IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Oof, the location MotG doesn't fuck around. I think Melina said something about my journey reaching its end, so if that's an indication of progress then I can probably slow down my endless mapping and try to work on character development (Lv 69 right now.) Everything here that comes in with a boss health bar is ruining me. :lol: 

Echo the above, we're definitely at the point where graphical fidelity improvements offer severely diminished return, but sound art design is as important as ever and always will be. It's one of those things you cant cheat with more powerful hardware.

That said, the technical prowess used to drive that graphical fideilty still matter, and I feel like the implementation is a bit all over the place here. FPS chat aside, things like foliage shadows and volumetric fog with the light shafts streaming through look fucking brilliant, but they do seem to be a bit more demanding than I'd expect them to be, bit less efficient I guess? Dunno if that's just cuz the engine isnt quite as finely tuned for those kind of effects, I suppose for other From games it wouldnt have needed to be.

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Bully beef is best summon.

Mimic Tear is easily the best summon. My favourite is a snakey boy.

6 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Strong disagree.

They're all doable solo of course but I've always felt From has had co-op firmly in mind when designing many of them. 

I don’t see how that’s the case. They’re just so satisfying to do solo, and all easily possible that way. 

6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I think O&S in Dark Souls were designed for coop.

Obviously you can do them solo, but I think the point of them - the big design idea behind the two guys attacking you at once - is to hammer home how hard it will be to defeat a boss when there's a second boss you can't focus on, which is alleviated when there's a second player (or NPC) distracting the other boss for you.  The Gargoyles on a smaller scale too, I guess.

O&S are like a showcase for the idea of how much easier this fight would be if you had someone else in the room on your side.

I always took it as a showcase of how damn satisfying it is to solo two enemies. 

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

You should swap those Vigor and Endurance stats around.

I don't normally pump HP in Souls games, and as long as i can't get 1-shot i'm happy. But the enemies in the late game areas of Elden Ring, hit like a fucking truck! So needs must.

I’m adding to VIT now, not bothered about meta so I’m just going to keep levelling up. I won’t be doing PvP with my first build, and I don’t summon or really bother putting my sign down.

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I just lost 180k souls...

10ft from a grace site

To an octopus

:lol:

I lost 300k last night, almost felt annoyed at that one. 

45 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve heard bloody slash mentioned a few times in here, but I’m not sure what the benefits of it are. Can someone explain?

I’m currently using Sacred Blade and the stats seem way better, so am I missing something?

Images below showing the stats.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As someone else said, the L2 is amazing. Unless you’ve got big Arcane numbers though, a bleed spec weapon will suck.

5 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Whilst there might be mid distance pop in, the far distance and vista work here, is a step above anything else in this space. 

I still think BOTW reigns supreme here.  I'd love to see what those guys do eventually on a 'switch pro' 

Even on a purely technical level I think it looks good for the most part. There are some fairly low res ground textures I guess?

By the way, making good progress on this now. There's some really mad stuff in here. What a game.

48 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Presumably if someone does then get a Series S/X console they get the newer version of the game free as is often the case in Xbox land?

Yes that’s correct, generally speaking anyway, there are a few exceptions. 

36 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I still think BOTW reigns supreme here.  I'd love to see what those guys do eventually on a 'switch pro' 

I think for the hardware it is incredibly impressive, but number of assets in Elden Ring at those distances is shockingly good. The resolution of said assets too is something seldom seen in even linear games. 

If I were to have a personal preference over what has better art direction, it would fall in Elden Rings lap too. Much more variety, and the vista hero props are more commonplace. Big towers, castles, villages. Bosses!

But again, hardware limitations cannot be ignored ofcourse. 

Both are impressive in their own ways, and would hope if Nintendo had more power they would be as ambitious as From have been with this. 

I'm terms of who does it better, if we are talking objectively, it is usually always going to be the one with the bigger stick (hardware), but who can fault Nintendo's ambition in the past. Wind Waker and Super Mario Odyssey are absolute master pieces and make no sense how they got them working on the cube, and switch respectively. 

35 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’d love to see From games on Switch. I’d accept OG Xbox One performance if I could play Elden Ring on it. 

