Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It depends what crucible knight + mate fight you mean, as you fight a good few of them (and then they turn up as “regular” enemies in some zones). 


I’m at a Castle in Caelid. It’s the boss from Morne Castle + Crucible Knight. I can get the other boss out of there pretty quickly but one or two good hits from either of them and I’m dead. 
 

What I’m finding weird is I’m barely doing any damage to Crucible Knight even 2 handing the upgraded Greatsword. Got 2 Talisman slots and switched to using one to recover Stamina and one that boosts attacks. May as well be using a butter knife. Is there some kind of stat or attribute that I should be looking at? Maybe I need something with Piercing or add something to enhance the sword I’m using?
 

I’ve beaten the one in the Gaol and another out in the world which had some different moves. They were both cool battles but no problem to take down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah then that’s not the one where you fight two crucible knights at once in one of the catacombs. That’s probably the toughest fight I’ve had so far because when they both start dive bombing you in a long, narrow room, it’s hard to avoid them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ah then that’s not the one where you fight two crucible knights at once in one of the catacombs. That’s probably the toughest fight I’ve had so far because when they both start dive bombing you in a long, narrow room, it’s hard to avoid them. 


Sounds loads of fun! 
 

This one has got furniture strewn all over the room for you to get stuck on at the worst possible moment, even though you’re rolling. Main thing is I just don’t do much damage to him at all, yet I can’t upgrade anything anymore than it’s already upgraded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CrichStand said:


Sounds loads of fun! 
 

This one has got furniture strewn all over the room for you to get stuck on at the worst possible moment, even though you’re rolling. Main thing is I just don’t do much damage to him at all, yet I can’t upgrade anything anymore than it’s already upgraded. 


Yeah but they drop a badass sword in that one that is S scaling in strength, which is what I use now :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those struggling with the bosses in solo - it definitely seems to me that unless you are massively overlevelled most of the main story bosses are intended to be taken on with some sort of help. I don’t think summoning, at least via ashes or NPCs is intended to be a cheat in any form - the bosses seem to have been designed around you having a distraction and using that to create an opening. I think it’s different in this respect to previous games, where boss fights were seemingly balanced for one for one fights - I am not sure it’s the case here, due to how many options you have that I think you are expected to be making use of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:


Yeah but they drop a badass sword in that one that is S scaling in strength, which is what I use now :) 


Sounds like I could do with that! What damage does it do? Pretty sure the Grafted Greatsword I’m using does 600-800 but using the Talismans I’ve got I’ve seen it hit over 1000. No idea why or what’s going on with it though. Lol. 
 

I’m also finding it weird that there doesn’t seem to be any difference between having armour/clothes on, or off. Seems to be same amount of damage, so may as well just go no kit for the fastest fast roll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With 70 strength and it upgraded to +10 I do 900 on a normal swing, 1700-1900 on a charge swing or jump attack. Mine is currently only A scaling as I’ve not found the thingy I need to bump it to S. 

 

Also re: armour it’s damage reduction it offers, not increased damage done. For example, my chest plate offers 18.7 defence against physical, similar for slashing etc etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FalconGR said:

For those struggling with the bosses in solo - it definitely seems to me that you unless you are massively overlevelled most of the main story bosses are intended to be taken on with some sort of help. I don’t think summoning, at least via ashes or NPCs is intended to be a cheat in any form - the bosses seems to have been designed around you having a distraction and using that to create an opening. I think it’s different in this respect to previous games, where boss fights were seemingly balanced for one for one fights - I am not sure it’s the case here, due to how many option you have that I think you are expected to be making use of.


I think you could be right. Margit and Godrick felt spot on. Most of the Gaol stuff and mini dungeon stuff has been ok too. But this definitely feels like I’m missing something. It’s harder than anything in Dark or Demon’s and not in a good way. Finished both solo, never tried the summoning stuff, just some PVP on Demon’s which was cool.
 

I saw vids of people taking down the early bosses on this and it just looked way too easy to me. I decided I’d play it like the older games and it’s been fine till now. 100hrs in so want to stick to it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t understand the rationale of not using the tools the game specifically gives you and then complaining the game is hard, as someone was earlier :lol:
 

I don’t summon other players, but I use my summon ashes things. That’s what they’re there for! 

I can’t give you any advice for the boss you’re currently on @CrichStand as by the time I went back to Redmane (after I’d already defeated the end boss there and done the next two zones), I killed the beast guy in about 3 hits and then crucible knight 2.0 in about 4. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

With 70 strength and it upgraded to +10 I do 900 on a normal swing, 1700-1900 on a charge swing or jump attack. Mine is currently only A scaling as I’ve not found the thingy I need to bump it to S. 

