IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Just got to the final boss pair, unfortunately died, which presents a dilemma- I happily gave up on melania- saw phase 2 and that was enough, but I've never got satisfaction out of practicing against bosses. Love making my way through dungeons, get bored if I have to repeat a boss, never mind 2. The last boss I put effort into beating was Sister Fried, and I regret all the time spent doing that, genuinely wasted. I'll see how I feel tomorrow, but I can just see myself summoning someone to do all the work for me, like Maliketh, or just calling it quits.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

This is entertaining me this evening.  Thumbnail explains it.  

Just watched this. Very good! Thanks for sharing. Some of the late game fights are nuts.

I get the feeling this guard may have a bad day.*

image.thumb.png.21e46f015585437db42604418215005d.png

*My new favorite thing to do, launch boulders as high as possible in the air and watch them come down and squash the unfortunate soul that's standing under it. :lol:

It's actually addictive!

17 minutes ago, Retroid said:

I get the feeling this guard may have a bad day.*

image.thumb.png.21e46f015585437db42604418215005d.png

*My new favorite thing to do, launch boulders as high as possible in the air and watch them come down and squash the unfortunate soul that's standing under it. :lol:

It's actually addictive!

How do you do that?

18 minutes ago, Retroid said:

It's one of the Beastial Arts.

Hide contents

You get from the Deathroot guy

Thanks, but even at nearly 70 hours in still pottering around Lurnia, so I’ve no idea what bestial arts are or who the guy you mention is! Another thing to add to my list then.

There should havebeen an NPC at the Round Table who says that he plans to move on somewhere else, and ask you to take over his role?

Are you exhausting conversations with every NPC you meet? They will invariably have more to say if you talk to them more than once, and that is what triggers quests and that kind of thing.

Psycho neighbour has kept us up all night with her antics so I ended up putting this on after the police left and took it out on Maliketh (and that fucking Tree Sentinel)

Anyway, he's down

Spoiler

so I collected the final Talisman and final Mending Rune from the Capital :D 

I think it's only the last boss fights and the endings left now for Platinum

Too tired to play any more and will be starting work soon so I think I might get this finished tomorrow (tonight) providing I don't fall asleep early

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

There should havebeen an NPC at the Round Table who says that he plans to move on somewhere else, and ask you to take over his role?

Are you exhausting conversations with every NPC you meet? They will invariably have more to say if you talk to them more than once, and that is what triggers quests and that kind of thing.

Not sure if this is in response to me, but yeah, I go through all NPC dialogue. I can’t recall meeting anyone at the Round Table who’s left though. Maybe I’ve forgotten, as I’ve got so much on the go it’s hard to keep track.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not sure if this is in response to me, but yeah, I go through all NPC dialogue. I can’t recall meeting anyone at the Round Table who’s left though. Maybe I’ve forgotten, as I’ve got so much on the go it’s hard to keep track.

It was a response to you and after checking, it turns out I'm talking rubbish. Basically, there's a NPC called D there who talks about Those Who Live with Death or something. If you've got a deathroot in your possession (just check your inventory), then his dialogue will change and he'll tell you to go to a specific location where you'll meet another NPC who gives you bestial related thing (incantations/spells/weapons) in exchange for deathroots, which are dropped by specific enemies/bosses (some of which can be found outside and some inside catacombs).

5 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

It was a response to you and after checking, it turns out I'm talking rubbish. Basically, there's a NPC called D there who talks about Those Who Live with Death or something. If you've got a deathroot in your possession (just check your inventory), then his dialogue will change and he'll tell you to go to a specific location where you'll meet another NPC who gives you bestial related thing (incantations/spells/weapons) in exchange for deathroots, which are dropped by specific enemies/bosses (some of which can be found outside and some inside catacombs).

Hmm, I’m wondering now if you’re talking about the big NPC at the Bestial Sanctuary? I wasn’t told to go there by any NPC though. I stumbled into him by going through one of the teleporters and definitely gave him something. It’s been so long I’ve forgotten what though!

Thanks for your help though Tal, it’s given me something else to look into further.

I'd recently read an online article of guessing that the clouds on the map are hiding areas that could be hiding future DLC.

Surely there isn't anything left to give on this game,  its an embarrassment of riches already!

Other games released usually have content cut that either doesn't work or isn't quite ready on release. Given its sheer size, I'd expect there's loads of stuff they have left over, let alone DLC. Could imagine they had the idea of hiding stuff with clouds in reserve depending on what they got finished.

