Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the last boss now in NG plus as a faith build. Woo wee, from Maliketh onwards, these are the first bosses in the game that really hit like absolute trucks on NG plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My inner hoarder came into conflict this evening when I noticed a new icon had appeared when I picked up a gold rune. Checked my inventory and, er... 

 

4dfc4eed-6e19-42f5-ac6e-95fc462fdb10_copy_1536x864_copy_1444x481.thumb.png.34a64cc63201bfa318730be35fc23ed0.png

 

Decided it was probably time to use at least tiers 1-3 up at that point, and promptly levelled a couple of times :blush:

 

In better news, having gotten a long way through a certain witch's questline, and murdered a lot of insects and slimes, before hitting a shadowy brick wall, I finally found the second thing I needed to activate a certain lift and push the map forwards:

 

 

Spoiler

eedca665-79b2-4590-817e-377629e16e2e_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.8b58527aaa6d82153fcf94b1a81d8eb6.png

 

 

I also found a mansion. I reacted with appropriate stoicism.

 

 

Spoiler

6932201f-704e-4ea0-86c8-400a201533c9_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.9f0584f5a81b4da75c4dd5e6f25e913b.png

 

Also I finally found some twinblades! From none to three sets in about an hour, in fact. They seem quite tasty, particularly the bleedy, fiery one; though the peeler has its own appeal.

 

In all, a successful evening. And, er, early morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally saw the end credits last night. 
I’m really pleased with the game, I honestly loved it from the beginning. 
The only thing I disliked was the final boss, especially phase two. 
Had a go on NG+ and managed to take down Margit, Godrick and the entire academy in one hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kempstar said:


What I really meant was…. Why there, and for him? (and not for me)

He will be there for you, you just haven't walked close enough to his spawn location 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have beaten Maliketh now, and am in mopping up mode before the last few bits.  Don’t want to clear the game ahead of cleaning up, as I’ll be less motivated to play more after finishing the main story.  Feeling quite sad it’s almost over.  Still finding some cool ‘secrets’! (location/boss spoilers)

Spoiler

The divine tower in Caelid that you venture down into, to face the Godskin Apostle!  I went to the tower earlier for rune activation purposes, but missed that!

And the merchant in Caria Manor!

And the caves north of the Radahn fight!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

My inner hoarder came into conflict this evening when I noticed a new icon had appeared when I picked up a gold rune. Checked my inventory and, er... 

 

4dfc4eed-6e19-42f5-ac6e-95fc462fdb10_copy_1536x864_copy_1444x481.thumb.png.34a64cc63201bfa318730be35fc23ed0.png

 

Decided it was probably time to use at least tiers 1-3 up at that point, and promptly levelled a couple of times :blush:

 

In better news, having gotten a long way through a certain witch's questline, and murdered a lot of insects and slimes, before hitting a shadowy brick wall, I finally found the second thing I needed to activate a certain lift and push the map forwards:

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

eedca665-79b2-4590-817e-377629e16e2e_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.8b58527aaa6d82153fcf94b1a81d8eb6.png

 

 

I also found a mansion. I reacted with appropriate stoicism.

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

6932201f-704e-4ea0-86c8-400a201533c9_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.9f0584f5a81b4da75c4dd5e6f25e913b.png

 

Also I finally found some twinblades! From none to three sets in about an hour, in fact. They seem quite tasty, particularly the bleedy, fiery one; though the peeler has its own appeal.

 

In all, a successful evening. And, er, early morning.


Thats a lot of DEX and END and very little VIG especially for a light load build. That’s one shot = death territory.
 

I personally would get VIG up to 40 asap, as that’s the first soft cap for it, and only level the stat requirements to hit your weapon of choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arrived at Radahn just after the unerfing patch. But he still went down. Was only annying at the start. Oh and his stupid little horse.

Went on to have FAR more trouble with some stupid death bird in the lakes 🤬.

 

Gave up in the end and went off to do some exploring instead.

 

I respecced to use the sword of night and flame and its such a different play style Im struggling a bit. Maybe thats the problem. 

Anyone have any tips for that Death Bird asshole ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They don't like Holy so if you can apply that to a weapon (by ashes of war, incantation or grease) it'll make short work of him. Otherwise just watch out for the grab attack where he pecks a big hole in your head. 

 

Spent much of yesterday evening killing dragons while finding fun places for Latenna to snipe from. Then I went back to clear out the first section of the Haligtree with the trumpet bastards. Maybe 30 deaths later I'd finally got all the loot. Never going back. Ever. 

 

I really like the summoning pools now I'm jumping around different places on the map. You never know quite where you'll end up getting summoned to.

Imagine if Halo Infinite had drop in/out coop like that and tough encounters to make use of a second spartan. You could be answering distress signals from real people and having loads of fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

 

Superb work, well done!

