IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

15 hours ago, robdood said:

I thought PS5 controllers worked on PC? Or is it that you lose out on the feedback in triggers etc? 

I think they do although I've always used my xbox controller as that is wireless rather than Bluetooth. But, yeah, also even if I use it I think I'd not get the haptics and so on that makes the PS5 controller so great. I'm not sure on that though tbf so if the full controller functionality was there I'd try the PS5 on the PC for sure...

Either way, only two months and a bit to go!

Well obviously we're supposed to read all of the descriptions of items and equipment we pick up so that we gain information about events that are devoid of any context until we find those events mentioned in other items and equipment and we remember which one of the many things we picked up mentioned the same event so that we can connect the dots.

FromSoft stories are just Phoenix Wright trials.

• 2 weeks later...

Excerpts from the Edge article do indeed sound absolutely amazing,    especially the details about exploration and how the world is designed. The thought and philosophy behind the design decisions makes it sound meticulously constructed and insanely detailed. 

Taking the week off for this.

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m getting an itch to maybe try again with From software games… I know I’m not the most talented gamer, but I really dug Bloodborne on the third attempt and got pretty far in to it (only to take a break then be utterly confused when I returned). And wasn’t a huge DS fan, just found it a bit difficult to play. 

This looks genuinely brilliant though, I think I might just fucking go for it and and overcome my fear of these games. At a glance it looks maybe a tad more accessible?

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

This looks genuinely brilliant though, I think I might just fucking go for it and and overcome my fear of these games. At a glance it looks maybe a tad more accessible?

The beta was promising - a lot of gameplay seemed lifted from Soulsbornekiro but it feels like the open world gives you lots of things to check out. There were invisible walls in the beta so we didn't see everything, but hopefully the full game will have various distractions that will appeal to different players. :) 

It will stomp on you and then everyone will tell you to git gud. This is close to a certainty as I know. I personally will have several breakdowns on this thread and really annoy a lot of people with my whining.

Getting in when everyone else is getting stomped and are about for jolly cooperation and no one knows what the hell is going on is half the fun though.

Embrace the madness, and most importantly git gud.

3 hours ago, spanx said:

So I’m getting an itch to maybe try again with From software games… I know I’m not the most talented gamer, but I really dug Bloodborne on the third attempt and got pretty far in to it (only to take a break then be utterly confused when I returned). And wasn’t a huge DS fan, just found it a bit difficult to play. 

It's the bosses that wreck people, myself included, in From games and not the general adventuring and combat. That stuff is challenging but great. But the bosses can brickwall you. None Shall Pass.

I read that Elden Ring is going to have far fewer compulsory bosses than previous From games, and I mean far fewer, and even for them you'll get both NPC and player summons to help if you need it. So the challenge will be there for those who enjoy the boss fights and no doubt some rare exotic drops will reward the patient and persistent, but for everyone else at least there will be a path of shame that doesn't involve being stuck for months.

I’ve bounced off every From game I’ve played, but I’ve never regretted having a crack at them, and have had the most exhilarating moments of success against some of their bosses (yes I’m looking at you and your hounds Capra Demon, you fuck).  

This does look amazing, I’m looking forward to doing lots of exploring, making very little progress, and eventually slinking away in abject defeat 😀

4 hours ago, spanx said:

Honestly, the 'easiest' in point is probably, dark souls 3. Start with the knight, as that is the best equipped for a starting role for a newcomer.

And realistically you could use just what you start with and get through the game just upgrading that sword!

You will want to get a bow to go with your starting gear though.

Don't bother with spells until your second play.

1 hour ago, sammy said:

I’ve bounced off every From game I’ve played, but I’ve never regretted having a crack at them, and have had the most exhilarating moments of success against some of their bosses (yes I’m looking at you and your hounds Capra Demon, you fuck).  

This does look amazing, I’m looking forward to doing lots of exploring, making very little progress, and eventually slinking away in abject defeat 😀

This mirrors my relationship with the games, and the likely outcome for my time with Elden Ring too.  But I'm still very excited to play it 😀

So I absolutely fucking despise Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Tried them all and just found them to be totally unenjoyable. I don't have the time nor the patience to play games like that.

Is Elden Ring going to be something similar and should I give it a wide berth?

5 minutes ago, Phelan said:

So I absolutely fucking despise Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Tried them all and just found them to be totally unenjoyable. I don't have the time nor the patience to play games like that.

Yes

6 hours ago, spanx said:

Yes, do it! Nobody on this forum will tell you to git gud, the souls community here are generally super nice and helpful 😍

And don't sweat the accessibility too much. You might not understand everything immediately, the only advice I can give is to read the screens / menus carefully, ask questions on here and take your time.

Most of all, don't get disheartened when you die! Know that you'll eventually destroy whatever currently blocks your progress.  Elden Ring looks way more suited to giving the player plenty of scope to 'bugger off for a bit and do something else' than the previous ones. Very useful if you're stuck at a hard fight. 

As a small anecdote, when I first played Dark Souls 1, it took me about 50-60 hours to get to the rough half way point of the game (Anor Londo, fact fans). I can make the same journey in about 1 hour these days.

With patience (and a bit of help from strangers) you'll git gud automatically.

Join usssss.

Preordering on payday, so hype! 

3 hours ago, sammy said:

I do wish and dream for a From game in the mould of Elden Ring, just without bosses. I'd bloody love that. 

I do enjoy the bosses, but the adventuring is my favourite bit. Learning the map. Where the good items are. Looking back over where I've been and realising distant landmarks are places I was walking around 10 hours ago. Coming out of a cave, into the light after hours of darkness. Feeling the satisfying sizzle of neurons in your brain connecting the pieces of the gameworld after inadvertently using a shortcut. Starting a new character, using prior knowledge to make runs for the cool items you found previously but couldn't use due to stats. Planning a character. Cooping. Invading! 

Oh god they're the absolute best games

♥️

8 hours ago, Phelan said:

Yes. Ish. A lot of the combat gameplay is lifted from those games, but the open world hints at varying challenge. Some encounters in the beta I immediately noped out of, whilst others seemed okay enough for me to take a few attempts. So the open world may at least offer alternative pursuits if you’re tired of getting owned by the same dude. However, sometimes it still felt like the difference between Hard and Go Fuck Yourself, and we only explored a small portion of the open world, so it may not be enough of a game-changer.