IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there a proper legacy dungeon, or meaty location in Caelid?  I've been pottering about there and found a few small locations, done Radahn, etc., but there doesn't seem any obvious big place to aim for.  I braced myself for the Sorcery town place to be quite big inside once I opened the sealed doors, but I was disappointed that it was only a couple of chests and an easy boss.

There is a catacomb to the far north/north east of the desert area you fight Radahn but I got the grace and fled because I've lost so many runes to killer imps, skeles and traps.

I also hate those giant metal homing balls with a passion, the bastards.

And do more art!

I’ve reached the Snowfield area, convinced it’s the final furlong.  Checked the general walkthrough/progression on Fextralife and oh my god there’s soo much more to do.

I think I agree with others who seem to say the back end is a bit too grindy for its own good?  Most encounters are fairly tough, and not quite as enjoyable as the preceding 100 hours

(“only” 100 hours of quality gameplay :D )

but still, it’s GOTY innit

Just now, Stoikovich said:

I’ve reached the Snowfield area, convinced it’s the final furlong.  Checked the general walkthrough/progression on Fextralife and oh my god there’s soo much more to do.

I think I agree with others who seem to say the back end is a bit too grindy for its own good?  Most encounters are fairly tough, and not quite as enjoyable as the preceding 100 hours (“only” 100 hours of quality gameplay :D )

The consecrated snowfield is entirely optional, if that helps.

Placcysnackxxx down. I love casually walking around 

Spoiler

Ancient dragon lords, tossing big handfuls of flies at them. I was literally just chanting ,'Come on flies, fucking have him!' at my television.

Probably best to take a break.

29 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The consecrated snowfield is entirely optional, if that helps.

Yeah, thanks, but it’s the old OCD!  I’ve platinumed the other souls games so I really want to see and do as much as I can here, too.

Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be re-speccing to an INT/ARC build, that ought to freshen things up

Man, CFA is an incredible location, possibly the best dungeon in the game. It's like Archdragon Peak from DS3 on steroids. Amazing to think that the devs saved this right until the end, where lots of players won't even get to it.

3 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

Any tips for killing baddies who constantly roll out of the way of your spells? I had to use a sword to top Big Tongue Arthur or whatever his name is which didn't feel very magician'y

https://www.eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Night+Sorceries

It's hard to go all-in on any one weapon at all times, ideally in your situation you need another melee weapon which scales with INT so you can fight at different ranges including melee range. Moonveil, Crystal Sword, Carian Knight sword, others I won't spoil.

Don't forget you can use any old sword and then enchant it to do different types of damage by having a sword in one hand and a staff in the other. Or switch the ash of war at any grace so it does different types of damage. E.g. put a cold or magic ash of war onto it to make it scale with INT and do cold/magic damage.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

200 hours and I still have new areas to look forward to. This is the single greatest entertainment experience of my life.

You might have been there.. if only fleetingly.. Have you done all four belfries?

4 minutes ago, robdood said:

You might have been there.. if only fleetingly.. Have you done all four belfries?

Ah, the place I've only seen from a distance but couldn't get down to. I know what it is now. The visuals were incredible.

22 minutes ago, robdood said:

Here's some chortlesome bow-only boss encounters from last night.. Wolf and Sentinel were first-try-ers, which was satisfying. I even forgot to summon for Tree Sentinel, whoops! Rennala was my second go, I cut out the first phase cos it was LONG.  And then I accidentally summoned the jellyfish :( But still made it!!

Red Wolf:

Reveal hidden contents

Rennala:

Reveal hidden contents

Draconic Tree Sentinel:

Reveal hidden contents

Mad skillz. Does jumping and shooting do anything particularly? And you should take your build all the way to the big M at the bottom of the big HT. There's a video a few pages back of someone doing her with just the bow. Looks *somewhat* tense.

hahaha 

very mild spoiler

Spoiler

the jellyfish

are Welsh

Spoiler

I re-united them.  Felt good.

Related to that area in general...

where are the graces ffs?  

20 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

200 hours and I still have new areas to look forward to. This is the single greatest entertainment experience of my life.

Yep, and it’s a sizeable and awesome section as well!

With regards to comments made about it being a bit of a boss rush towards the end, I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. I mean, it can be if you tackle things in a certain order, but it’s also possible to still have areas to explore in-between.

18 minutes ago, scottcr said:

hahaha 

very mild spoiler

Hide contents

the jellyfish

are Welsh

Hide contents

I re-united them.  Felt good.

