IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

I literally can't play any other games at the moment.  I just want this to come out. 

Listening to the (network test) soundtrack today to help me through work.  It's great!! I do love how their musical flair (and budget, from the sounds of things) has improved over time ❤️  I also favour this new 'style' of having a general BGM track playing, ala Sekiro.  It's good for the atmosphere!

There's going to be tons of leaky footage over next few weeks. I'm going to do my best to avoid it. 

Maybe I'll run through Sekiro again.  I bought it on PC after rinsing PS4 version and don't have the achievements. Something to do, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

Some of the replies to this are exactly what you'd expect:

I might actually buy this if it's more forgiving. 

. As an example, Kitao pointed out that the Stormveil area (and boss) from the game's Network Test could be avoided completely in full game, or returned to much later.

Nice! 

So ridiculously excited for this. When I think about all the games From have made up to this point, and then consider the sheer scope of this project, it has the potential to be my GOAT.

I don’t even have any concerns about it not meeting my expectations, I just can’t imagine Miyazaki dropping the ball. I do realise that means I’ve got even further to fall if I end up not clicking with it, but it’s fun to stoke that hype train sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

So ridiculously excited for this. When I think about all the games From have made up to this point, and then consider the sheer scope of this project, it has the potential to be my GOAT.

I don’t even have any concerns about it not meeting my expectations, I just can’t imagine Miyazaki dropping the ball. I do realise that means I’ve got even further to fall if I end up not clicking with it, but it’s fun to stoke that hype train sometimes.

Naaaah man, it's gonna be amaze, and I'd be incredibly surprised if it's not their best game to date.  

God I can't wait to lose myself in it!!

And man, imagine the mods for PC in a few years, too!!  Sheeeeeeeit. 

On 24/01/2022 at 14:55, Wiper said:

The games do also get widely praised for their world-building, level design, generic encounter design* and enigmatic storytelling, so it's not as though the boss fights are the only appeal; I'd certainly enjoy the Souls games more if I could keep all of those qualities and drop (or drop the difficulty of) the boss fights.

Saying you'd keep the levels the same but drop the difficulty of the bosses is a bit like saying that in Rock Band/Guitar Hero, you wish you had the option to play the riffs on Expert (because they're boring on anything lower) while dropping the solos with the big difficulty spikes down to Hard (because they're seemingly impossible on Expert).

... Wait a second. I wish that!

I'm not one who complains about From game difficulty. Finished OG DeS (pretty much finished Remake, still playing), finished Dark Souls, working my way through 2 on my old PS3, and rinsed every inch of Bloodborne and its DLC. All pretty much no problems, 99.9% of all of the above completed without summoning, think I did it once, maybe twice throughout them all.

But...I'm completely stuck at Owl (Father) and his second fight in Sekiro and Darkeater Midir in DS3. Now, I think both are optional but that's neither here nor there for me. They're bosses that need beating and if I can't beat them then that's the point I'm stuck at, no skipping. If Eleden has sticking points like those but presents a way you can complete them then I'm all for it.

I want to beat the whole shebang and don't feel that any type of assistance that the creators have put into the game, be it a slider or whatever, for you to overcome a challenge is cheating or me being shit. If they put an option in and I'm royally stuck then I'll use that option. No bother.

On 25/01/2022 at 10:04, robdood said:

Nice! 

Yeah, the scope of the open world could potentially make this my new favourite. If I can put certain encounters on the shelf and have enough other things keeping me busy until I’m better prepared for the rematch, it could solve the issue of “one insane encounter that’s the only means of progress.” I’m looking forward to going beyond the beta’s invisible walls. :) 

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Yeah, the scope of the open world could potentially make this my new favourite. If I can put certain encounters on the shelf and have enough other things keeping me busy until I’m better prepared for the rematch, it could solve the issue of “one insane encounter that’s the only means of progress.” I’m looking forward to going beyond the beta’s invisible walls. :) 

Started Sekiro again last night, I'd forgotten that you get options for that there, too!! e.g.  The first spear monk guy in the Hirata Estate memory.  He guards a fog gate thing, but you can just go in the water and around the side, and still reach Juzou / the end of the stage! 

Huge sections of the stages can be sidestepped/avoided if you want, it's great.  