 

Also re: armour it’s damage reduction it offers, not increased damage done. For example, my chest plate offers 18.7 defence against physical, similar for slashing etc etc. 


Yeah, I get the damage reduction stuff. It’s just the enemies don’t seem to do anymore damage to you when you’ve taken all your armour off. Either way it seems like 1 or 2 hits and your dead! 
 

That sounds nuts! I’ve upgraded to about 50 now I think. Mainly strength and Endurance, health to about 20. The Greatsword is a Boss Weapon and I can’t get it past +5 at the moment. Need to find a lvl6 Slumber Smithing thingy. The enemy that’s supposed to drop one didn’t, so maybe you need to farm for it. Everything was a doddle till I hit this one boss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CrichStand said:

What am I missing with this Crucible Knight? I handed him his arse in the first fight, now I can barely scratch him despite being 2 handed and having a powered up Greatsword that does massive damage combined with 2 Talismans that increase your attack power. Cut through the other lad that’s fighting alongside him like butter. Don’t want to resort to using the Ashes and Jellyfish summon stuff but this is just proper Billy Bullshit.


use ashes and summons. That’s why they’re there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took a warp stone thing from the Academy, met a four legged fella who had something to do with the church.   
very unexpected!  And made me smile.

 

Completed academy last night.  getting summons to help with the boss does turn the fight into quite the vicious affair, doesn’t it?  Although the first attempt ended abruptly when I got one-shotted  by

Spoiler

A falling chandelier 🙃

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night, in Mountaintop of the Giants, I fought

 

Spoiler

The Fire Giant


That was a mental fight. 
 

I also fought the last boss of Volcano Manor

 

Spoiler

I picked up the serpent Hunter spear, took one look at the stats and kept my greatsword equipped. I then proceeded to smash his snake form and then very, very slowly chip away at his…other form…and he killed me with about 10% HP left. 
 

I then tried the serpent Hunter spear and.. well…let’s just say they give it to you in the boss room for a reason, so ignore the stats :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t understand the rationale of not using the tools the game specifically gives you and then complaining the game is hard, as someone was earlier :lol:
 

I don’t summon other players, but I use my summon ashes things. That’s what they’re there for! 
 

 


Don’t know it’s weird. It’s like the summon things are just a replacement for summoning other players, which I’ve never used. Also, saw one video and the boss was fighting the summoned monster and a summoned NPC ,whilst the player was just stood behind the boss spamming attack to beat it. Didn’t take any skill at all and looked almost like the game playing itself!

 

Also, I think there’s a big difference between well balanced and fair difficulty, where it’s all down to player skill whether you win or not and unfair “artificial difficulty”, things like - the camera playing up, glitches, cheap design etc. 
 

Magrit and Godrick felt like the former whereas this particular fight feels far more like the latter, at least played solo without the summon stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:


use ashes and summons. That’s why they’re there


Hard to give in after 100hrs. I’m stubborn and like a challenge! 😂 Will persevere for now but if I hit other similar stuff then I’ll try and take your advice. Seems sensible!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s worth saying that the bosses don’t just zero in on your summons and ignore you - they tend the attack whoever did the last big hit and it’s not uncommon for them to suddenly turn, mid-combo, and twat you when they’d previously been attacking your summon. 
 

Also, everyone raving about their jellyfish summon…I think mine is faulty. It does fuck all damage, doesn’t ever manage to poison any boss and then dies really quickly, and that’s at +5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, FalconGR said:

For those struggling with the bosses in solo - it definitely seems to me that unless you are massively overlevelled most of the main story bosses are intended to be taken on with some sort of help. I don’t think summoning, at least via ashes or NPCs is intended to be a cheat in any form - the bosses seem to have been designed around you having a distraction and using that to create an opening. I think it’s different in this respect to previous games, where boss fights were seemingly balanced for one for one fights - I am not sure it’s the case here, due to how many options you have that I think you are expected to be making use of.


People say this every time a new From game comes out. I’ve used my ash summons a few times when I couldn’t be bothered to persevere without them, but I’m in the last few areas and I’ve not encountered anything that couldn’t have been handled alone with a bit of effort. It’s exactly the same as the other games, it’s balanced for one player and everything else is there to alleviate the challenge. There’s never been a From boss that was “designed” to be fought with help.

