IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

17 hours ago, Onze said:

Stomp, stomp, stomp!

The AoW is so OP. It's now carried me through the bosses at the Capitol and a boss at the Hot Manor.

I barely use my weapon in the fights, my summon is the distraction and I stomp like a coward from the rear. 

I guess it helps that my weapon is +17 and the stomp scales with the weapon level.

I'm hoping it will have great success with an oversize boss on a tiny mount as other people have suggested.

Hide contents

I'm using this at the moment and it seems really OP, at least to a humble melee samurai.

1 hour ago, K said:

Digital Foundry do good analysis, but the strength of the criticism they use to talk about a game’s visuals is bizarre. That video of them talking about Elden Ring is a good example, as they use terms like “dire” and “just not good enough”, when the game looks basically fine, just a bit rough. The guy even goes so far as to say people shouldn’t bother with the Xbox One version, which seems madly over the top, like saying you shouldn’t watch a classic film on DVD, you have to watch it on UHD, or you’ll be wasting your time. 

Stuff like that just fuels the stupidity of the console warriors and their endless quest to defeat the people who own the other console. 

Was about to say something similar. Maybe it’s my age, having grown up with 8-bit consoles and so on, but this just all feels massively overstated.

So last night I continued my explorations of the east lakes, and finally went to check out eastern Limgrave too. What a game!

Spoilers for both these areas:

Spoiler

Last time I'd teleported to a church on the hills, just east of the lakes. I soon found myself overlooking a bunch of white ruins with big statues of bearded fellows, and made my way to them. This area was a nasty gauntlet, full of tribal warriors with archers with magic homing arrows that could very nearly one-shot me. It took me ages to work my way through the narrow canyon and then deal with a camp of 3 warriors whilst getting sniped by two archers, I died so many times! In the end I had to use luring out tactics and my crossbow to deal with the archers. Beyond was the next grace site.

A small path led to a series of plateaus with 2 walking mauseleums. I didn't have any more boss souls so didn't see the point in taking them down just yet. These ones jumped though, which is both funny and epic. I had awesome views out to the north, where I could see the northern highroad leading to a huge cliff with inbuilt ruins. To its left is a big castle, and above stands the craggy volcano, where you can just see what's presumably the towers of the manor poking up behind it. The sense of scale is amazing!

The route ended with some tribals stamping their feet. Curious as to why, the next area had the answers - a minor Erdtree with a host of tribals all worshipping it, and an Erdtree Avatar standing guard. I spent ages trying to do this fight, using different summons and riding around on horseback, but it was just too much of a slog. I kept getting one-shot by the Avatar's slam attacks and I didn't do enough damage to it. Although I could probably persevere each attempt would take forever, so I decided to come back once I had more damage output.

Now it was time to explore East of Limgrave for the first time, beyond the map boundary of West Limgrave. I started at the bridge guarded by a big ol' pumpkin head, met a merchant and followed the road. I met my first giant caravan (poor chaps), and slaughtered an army as well as the giants. I was definitely over-levelled here so switched to my level 0 warhammer again so I wasn't killing everything in a hit or two. I found another skelly boat boss in a flooded village which me and the wolves decimated. Beyond that was the Waypoint Ruins full of plants, and underneath I found a pumpkin head boss, who hit hard but I managed to kill him on the first try. He was guarding a room with a sorceress exiled from the Academy, who's a spell vendor. I wonder if the other sorceress I found on the Weeping Peninsula was also exiled?

The road finally went uphill to where I could see giant growths on the horizon, and according to the map was quite near to the infamous chest trap teleport destination. This must be the edge of Caelid. The sky turned red as I approached a burning church. I love how the atmosphere changes in this game. Entering the church, an NPC invader with a giant cleaver tried to jump me, but I managed to kill her and get a grace site. I didn't see any reason to head into Caelid yet so I ported to the west Limgrave highroad by the giant gate, and followed the road south before taking the eastern fork into new territory. 

