IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

1 minute ago, Blunted said:

I think the only achievement you can get locked out of is the Legendary Armaments one. One weapon becomes unavailable if you haven't picked it up by a certain point.

Details in the nested spoiler below:

Hide contents

It's the Bolt of Gransax which is located in 

Hide contents

Leyndell, Royal Capital

You can no longer get to it once you have 

Hide contents

Beaten Maliketh in Crumbling Farum Azula

Cheers!  Not up to that yet, but good to know.

3 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Cheers!  Not up to that yet, but good to know.

Bear in mind that you can miss at least one of the non-achievement endings as well. You should aim to progress NPC questlines as much as you can whenever you see the NPC in a new place.

Cheers, yeah, always try to do everything I can with NPCs.  Quite a few have died, so not sure if that's a good or bad ending for any of them, and some have moved on to places I've not found yet, but hopefully all my plates are spinning.

I did kill Gostoc, as he'd pissed me off, and I presumed his segment was over, then read something about him having a role later on in something new back at Stormveil, but hopefully I haven't locked myself out of anything important.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Not aimed at you specifically, but why do people feel the need to get the platinum/max achievements on things?

There’s nothing wrong with it of course, it’s just not something I care about. I’d rather enjoy my time with the game, rather than trying to make sure I get every trophy. I just wonder what motivates people to do it.

I think you're mischaracterising trophy collection somewhat. You're not forgoing enjoyment and natural exploration for some soulless, systematic ticking off of a checklist. By the time you near the end of the game you have almost 90% of them by pure chance so you think, hey, I may as well mop up the rest. Then you start to dig around, learn about things you missed, NPC quests, cool new areas. It's more game, basically.

I killed Gostoc after Godrick because he was no longer selling and I wanted the buckler. It was fine.

22 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I did kill Gostoc, as he'd pissed me off, and I presumed his segment was over, then read something about him having a role later on in something new back at Stormveil, but hopefully I haven't locked myself out of anything important.

He sells you something later, but you'll be able to find plenty more of them.

41 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Right any tips for EB as pure strength. Twat that it is.  Dual wielding Greatswords, got my mimic tear. He just warps so far away so I cant whail on it enough. 

Spoiler

- Run straight towards him as soon as the battle starts and get around the back of him. He almost always opens with a golden flame attack, but you can smack his arse from behind and not be in its range.

- The golden crack on his belly is a weakpoint, so aim for that whenever possible. Hit it enough and you'll be able to get a stagger for the crit.

- Use the holy negation cerulean tear, especially when he does his beehive attack with all of the golden stars which home in on you. This is probably his most unavoidable attack. Eat whatever meat it is that gives you holy negation as well.

- Equip yourself with the Shabriri talisman at the very start of the Radagon fight, summon your mimic, then switch back to your original talisman. This way your mimic will draw all the aggro. Just try to keep it alive!

- Ultimately, his move set is pretty limited compared with some of the other lategame bosses, and most of his attacks are heavily telegraphed, but they do hit very, very hard. You'll get there.

So just had my second rage quit of the game (in Castle Sol), and it was a severe, teeth gnashing rage quit... I wrote a huge paragraph explaining why I thought it was mega-mega-mega-frustrating and not in a "appreciate the challenge" kind of way. Then I remembered what game I was actually playing and deleted the whole thing.

However, I would still say that in my experience, the difficulty of this game really has been all over the place. Some bits in the later stages of the game have been waaaaaay easier than earlier parts but it just seems to fluctuate so greatly.  I must also concede that for such a huge, epic game as this, and with such freedom - the balancing must have been pretty much impossible to pin down, and depending on lots of variables (your build, stats, which areas you go to in which order etc) some parts will be hard as nails for some and easy as pie for others. Maybe they gave a little too much freedom..? I dunno - it certainly wouldn't be the same game without it, and I find it hard to level any criticism at such a masterpiece.

Now this post is just confusing - was it an angry or appreciative one? Maybe both... 😆

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Not aimed at you specifically, but why do people feel the need to get the platinum/max achievements on things?

There’s nothing wrong with it of course, it’s just not something I care about. I’d rather enjoy my time with the game, rather than trying to make sure I get every trophy. I just wonder what motivates people to do it.

I'm at almost 180 hours. At around 100 hours I realised I probably could get the Platinum. And I'm thoroughly enjoying doing so as it's another reward for exploration and diligence.

I've only got Plat on 2 other games (technically not Plat but 100% on Steam) and those are DS1 & DS3

I’m about 120 hours in and haven’t changed my starting bandit gear. There’s so much depth in this game that I feel I’m not worthy of lapping if all up. Not used my pouch. Nor any of the drops from the main bosses. No idea what great runes do or rune arcs. I fear this might bite me in the arse in the end game. 

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, you end up in Midsommar 2. This game. 

42 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I’m about 120 hours in and haven’t changed my starting bandit gear. There’s so much depth in this game that I feel I’m not worthy of lapping if all up. Not used my pouch. Nor any of the drops from the main bosses. No idea what great runes do or rune arcs. I fear this might bite me in the arse in the end game. 

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, you end up in Norfolk. This game. 

Finished it. 123 hours, level 155. Loved it, really struggling to think of anything I'd rate higher.

The end stretch does feel very boss heavy and is a bit of a shock being put in your place after getting super powerful, but I absolutely adored the game. The sheer sense of wonder is unrivalled IMO. 

Favourite bit for me was bashing my head of Godrick for a while then finding the cliff path and realising I could just explore beyond him and level up a bit while doing so. Amazing.

Low point, Malenia. Asking too much of my meager skills and I ended up having to get some summon help to beat her.

