Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

3 minutes ago, smac said:

Oh, so I wander down into the swamp area next to the start. There's some fire on a low circle of dry ground with a bunch of relatively wimpy looking NPCs around it; I had spotted it the night before from up on the cliff above.

I approach carefully...

Hide contents

A massive dragon lands on the mound and splats me!

A FUCKING DRAGON!!! A couple of dozen yards from the starting point! No warning, no nothing, just 'A massive dragon swoops down and lands. You are dead'.

This DM is a sadist...

Welcome to Elden Ring

7 minutes ago, smac said:

Oh, so I wander down into the swamp area next to the start. There's some fire on a low circle of dry ground with a bunch of relatively wimpy looking NPCs around it; I had spotted it the night before from up on the cliff above.

I approach carefully...

Hide contents

A FUCKING DRAGON!!! A couple of dozen yards from the starting point! No warning, no nothing, just 'A massive dragon swoops down and lands. You are dead'.

This DM is a sadist...

This and a bunch of problems with controls and a general dislike of the feel of the physics is why i refunded it initially.

But I must admit Im a convert now.. Even though there are sessions I rage quit , I just as often come out feeling amazing and desperate to get back to The Lands between.

15 minutes ago, smac said:

I approach carefully...

Hide contents

This DM is a sadist...

Heh, exactly what happened to me... Tried to take on knighty boy, got creamed, so decided to sneak past him and...

24 minutes ago, smac said:

I approach carefully...

Hide contents

This DM is a sadist...

To be fair, the game does give you a massive clue it's about to happen

Spoiler

The area is called something like 'Dragonburnt Ruins'.  You get to learn to pick up on things like that in a Souls game.

(although in an open world game the exact direction to travel in is not completely fixed)

14 hours ago, Kzo said:

Many, many times while playing my way through the various soulsborne games I've been stuck on a boss, repeatedly failing attempts late into the night before finally giving up. 

Then I load up the next day and do it first go without much bother. It's really odd and a lot of people seem to go through the same thing. 

And guess what? 

I FUCKING DID IT!!!

Spoiler

No idea how I survived at the 02:37 mark. Must have just nommed the preserving bolus in time! 

Absolutely shaking when I beat her. Sheer panic spamming with an empty stamina bar at the end! :lol:

The key to victory seemed to be a combination of pressing hard with Rivers of Blood in phase 1, using the L2 Corpse Piler while FP allowed, in order to finish that phase ASAP. That kept my Mimic alive, and most of my flasks unused. Then running to the right to avoid the initial AoE of phase 2 (which often killed me outright) and keeping my distance for the rest of the fight so that the mimic drew all the aggro. 

Plus, frankly, a lot of luck. This was about my 30th attempt today, and for many of those attempts things just didn’t pan out. She’d go for me with Waterfowl instead of the mimic, or our attacks just wouldn’t line up. On this attempt there were several serendipitous moments, such as the mimic hitting her with a freeze pot just as my stamina ran out, or just things like the AI deciding to back her into a wall, so we could both wail on her.

Feels like such a relief honestly. Thanks for all the tips! The one about equipping the Uplifting Aromatic and Freeze Pots so that one’s Mimic uses them especially! 

33 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

To be fair, the game does give you a massive clue it's about to happen

Reveal hidden contents

The area is called something like 'Dragonburnt Ruins'.  You get to learn to pick up on things like that in a Souls game.

(although in an open world game the exact direction to travel in is not completely fixed)

I only saw that when I respawned afterwards, at the nearby stake.

Anyhoo, I've now been eaten by rats in the same area - I think I'll leave the dragon for now; I need to git gud and level up a bit.

I may not speak for everyone here, but you'll be pleased to know that I at least rate rats amongst the worst standard enemies to deal with even now, 50 hours or so into the game. No shame in being nibbled to death by the little bastards! 