This road led to another Artist's shack on the higher fork (no idea where that painting is from!), and the lower fork soon reached a fallen ruin archway over the road, where an NPC called out from atop it asking for help. This turned out to be the much-mentioned here Kenneth, a posh chap who is heir to Limgrave. I agreed to rid his castle of nasties and continued down the road. After killing a giant, I reached the 3rd Church of Marika. This had been in a note I bought off a merchant right at the beginning, and should be home to a flask of psychic, which I already have a ton of tears for. Sure enough, at the back of the church I found my flask. I have about 8 tears already. I wish I'd found this flask earlier on, it would have been very handy for some of those bosses!

In the pond behind the church I found a sneaky hidden teleporter, and checking the map, this was the red mark that D at the Roundtable had put for me to meet his beastlord chap. I'd come back to this. The beach behind the church was fairly empty but on the cliffs above you could see the weird treelike growths poking up from Caelid. I carried on along the road, and it led me into a foggy forest. This must be the Mistwood Kenneth was talking about. Sneaking past a giant bear scratching a tree, I collected the east Limgrave map from the map column, and dodged a demi-human ambush. On the right of the road were some ruins and I sneakily investigated, to discover to my horror a giant bear sleeping just above the entrance to an underground tomb. Even though I was sneaking, he still woke up when I got too close, so I had to run into the underground where I was safe from his clutches. After grabbing the goodies I summoned my spear mannequins and we went upstairs to have an epic fight with the bear, where I only survived on my last flask, and went through all my fire weapon oil in the process. You don't mess with giant bears!

After clearing a graveyard next to the ruins, I carried on down the road and whilst chasing down the sound of wolf howls ran into the demi-human ambush I'd avoided earlier. These guys were easy though at this level. Behind them I discovered the area's minor Erdtree... which strangely didn't seem to have an Avatar, but did have some tears for me. Near to the Erdtree was one of the little temple things like I'd found the previous night which had led to an underground river. Sure enough there was a lift in this one too. One to come back to.

Continuing down the road I fought off some demi-humans and found a merchant off to the side, who had some more recipes, thankee sir! The road ended at a grace site and a beach, with nothing much of consequence. I made my way up the hill to the castle, which turned out to be Fort Haight. Easily dodging the ballista  overlooking the main entrance, I stormed the gates with the help of my Godrick solider summons. Another pumpkin knight came down the steps, but for some reason ignored us and went down the path to fight a demi-human. Cheers! We ganged up on him after slaying the soldiers. Inside the gates we carved through the defenders with relative ease, including the blood knight. I was definitely a bit OP for most of this area.

I rode back to see Kenneth, but stopped to explore a bit more of the forest. Now it was daytime and the light coming through the fog and trees is gorgeous. I had an epic battle clearing out the pond of 3 giant bears, one by one, with the help of my mannequins, it was a close call but each bear killed refills some flasks which helps. Kenneth thanked me and I agreed to join his cause. He told me to meet him at the Fort. Teleporting back, his so-called communion with the demi-humans just seemed to have infested his fort with them, so I had to clear them out. Kenneth wasn't happy, but didn't indicate where he would be next. I'm guessing this is where he can get summoned for Margit, so maybe that's the end of his questline for me, but I'll have a look around for him in Limgrave/Stormveil later.

Now I wanted to investigate the lift to Sofria. Whoah. I already knew some of what to expect because of the forum but it is none-the-less beautiful and the scale is awesome. You can even ride down here, its so big! After much herb collecting around the ruins, I summoned my archer marionettes and we proceeded to fight big groups of these slow clay men, who hit hard and have tons of HP. These were the guys getting turned into pincushions by the archers, it was bloody brilliant. It still took ages to kill each group and my stupid archers kept not following me. On the ruin's upper levels some messages alerted me to a hidden route taken over the tops of the wall, which was fun. It also rewarded me with another war ash beetle, I think I got 3 or 4 during the night including the vaunted Bloody Slash and my much loved Square Off.

