IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Jumped into this again last night after about a 10 day break and some Kirby to cleanse to the palette in between. Did most of the Shaded Castle until the boss repeatedly ripped me to shreds and I called it a night. Relentless. 

I'm thinking of respeccing as the build I have at the moment doesn't seem to lend itself to that much variety. I have about 34 INT, and 17 STR and DEX so most of the cool looking melee weapons are out of my reach and the spells in this are honestly pretty boring. I use mostly the same three or so spells for 90% of the game because they have the best damage/speed/FP use ratio. I've also stuck with the crystal sword for the most of the game because I don't have that many other good options. I did try a sword that restores some HP after every kill last night but I can't say running out of flasks has ever been much of a problem in this so it feels a bit redundant.

Since the incantations look way more interesting than the spells I'm thinking of a FAITH/DEX build. Is this likely to make my life harder or easier? Never done a faith build in one of these games before. 

I feel like this Rivers of Blood katana is intentionally overpowered. My build isn't even really specced for it as I'm high Faith but I'm still wrecking shit. I love it. Clear max upgrade candidate.

Used it to defeat

Spoiler

Melania. With the help of a particularly nasty ghost summon that also seems overpowered. Praise the blood loss!

18 minutes ago, Majora said:

Since the incantations look way more interesting than the spells I'm thinking of a FAITH/DEX build. Is this likely to make my life harder or easier? Never done a faith build in one of these games before.

I love my Faith/Strength build. Pyro, poison and lightning offensive spells, plenty of options for healing and poison/rot cures, and a couple of others for creating a kind of sonic boom effect that blasts enemies off walkways. Magma Wyrm Sword as my main weapon which is now scaling B in Faith from upgrades and doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Faith infused Treespear for pokey-pokey behind the shield, upgraded longbow.

Killed the Shaded Castle boss first time with that setup with most of my health left.

Magma Wyrm Sword demo, not by me:

Spoiler

So with the Magma Guillotine special attack followed up with a long blast of Rotten Breath whilst they're staggered by the magma pool, I'm just melting through enemies. It's a relentless combo as the damage keeps stacking and they're constantly losing health. Really great fun weapons to use.

I got to Radahn the other day and it felt a bit out of my league so pushed on elsewhere for now.  Realised I'd missed Caria Manor in the lakes so did that area and got to the Three Sisters place.  I've been mostly playing without any guides or spoilers, but you can't help picking things up form threads like this, and I look up the odd thing if I'm stuck.

I've read people talking about Ranni's quest line, but I've only met her at the start when she gave me the bell.  Found Ranni's Rise and was expecting to meet her, but the whole area is deserted (apart from a dragon), so I looked it up and it seems she's not there because I started the festival with Radahn, and won't return until I kill him.  So now I'm thinking I better do Radahn instead of anything else, in case I leave it and do things further on that mess up anything that starts here with Ranni.

When it comes to Ashes, as an Astrologer I relied on Mimic+10 on my first run and Tiche+10 on my NG. Especially in the later parts of NG, the Mimic seems squishy. Tiche is so nimble and happily dodges attacks where my Mimic collects attacks with her face while being knocked down all the time. That said, maybe Mimic works perfect for melee builds with a little bit of Def and Poise.

So, my recommendation for an Astrologer: Tiche. Getting her is a complete bastard though, her gaol is by far the hardest I encountered.

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I got to Radahn the other day and it felt a bit out of my league so pushed on elsewhere for now.  Realised I'd missed Caria Manor in the lakes so did that area and got to the Three Sisters place.  I've been mostly playing without any guides or spoilers, but you can't help picking things up form threads like this, and I look up the odd thing if I'm stuck.

I've read people talking about Ranni's quest line, but I've only met her at the start when she gave me the bell.  Found Ranni's Rise and was expecting to meet her, but the whole area is deserted (apart from a dragon), so I looked it up and it seems she's not there because I started the festival with Radahn, and won't return until I kill him.  So now I'm thinking I better do Radahn instead of anything else, in case I leave it and do things further on that mess up anything that starts here with Ranni.

Definitely worth doing Ranni's quest as it opens areas and items otherwise inaccessible. But yes, Radahn has to die first. Good luck, skeleton.

NG++ even, just finished the NG+ run.

Hate is a strong word. I think it's mediocre/average (some parts are spectacularly good, some parts are mindbogglingly bad), but overall, whatever. Definitely not doing multiple runs with different builds, this'll be uninstalled as soon as the Plat pops.

My mimic is a beast. Fully upgraded (because ghost upgrades are much easier to come by), if the sign comes up in time I put on my heaviest armour to give insane Def and poise, then swap back so I can med roll. Also made a load of perfumes which great increased poise and defence, and those perfumes which give allies increased strength and a one shot damage shield. Took down the 2 tree sentinels and the draconic one without a scratch.

24 minutes ago, df0 said:

Hate is a strong word. I think it's mediocre/average (some parts are spectacularly good, some parts are mindbogglingly bad), but overall, whatever. Definitely not doing multiple runs with different builds, this'll be uninstalled as soon as the Plat pops.

That’s madness. Who has the time for that? :lol:

24 minutes ago, df0 said:

Erm…

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Those Viking bastards with the magic arrows that seemingly move at the speed of light. How do you get close enough to kill them? There's normal ones east of Liurnia and blue ones in the eternal city. They just proper fuck me.

