IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Re Rannis Quest

Spoiler

Having completed Caria Manor I’ve headed to Ranni’s Rise in Three Sisters but she isn’t there. Is there something I’ve not done to trigger it?

I just made it to Altus Plateau and am enjoying it, partially because I’ve not seen any of it before.

I think they make a mistake of just teleporting you to random places too often in this. I’ve seen so many places that I wasn’t ready for. Once or twice would have been fine, but I feel like a lot of the mystery was taken away, by say, teleporting me into deepest darkest Caelid and making me run my way out, or whatever. 

Caelid, the Capital, Volcano Manor, another bit of Caelid, Liurnia and Raya Lucaria. All kind of spoiled by teleporting me there for mostly pointless reasons. 

4 hours ago, Minion said:

Jeez that Melania is a tough cookie, even with a +10 mimic can't get halfway through phase 2. People who beat her did you solo, ash summon or phantom it?

I've done the fight a few times now and have always summoned a mimic.

It seems impossible at first, and some builds definitely have it easier than others, but honestly, once you're familiar with it it's a lot of fun.

My latest run was a character dual wielding greatswords. I was preparing for the worst considering how hard to dodge some of her shit is and how difficult another slow-playing build had it against her, but it was actually fine even without a shield. I didn't even know about the technique that was posted earlier, although I've managed to fluke dodging it a couple of times! The the easiest way I've found to deal with it (with a sufficiently good shield) is to block the first two flurries, then do a delayed dodge roll through her as she starts the third, and then block the fourth and roll the final hit. However, with the right mitigation you can actually play pretty sloppy and still get away with it, a la this video of me doing it with two greatswords.

Spoiler

TBH, if you have a mimic the great thing is that she's not that difficult to stagger, so if you time it well enough you can knock her out of a lot of stuff. Most of my successful runs have actually kept her from getting a single waterfowl off in phase 1.

I guess in the future I've got to learn how to do the fight without a mimic!

5 hours ago, Minion said:

Jeez that Melania is a tough cookie, even with a +10 mimic can't get halfway through phase 2. People who beat her did you solo, ash summon or phantom it?

Spoiler

Try Black Knife Tiche - she dodges more than just tanking hits

6 hours ago, NexivRed said:

I have no idea how to do a guard counter, and I performed my first critical hit yesterday 😅 I had to Google how to do them lol. 

I levelled from 98 last night up to 108, and with my +6 Bloodfang (still), I’m enjoying twatting stuff that’s been pissing me off.

It was a proper rune fest with the two bosses, the Fell twins you meet on the way to activate runes in Alteus, and a “Hero’s Rune” and “Lord’s Rune” I found. 50k in one go with the latter!

I was really worried there’d just be no opportunity to find the runes needed to level later in the game, but simple mobs in the new snowy place drop 1500 a piece. Come a long way from getting excited at the runes from downing a Limgrave giant lol. 

The only question that remains is, do I finish the game with my current build. I’m a two handed sword sort of person, with more points in DEX than STR.
I want to give a sword and magic and also a full caster build a go, but not sure when to try it.

I’m an impatient and aggressive rusher that only has roll and health to save me. Turning myself into a glass cannon that’s meant to stand back is probably not going to make me happy right now.

But some of these swords I have that require INT or ARC do interest me. I do use some magic, but only to heal myself from scarlet rot or poison lol. It would be nice to do something “cleverer”.

Heh, I'm some way behind you, level 50ish but am playing the same way. I've even got Bloodfang(+4) as my number one weapon, when that bleeding happens, it just destroys :) I love it.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Interesting. How do you fight? Do you just block and wait for an opening? Or not use shields at all?

Very few people parry in any of these games I imagine. I seldom bother. It is very high risk for relatively minimal reward. Especially now with guard counter, which is basically parrying but just consistently doable, it is a bit redundant unless you enjoy mixing things up for its own sake.