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh wow, along with the Welsh accents, this actually has a little of the of the Welsh language in it.  

And by little, so far it's one word. :)

Is it Blaidd? I read that Blaidd is welsh for Wolf. So he’s called Wolf the Half Wolf, I guess. 

29 minutes ago, spanx said:

Just beat the lava wyrm dude and got this sword everyone’s been banging on about. Thinking of respeccing, anyone got tips to start down a good road?

I think I came across it in a mine somewhere and moped out fast. Could you spoiler post where it is?

im ready to go back for the bastard now. 

7 minutes ago, joemul said:

I think I came across it in a mine somewhere and moped out fast. Could you spoiler post where it is?

im ready to go back for the bastard now. 

Spoiler

Gael tunnel on border of Limgrave and Caelid 

So I’ve vistited a few more locations and encountered a few more janky fights - poor camera, getting hit through walls, bosses far too big for small areas, unavoidable attacks because of the jank, attacks glitching through the boss. Seems totally pointless trying to play it with skill.

Decided to have a look at the Summon stuff. No idea how you do it so checked the guide in the inventory and it says “With a Spirit Calling Bell, you can use Ashes to summon spirits”. I’ve checked my inventory numerous times and I don’t have a Spirit Calling Bell.

Has anyone else noticed that any weapons that currently scale with arcane are broke, as in they don't scale at all with arcane.  Hope this gets fixed soon

Suspect they may nerf blood at the same time

Oh man, currently sitting in an airport hotel knowing I won't be able to visit the Lands In Between for another 8 days and getting really homesick, this game man! I cleared the capital yesterday and today, scoured every little nook and cranny, it's a marvel of design what a fucking level, what a fucking game! I then moved on West, some horrific events have happened there evidently. I've really taken my time with this, I think I had 102  hours on the clock and I'm just over level 100, gone full dex with a an Uchigatana which I then upgraded with a better Katana from an NPC questline. Duel weildiing these is insane! Once I've finished this playthrough I'll start a new character just got to decide a build, and as I've been 99% offline so far it will be coop/pvp based. Looking forward to getting into some jolly japes with some mukkers, get your coop/pvp builds going! I love how much everyone is enjoying this, best game!

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

So I’ve vistited a few more locations and encountered a few more janky fights - poor camera, getting hit through walls, bosses far too big for small areas, unavoidable attacks because of the jank, attacks glitching through the boss. Seems totally pointless trying to play it with skill.

Decided to have a look at the Summon stuff. No idea how you do it so checked the guide in the inventory and it says “With a Spirit Calling Bell, you can use Ashes to summon spirits”. I’ve checked my inventory numerous times and I don’t have a Spirit Calling Bell.

Roundtable, Bell Maidens, dirt cheap. They stock it if you miss the place you get it.

3 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Has anyone else noticed that any weapons that currently scale with arcane are broke, as in they don't scale at all with arcane.  Hope this gets fixed soon

Suspect they may nerf blood at the same time

Blood is really strong on any enemies susceptible to it for sure, it was also in Ds3 before they nerfed it a bit, I'm sure they'll be many balancing patches as they experiment judging how they did that with DS3.

7 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Roundtable, Bell Maidens, dirt cheap. They stock it if you miss the place you get it.

Cheers man! Will go and grab it. 

Are the Summons and the Ashes the same thing? Seems like it looking at the inventory.

Was hoping to play this all night tonight but I'm just home from the gym and had a spicy curry as a treat. 

Now I just want to sleep and I await the fact my own Elden Ring is going to red hot sore later...

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah, same thing. There's also ashes of war, to make it slightly more confusing.

I’m confused already!

Just looked up how you’re supposed to get the Spirit Bell, outside of the shop. Is there an NPC conversation about it early on or something? Seems pretty nuts that you can easily miss something so big.

35 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Stop getting FROM wrong!

Just appeared in my YouTube feed... 

Screenshot_2022-03-11-19-06-20-00_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.b3b0f3ee21f4593747ef4b0ff21ae7f7.jpg

Good grief! Being a speed running streamer has to suck, you can't ever just chill and enjoy something at a proper pace!