Jump to content
IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes


Broker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Maliketh caused me no end of issues, absolutely brutal fight. First boss in a long time I died to, and did it repeatedly. Luckily managed to summon someone who died, but did enough damage and aggro to allow me to finish the job. Still tense as anything though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:


Yeah, I was there last night, the map didn’t show that area so I noped out. 
 

That whole area was horrible, was happy to get tae fuck. 

 

You can cheese the big enemy in that area with poison arrows, but you have to clear out the mob first.

 

If anyone managed to get up there first, how did you survive without being smashed flat by that projectile attack?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Distortion2 just got a 9:55 run, which is his first sub 10, though he seems to think the current record is 9:31. Can’t find that online though, maybe tomorrow. He thinks the new route could go as low as 7 minutes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Distortion2 just got a 9:55 run, which is his first sub 10, though he seems to think the current record is 9:31. Can’t find that online though, maybe tomorrow. He thinks the new route could go as low as 7 minutes. 

At this rate, we'll see a run where the credits hit before seeing the windows log in screen on PC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta be honest, I've got no interest in those 'speedruns'  that are just exploits.

All bosses no glitch yeah.

But I prefer lobos Jr's challenge runs, as they are more interesting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying seeing the times tumble to such crazy levels, reminds me of the old morrowind speed runs. 

 

Only had a quick go last night and kept bashing my face against one of the most annoying bosses so far, Astel. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I'm assuming most just breezed by it, but it's one of those bosses can avoid it's attacks easily enough at distance but can't get in to do damage. When I do, I just keep missing.

My summon just stands there like a plonker not knowing what to do as well. 

 

I'm sure I'll do it, but its not an enjoyable fight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I'm enjoying seeing the times tumble to such crazy levels, reminds me of the old morrowind speed runs. 

 

Only had a quick go last night and kept bashing my face against one of the most annoying bosses so far, Astel. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I'm assuming most just breezed by it, but it's one of those bosses can avoid it's attacks easily enough at distance but can't get in to do damage. When I do, I just keep missing.

My summon just stands there like a plonker not knowing what to do as well. 

 

I'm sure I'll do it, but its not an enjoyable fight. 

I'm with you on that, feels like you should be able to summon Torrent for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed exploring the capital much more than Volcano Manor - went down into the sewers for a bit but everything is just super strong and horrible there, so I noped out after opening up the cheeky shortcut at the underground roadside grace and carried on up to the snowy giants area.  

 

Something else annoying that folks mentioned earlier - baddies you've seen before becoming inexplicably much more powerful.  The cat/rat things in the sewers or the wee 'vuglar' jumping guys.  I saw a gang of a few of them on the way to the giants bit and thought 'ha - I'll twat these all quickly and get on with it'.  Oooft.  After a lot longer and more damaging fight than I ever expected, I just got on torrent and bolted all the way through that area to the next grace at the big lift.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/04/2022 at 14:19, Davros sock drawer said:

Killed Mohg (the proper one) first time just now. I really feel like nothing in this game comes close to Malenia for sheer cuntery.

 

She's definitely a gussied up Sekiro boss from the edit room floor.
 

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The artwork in this game is exquisite. The paintings hanging everywhere, depictions of the erdtree and recurring motifs, the beautiful portraits, the intricacy of the engravings and the details everywhere, furniture, furnishings, the interior designs, the amount of work gone into this is staggering. If you take the time to really look around with the torch and imagine the amount of time it took to create all this, it's just overwhelming. Totally beyond my comprehension how all of this was imagined, planned, designed, project managed and put together whilst maintaining this level of consistency and detail. Absolutely mind blowing.


It truly is. Newcomers to Souls games won't realise that virtually every object is placed with care and attention. I bet if you count the chairs in volcano manor it equates to the correct number of characters from a lore rogue's gallery I haven't even noticed. As Vaati and his ilk start to piece the story together, the exquisite care and attention to detail starts to reveal itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The artwork in this game is exquisite. The paintings hanging everywhere, depictions of the erdtree and recurring motifs, the beautiful portraits, the intricacy of the engravings and the details everywhere, furniture, furnishings, the interior designs, the amount of work gone into this is staggering. If you take the time to really look around with the torch and imagine the amount of time it took to create all this, it's just overwhelming. Totally beyond my comprehension how all of this was imagined, planned, designed, project managed and put together whilst maintaining this level of consistency and detail. Absolutely mind blowing.