A whole open world of that design is going to be absolute madness.  

29 sleeps!! Someone append the thread title!

3 minutes ago, robdood said:

Started Sekiro again last night, I'd forgotten that you get options for that there, too!! e.g.  The first spear monk guy in the Hirata Estate memory.  He guards a fog gate thing, but you can just go in the water and around the side, and still reach Juzou / the end of the stage! 

Huge sections of the stages can be sidestepped/avoided if you want, it's great.  

A whole open world of that design is going to be absolute madness.  

29 sleeps!! Someone append the thread title!

Another reason why this 'avoidance' is a good thing is it means the rewards for overcoming such obstacles are likely to be more interesting than just 'the next (harder) stage of the game'.  It's much more likely to be shortcuts, or sweet loot, upgrades etc.

I am firmly on the hype train, but imagine if Fromsoft manage to make the best ever open world game on their first try...?  I believe in Michael Zaki.  I reckon they can do it. 

On 24/01/2022 at 16:49, Strafe said:

For those that want the difficulty of the game lowered, Hidetaka Miyazaki designed the games around giving the player “accomplishment by overcoming tremendous odds”.

That’s the rationale behind the game’s difficulty. That’s what the man said. That’s his vision.

I now expect anyone who moans about the difficulty to be given a permaban.

I also expect there will be more than one occasion post release that I will walk back on this comment quite hard so the rule does not apply to me.

I know you're joking a bit here, but there's one word in that quote that sticks out, which the following post made me think of.

4 hours ago, amc said:

I'm not one who complains about From game difficulty. Finished OG DeS (pretty much finished Remake, still playing), finished Dark Souls, working my way through 2 on my old PS3, and rinsed every inch of Bloodborne and its DLC. All pretty much no problems, 99.9% of all of the above completed without summoning, think I did it once, maybe twice throughout them all.

But...I'm completely stuck at Owl (Father) and his second fight in Sekiro and Darkeater Midir in DS3. Now, I think both are optional but that's neither here nor there for me. They're bosses that need beating and if I can't beat them then that's the point I'm stuck at, no skipping. If Eleden has sticking points like those but presents a way you can complete them then I'm all for it.

I want to beat the whole shebang and don't feel that any type of assistance that the creators have put into the game, be it a slider or whatever, for you to overcome a challenge is cheating or me being shit. If they put an option in and I'm royally stuck then I'll use that option. No bother.

The vision for the games is about getting past obstacles which the player finds challenging; no mention of everyone overcoming one set level of difficulty. The nice thing is that they do appear to be aiming to actually implement this in their games without the sledgehammer approach of difficulty sliders. (It's not going totally swimmingly - for all Sekiro's talk of being more attractive to newcomers it was maybe more punishing and hard to find other ways around brick walls)

Well I'm incredibly weak willed and just watched the Taipei interview, so you all don't have to!  There wasn't too much in the way of new footage, but it was really interesting to hear Kitao talk about how conscious they have been of alleviating 'stress' on the player's part.  Now, I feel like the word 'stress' is probably very slightly mis-translated, because all the examples they talked about were things designed to alleviate frustration, which is GREAT.  E.g. there are, in some locations, 'checkpoints' that let you restart closer to where you died than the last bonfire. 

They're well aware of the rep of their games and are actively trying to make the games more approachable and less off-putting than in the past.  Hopefully we get a whole new raft of Fromsoft fam on the back of Elden Ring! 

I did have to clip one little bit of the footage from the Taipei presentation, just check out this dagger/consumable/bow action!!  Looks so freaking sweet!!  Build diversity is back in a big way :D

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxIRK0QvRARteijfdzV-08LwOxQHksxdxd

(an enemy even ducks under a player-fired arrow - WHAT!)

45 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I know you're joking a bit here, but there's one word in that quote that sticks out, which the following post made me think of.

The vision for the games is about getting past obstacles which the player finds challenging; no mention of everyone overcoming one set level of difficulty. The nice thing is that they do appear to be aiming to actually implement this in their games without the sledgehammer approach of difficulty sliders. (It's not going totally swimmingly - for all Sekiro's talk of being more attractive to newcomers it was maybe more punishing and hard to find other ways around brick walls)

And despite all this I still think they should put in the awesome modern accessibility options we're seeing in lots of games these days.  Things like high contrast mode, adjustable game speed, one handed controls, all that good stuff.  It's a completely separate issue from 'difficulty' imo. 