My DLC prediction:

Spoiler

Miquella leaves his egg.

Is there a guide out there along the lines of, if you fancy getting the platinum on your one playthrough, here are the key things you must get done / avoid doing / mustn't miss along the way, that isn't a walkthrough for the whole game?

Just now, Ste Pickford said:

Is there a guide out there along the lines of, if you fancy getting the platinum on your one playthrough, here are the key things you must get done / avoid doing / mustn't miss along the way, that isn't a walkthrough for the whole game?

Would assume a platinum in one go is impossible here given the endings, but I'm no expert 

A little save scumming would be required. But it actually feels like it was designed specifically to allow people to do that easily for the

Spoiler

Endings.

if they do everything they need to do leading up to that.

I was talking on twitter with Nick (from here) about how far you could get in this if you treated it as a walking simulator.  We reckon right to the top of Liurnia would be the max distance you could get to without killing anyone, maybe to the bottom of Weeping Peninsula too.

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I was talking on twitter with Nick (from here) about how far you could get in this if you treated it as a walking simulator.  We reckon right to the top of Liurnia would be the max distance you could get to without killing anyone, maybe to the bottom of Weeping Peninsula too.

Nah you can get dectus medallions without hurting anyone too! I think you could reach the capital and Mt gelmir.  Getting into mountaintop of giants is probably not doable tho 

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Not aimed at you specifically, but why do people feel the need to get the platinum/max achievements on things?

There’s nothing wrong with it of course, it’s just not something I care about. I’d rather enjoy my time with the game, rather than trying to make sure I get every trophy. I just wonder what motivates people to do it.

12 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Depends what you mean. People have finished the game without causing any damage themselves, purely using summons or coaxing enemies off cliffs and shit.

It actually gets surprisingly tactical and fun to watch, as you can heal and buff your summons, which is very much necessary in some fights.

20 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not aimed at you specifically, but why do people feel the need to get the platinum/max achievements on things?

There’s nothing wrong with it of course, it’s just not something I care about. I’d rather enjoy my time with the game, rather than trying to make sure I get every trophy. I just wonder what motivates people to do it.

For me it is actually a hat tip to the developer: "I enjoyed this game from beginning to end and saw 100% of the content."

I have only done it with 2 other games: DS2 and Bloodborne.

I presume that developers and publishers look at the stats for this stuff. I'm guessing that seeing a high percentage of platinums in the player base gives From good ammo in future when their publisher is whining that they need to frontload the "good" content or make the game easier to finish.

17 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Depends what you mean. People have finished the game without causing any damage themselves, purely using summons or coaxing enemies off cliffs and shit.

It actually gets surprisingly tactical and fun to watch, as you can heal and buff your summons, which is very much necessary in some fights.

A short while ago I sent this to a friend who had no interest in Elden Ring and he bought it as a result. He was just amazed at the level of problem solving you could apply to a bloody minded ideal and make it work.

On 09/04/2022 at 20:18, Jamie John said:

I'm not so sure, to be honest. I suggested as much about 15 hours or so in-game hours ago. It's not that it's too big, but more like it's too *much*. It's wearying to play something this intense for this amount of time. It feels endless and almost insurmountable. Areas within areas within areas.

I've never played a single-player campaign for 120 hours before without additional DLC. BotW with all the shrines was about 90. Persona 5 was 100 and definitely too long. I think my save on The Witcher 3 was up to 120 hours, but that was after both DLC chapters and every single sidequest completed. The imagination and creativity on show in Elden Ring is truly amazing, but part of me wonders if, overall, I don't prefer the relative leanness of Sekiro, or Dark Souls 1. Elden Ring is as mind-boggling as it is exhausting.

Yeah I've been having over a week and a half break from Elden Ring and only just popped back into the thread to catch up. That sounds like nothing, but considering I played it nearly every day since release it's been welcome. I'm currently at the final Capital boss but with a lot of the Capital still to explore including the sewers and ash areas. Outside of that I've explored a big chunk of what's available to me, just the odd dungeon here and there and the belfries to do. For me it was becoming a bit of a slog in size and a bit relentless in the tone so its been good to have a break.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I think the only achievement you can get locked out of is the Legendary Armaments one. One weapon becomes unavailable if you haven't picked it up by a certain point.

Details in the nested spoiler below:

Spoiler

It's the Bolt of Gransax which is located in 

Spoiler

Leyndell, Royal Capital

You can no longer get to it once you have 

Spoiler

Beaten Maliketh in Crumbling Farum Azula