 

I'm definitely interested in a big coffee table lore/art book for this - absolutely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn't come in leagues of even an average Sekiro boss for difficulty. You don't have anywhere near the same scope for finding external solutions or approaches, if at all, with those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a proper legacy dungeon, or meaty location in Caelid?  I've been pottering about there and found a few small locations, done Radahn, etc., but there doesn't seem any obvious big place to aim for.  I braced myself for the Sorcery town place to be quite big inside once I opened the sealed doors, but I was disappointed that it was only a couple of chests and an easy boss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there a proper legacy dungeon, or meaty location in Caelid?  I've been pottering about there and found a few small locations, done Radahn, etc., but there doesn't seem any obvious big place to aim for.  I braced myself for the Sorcery town place to be quite big inside once I opened the sealed doors, but I was disappointed that it was only a couple of chests and an easy boss.

 

Don't think so 

 

After getting over the original 'ooooft' when stepping out of the mines when I was teleported there, I don't think it's that interesting an area.   So far, I reckon Limgrave is still the most interesting and enjoyable of the open areas to explore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there a proper legacy dungeon, or meaty location in Caelid?  I've been pottering about there and found a few small locations, done Radahn, etc., but there doesn't seem any obvious big place to aim for.  I braced myself for the Sorcery town place to be quite big inside once I opened the sealed doors, but I was disappointed that it was only a couple of chests and an easy boss.

 

If you've done Radahn

 

Spoiler

Try going back into that castle again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there a proper legacy dungeon, or meaty location in Caelid?  I've been pottering about there and found a few small locations, done Radahn, etc., but there doesn't seem any obvious big place to aim for.  

 

Only Redmane which you've already seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Benny said:

Doesn't come in leagues of even an average Sekiro boss for difficulty. You don't have anywhere near the same scope for finding external solutions or approaches, if at all, with those.

 

No, that's why I said gussied up. Her moveset and vibe, especially for the first phase, seem straight out of Sekiro, but made easier (ish) thanks to it not being Sekiro. Her patterns seem more deliberate and precise than most, as if designed for Sekiro's block/parry system. Tap Tap Tap. Tap. Tap Tap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I found Mohg. Thought ooh I may be in trouble here once he casts a few of those blood circle spells on you. I was right for the first 2 attempts. 

 

Then I realised if you don't give him a second in phase 2 and after a crit then he's toast. 

 

Astel is giving me problems too btw.  Can't work out how to get to Malenia mind. 

 

It's something to do with that abandoned village in the snowfield. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Moz said:

 

No, that's why I said gussied up. Her moveset and vibe, especially for the first phase, seem straight out of Sekiro, but made easier (ish) thanks to it not being Sekiro. Her patterns seem more deliberate and precise than most, as if designed for Sekiro's block/parry system. Tap Tap Tap. Tap. Tap Tap.

 

That's possible, she certainly had the vibe of that kind of boss. Personally I loved the fight - I always want From to surprise me with any optional encounters, and it inspired me to head back to Sekiro after.

 

(Of course I ended up playing a Shadow of the Tomb Raider because what's wrong with me etc)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just beat the last boss, sadface.  

The final bosses were pretty easy I thought - they all went down first time.  Then again I was a bit overleveled at 165.

Haven't rolled the ending yet though!  Need to check into what else I have missed.  I have all the talismans, so I'm now in weapon collector mode for a little while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Any tips for killing baddies who constantly roll out of the way of your spells? I had to use a sword to top Big Tongue Arthur or whatever his name is which didn't feel very magician'y

 

Sorcery type magic rather than faith? If so

 

Spoiler

Night Comet from Sellia, Town of Sorcery. It's semi-invisible which means they won't even try and dodge it. They'll just get wrecked.

 

It almost feels unfair.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m now 85 hours into this, it’s pretty astonishing, I’m playing an all time great.

 I’ve only defeated 2 cut scene bosses and taken something to a divine tower and done some stuff in the hold so I’ve got a long way to go.

I feel sorry for the Fools who watch streams of this before playing it, who consult guides online or finish the entire thing in a week.

 Special games don’t come around that often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Quest said:

I started this today. The point of the game is to run away from everything scary, right?

 

 

 

The point of the game seems to be roll into rather than run away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Only had a quick go last night and kept bashing my face against one of the most annoying bosses so far, Astel. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so I'm assuming most just breezed by it, but it's one of those bosses can avoid it's attacks easily enough at distance but can't get in to do damage. When I do, I just keep missing.

My summon just stands there like a plonker not knowing what to do as well. 

 

I'm sure I'll do it, but its not an enjoyable fight. 