Going up the steps at the back of the chamber I emerged into an even larger system, very lush. This was cool! I sneaked upriver past a giant crab and stole its eggs, and then emerged to be blown away by the sight before me. Wow! This place was massive! It looks amazing! There's even herds of deer running around, its like a whole other world down here! I lit up a flame column and a helpful player message said 'seek fire and then boss' - so I knew I was in for some DS3 style roaming section where I'd have to find and light the columns to progress. Cool. I headed up to the right and ran into spectral versions of the tribesmen, who were just as tough as their physical counterparts and had a mage guy who hits like a truck. Above them was a little camp with a shield to collect, which lore interestingly says that bands of scouts were sent to explore the Elder ruins (or something like that). So we are in properly ancient ruins here, a civilization before the capital and suchlike. Interesting.

Nearby I found a body who had a map of the area. Wait, a map? I opened it. What the fuck?! This is so cool! A cavern and underground city so big it needs its own map - and looking at the scale, it's bloody massive. Totally blown away! I found a teleporter on the lake and got whisked across the cavern, where the views were even better. I lit 2 more columns up here, taking on rats and getting ruined by spectral tribe snipers. The snipers are real bastards here and make exploring very hard. I eventually gave up after getting sniped and losing the 10K runes I'd gathered through the underground ruins. That could have been another level up...

The last thing I wanted to check that night was the teleporter D had marked on my map by the church of Marika. This took me to some place with 'dragon' in the name, at the entrance of a big structure overlooking a dreary grey landscape pottered with ruins and debris, the rain pouring down. I could see another Erdtree in the distance as well as a rune tower. I checked the map. It had expanded again, by quite a bit. This was out to the northeast somewhere, and the map had expanded further east to accommodate it. It looked like a whole new region. Mad!

There was a giant winged statue or beast guarding the steps down to the landscape, so I figured the beast clergy guy would be in the building. Sure enough, inside was an impressive hall with hanging drapes and the bodies of beasts hung from the pillars. The clergyman was no man, but some large and hulking hooded creature. He didn't have much to say, but was pleased to consume my deathroot. I ended up giving him all 3 I'd collected so far, and got some beast incantations as rewards, which I can already use. Cool! I decided to call it there. It was great to get ported to yet another new region in an oppressive and grim looking place on the other side of the world effectively. This session just reinforced the sense of wonder this game can give you with its scale and size - I've uncovered a vast underground city and tasted what's out beyond the map borders, it just keeps impressing me! Really fun session, apart from the bloody snipers! 

5 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s worth saying that the bosses don’t just zero in on your summons and ignore you - they tend the attack whoever did the last big hit and it’s not uncommon for them to suddenly turn, mid-combo, and twat you when they’d previously been attacking your summon. 

Also, everyone raving about their jellyfish summon…I think mine is faulty. It does fuck all damage, doesn’t ever manage to poison any boss and then dies really quickly, and that’s at +5. 

I called the wolves a few times on Rannala but ended up ditching them. I found they just fucked up her attack patterns too much. Preferred to know what was going to happen. 

9 minutes ago, K said:

Digital Foundry do good analysis, but the strength of the criticism they use to talk about a game’s visuals is bizarre. That video of them talking about Elden Ring is a good example, as they use terms like “dire” and “just not good enough”, when the game looks basically fine, just a bit rough. The guy even goes so far as to say people shouldn’t bother with the Xbox One version, which seems madly over the top, like saying you shouldn’t watch a classic film on DVD, you have to watch it on UHD, or you’ll be wasting your time. 

Stuff like that just fuels the stupidity of the console warriors and their endless quest to defeat the people who own the other console. 

Agreed! At times it looks awful on xbone, especially the animations for mid/ distant enemies. 

At times though it looks superb, I though Stormveil Castle looked incredible (the entrance for example) or the first viewpoint to the lakes. 

I'm very pleased to be playing this now rather than wait until I get a SX. Though compromised, the experience is still great on the bone, I'm having a great time with the game. 

32 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yes, but there was still a heck of a lot of running through goop! 

For swamps/rot/lava where you can't use your mount, equip a Dagger in your RH and spam the Quick Evade Art.

Its loads faster than trying to sprint/roll through the muck. ;)

1 hour ago, John0 said:

If you mean the NPC red guy I killed him yeah. I think you're "supposed" but could be wrong. That kind of enemy is good at keeping up with you if you try and run. I used my go-to shield strategy on him when there's a fight with a long run from a bonfire that I don't want to have to do over and over.

