IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

I’ve bought the Spirit Bell from the shop, but there’s nothing telling you how to actually use it to summon with.

Have checked the Tutorial section and it appears there are Spirit Summons that you call with the Bell. However it refers to these as Spirit Summons and not Ashes. But they are the Ashes?

Also, Ashes of War (different to the Ashes) are how you add Skills to a weapon, which I can’t use with the weapon I’ve chosen anyway. Skills are on the LT. So, how do you use the Ashes which are the Spirit Summons. And how am I supposed to know all this shit if the game allows you to completely miss it all?

10 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’ve bought the Spirit Bell from the shop, but there’s nothing telling you how to actually use it to summon with.

Every single one of these posts is the Principal Skinner meme.

Go to the inventory when you're in an area with the grey monument/gate/portcullis icon on the left of your screen. Select one of your spirits. Use.

Once you've got the hang of it, assign them to your pouch or d-pad menu.

I assigned mine to my pouch (so press Y and then a direction on the dpad- same as my horse). You can only summon them in specific places - usually boss fights, but a bunch of other places in the open world. You’ll know because there’ll be a little glowing white portcullis symbol on the left of your screen, above your quick inventory. 

So I’ve managed to get hold of “the sword of night and flame”.  And have the required intelligence and faith levels - but it’s not doing any of the magic stuff.

I’m vanguard and thought that once I had the required stats I would be able to weld all the magic stuff.

Super rubbish if I can’t. Anyone know why it’s not doing its thing?

32 minutes ago, robdood said:

Just appeared in my YouTube feed... 

Screenshot_2022-03-11-19-06-20-00_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.thumb.jpg.b3b0f3ee21f4593747ef4b0ff21ae7f7.jpg

Good grief! Being a speed running streamer has to suck, you can't ever just chill and enjoy something at a proper pace! 

It uses a wrong warp tbf! Dist is an absolute beast, he's currently trying out a new launch glitch on stream which if they can get it consistent could lead to a 15-20 minute run.

The 'proper' speedrun is currently like 2 and a half hours. About 45 minutes of that is prep though lol

3 hours ago, pinholestar said:

It’s the Bloody Slash LT/L2 move itself where the power resides.

Because it scales with Arcane, unless you have that stat pumped up the basic damage when doing regular attacks will most likely suffer in comparison to others, but it will also build up the Bleed status on enemies to compensate. But pumping LT in boss fights and against strong enemies will absolutely fucking annihilate them and melt their health bars. Just try it out and you’ll see. It’s easily one of the most potent and reliable Ashes of War in the game.

Sounds good, although I’m not running a magic build at all.

I still don’t see how it’s better than the ashes I’m using, as the LT move with it is really strong. Does the Bloody Slash trump it through the bleed damage though? It doesn’t really seem that way looking at the pure stats.

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm totally up for DF talk about frame rates.  I'm interested in frame rates, I think they're important in video games, and I'm glad that the pendulum has swung back towards people caring about them, after the early 3D games when marketing departments pushed the look of screenshots on a box over the responsiveness of the game's interaction.

But, I really don't like when the same technical-perspective people talking about something looking 'bad' because it doesn't use the most polygons or have the highest resolution textures or the most post-processing effects applied.  That's not what defines whether something looks good or not.

You and your bloody logic and balanced considered approach.  

There's always art and when people care videogames normally always are. 

Irrespective of polygons. 

Im About 12 hours in, approx level 32-35, thought I’d share my thoughts on the time so far.

I’ve spent most of the time above land exploring and finding a lot of it quite empty. Very much shadow of the colossus vibes. This was ok at first but got a little boring. I was finding the lack of enemies crap and generally wanting for a tighter dark souls 1 design.

then I got a proper evening on it, maybe 4hrs just continuing that exploring, opening things up gradually and seeing some really impressive sights , monster designs etc. I did my first multiplayer boss, helped someone then called someone in to help me. Unlocked some interesting spells.

Some of the ‘out there’ world design Is absolutely stunning, fromsofts best work imo. It feels like world of Warcraft at times. But with amazing combat systems.

now I’m still exploring, but taking my time to inspect ruins in a little more detail, what seemed barren now needs every inch examined for dungeons and goodies.

I went on the hunt for the first proper boss, Did him 3rd tIme with some help.

i find myself stopping on cliff edges and just staring at the wonder of it all. It’s fascinating. 

it is, without doubt imo, the best game ever made. Just stunning. Slightly better than any soulsborne you want to mention.  But it’s not just a best of collection, it introduces so much.

stunning/10

5 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Every single one of these posts is the Principal Skinner meme.

Go to the inventory when you're in an area with the grey monument/gate/portcullis icon on the left of your screen. Select one of your spirits. Use.

Once you've got the hang of it, assign them to your pouch or d-pad menu.