 

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

I'm with you on that, feels like you should be able to summon Torrent for it.

 

:quote:

 

On 09/04/2022 at 00:30, Wiper said:

In other news, met an Astel. On my second attempt, came oh so close to victory: 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

97e4fd0e-42be-43f8-b0a0-7511c0625064_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.30607417e17929faf76f14df47252bab.png

 

 

 

Of course I then proceeded to get smashed repeatedly after that without getting anywhere near. Being a one-hit kill to any of its grabs and/or its levitation attack didn't help! Took another twenty minutes (which was probably about twenty goes, the speed I was dying at...) to finally get there: 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

7f2a6530-0d97-435f-88e2-4c97d28a29f5_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.9048f3dd4b99cd76284de332ff2f60c7.png

 

Carried on a bit further, and now I'm Ranni's consort, hurrah! I have to assume that's the end of her questline.

 

Stats immediately after that victory, in case anyone wants to remind me that I need more vigor ;)

 

11f2e6bc-c1fd-4be0-b2a1-906c468f2b97_copy_1536x864.thumb.png.28e6256b0e860e2407003b8d2ecec19f.png

 

With regards beating them — if you're managing to dodge their attacks reliably, you should be most of the way there! I was dealing decent damage with my twinblade (slashing/fire combo), as might be hoped of a DPS dex/arcane build, so I don't know if that's an issue for you.

 

In terms of tactics, though:

Spoiler

I found it to be a boss that rewards patience rather than aggression — some attacks you need to back away from, but whenever a punishable attack happens you can reliably get a single jumping attack in against the head. Just get that one in, then back off and wait for your next opening - no point risking a chain when it might miss/Astel might follow up with something deadly.

 

Attacks that are safe to punish: 

 

Either of the "fist of orbs" attacks. Dodge forwards as it swipes and you'll both avoid the attack and the follow up explosions. You can actually get a chain in here if you're feeling brave and have the stamina to spare, but a jump attack will give you time to recover enough stamina to run away should Astel follow up with the expanding rings of death or levitation attack.

Any of Astel's attempted bites/grabs. Obviously you're fucked if they connect (certainly they instakilled me), but if they miss you've a guaranteed safe follow up.

 

Technically, all of Astel's attacks are punishable, but those ones are easier to avoid (a single dodge required) and naturally have you close enough to attack; others require multiple dodges and/or are easier to just outrun, so I'd favour outright avoiding them.

 

Incidentally, if anyone can advise me how to get into the sodding capital, that'd be appreciated. I just can't find an entrance :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wiper said:

 

 

:quote:

 

 

With regards beating them — if you're managing to dodge their attacks reliably, you should be most of the way there! I was dealing decent damage with my twinblade (slashing/fire combo), as might be hoped of a DPS dex/arcane build, so I don't know if that's an issue for you.

 

In terms of tactics, though:

  Hide contents

I found it to be a boss that rewards patience rather than aggression — some attacks you need to back away from, but whenever a punishable attack happens you can reliably get a single jumping attack in against the head. Just get that one in, then back off and wait for your next opening - no point risking a chain when it might miss/Astel might follow up with something deadly.

 

Attacks that are safe to punish: 

 

Either of the "fist of orbs" attacks. Dodge forwards as it swipes and you'll both avoid the attack and the follow up explosions. You can actually get a chain in here if you're feeling brave and have the stamina to spare, but a jump attack will give you time to recover enough stamina to run away should Astel follow up with the expanding rings of death or levitation attack.

Any of Astel's attempted bites/grabs. Obviously you're fucked if they connect (certainly they instakilled me), but if they miss you've a guaranteed safe follow up.

 

Technically, all of Astel's attacks are punishable, but those ones are easier to avoid (a single dodge required) and naturally have you close enough to attack; others require multiple dodges and/or are easier to just outrun, so I'd favour outright avoiding them.

 

Incidentally, if anyone can advise me how to get into the sodding capital, that'd be appreciated. I just can't find an entrance :(

 

There's a door in the north west of the outer wall, past a few fire giants. It's protected though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I’m now 85 hours into this, it’s pretty astonishing, I’m playing an all time great.

 I’ve only defeated 2 cut scene bosses and taken something to a divine tower and done some stuff in the hold so I’ve got a long way to go.

I feel sorry for the Fools who watch streams of this before playing it, who consult guides online or finish the entire thing in a week.

 Special games don’t come around that often.

 

unless you take copious notes, which isn't a normal gaming activity nowadays - I don't see how some bits this game are possible to know what to do next for normal gamers without using a guide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.