Yeah the bonfire run is quite annoying for that mini-boss. I think I'll continue my current explorations before I head back to the Academy then, and level up myself and my weapons a few more times. I have a bunch of new powerful weapons like the sythe I can't upgrade at all because I've ran out of level 1 smithing stones, grr! Even at level 0 it does similar damage to my +7 and +8 swords, so I want to beef it up a bit.

I'm really glad I chose a Faith character for this game, in past games Faith has seemed pretty boring, but in this they've added so much variety with Faith. You got your healing spells, offensive spells (including lumping in pyromancy with Faith), buffs, and now I've discovered 2 new schools of magic tied to faith. I already have about 15-20 Faith spells to choose from, its mad! And I already have 4 or 5 Faith based weapons just sitting in my inventory waiting for the appropriate Faith to use, which look great. I've discovered the Faith, baby!

25 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

So last night I continued my explorations of the east lakes, and finally went to check out eastern Limgrave too. What a game!

Spoilers for both these areas:

Reveal hidden contents

Last time I'd teleported to a church on the hills, just east of the lakes. I soon found myself overlooking a bunch of white ruins with big statues of bearded fellows, and made my way to them. This area was a nasty gauntlet, full of tribal warriors with archers with magic homing arrows that could very nearly one-shot me. It took me ages to work my way through the narrow canyon and then deal with a camp of 3 warriors whilst getting sniped by two archers, I died so many times! In the end I had to use luring out tactics and my crossbow to deal with the archers. Beyond was the next grace site.

A small path led to a series of plateaus with 2 walking mauseleums. I didn't have any more boss souls so didn't see the point in taking them down just yet. These ones jumped though, which is both funny and epic. I had awesome views out to the north, where I could see the northern highroad leading to a huge cliff with inbuilt ruins. To its left is a big castle, and above stands the craggy volcano, where you can just see what's presumably the towers of the manor poking up behind it. The sense of scale is amazing!

The route ended with some tribals stamping their feet. Curious as to why, the next area had the answers - a minor Erdtree with a host of tribals all worshipping it, and an Erdtree Avatar standing guard. I spent ages trying to do this fight, using different summons and riding around on horseback, but it was just too much of a slog. I kept getting one-shot by the Avatar's slam attacks and I didn't do enough damage to it. Although I could probably persevere each attempt would take forever, so I decided to come back once I had more damage output.

Now it was time to explore East of Limgrave for the first time, beyond the map boundary of West Limgrave. I started at the bridge guarded by a big ol' pumpkin head, met a merchant and followed the road. I met my first giant caravan (poor chaps), and slaughtered an army as well as the giants. I was definitely over-levelled here so switched to my level 0 warhammer again so I wasn't killing everything in a hit or two. I found another skelly boat boss in a flooded village which me and the wolves decimated. Beyond that was the Waypoint Ruins full of plants, and underneath I found a pumpkin head boss, who hit hard but I managed to kill him on the first try. He was guarding a room with a sorceress exiled from the Academy, who's a spell vendor. I wonder if the other sorceress I found on the Weeping Peninsula was also exiled?

The road finally went uphill to where I could see giant growths on the horizon, and according to the map was quite near to the infamous chest trap teleport destination. This must be the edge of Caelid. The sky turned red as I approached a burning church. I love how the atmosphere changes in this game. Entering the church, an NPC invader with a giant cleaver tried to jump me, but I managed to kill her and get a grace site. I didn't see any reason to head into Caelid yet so I ported to the west Limgrave highroad by the giant gate, and followed the road south before taking the eastern fork into new territory. 

This road led to another Artist's shack on the higher fork (no idea where that painting is from!), and the lower fork soon reached a fallen ruin archway over the road, where an NPC called out from atop it asking for help. This turned out to be the much-mentioned here Kenneth, a posh chap who is heir to Limgrave. I agreed to rid his castle of nasties and continued down the road. After killing a giant, I reached the 3rd Church of Marika. This had been in a note I bought off a merchant right at the beginning, and should be home to a flask of psychic, which I already have a ton of tears for. Sure enough, at the back of the church I found my flask. I have about 8 tears already. I wish I'd found this flask earlier on, it would have been very handy for some of those bosses!