3 minutes ago, robdood said:

And despite all this I still think they should put in the awesome modern accessibility options we're seeing in lots of games these days.  Things like high contrast mode, adjustable game speed, one handed controls, all that good stuff.  It's a completely separate issue from 'difficulty' imo. 

Oof, don't let's get into that again! Last time this came up one of this forum's characters got very narked at me. The basic point was that you can't comprehensively address accessibility without addressing difficulty (see Forza 5 for how to do it right; game speed for example is completely in the perceived grey area and would have people with anime avatars howling at you on twitter).

But the other things you've mentioned, totally, I'd love for a studio as established as From to be including those things as standard, without even having to get into the issues over difficulty.

I'm away right now but when I get back I'm going to pre order this digitally. Is there a difference between the PS4 & PS5 versions, thought I saw someone mention something about FPS before the boring difficulty discussion resurfaced, in fact theres a separate thread for that isn't there? 

I'm fucking hyped I've avoided pretty much everything I'm going in blind. 

46 minutes ago, robdood said:

I did have to clip one little bit of the footage from the Taipei presentation, just check out this dagger/consumable/bow action!!  Looks so freaking sweet!!  Build diversity is back in a big way :D

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxIRK0QvRARteijfdzV-08LwOxQHksxdxd

(an enemy even ducks under a player-fired arrow - WHAT!)

This is amazing. I'm a bit worried about the floaty jumping in it, but Sekiro was the same and I didn't mind it there. Hoping they don't put in precision platforming bits..

22 minutes ago, Minion said:

I'm away right now but when I get back I'm going to pre order this digitally. Is there a difference between the PS4 & PS5 versions, thought I saw someone mention something about FPS before the boring difficulty discussion resurfaced, in fact theres a separate thread for that isn't there? 

I'm fucking hyped I've avoided pretty much everything I'm going in blind. 

PS5 version has better GFX settings, runs almost at 60fps at decent resolution most of the time (according to Digital Foundry). 

PS4 version played on a PS5 has chequerboard 4k and rock solid 60 fps, but worse detail on the gfx, e.g. grass draw distance. 

I'd guess PS5 is lead platform so I'd go with that, if I was buying a console version! 

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

PS5 version has better GFX settings, runs almost at 60fps at decent resolution most of the time (according to Digital Foundry). 

PS4 version played on a PS5 has chequerboard 4k and rock solid 60 fps, but worse detail on the gfx, e.g. grass draw distance. 

I'd guess PS5 is lead platform so I'd go with that, if I was buying a console version! 

Thank you very much dude! Whoop hype!!!

Do you think PS4 version (on PS4) will be noticeably worse than PC/PS5 version technically, as opposed to just cosmetically (lower draw distance , more enemies on screen etc?) 

If it's just cosmetics like lower texture resolution and stuff like that it probably won't bother me and I'll go with PS4. But if I'm going to be able to see enemies from further away, or take part in large-scale battles, I'll get it on PC I think. 

9 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

Maybe? Sekiro was hilariously harder than any Souls game or Bloodborne without any of the methods of lowering the difficulty those games provide. 

It's not even close. Genichiro nearly broke me.

7 hours ago, Minion said:

Thank you very much dude! Whoop hype!!!

I believe the PS4 disc allows you to download and install the PS5 version. At least that’s what I hope since that’s the disc I ordered cause it was cheaper.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Do you think PS4 version (on PS4) will be noticeably worse than PC/PS5 version technically, as opposed to just cosmetically (lower draw distance , more enemies on screen etc?) 

If it's just cosmetics like lower texture resolution and stuff like that it probably won't bother me and I'll go with PS4. But if I'm going to be able to see enemies from further away, or take part in large-scale battles, I'll get it on PC I think. 

As far as we know right now, the only differences are cosmetic. Enemy count and draw distance (since critical part of gameplay is scoping out what's ahead) etc all basically identical. 

30fps though. But that's not the end of the world!