Use cover. Between shots use trees, rocks, anything, even crouch behind cover if you need to. Even a thin tree can save your life.

@Wiper it's very unfortunate you missed the summon signs, its a big part of what makes the fight so awesome!

Spoilers for the boss:

Spoiler

To start with all the summon signs are at the start and placed going up the hill towards him, and you can summon like 8 NPCs to help at once. So they all start charging up the hill towards him in front of you, its so frikking epic. And then the rest of the fight they're all fighting him as you run/ride around getting in hits whilst you can. And you can even resummon them so the epic battle continues even into phase 2. 

I'm very curious about the nerf Radhan received, it was before I did him. For me he didn't seem to have a very big health pool (assuming the summons are helping). He mostly one-shot me anyway so I dunno about his damage dealing.

As for pad input delay, I have definitely noticed some lately, mainly when chaining dodge rolls. There's a boss who finishes a combo with an overhead swipe, but the first hits you need to dodge backwards, and then go sideways for the overhead swing. But it keeps buffering the backward rolls because I'm hammering the button - sometimes getting me killed because I can't do the sideways roll at the end.

Also someone was asking about how to know where to go near the start of the Ranni quest:

Spoiler

Actually if you talk to the giant blacksmith he also tells you where the meteor fell. I actually just saw it because I was in Limgrave and saw the massive floating rocks out in the distance. Good job too because my shitty memory thought the meteor fell north of Caelid!

Prior to the nerf, Radahn was much more difficult. The summons basically did nothing but distract him and die in two or three hits, his arrows at the start were extremely difficult to dodge on torrent, he hit ridiculously hard and his attacks had mad reach. 

Not sure how they nerfed him, exactly, but by all accounts he’s now far easier. 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

So mediocre and average that you've been spending 4 hours a day on it since release

19 hours ago, cassidy said:

Wait a minute I just saw video on YouTube that had you fighting a Crucible knight and the beastman in Radahns Castle.

I didn't have this and just walked in and started the festival. Wtf? 

I did this, but haven't done whatever it is I needed to do to start the festival....

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Prior to the nerf, Radahn was much more difficult. The summons basically did nothing but distract him and die in two or three hits, his arrows at the start were extremely difficult to dodge on torrent, he hit ridiculously hard and his attacks had mad reach. 

Not sure how they nerfed him, exactly, but by all accounts he’s now far easier. 

Even pre patch I murderised him so hard I didn't even see phase 2 :(

3 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Baddie summoning snail FUCKS. I won't forget this

I'm fucked off with Niall still,

Nearly fucking got him this morning. Now decided to try later and carry on exploring the snowy mountains. 

it's a hell of a boss. you spend ages getting good at killing his friends and then it turns out he's pretty tough as well :( 

Get your lightning defense as high as it'll go (I used the Dragonclaw shield as well) so if you mis-time a dodge and catch an electrified leg to the face you don't die.

9 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

it's a hell of a boss. you spend ages getting good at killing his friends and then it turns out he's pretty tough as well :( 

Get your lightning defense as high as it'll go (I used the Dragonclaw shield as well) so if you mis-time a dodge and catch an electrified leg to the face you don't die.

I've done 66 out of 69 hrs without a shield. Not going to use one now. I like two swords so much more. 

13 hours ago, NexivRed said:

The Brother Corym and Goldmask stuff. 

If it's the part I think it is

Spoiler

where you need to cast a high INT spell at a statue

You can do it in 2 ways

Either use a Larval Tear to temporarily re-spec, then another to go back

Or

Use a mixture of gear, talismans and mixing a Flask of Wondrous Physick to raise your INT high enough. I managed it with 16 base INT

The intention is for the flask sacrifice and menu confirmation to eventually become one smooth motion… while you’re running. Think of it like Capcom asking Miyazaki to define the input for a special move in Street Fighter.

I beat the gargoyles earlier after a full session of trying yesterday and a few goes the day before as well as a few other quests/bosses to try break it up.

Terrible things, the poison is complete bullshit. I went equipped with the poison healing spell(?) but don’t think I used it in the successful run and only used 3 flasks to heal too - 1 was straight after summoning the mimic and the others where it was a bit sketchy. Funny that that one was decent, everything fell into place and a couple of tries before I didn’t hit it once and died within 30 secs.

:lol: - I was cursing this very mechanic just yesterday fighting a golem. Diabolical yes, genius....:mad:

One UI thing that's been pissing me off lately is that for some reason when equipping Ashes of War, you can't view the descriptions of them. Why? I have so many now I have no idea what half of them do, and its annoying to have to exit the grace point just to go into your inventory and look.

Has anyone else encountered a thing where an enemy doesn't die from what should be a killing hit, leaving them with an empty health bar but they're still running around and attacking? Then another hit kills them.

I don't mean "ooh, I think that attack should probably have killed them, but it didn't," I mean they only have a little sliver of health left, you hit them with an attack that does ten times that amount of damage, now they don't even have than little sliver of health left, but they're still alive.

It happened once a few days ago, I can't remember what enemy type it was, but I'm reasonably sure it was a human-sized one, maybe a knight. Since it had only happened once in 120-odd hours of play I assumed it was a bug, but it happened twice more today, both times to one of the red albinaurics in Mohgwyn Palace. So that makes me think maybe it's an ability certain enemies have. I.e. if they have less than 5% health remaining (or whatever the specific figure might be), they can survive one killing blow.

Anyone else know what I mean?