 handed and having a powered up Greatsword that does massive damage combined with 2 Talismans that increase your attack power. Cut through the other lad that’s fighting alongside him like butter. Don’t want to resort to using the Ashes and Jellyfish summon stuff but this is just proper Billy Bullshit.

34 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Just use that Hatchet you had at the start that one shots everything 

Don’t be a proper plantpot youth! 😂

I’m 2 handing the Grafted Blade Greatsword, upgraded to +5 and back to wearing nowt but the Wolf Imp Helmet. No Ashes, no summons and shit. The fights a mess and feels well cheap. Recycled bosses for a start.......but both together......cheap as chips.

On this fight I’ve seen......glitched scenery, stuff literally floating in mid air that you get stuck on. Bosses glitching in the broken scenery or getting stuck on benches and then randomly flying off them with ranged attacks. Getting stuck on scenery that’s off screen while you’re dodging. The enemies blocking your view so you can’t time dodges. The scenery blocking your view so you can’t time dodges. Attacks glitching through walls you can’t see to avoid. The bosses doing bizarre strings of unavoidable attacks out of nowhere......sometimes both at the same time. Getting attacked from off screen without any warning. Having to readjust the camera so you can’t actually dodge stuff etc. The sword repeatedly going straight through the enemies but not doing any damage at all (this happened on Dark Souls too). Proper jank! Like i said Margit and Godrick were quality, this......not so much!

Despite all that, and the fact I smashed the other Crucible Knights to bits........I can only get this one down to about 1/4 health (and do it without taking a single hit myself) on every 10th go or so. To do that takes forever even with the sword I’m using. It’s like a war of attrition. And then he’ll randomly string together a couple of moves he rarely does that appear to be unavoidable. There’s just way too much luck involved in it.

I play it like an action game though not an RPG, so maybe there’s some trick to doing more damage to this version of Crucible Knight?