 

How does it feel? When I finished ER (not getting the platinum, though I do want to), I felt a bit..lost...empty...it was weird :lol:

 

I found going for the platinum was a nice epilogue. When I checked, other than the endings, I was only missing one legendary weapon and two legendary talismans from my organic playthrough already. It's amazing how much the game directs you to find important stuff without you realising, if you're willing to explore. When picking the above up I even found a whole new small area I would have missed otherwise in the process. It's terrifyingly layered at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Benny said:

 

I found going for the platinum was a nice epilogue. When I checked, other than the endings, I was only missing one legendary weapon and two legendary talismans from my organic playthrough already. It's amazing how much the game directs you to find important stuff without you realising, if you're willing to explore. When picking the above up I even found a whole new small area I would have missed otherwise in the process. It's terrifyingly layered at times.

 

Yeah I'm the same I think - one weapon, two talismans (or did I do the talismans? I can't remember now!). Then the endings, which I might save scum so I don't have to play through three times back to back...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

 

Superb work, well done!

 

How does it feel? When I finished ER (not getting the platinum, though I do want to), I felt a bit..lost...empty...it was weird :lol:

It is the first souls game I ever platinum'd/did 100 percent of achievements which is a testament to how much I enjoyed it and the accessibility. It is one of those all time greats that you feel sad leaving and other games just feel like actual shallow toys in comparison. I really had the feels last night when I did the last boss again on NGPLUS which I know is NOT a popular fight, but I fucking love it. The spectacle, the music, the pacing is otherwordly and the contrast of the fight from the start to end is awesome. Recorded it here to show my faith strategy. Was a messy fight, but I loved it. Maybe my fave in the game due to it feeling like a live fucking opera.

 

Spoiler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

They don't like Holy so if you can apply that to a weapon (by ashes of war, incantation or grease) it'll make short work of him. Otherwise just watch out for the grab attack where he pecks a big hole in your head. 

 

Spent much of yesterday evening killing dragons while finding fun places for Latenna to snipe from. Then I went back to clear out the first section of the Haligtree with the trumpet bastards. Maybe 30 deaths later I'd finally got all the loot. Never going back. Ever. 

 

I really like the summoning pools now I'm jumping around different places on the map. You never know quite where you'll end up getting summoned to.

Imagine if Halo Infinite had drop in/out coop like that and tough encounters to make use of a second spartan. You could be answering distress signals from real people and having loads of fun.

Souls games have absolutely the best multiplayer. I'd love to play other games with this mechanic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally Completed this. I will miss the game having put over 200 hours in, although I may continue my journey again sometime with a different build.

My only complaints are I would like to have seen graphics on the level of Demon Souls PS5, and I found some of the boss repetition and mechanics a bit disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:


Thats a lot of DEX and END and very little VIG especially for a light load build. That’s one shot = death territory.
 

I personally would get VIG up to 40 asap, as that’s the first soft cap for it, and only level the stat requirements to hit your weapon of choice. 

 

That statline is already me having shown willing following Moz's comments about too little vigor, and having bumped it up significantly! It's just such an unsatisfying statline to boost :(

 

(I will admit that I liked it not very much when inverted Miriam and her entourage were instakilling me any time I made a single mistake. I like to think of that experience as character building)

 

I can probably spare the dex a bit now, particularly as I've finally found a fancy (somber-stone) weapon that I actually like, and it only scales at C even having levelled it to +7 (vs my keen Katana's A-scaling). Though I do want to level ARC some more now so that I no longer need to wear The Ugliest Mask in order to wield said weapon, so maybe I'll hold off on vigor for a little longer. And I could always have yet more END, and thus be able to do exciting things like Wear Proper Armour,* or maybe even Have An Emergency Shield Equipped in the second slot... 

 

 

*probably not, tbh, it would ruin my look

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm disappointed in all the people obsessed with telling people off for having low vigor. If anything it'll just encourage you to "git gud" at dodging everything. High risk, high reward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last boss talk:

 

Spoiler

I'm surprised by the number of people who didn't get on with the final boss. It's essentially just a dragon fight, isn't it? It's what all the other dragon fights in the game were training you for. 

 

My big dumb strength build didn't have any problem with it, just ran up and twatted it with my big swords, while rolling through the swipes and slams and running away from the lightning and fire. And a combination of running away from and rolling through those homing golden magic attacks.

 

Pretty much the same tactics as any other dragon fight. I can see how someone could have problems with it if they hadn't fought many previous dragons, or had only fought them on horseback, because fighting them on foot is a very different proposition. Or if their VIG was too low. In previous Souls games I would rarely level VIG above about 20, but in Elden Ring 40 is the bare minimum for end game stuff, or absolutely everything will one shot you. Personally, I had 50 VIG first time I got there, so maybe the people who struggled had much less than that.