The game hasn’t told me any of that. It literally just says “About Summoning Spirits - you can use Ashes to summon spirits with a Spirit Calling Bell” That’s it! 

Having googled a bit, the reason I don’t know all this is because you have to go back to the start of the game and head to a specific Grace Point and discover a certain NPC. If you don’t and push forwards or go off exploring, you can miss the NPC completely. Which is what I did. When I finally returned to that area she wasn’t there.

Seeing as you can miss it completely you would have thought there would be info attached to the items or the Tutorial section explaining how to use them, or give you an in game Tutorial when you receive the item. That would be common sense though and far too logical!

Talking of summons, I missed the NPC at the church somehow, but got the bell at the round table. Didn’t she give you the wolves if you met her though? Can I get them from somewhere else now?

2 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

I think for the hardware it is incredibly impressive, but number of assets in Elden Ring at those distances is shockingly good. The resolution of said assets too is something seldom seen in even linear games. 

If I were to have a personal preference over what has better art direction, it would fall in Elden Rings lap too. Much more variety, and the vista hero props are more commonplace. Big towers, castles, villages. Bosses!

But again, hardware limitations cannot be ignored ofcourse. 

Both are impressive in their own ways, and would hope if Nintendo had more power they would be as ambitious as From have been with this. 

I'm terms of who does it better, if we are talking objectively, it is usually always going to be the one with the bigger stick (hardware), but who can fault Nintendo's ambition in the past. Wind Waker and Super Mario Odyssey are absolute master pieces and make no sense how they got them working on the cube, and switch respectively. 

absolutely - the variance in ER is amazing, but it doesn’t have the absolutely go *anywhere* freedom. It still uses water and mountains to split up areas. That’s the thing that still blows my mind with BOTW. 

46 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Have checked the Tutorial section and it appears there are Spirit Summons that you call with the Bell. However it refers to these as Spirit Summons and not Ashes. But they are the Ashes?

Also, Ashes of War (different to the Ashes) are how you add Skills to a weapon, which I can’t use with the weapon I’ve chosen anyway. Skills are on the LT. So, how do you use the Ashes which are the Spirit Summons. And how am I supposed to know all this shit if the game allows you to completely miss it all?

What did you actually do exactly at the start of the game to miss these things? Some people missed 1 or 2 tutorial points but it’s like you started 10 hours in :lol:

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Talking of summons, I missed the NPC at the church somehow, but got the bell at the round table. Didn’t she give you the wolves if you met her though? Can I get them from somewhere else now?

You can buy them from the twins in Roundtable, same ones who sold you the bell. I missed Ranni, too. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

For playthrough 2 I think I’ll go heavy faith. Some of those spells look crazy! 

That's what I was doing but respecced out as I was only using 1 spell really

6 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

What did you actually do exactly at the start of the game to miss these things? Some people missed 1 or 2 tutorial points but it’s like you started 10 hours in :lol:

I went off exploring and ended up at Caelid. Then did loads of other stuff before even getting Torrent. From what it says on Google the NPC is only there at night. Swear I didn’t even see a day/night cycle till I came back out of completing Sofia Well.

Have now equipped the Summon. The icon pops up, but the summon has a line through it. I try and use it and the character just grabs at their back, like there’s something not equipped. What do I still need to do? 

Suddenly managed to open things out a bit again…

Spoiler

Beat the Caria Manor boss, unlocked the big lift and now have a massive new area to explore. What I presume is the city seems a tad unwelcoming so far :)

The respec as a Dex/int build with this new sword has made combat much more fun… and deadly. Now I need to get the hang of magic 😕

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is it Blaidd? I read that Blaidd is welsh for Wolf. So he’s called Wolf the Half Wolf, I guess. 

Aye, that's the one. They even pronounce it correctly: bl-eye-th. 

37 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You can buy them from the twins in Roundtable, same ones who sold you the bell. I missed Ranni, too. 

Ah, thanks!

EASY MODE ENGAGED!!!

The Beast without summon - good positioning needed. Camera control. Lots of perfectly timed rolling, jumping, healing if needed. 6-7 standard hits. Couple of jump attacks. A stagger.

Crucible Knight without summon - Good positioning. Well timed rolling, jumping, healing. Careful well timed attacks. Lots of hits and lots of perseverance and patience.

With Wandering Noble Summon - the Beast goes down like a sack of shit and is staggered by the summon almost instantly. Just have to stand behind it doing jump attacks. Goodbye! Crucible Knight goes down like a sack of shit too and is staggered almost immediately. Just stand behind him doing jump attacks. Half of his health was gone in seconds. He then just attacked the summon leaving me free to hit him from behind. I then just let him kill me as it felt like using a cheat mode.

Think I’m just going to explore more and level up for now. I want a good challenge, just not an unfair one. At the same time I don’t want to remove a good chunk of the stuff I love from the game.