On 04/04/2022 at 12:24, Alan Stock said:

Here's the boss I struggled with the most so far, I did this the other week and was determined to see if I could do it with just hits and rolls. Very tough, some of his attacks one-shot me and the dodge roll timings are insane. For me the main problem was just keeping consistency and concentration for the long fight. The terrain also puts a twist on things, get stuck in a hole and it's bad times! 

Capital Outskirts spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Margit returns! Because I did Margit at the start of the game with summons and used the special item, I felt I'd kind of missed some of the nuances of the fight and move-set. For this rematch though, I had to know everything. Although you can't see in my video, most of his big swings either one-shot me or take off most of my health bar, which is why I'm desperately trying to heal to full where I can. In particular the phase 2 combos with the golden weapons are certain death if you get hit with them, whereas phase 1 is more attrition where you're trying to minimise mistakes so you have more healing for phase 2.

Polygon did an interesting video about what makes Margit hard and watching that made me appreciate that he's a bastard, but a very well thought out and designed bastard. Here's the Polygon vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ 

And here's my fight, it ended up taking around 8 hours to beat with this setup over two days. It was another tense final battle! If you want to see me getting splatted go earlier in the video! As ever, my stats and equipment are shown at the end.

(just catching up with the thread after a little while away from the forum but...) Really enjoyed this one Alan! Thought you were going to go no damage at one point near the start. Still can't believe your Vigor stat :)

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I may not speak for everyone here, but you'll be pleased to know that I at least rate rats amongst the worst standard enemies to deal with even now, 50 hours or so into the game. No shame in being nibbled to death by the little bastards! 

That makes me feel better. A little.

11 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Beast Repellent torch! Never fight the little shits ever again :)

I think my Ranni quest is bugged out. It took about 15 visits to get her to appear i nthe tower, then i met her wixazard guy who sent me off to seek S***** out. When i found that person they don't offer any quest specific dialogue at all, no matter what i do. Gutted as people seem to say it's a great questline.

It's also mad that i had managed to miss that location until the quest took me there. I was convinced that region couldn't show me anything new by now. What. A. Game.

On 01/04/2022 at 21:48, Curtis said:

I'm back for more! This time with a new build. And after 3 hours played i'm very happy with my DS2 Faaram Knight cosplay.

FPSSZ79XwAQQ5IX.thumb.jpg.bf6218f6a79d6ce76f906d63c7540544.jpg

Death's Poker+9, which has absurd damage this early, all thanks to ymfah and his 'break the game' series of Youtube videos which i admire and adore, especially when you just wanna have some OP fun on a Friday night.

Haha snap, Sir Curtis! Excellent taste. I was rocking a very similar style for most of my first 100 hours or so!

image.png.b7cf9266a16c886bd065c1649c52a4d0.png

On 27/03/2022 at 18:37, Number 28 said:

I'm also on the Malenia fight and it feels like at this point there's no 'go away to explore and get stronger' option, which sucks really. Plus like @Minion says, the fight feels like it's full of bullshit that's really difficult to learn. I'm not sure I can crack it. If I'm honest I'd say a lot of bosses in this don't feel particularly great to fight which I think is possibly a balance issue. Like they've accounted for the fact you can summon spirits by making the bosses incredibly agile with infinitesimally small windows to attack. It's possible I'm just average as hell when it comes to these games, but I've seen souls veterans on Twitch get totally stumped trying to beat late bosses the traditional way. It's also like there comes a point when your build, whatever it is, goes from dominating absolutely everything to feeling weak as hell without much recourse bar a respec and to grind a lot more. I dunno, I've mostly loved the game, but it sours things a little.

As for my own progress, I'm kind of at this point. Melania is soooo rough for me. I think I read Shark say she really punishes defensive builds which is how I've played the whole entire game so far! (my favourite item is the Golden Greatshield which is just an insane defensive tool against 95% of everything in the game after I started using it) It's been fun guard countering stuff. But I've had to unequip my shield (very sad) for Melania and really *really* try and learn her attacks.

I've spent a good couple of hours on it so far and here's my best attempt: (don't think the thumbnail is too much of a spoiler)

It's essentially me fighting her for 10 minutes in phase 1 and slowly whittling her down only for her to heal with her waterfowl dance because I've not faced it enough times to recognise it and git good at it yet.