In the pond behind the church I found a sneaky hidden teleporter, and checking the map, this was the red mark that D at the Roundtable had put for me to meet his beastlord chap. I'd come back to this. The beach behind the church was fairly empty but on the cliffs above you could see the weird treelike growths poking up from Caelid. I carried on along the road, and it led me into a foggy forest. This must be the Mistwood Kenneth was talking about. Sneaking past a giant bear scratching a tree, I collected the east Limgrave map from the map column, and dodged a demi-human ambush. On the right of the road were some ruins and I sneakily investigated, to discover to my horror a giant bear sleeping just above the entrance to an underground tomb. Even though I was sneaking, he still woke up when I got too close, so I had to run into the underground where I was safe from his clutches. After grabbing the goodies I summoned my spear mannequins and we went upstairs to have an epic fight with the bear, where I only survived on my last flask, and went through all my fire weapon oil in the process. You don't mess with giant bears!

After clearing a graveyard next to the ruins, I carried on down the road and whilst chasing down the sound of wolf howls ran into the demi-human ambush I'd avoided earlier. These guys were easy though at this level. Behind them I discovered the area's minor Erdtree... which strangely didn't seem to have an Avatar, but did have some tears for me. Near to the Erdtree was one of the little temple things like I'd found the previous night which had led to an underground river. Sure enough there was a lift in this one too. One to come back to.

Continuing down the road I fought off some demi-humans and found a merchant off to the side, who had some more recipes, thankee sir! The road ended at a grace site and a beach, with nothing much of consequence. I made my way up the hill to the castle, which turned out to be Fort Haight. Easily dodging the ballista  overlooking the main entrance, I stormed the gates with the help of my Godrick solider summons. Another pumpkin knight came down the steps, but for some reason ignored us and went down the path to fight a demi-human. Cheers! We ganged up on him after slaying the soldiers. Inside the gates we carved through the defenders with relative ease, including the blood knight. I was definitely a bit OP for most of this area.

I rode back to see Kenneth, but stopped to explore a bit more of the forest. Now it was daytime and the light coming through the fog and trees is gorgeous. I had an epic battle clearing out the pond of 3 giant bears, one by one, with the help of my mannequins, it was a close call but each bear killed refills some flasks which helps. Kenneth thanked me and I agreed to join his cause. He told me to meet him at the Fort. Teleporting back, his so-called communion with the demi-humans just seemed to have infested his fort with them, so I had to clear them out. Kenneth wasn't happy, but didn't indicate where he would be next. I'm guessing this is where he can get summoned for Margit, so maybe that's the end of his questline for me, but I'll have a look around for him in Limgrave/Stormveil later.

Now I wanted to investigate the lift to Sofria. Whoah. I already knew some of what to expect because of the forum but it is none-the-less beautiful and the scale is awesome. You can even ride down here, its so big! After much herb collecting around the ruins, I summoned my archer marionettes and we proceeded to fight big groups of these slow clay men, who hit hard and have tons of HP. These were the guys getting turned into pincushions by the archers, it was bloody brilliant. It still took ages to kill each group and my stupid archers kept not following me. On the ruin's upper levels some messages alerted me to a hidden route taken over the tops of the wall, which was fun. It also rewarded me with another war ash beetle, I think I got 3 or 4 during the night including the vaunted Bloody Slash and my much loved Square Off.

Going up the steps at the back of the chamber I emerged into an even larger system, very lush. This was cool! I sneaked upriver past a giant crab and stole its eggs, and then emerged to be blown away by the sight before me. Wow! This place was massive! It looks amazing! There's even herds of deer running around, its like a whole other world down here! I lit up a flame column and a helpful player message said 'seek fire and then boss' - so I knew I was in for some DS3 style roaming section where I'd have to find and light the columns to progress. Cool. I headed up to the right and ran into spectral versions of the tribesmen, who were just as tough as their physical counterparts and had a mage guy who hits like a truck. Above them was a little camp with a shield to collect, which lore interestingly says that bands of scouts were sent to explore the Elder ruins (or something like that). So we are in properly ancient ruins here, a civilization before the capital and suchlike. Interesting.