Related to that area in general...

where are the graces ffs?  

I think it's notable just how many of the voice actors in the game appear to be Welsh, to the point where it's surprising when you hear another accent.

21 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Yep, and it’s a sizeable and awesome section as well!

With regards to comments made about it being a bit of a boss rush towards the end, I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. I mean, it can be if you tackle things in a certain order, but it’s also possible to still have areas to explore in-between.

That's quite enough work for today, I'm going back in!

57 minutes ago, robdood said:

Here's some chortlesome bow-only boss encounters from last night.. Wolf and Sentinel were first-try-ers, which was satisfying. I even forgot to summon for Tree Sentinel, whoops! Rennala was my second go, I cut out the first phase cos it was LONG.  And then I accidentally summoned the jellyfish :( But still made it!!

Red Wolf:

Hide contents

Rennala:

Reveal hidden contents

Draconic Tree Sentinel:

Reveal hidden contents

"Oh bloody Nora!" :lol:

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think it's notable just how many of the voice actors in the game appear to be Welsh, to the point where it's surprising when you hear another accent.

I think @robdoodasked this but I didn't see an answer - do we know if the regional UK accents are in the global versions of the game? Is that what everyone hears? If so I just love that. Roderika sounds like my cousin from the Midlands.

At first I thought the dialogue was a bit dry, but now I've met more of the characters it's just brilliantly natural. Prawn guy was absolutely amazing.

I’ve really enjoyed watching the progression of the speedruns. Starting with several hour long ones where people were spamming Hoarfrost stomp at everything, then the discovery of the wrongwarp which exploits the game’s stable ground variable (which tells it where the last safe place you were standing was) in combination with the item that sends you back to the last grace you visited and quitting out in order to confuse the game into putting you at the start of any area you’ve gotten to, which lets you go to the four belfries preview of CFA and then get into the area properly. 

Then the zip glitch, which exploits an issue where the looped idle blocking animation is combined with the slow walk animation to fire the character miles into the distance. Then mega zip which interrupts the zip with a second animation for more distance. They’re both frame perfect tricks, really hard to pull off and very impressive when you know what goes into making them work. So whilst the run with look like a lot of random quitting out and blocking before suddenly teleporting, the precision and effort that goes into it is staggering. Once you understand what they’re doing it’s amazing.

Similarly, they defeat the final boss by teleporting into the sky which looks weird. But actually what’s happening is that they’re going close enough that the final vote as spawns in but then far enough away that the ground the boss is standing on spawns out so it falls to its death. But if you don’t understand it looks like they’ve just teleported into the sky then suddenly the game ends. 

3 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I’m now 85 hours into this, it’s pretty astonishing, I’m playing an all time great.

I’ve only defeated 2 cut scene bosses and taken something to a divine tower and done some stuff in the hold so I’ve got a long way to go.

I feel sorry for the Fools who watch streams of this before playing it, who consult guides online or finish the entire thing in a week.

Special games don’t come around that often.

I feel sorry for people still trudging through a month after release, trying to avoid the endless spoilers and not even being close to the real fun of learning the maps fully and trying out different builds and challenges. 

44 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Mad skillz. Does jumping and shooting do anything particularly?

does a few things, 1st, it can be slightly faster to fire, 2nd, can be a head shot, and 3rd...can break the AI and stop it rolling out the way 😂

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Red Wolf:

Reveal hidden contents

Rennala:

Reveal hidden contents

Draconic Tree Sentinel:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry I couldn't stick around, but I enjoyed what I saw of the stream. :) It's great seeing how other people are playing.

7 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I also presume jumping and firing gets a Jump Attack bonus, particularly with the talisman equipped, but not 100% sure that applies to arrows.

It doesn't, sadly! 

Jump shots are:

Faster

More likely to accidentally headshot

With a short bow, lets you do a 'landing' quickshot

I've not notice it make a difference to ai rolling though! 

The roll shot with a short bow is amazing too, that's how I beat the ai invaders, anyway! 

4 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I’m now 85 hours into this, it’s pretty astonishing, I’m playing an all time great.

I’ve only defeated 2 cut scene bosses and taken something to a divine tower and done some stuff in the hold so I’ve got a long way to go.

I feel sorry for the Fools who watch streams of this before playing it, who consult guides online or finish the entire thing in a week.

Special games don’t come around that often.

I mean, I'm with you in general, but the games been out about 6 weeks by now, man.