 

I think it's a great fight, visually stunning, mechanically challenging but familiar, due to the many dragon fights. And I like the lore implications, in that it appears that it is some being from the deep cosmos and it came to the world and took control, and it's body shape kind of imprinted itself into the life of the world and created the dragons. Or at least that's how I see it. Could be bollocks, obviously.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last boss talk:

 

Spoiler

As with Sekiro, it was the back-to-back that I found annoying. Like, I know the idea is that you should be able to steamroll through RotGO but it’s still long enough to take you out of the moment.

 

EB seemed more do-able when I just got in and pushed to be more aggressive even when common sense told me to back off, but some of those holy attacks were still a pain when pursuing a melee strat…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I woke up this morning the first thing that sprung to mind was that I completed my first playthrough of Elden Ring last night. It was a good feeling at first but then it started to dawn on me that I no longer feel the same drive to play the game as before hitting the end of game credits. I basically rinsed the game and killed all major bosses, at least all who give you a trophy for killing them. I'm sure there's a couple of the minor bosses I've not found yet and I might find them some day but for the time being I'm sat here wondering wether to focus on another playthrough straight away or let it rest for a while as I discover other games. 

The thing is, though, is that Elden Ring has made the urge to play any other game rather minimal, I still want to explore The Land Between but there's next to nothing new to explore :(

 

Tried Horizon Forbidden West for a few hours and I kinda regret not playing it before Elden Ring as it now strikes me as a rather uninspiring Ubi style open worlder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rayn said:

When I woke up this morning the first thing that sprung to mind was that I completed my first playthrough of Elden Ring last night. It was a good feeling at first but then it started to dawn on me that I no longer feel the same drive to play the game as before hitting the end of game credits. I basically rinsed the game and killed all major bosses, at least all who give you a trophy for killing them. I'm sure there's a couple of the minor bosses I've not found yet and I might find them some day but for the time being I'm sat here wondering wether to focus on another playthrough straight away or let it rest for a while as I discover other games. 

The thing is, though, is that Elden Ring has made the urge to play any other game rather minimal, I still want to explore The Land Between but there's next to nothing new to explore :(

 

Tried Horizon Forbidden West for a few hours and I kinda regret not playing it before Elden Ring as it now strikes me as a rather uninspiring Ubi style open worlder. 

 

Yup. I really feel there's a post-Elden Ring gaming landscape and I'm kind of fearful for it, because most big publisher games are suddenly... dull.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since completing it, I've been getting the other endings in NG+ runs (well, one of the other endings so far), but doing the minimum required to get each ending, and nothing else. Using guides.

 

I think it will be a long time before I do a full "explore the entirety of the Lands Between" run again. For the time being I'll be content with doing runs focussed on a particular NPC questline or ending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've started to skim a few "12 things you might have missed in..." type videos, as once I've finished the game I'll be gorging on guides anyway, and I'm nearly there. 

 

Wow. There's so much. Some minor examples:

 

Raya Lucaria:

 

Spoiler

I'd missed the ENTIRE rooftops area. From the Debating Parlor, out into the big courtyard, up the crumbled stairs, hang a left, jump over the railings and...huge rooftop area I'd not previously explored. Got a sweet crossbow and some hats.

 

And on the outskirts of Raya Lucaria:

 

Spoiler

A crystal cave to the west of the land mass that the academy is on, near the Crystal Woods, which takes you under the academy, and then up a huge tower you can't otherwise access.

 

Limgrave:

Spoiler

Specifically at Warmaster's Shack:

 

Spoiler

There's a fucking boss/invader who spawns at night, if you rest at the grace. Gave me a Bell Bearing.

 

 

Stormveil Castle:

 

Spoiler

So that's where Kenneth, Nepheli, and Gostoc end up! Literally would never have set foot in this area again.

 

And one I stumbled across myself. The Capital:

 

Spoiler

It's all ashy after the business at the Giant Forge! I wonder what else has changed?

 

I feel like unpicking all the secrets in this game oneself would be practically impossible, and/or months of work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm disappointed in all the people obsessed with telling people off for having low vigor. If anything it'll just encourage you to "git gud" at dodging everything. High risk, high reward.

 

I think it comes from a kind place; to help people avoid frustration because they've neglected a key stat, rather than getting locked into a build that necessitates grinding to get past a roadblock. At least I'm aware that I'm a little under-healthed, should the capital or manor become too much for me; it's nice to have an obvious thing to work on! 

 

(of course, with all the respecs available it's less of an issue to respec one's character of things become untenable; if anything, the real locking comes from weapon upgrades — the game seems weirdly awash with upgrade materials for legendary weapons, but I've only found enough 'normal' smithing stones to get one weapon to +11 and two others to +6 (one of which my off-hand weapon, so in reality only two combat styles enabled); if I want to experiment with a new weapon type I'll be stuck at very low damage output :( . Hopefully a decent place to find smithing stones 2, 3 and 4 will present itself at some point)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.