 

14 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s worth saying that the bosses don’t just zero in on your summons and ignore you - they tend the attack whoever did the last big hit and it’s not uncommon for them to suddenly turn, mid-combo, and twat you when they’d previously been attacking your summon. 
 

Also, everyone raving about their jellyfish summon…I think mine is faulty. It does fuck all damage, doesn’t ever manage to poison any boss and then dies really quickly, and that’s at +5. 

 

Yeah having missed the jellyfish early on I was absolutely baffled by the love for it. I dumped some flowers into it when I eventually got it to get it to +6 and it’s rubbish. But I’ve got three that I like for different reasons, so I guess people just get used to it and like it. I have one that’s got a good number of buddies who spread out, one single one that actually does a lot of damage, and one that is just incredibly cute and I love it despite it being a bit useless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t understand the rationale of not using the tools the game specifically gives you and then complaining the game is hard, as someone was earlier :lol:

 

I get the rationale (and I don't think they were complaining about the game being hard, if you mean the posts I think you mean).

 

I've been using it in this game a little here and there if I'm getting frustrated or if I don't particularly like a boss or feel like it's a fun challenge anymore, but I completely understand people trying to do it without. It always feels a bit off to me, because it feels like I haven't truly beaten the patterns that were put in front of me as a challenge.

 

Summoning something that can take a bosses focus away from you so you can run up and hit it from behind a few times.. it doesn't *completely* take away the challenge, but it changes it quite dramatically for the time that your summon is there.

 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong of course! Any tools the game gives you are fair game. More power to anyone summoning whatever they want. But I do get some people not wanting to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Doctor Shark That’s actually all really great help man!  Appreciate it! If you took CK down in 4 hits then I guess I should just go elsewhere for now as I’m playing aggressively and it’s....rolll, roll, hit.....roll, roll, hit......roll, roll, hit.....roll, roll, hit......for about 5mins without me getting clipped and yet he still only gets down to about a quarter health......before he finally gets annoyed and decides to swat me. 😂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

@Doctor Shark That’s actually all really great help man!  Appreciate it! If you took CK down in 4 hits then I guess I should just go elsewhere for now as I’m playing aggressively and it’s....rolll, roll, hit.....roll, roll, hit......roll, roll, hit.....roll, roll, hit......for about 5mins without me getting clipped and yet he still only gets down to about a quarter health......before he finally gets annoyed and decides to swat me. 😂

 


Yeah I don’t know what level you are, but I went after them at level 111 purely to get that sword (I’d beaten the end boss of redmane ages before and forgot to go back and do the rest). I killed the beast guy before the crucible knight had even run up to me, so really it was a 1 v 1 fight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:


Yeah I don’t know what level you are, but I went after them at level 111 purely to get that sword (I’d beaten the end boss of redmane ages before and forgot to go back and do the rest). I killed the beast guy before the crucible knight had even run up to me, so really it was a 1 v 1 fight. 


Think I’m Lvl 49 or 50, something like that. Thought this was the main boss fight as I was pointed here. Fuck’s sake!

 

It takes a shitload of perfectly timed dodging, about 6-7 normal attacks + a couple of jump attacks and a stagger just to get rid of the Beast guy, by which time CK is involved in the fight too. Part of me needs to beat it like this now. “Just leave him Gary he’s not worth it”! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

@Jamie John sorry I meant to mention @John0 in that post about the boss he beat, I've edited it!

 

Nice one! Enjoyed your Ragadon fight! I still can't get over your tiny health bar haha. What level are you? I'm in the 50s for the academy now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Who’s talking shit about my Jellyboy?

He's a nice distraction, but I think I got mine from the same charlatan that sold one to @Doctor Shark. I don't think I've ever seen poison get triggered, and he does fuck all in terms of damage. He's distraction fodder for me, which actually worked great last night along with the summon of Millicent for Great Wyrm A ... something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It feels like everyone is so far ahead of me that we’re playing different games. 
 

I think the only boss in the initial bit of Limgrave I’ve not done is the tree sentinel. I’m not looking for tips, just wondering if people fought him on foot or horseback? The former feels like I’m at a distinct disadvantage but the horseback combat is quite hit and run and tedious. I feel like I’m doing it wrong in both instances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It feels like everyone is so far ahead of me that we’re playing different games. 
 

I think the only boss in the initial bit of Limgrave I’ve not done is the tree sentinel. I’m not looking for tips, just wondering if people fought him on foot or horseback? The former feels like I’m at a distinct disadvantage but the horseback combat is quite hit and run and tedious. I feel like I’m doing it wrong in both instances. 

Horseback hit and run. :coffee:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.