Nearby I found a body who had a map of the area. Wait, a map? I opened it. What the fuck?! This is so cool! A cavern and underground city so big it needs its own map - and looking at the scale, it's bloody massive. Totally blown away! I found a teleporter on the lake and got whisked across the cavern, where the views were even better. I lit 2 more columns up here, taking on rats and getting ruined by spectral tribe snipers. The snipers are real bastards here and make exploring very hard. I eventually gave up after getting sniped and losing the 10K runes I'd gathered through the underground ruins. That could have been another level up...

The last thing I wanted to check that night was the teleporter D had marked on my map by the church of Marika. This took me to some place with 'dragon' in the name, at the entrance of a big structure overlooking a dreary grey landscape pottered with ruins and debris, the rain pouring down. I could see another Erdtree in the distance as well as a rune tower. I checked the map. It had expanded again, by quite a bit. This was out to the northeast somewhere, and the map had expanded further east to accommodate it. It looked like a whole new region. Mad!

There was a giant winged statue or beast guarding the steps down to the landscape, so I figured the beast clergy guy would be in the building. Sure enough, inside was an impressive hall with hanging drapes and the bodies of beasts hung from the pillars. The clergyman was no man, but some large and hulking hooded creature. He didn't have much to say, but was pleased to consume my deathroot. I ended up giving him all 3 I'd collected so far, and got some beast incantations as rewards, which I can already use. Cool! I decided to call it there. It was great to get ported to yet another new region in an oppressive and grim looking place on the other side of the world effectively. This session just reinforced the sense of wonder this game can give you with its scale and size - I've uncovered a vast underground city and tasted what's out beyond the map borders, it just keeps impressing me! Really fun session, apart from the bloody snipers! 

It seems obvious given the open world nature of the game, but it’s crazy that I saw all of the above in the first few hours of the game, well before I’d even set foot in Stormveil, Liurnia, or even Weeping Peninsula!

58 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Its really big.

Stunning game though.

I don't usually bother with hard bosses but somehow this is gaming crack. I did that fire magma Wrym cunt for the Katana this morning and found that fantastic river from the well in Mistwood. 

The tactics in this are amazing. So with Magma Wrym cunt i didn't use any summon ashes in the end because you realise its unpredictable. It'll turn against you as the aggro changes.

What game gives you NPC helpers only for them to actually be a hinderance? Obviously Tom Clancy Wildlands but thats a different thing.

Did that last night as well, along with Tree Sentinel, Tree Avatar and a familiar face from the past. That well has me intrigued - is it just a regular-sized well or is it something I may have already discovered in a bigger structure?

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

The tactics in this are amazing. So with Magma Wrym cunt i didn't use any summon ashes in the end because you realise its unpredictable. It'll turn against you as the aggro changes.

That's the prick I bumped into yesterday who I noped out on. Didnt even force the issue; had 4 or 5 attempts and went 'fuck that, maybe later'. Wasnt doing much damage and was getting two-hit-killed a lot. Granted he's slow as molasses, but that late in a session I didnt have the patience for ten minutes of single-strike hit and fade attacks on him. No summons though, so there's that - I dont mind using summons if it's part of a questline though so was a bit disappointed pot-bro was just hanging around like 'yeah see you later maybe, setting off aaaanytime now. Yep, anytime now....'

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Was about to say something similar. Maybe it’s my age, having grown up with 8-bit consoles and so on, but this just all feels massively overstated.

It’s strange isn’t it? Not to mention a bit rude for someone who isn’t a professional coder to talk about From’s work in such a dismissive way; it’s not far away from the classic “lazy devs” armchair criticism.

I find it really weird that the boundary between acceptability and a complete shambles is so fine - they’re arguing that 30fps is apparently fine, but 25 - 27fps is disgraceful. 