I felt like I didn't get too bad at dodging her stuff. The main difficulty was in training myself to NOT roll backward but instead forward for the mini dash forward combo - and then not knowing which move she was going to transition into at the end of it (as you can see it still gets me a fair bit). I guess I'm not doing enough damage? I've watched some of your ridiculous videos with bleed and katanas and stuff - feels like watching a different game! Has my treasured and trusty +25 Longsword just reached a point of uselessness here? I have a Heavy affinity on it with 60 Strength. But the chip style damage with her healing feels pretty demoralising after a point.

I'd rather not respec for her I think, but it feels like I might have to, to an extent? I actually didn't really mind trying to learn the fight for a couple of hours, but it feels very much like I don't have the skill to do it like this at the end of the day. Or it would literally take 10-20 hours for one fight. Which I don't reeeally think I'm up for (unless I am?? :)).

Still absolutely loving it overall though! It's such a vast, brilliant, mind-blowing, harshly punishing, deeply rewarding, all consuming, adventure. Peak video games :wub:

17 minutes ago, joemul said:

I think my Ranni quest is bugged out. It took about 15 visits to get her to appear i nthe tower, then i met her wixazard guy who sent me off to seek S***** out. When i found that person they don't offer any quest specific dialogue at all, no matter what i do. Gutted as people seem to say it's a great questline.

Happened to me, but after finishing Ranni's questline I was able to do the one you refer to.

Basically the wizard guy is a different questline, I believe. 

Spoiler

When I'd finished Ranni's quest, he was dead. I was then able to pick up Sellen's quest.

The next thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is find Blaidd.

I did Ranni’s entire quest line from start to finish yesterday. Multiple bosses, new environments etc. a really great king session. But no idea how the player is meant to figure things out by themselves sometimes. Maybe it’s time for Fromsoft to add a very Fromsofty questlog somewhere. Wish I’d kept a notebook as I played!

Funnily, while I'm sure I've missed questlines and characters wholesale (e.g. I know from this thread I missed a witch at the very start of the game because I didn't rest somewhere at night! No idea of that spoiled a questline, or just delayed my access to/understanding of summons, though), the Ranni questline is the only one I've been able to easily follow* to the near-end** thanks to everyone being very talkative and helpful! In vague summary, I was directed thus: 

Spoiler

A spellblade directed me to Ranni, Ranni to her advisors, her advisors to a witch, the witch to a boss, the boss to a hole in the ground, the hole to a doll***, the doll to a shadow.

I thought it made for a pleasingly straightforward break from the norm, which otherwise seems to be "meet a character, then hope you bump into them again by being in the right place at the right time by pure happenstance"!

*unless we count D's rather short one... 

**I assume, at least: I've been tasked with killing a certain shadow who's a tad beyond me

***talking to which being the one thing I could have missed, if the area weren't deadly and thus leading me to rest up

@John0 you're doing really well avoiding her attacks but as you say it take too long doing it that way. She's more like a Sekiro boss in that you can't let her dictate the fight, you need to get up in her grill and smash the crap out of her. Is there a reason you are keeping the shield on your back does it have a buff? You could try dual weilding swords instead? Also you aren't using spirit summons which is cool if you don't want to but there's no shame in doing so. Good luck she is tough for sure!

46 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Happened to me, but after finishing Ranni's questline I was able to do the one you refer to.

Basically the wizard guy is a different questline, I believe. 

Hide contents

When I'd finished Ranni's quest, he was dead. I was then able to pick up Sellen's quest.

The next thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is find Blaidd.

I'll need to check - i've already beaten Radahn so i think that might make a difference?

I've been exploring the snowy place because my Grace Sites looked a little sparse up there and I've found another new area to explore.

Got to the boss, M****** and BAM!  He went down first time.

Very happy with that.  I've given up on the other sibling for now so I'm forging ahead to R & EB.  R has been defeated once so I just need to work on the second half.