3 hours ago, Minion said:

Yeah it's no problem man, just add me on PSN and send me a message when you're on sometime xx_SIMULANT_xx

Hey, I've sent a request. We can sort something tomorrow maybe. Thanks again. :)

@joemul The guides say she should be at the top of Ranni's Rise.

Absolutely incredible scrap against the boss of Castle Sol just now. I had a strategy, and it paid off, but only with some of the most desperate last ditch attacks, rolls, flukey dodges, and finally, somehow, an Indiana Jones finish:

Spoiler

At one point I was nearly dead and so was he, and my gf was out of her chair hollering “TONY! TONY! HEALLLLL!” :lol:

So entertaining! :)

Just thought I’d ‘finish’ up Mistwood area

Stumbled upon 

Spoiler

Haight Manor

and thought ooh nice, little secret area with some snazzy items. 

Then came across

Spoiler

Sofira River

Sweet mother of God… :o

2 hours ago, joemul said:

Re Rannis Quest

Hide contents

Having completed Caria Manor I’ve headed to Ranni’s Rise in Three Sisters but she isn’t there. Is there something I’ve not done to trigger it?

Pretty sure she was at the top of her tower for me.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Fucking hell man. What about parrying? I guess not?

Is that a shield move? I stopped using a shield around level 10-15 I think. I’m way too impatient lol. I run or roll away from stuff. I also take down a lot of big stuff on horseback because I really enjoy it. I love the tight circles you can do if you stop tracking the camera as you turn. 

3 hours ago, Danster said:

Heh, I'm some way behind you, level 50ish but am playing the same way. I've even got Bloodfang(+4) as my number one weapon, when that bleeding happens, it just destroys :) I love it.

I found that the little Morning Star was a great accompaniment tin your arsenal, as the sword won’t give you satisfying results on some magic, all cave, and all crystal enemies. Definitely worth levelling that one up with your regular smithing stones. 

The other weapon I have used a couple of times when a strong enemy isn’t weak to the slash of Bloodhound Fang or bleed, is a piercing sword (I chose the Claymore), and that’s the one I stick Ashes of War onto when they’re needed in a fight. 

I’ve not felt the need to replace Bloodhound because I doubt I have the stones at this point, and I love the strong attack. I love it’s a two parter. 

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

The other big bugbear I have is the bonfire runs. It's always been one of my most hated things in Souls but they finally put in a solution with stakes of Marika. Great! But inexplicably, they still force you to do pointless bonfire runs in loads of situations, sometimes making you run through whole dungeons, go up lifts and so on. It's so frustrating especially when you are struggling and constantly having to make these time wasting runs just to get to the boss. *Why* don't they just put the stakes of Marika at the entrance to all the boss doors and encounters? It's so backwards and the inconsistency is infuriating.

There are stakes or bonfires outside 99% of the boss rooms, and the longest runs in this are nothing compared to their previous games. "Loads of situations" is a massive exaggeration, I've beaten over a hundred boss fights in this and I can think or two that have what might be described as a run before them, and even those are short and easy.

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

Anyone finding the late game unbalanced probably needs to watch this

Yep, posted a few pages back but pleased to see it reposted as many times as it takes to help someone. I respecced and doubled my vigor while only losing <5% damage. The bosses I was trying to fight were hitting for 500+ and I had 400ish HP. Now after a few more levels I have 1400. Of course I immediately made loads of progress, got a load of stones and added 30% damage to my moonveil to counter the drop felt from the lower INT. Sometimes I wonder if vigor should simply increase every level, whatever you put your points into. It would help them balance the game surely?