Bravo From Software. 10/10.

Fuck knows what I'm going to do now, got the same feeling as when I finished Dark Souls, everything else seems a bit shallow.

When trying to get the last few things for the Platinum, I had a quick look where I needed to go, but even in the process of going there and getting them I discovered new and hidden little areas and other things I'd missed. It's truly wonderful.

My NG+ play still beckons. Looking forward to seeing a few NPC questlines I missed too.

3 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

For me it is actually a hat tip to the developer: "I enjoyed this game from beginning to end and saw 100% of the content."

I have only done it with 2 other games: DS2 and Bloodborne.

I presume that developers and publishers look at the stats for this stuff. I'm guessing that seeing a high percentage of platinums in the player base gives From good ammo in future when their publisher is whining that they need to frontload the "good" content or make the game easier to finish.

I reckon that they don't need something as crude as achievements to measure player's actions, I'm sure they're constantly monitoring what players are doing in much more detailed ways.

But on topic, on Xbox (no idea on playstation), it'll tell you how many players get a particular achievement. Years ago I noticed that really easy achievements - things you'd get in the course of playing a game for an hour would have really low percentages, like 50% of players wouldn't have the equivalent of "finish the first level" or whatever.

When I beat Margit on Elden Ring (which despite having played a fair amount of these games before took me a few goes) I noticed that around 50% of players had managed it too.  Now, vs the whole game, this is not much of an indicator of a rabid player base, but to enthuse 50% of the players of the biggest selling game of the year (maybe) enough that they'll all fight through a fair number of hours to get to the boss and then prevail does show that ER must be some sort of engagement hit. 

5 hours ago, JPL said:

Hmm, I’m wondering now if you’re talking about the big NPC at the Bestial Sanctuary? I wasn’t told to go there by any NPC though. I stumbled into him by going through one of the teleporters and definitely gave him something. It’s been so long I’ve forgotten what though!

Thanks for your help though Tal, it’s given me something else to look into further.

Yes! In the normal course of things, you would have chatted with D at the Round Table who would have marked that teleporter on your map but it looks like you just stumbled on it randomly. Whatever works I guess!

If you've given him something, then you should have received at least one item that will put up a kind of notification when you are near the things that the big NPC wants you to kill. Basically, kill those, collect deathroots, give them to the big NPC and get bestial incantations as a reward.

Being able to drop large rocks on people's heads (orbital barrage!) seems like a great thing to have so I need to go and hunt down a few more of those deathroot type enemies.

I inadvertently aggroed that Bestial NPC while trying to kill the twat outside his front door. Said NPC now really, really wants me dead. :lol:

Oh, I know I can cleanse myself of this heinous sin, and be buddies again, but as I've finished this playthrough now, I'm not really arsed. I think I'll just leave him stewing away in his temple, imagining all the ways he can kill me, seething with impotent fury.

A bit like 95% of the forum and the Tory party.

1 minute ago, Girth Certificate said:

fair enough if you know you did it but he does get a bit arsey in the normal course of things, you just need to give him a few smacks and he'll chill out again

Didn't know that. Pretty sure I lamped him while swinging at the big bast clipping through the wall, but maybe he was already going for me anyway.

19 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I inadvertently aggroed that Bestial NPC while trying to kill the twat outside his front door. Said NPC now really, really wants me dead. :lol:

Oh, I know I can cleanse myself of this heinous sin, and be buddies again, but as I've finished this playthrough now, I'm not really arsed. I think I'll just leave him stewing away in his temple, imagining all the ways he can kill me, seething with impotent fury.

A bit like 95% of the forum and the Tory party.

You don't have to kill him. Just give him a beating as in half his health and he stops trying to murder you. I discovered this yesterday. 

Hmm, I've been watching too many streamers who are far, far more skilled than I am do various run-throughs of this, and now I've got it into my head that I should do a naked INT/ARC dual-wielding Moon Veil and Rivers of Blood no summons no ashes New Game Plus all bosses run.

Hmm.

Thinking Sword & Board build for a completely fresh run. Now to ask fextralife for some good starter setup, surely there's an easy suicide run to somewhere that'll get me a good set for first dozen of levels.

edit: @Jamie Johndon't watch videos by ONGBAL on Youtube, before you realise you'll convince yourself you can do level 1 no dmg runs 😬

Finally platinumed it and seen all the endings. No save scumming for me though, each ending required a whole playthrough, so I did up to and including ng+5. All using my unga-bunga dual wield giant killer hammer build. Level 220-odd by the end, 99 STR, 70 VIT, 60 END. And sundry others. Jump attack smash everything. First playthrough took me up to about 155 hours on the clock. Other five playthroughs combined took about 40 hours. Once you know where you're going, you can zip through it pretty quickly.

For me, Melania is by faaaaaar the hardest boss, followed by Maliketh. Everything else, not too tough.

So, time for a fresh start, new build. I don't know whether to go for a DEX, ARC katana bleed build, or a buckler rapier stabby-stabby riposte build.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Oh, I know I can cleanse myself of this heinous sin, and be buddies again,

FWIW I tried to do this and the fountain just told me I hadn't sinned.  It seems violence is the only answer!!

Bleed build is supposedly very good, but looks rather... dull. Most videos I see about it is jump attack, back off, jump attack, MASSIVE BLEED DAMAGE PROC. Still aiming for Sword & Board as it is so different from a magic build.

I think a character that only uses the various polearms could be good fun - twinblades, halberds, naginata, etc.  I'm useless with the movesets on those things so it'sd be good to force me into learning a new playstyle.