22 minutes ago, Minion said:

@John0 you're doing really well avoiding her attacks but as you say it take too long doing it that way. She's more like a Sekiro boss in that you can't let her dictate the fight, you need to get up in her grill and smash the crap out of her. Is there a reason you are keeping the shield on your back does it have a buff? You could try dual weilding swords instead? Also you aren't using spirit summons which is cool if you don't want to but there's no shame in doing so. Good luck she is tough for sure!

The shield is there to block the first flurry of the waterfowl.. it seems like that bit is hard to dodge if you are too close to her when she starts winding it up. But honestly swapping to it from double handed is not easy to do quickly, so yeah I think duel wield and then just tap left on the d-pad to switch might be easier. Hadn't thought of that until I watched people duel wield vs her to be honest.

The bell summons.. I have a vague and not particularly strict "trying not to use it in 1v1 fights" rule as long as there's an easy bonfire run or no major BS. I did actually try it a couple of times though (because obviously this was going to take ages to 1v1!) and to be honest it was just free healing for her :lol:. So I gave up on that. But have since seen people just go pure aggro with a fully powered up mimic and that seems effective. To be honest aside from once or twice I've only really used the jellyfish summon as I like that it does no damage and is just there as a distraction. So I wasn't really clued up on how to set the mimic up.. but have caught up on the thread now.

I would love to just stick with my longsword but it seems that might not be viable for me within a realistic timeframe and without getting too frustrated. I dunno. I'll have a ponder on what to do, there's still other areas and bosses so can get on with other things in the meantime. Maybe 2x longswords??

59 minutes ago, John0 said:

I've watched some of your ridiculous videos with bleed and katanas and stuff - feels like watching a different game! Has my treasured and trusty +25 Longsword just reached a point of uselessness here? I have a Heavy affinity on it with 60 Strength. But the chip style damage with her healing feels pretty demoralising after a point.

I'd rather not respec for her I think, but it feels like I might have to, to an extent? 

The way I see it is that I'm super glad the game lets you respec. I was a similar build to you, Strength at 50 something with a +23 Heavy Zweihander. I'm sure it's possible to patiently learn to dodge roll each attack, and no doubt the SL1 guys can do it with bare fists and a pair of Samba di Amigo maracas, but the game gave me a different set of tools, and I'm glad as fuck that I used them. As a huge plus, I'm loving being a fast hitting Dex/Arcane build for a bit, and I still have so many Larval Tears that if I feel sad about leaving my previous build behind I can always respec again (I took a screenshot of my stats).

In fact, I almost wonder if this boss is in the game purely to teach people about the Respec feature.

More progress in my solo no shield run, including a few fights I’m quite happy with:

Morgott: This one was actually really fun, I’m quite proud of the sequence of rolls and attacks early on. Fun fight to solo, he’s actually got some pretty big windows to hit him. 

Spoiler

Fell Twins: This one is pretty easy, the second guy seems to hold off a lot until you’re beaten the first. The only tough bit is the dark area being a bit confusing.

Spoiler

Godskin Noble: The only really tough thing here is the roll, but you can just stand with a pillar between the two of you to stop it from hurting you. 

Spoiler

Fire Giant: Also really pleased with this. Got the first half down pretty well, though I feel like the second half becomes kind of a mess of AOE attacks. He’s huge as well, which makes reading him hard but the dodge windows are pretty generous.

Spoiler

On to the Godskin Duo now, and wow they’re really tough on your own. 

Tonight I'm hanging out at Leyndell, after clearing Farum Azula.. 

Cooping against

Spoiler

Godfrey, after beating him first try. 

Am looking pretty dope tbf. 

image.thumb.png.909214b44cf800fc14497f45973ea2d2.png

Trying out some arcane incantations, since I have high Arc stat and the dragon seal + 9..  Them flies are pretty great!  Next goal is to grind out some levels to use the dragon incants.. oh yeah! 

Having said that, this is a tough boss for others, out of about 15 tries so far this evening only two have been successful!