IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Does anyone know what / if there is a penalty for killing the merchants yet?

Spoiler

Can't remember exactly where I saw it. But there is a note or clue somewhere warning us not to do it and hinting at consequences, iirc. 

45 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Beat Rahdan last night. Wasn’t too hard in the end. I’d have had no idea what to do afterwards if I hadn’t used a guide.

You doń't need a guide unless keen to rush through and get it done ASAP but that would mean missing half the fun of being alone in a huge, almost entirely hostile, world

All you do at any time is just wander off and see what's what. I've not bothered with a guide so far and am getting along just fine as the game seems to very subtly push the player in the right direction which means I've ended up back on the critical path after a thousand and one detours to look at things and explore. I'll have missed loads of side quests for sure but there will always be future playthroughs. 

3 minutes ago, smac said:

Ah, this is going to be fun. 

It will be!

Really, I think the best advice is to just choose your class and get out there. If something is proving a challenge, then dash off and do something else. There is a LOT to see and do in the opening area (which you are not confined to, but you'll soon learn where you should not be at any given time).

Have you played the other games? That will at least give you a grounding in the basics which are pretty consistent with their earlier work but, if not, this is a surprisingly  accessible intro to how FROM do things albeit in a huge and extraordinary open world rather than the somewhat tighter and more controlled environments of earlier games. There is a how to thread for any specific questions/issues too...

Ah man, just found (by clearing an area I was waaaay overpowered for) another way into the capital that allows you to avoid fighting the draconic tree sentinel.  

This fucking game :D

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Try spamming unsheath against both phases, use that Nagakiba, try using the poise talisman and some heavy armour it will help your mimic, this is how I got through it in the end. You also need to be prepared to tank a lot of damage so try and top up when the EB goes to the far end of the arena as you'll no doubt get hit with something. Good luck.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. I need to switch hands with my katanas. I had corpse piler on L2, which is good, but soon runs out of FP. Cheers.

@df0Will switch into the Tree Sentinel Armour and try some talisman adjustment, thanks.

Despite not doing it yet,

Spoiler

it doesn't otherwise feel like a very difficult fight if you get me? My damage is fine, I have plenty of HP, I can dodge the physical attacks, nothing is too frantic like some other bosses. It's just the damn magic crap. I'll try these adjustments later when I get in.

54 minutes ago, Mike S said:

You doń't need a guide unless keen to rush through and get it done ASAP but that would mean missing half the fun of being alone in a huge, almost entirely hostile, world

All you do at any time is just wander off and see what's what. I've not bothered with a guide so far and am getting along just fine as the game seems to very subtly push the player in the right direction which means I've ended up back on the critical path after a thousand and one detours to look at things and explore. I'll have missed loads of side quests for sure but there will always be future playthroughs. 

yeah, I appreciate that… but I also like to mainline things if I can. I don’t particularly enjoy aimless wandering. I don’t mind being distracted from a goal though,

anyway, I got to the Caelid rune tower and the guy outside the boss room is just a pain in the arse.  That’s bad design sorry. 

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Mountain of the Giants talk:

Hide contents

Even the jellyfish are Welsh?!

Cont y môr is the original Welsh for Jellyfish btw. 

It's no longer used for obvious reasons. 

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

It is an absolutely staggering quantity of work.  Like the sheer effort to design and create it all does boggle my mind. 

It is, and I’m pretty sure it’s made possible by the fact that they don’t reinvent the wheel for each game, and instead reiterate on what’s come before.

For me, I would still place Demons and Dark 1 over this, partly because they’re the games that set this whole genre in motion, but also because of how dense and tightly designed they are, especially Dark Souls. Elden Ring in comparison is crazy in its size and scope, but suffers a bit because of that in my opinion, at times it just feels a bit too big. Also as I’ve said before, I think it would benefit greatly from some light gating to make the progression smoother.

It’s still a solid 9.5 though ;)

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Some pages ago I said I preferred DS1 and Bloodborne to Elden Ring which definitely isn't the case now. This is just utterly sublime, ridiculous in its generosity and completely, deeply engrossing. The detail and scope is still head spinning. How all this stuff fits together is incomprehensible. How did they do this? I don't think I've ever been as lost and submerged in a piece of entertainment in my life.

It is astonishing that 130 hours into playing an open world game I am still being constantly surprised by things, seemingly around every corner. On the critical path I am at the Royal Palace but have spent the last couple of days distracted as I've revisited earlier areas to check in on NPCs and follow up on earlier unfinished business. Those deviations have lead to MASSIVE discoveries and more 'wows', 'WTF's', and 'YOU DIED's than most games deliver in their entirety. It's just extraordinary.