2 hours ago, K said:

Yeah it’s annoys me that, if Xbox One is all you have then I’m sure you’ll still have a good time and it’ll be £50 well spent. 

I’ve just given a guy at work one of my old consoles because he wants to play but he’s a bit strapped for cash, he’s absolutely delighted and can’t wait to play it! 

I’ve heard bloody slash mentioned a few times in here, but I’m not sure what the benefits of it are. Can someone explain?

I’m currently using Sacred Blade and the stats seem way better, so am I missing something?

Images below showing the stats.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd imagine it's the "causes bleed build up" in bottom right of new one.

So you do less damage but build up a status effect that causes damage when triggered

I just beat 

Spoiler

The snake and Rykard

That was one of my easier fights. Was kinda shocked tbh. 

That's me done with the volcano section. Think I must be coming to the end of the game. 

Bought a gamepad today and was looking forward to playing it this weekend. Sadly, it seems Elden Ring released in 2022 doesn't support ultra wide monitors. What a bloody shame. Forced to get a refund. 

I'm totally up for DF talk about frame rates.  I'm interested in frame rates, I think they're important in video games, and I'm glad that the pendulum has swung back towards people caring about them, after the early 3D games when marketing departments pushed the look of screenshots on a box over the responsiveness of the game's interaction.

But, I really don't like when the same technical-perspective people talking about something looking 'bad' because it doesn't use the most polygons or have the highest resolution textures or the most post-processing effects applied.  That's not what defines whether something looks good or not.

10 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Bought a gamepad today and was looking forward to playing it this weekend. Sadly, it seems Elden Ring released in 2022 doesn't support ultra wide monitors. What a bloody shame. Forced to get a refund. 

I think someone in here mentioned a patch/mod or something for that assuming you’re on PC?

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it’s annoys me that, if Xbox One is all you have then I’m sure you’ll still have a good time and it’ll be £50 well spent. 

I’ve just given a guy at work one of my old consoles because he wants to play but he’s a bit strapped for cash, he’s absolutely delighted and can’t wait to play it! 

Presumably if someone does then get a Series S/X console they get the newer version of the game free as is often the case in Xbox land?

27 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve heard bloody slash mentioned a few times in here, but I’m not sure what the benefits of it are. Can someone explain?

I’m currently using Sacred Blade and the stats seem way better, so am I missing something?

Images below showing the stats.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s the Bloody Slash LT/L2 move itself where the power resides.

Because it scales with Arcane, unless you have that stat pumped up the basic damage when doing regular attacks will most likely suffer in comparison to others, but it will also build up the Bleed status on enemies to compensate. But pumping LT in boss fights and against strong enemies will absolutely fucking annihilate them and melt their health bars. Just try it out and you’ll see. It’s easily one of the most potent and reliable Ashes of War in the game.

4 hours ago, K said:

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I'm basically over their shit. From watching their weekly direct podcast thing and their twitter banter, they're all an echo chamber onto themselves and they're just winding themselves up about everything. There's also some really bad opinion on games (basically anything retro aethetic is automatically great like Balan Wonderworld and absolutely everything open-world is terrible apparently). 

For me, the variable frame-rate of the next-gen version is a total non-issue. It looks and plays great and I like unlocked variable frame-rates as it just feels a step up better than a locked 30 fps. I'd rather have unlocked and close to 60 than 30 fps locked and a more sluggish feel. Also the artifact I absolutely loathe is screen-tearing.

While the measurements they take should be objective, what it means to the user is subjective. 

8 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I think someone in here mentioned a patch/mod or something for that assuming you’re on PC?

Yes, flawless widesreeen is a thing, but you have to use it in offline mode because the game will flag it as a cheat. Perhaps they will fix it further down the road and then I'll just buy it again. FROM has a history of not porting to PC very well. 

4 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Yes, flawless widesreeen is a thing, but you have to use it in offline mode because the game will flag it as a cheat. Perhaps they will fix it further down the road and then I'll just buy it again. FROM has a history of not porting to PC very well. 

Ah, I don’t know much about PCs sorry, thought it would be something simple