Next problem, anyone suffering from overbearing or weird input lag/queuing ? I mean, beyond the normal Souls bullshit. I’m having this issue where I’m holding L2 to ready transient Moonlight, I tap R2 to attack, then I wait for the ready stance to kick back in so I can press R2 again, but before I’ve pressed it my character does a normal R2 attack leaving me wide open. I’m holding L2 the whole time and definitely not spamming or even touching R2 after the first press. I also get an issue where I sometimes press triangle quickly mid fight to loot, and it performs an R2 attack. I’ve trained myself to hold L2 and wait for the sound of the ready stance before I press R2 again. I thought it might be a dodgy R2 button but it happens on both of my pads. It never happens after the R1 version of the attack, ever. 

Similarly I find myself dual wielding my shield sometimes despite definitely not pressing triangle and L1 together. 

And often I find a command like switching from katana to staff takes seconds to come out when there’s no apparent reason for it to (stun lock etc). 

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

Jesus, this final boss

Hide contents

is BULLSHIT

Yep. I’ve been there for a while now - I actually went off to grab more levels the other day just to have a bit more health. I can kind of get some easy damage in on the first bit if I use the Strength staff with its projectile skill, but I still have to avoid getting hit myself, and the variations in the combos on the first phase still mess me up. And the second phase is still very messy.

I really like the first phase. It feels like one of the best final bosses to me. But phase 2 sucks and is probably the worst final boss in any of their games. 

1 minute ago, Ste Pickford said:

Getting to the capital in 30 hours sounds insane to me.  You must have missed half the game!

I didn’t make it there until I’d clocked over 100 hours 😬

Finally beat Melania last night after god knows how many attempts. The key for me was equipping a shield before summoning the mimic tear so that it survived into phase 2. Although the time I beat her was messy as fuck and I'd had much clearer runs before. A win is a win though. Now I can go finish the game.

Spoiler

Excuse the empty casting, I was keeping my eyes on Malenia and not my FP bar.

I’m at over 150 hours on the clock and I’m guessing nearing the end, but I’m not overly keen on the backloading of really hard bosses. At this point in the journey I should be on a giddy power trip after all the character levelling and weapon upgrading, but then I meet an enemy that moves stupidly fast and can two-shot me and it takes the wind out of my sails a bit. I’m not expecting a walk in the park, don’t get me wrong, but I also don’t fancy another boss that takes me 50 attempts.

I would say overall it’s either been crazy hard or stupidly easy. I imagine trying to strike a good balance in a game of this scope and size must be one of the biggest challenges they face though.

9 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Very few people parry in any of these games I imagine. I seldom bother. It is very high risk for relatively minimal reward. Especially now with guard counter, which is basically parrying but just consistently doable, it is a bit redundant unless you enjoy mixing things up for its own sake.

Parrying is a lot less likely to make you vulnerable to being staggered than guard counter though and turns the fight in your favour. You immediately go on the offensive from a successful parry and leave the enemy wide open, even bosses. It's still definitely viable and preferable to guard counter which may leave you open.

This is the best video I could find if anyone wants to learn. To me parrying *is* the combat in FROM games, guard counters are fine but you'll never be in control of a fight like you would with a solid parry strategy.

36 minutes ago, Broker said:

I really like the first phase. It feels like one of the best final bosses to me. But phase 2 sucks and is probably the worst final boss in any of their games. 

Agreed. I've got him down to the last 10% probably five times but he has some absolute bullshit attacks when he's at low health. Constantly running away like a pussy as well, fuck off

7 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I’m at over 150 hours on the clock and I’m guessing nearing the end, but I’m not overly keen on the backloading of really hard bosses. At this point in the journey I should be on a giddy power trip after all the character levelling and weapon upgrading, but then I meet an enemy that moves stupidly fast and can two-shot me and it takes the wind out of my sails a bit. I’m not expecting a walk in the park, don’t get me wrong, but I also don’t fancy another boss that takes me 50 attempts.

I would say overall it’s either been crazy hard or stupidly easy. I imagine trying to strike a good balance in a game of this scope and size must be one of the biggest challenges they face though.

I'll talk about this a lot more when I finish the thing but the balancing of this game is fucked due to the spirit ashes. Thankfully it's still fun.