Any other, 'normal' open world game I'd have finished or, much more likely, become bored of long, long ago as the shopping list of instructions and cookie cutter fetch, raid, help, etc, missions, dull exposition, and gaudily overpopulated maps would have exhausted me. This just seems to go on and on doing its own unique thing, giving more and more, and it is just absolutely fucking glorious. I've got ab out half a dozen things on the go in the game just now but whenever I focus on one I end up finding other things and then that's a whole new distraction.

Any other developer would have delivered half the game (which would still be incredible value) and sold us the rest as DLC so generous is definitely the word. 

10 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Also as I’ve said before, I think it would benefit greatly from some light gating to make the progression smoother.

I empathise with this point of view.  But the fact that it doesn't is what makes it a 10 for me. 

14 minutes ago, scottcr said:

yeah, I appreciate that… but I also like to mainline things if I can. I don’t particularly enjoy aimless wandering. I don’t mind being distracted from a goal though,

anyway, I got to the Caelid rune tower and the guy outside the boss room is just a pain in the arse.  That’s bad design sorry. 

Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't having a dig. 

The wandering is where I have found so much fun and unexpected wonder though. It's also why my progress is relatively slow - I tend to go over areas several times on multiple visits to see if anything has changed (and that has paid off handsomely in the last week) but appreciate that many don't want to retread ground just in case they see something. I randomly found a dude who had been turned into a tree the other day! Which reminds me I need to try and remember where that was as he went off to steal something for me...

I don't remember the guy outside the Caelid rune tower boss room. If it is the one I'm thinking of can't you just run past?

5 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I've finally killed my nemesis guarding the Capital, die, you bastard!

I did a wee re-spec and as suggested put a few more points in Dex (now 39) which upped my damage a little, and crucially a few extra Vit points (now 20), which made all the difference because I wasn't getting one-shotted by every attack (though most of the hammer attacks did still one-shot me). It has still been a gruelling and tough fight though that took a few more hours to beat since the re-spec, but finally the way is open!

Here's the vid:

Reveal hidden contents

Also the video below was very unfortunate and had me with my head in my hands - I was sure my last hit would kill him so I hadn't mentally prepared for the alternative  :lol:

I think of ourselves as being at the same points from your posts in here, but all I'm putting points into are Vig, Endurance and Strength. Very much a swords and boards boy, and it's stomping through everything.

Just hit 90 hours, over level 100, and I've only just got the second equippable rune powered up. That feels like a really wonky economy, or I'm doing things in a very wrong order.

20 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Wow the end boss is a twat. 

Spoiler

Really soured me at the time, and still has a little. Fucking running away constantly and some real bullshit attacks. They should have made him weak in my opinion. Let the player have their credits and then they can go to the hardest area after if they missed it.

55 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ah man, just found (by clearing an area I was waaaay overpowered for) another way into the capital that allows you to avoid fighting the draconic tree sentinel.  

This fucking game :D

what?!?!

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Hide contents

Really soured me at the time, and still has a little. Fucking running away constantly and some real bullshit attacks. They should have made him weak in my opinion. Let the player have their credits and then they can go to the hardest area after if they missed it.

Spoiler

Aww, you don't like cute galaxy whale?

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't having a dig. 

The wandering is where I have found so much fun and unexpected wonder though. It's also why my progress is relatively slow - I tend to go over areas several times on multiple visits to see if anything has changed (and that has paid off handsomely in the last week) but appreciate that many don't want to retread ground just in case they see something. I randomly found a dude who had been turned into a tree the other day! Which reminds me I need to try and remember where that was as he went off to steal something for me...

I don't remember the guy outside the Caelid rune tower boss room. If it is the one I'm thinking of can't you just run past?

you can… but I want to summon and all the summon signs have been outside the room meaning I have to deal with him.  There’s no need for him.

Hey could someone give me a fairly gentle push in the right direction to get to the western / southern parts of Mt Gelmir, I'm sure I've seen a heroes grave up there from afar, and there's a castle below I want to nose about! 

Am riding around slaughtering things that earlier made me terrified, but having no luck finding my way!!

Just now, robdood said:

Yes! 

Hide contents

You can access the capital by clearing

Hide contents

deeproot depths

I dont even know where that is? I thought that Draconian was not optional.

2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I dont even know where that is? I thought that Draconian was not optional.

Well, he is! :)

DISCLAIMER - unless, for some reason, the route I just found is obstructed prior to you beating Draconian. 

8 minutes ago, scottcr said:

you can… but I want to summon and all the summon signs have been outside the room meaning I have to deal with him.  There’s no need for him.

There is an easy answer to this but I'll hold my tongue...

;)

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

Well, he is! :)

DISCLAIMER - unless, for some reason, the route I just found is obstructed prior to you beating Draconian. 

How do you end up in the capital??