IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is the main level of Volcano Manor the way in through the iron maiden?

I originally got in that way, but only made it to a point of grace and escaped.  I then got to the 'main' front entrance by being taken there by an NPC.  I think you can also get to the front entrance by exploring, eventually.

Thinking about it, I haven't connected that original iron maiden entry to the main entrance, so maybe I've not explored it all yet.

46 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I originally got in that way, but only made it to a point of grace and escaped.  I then got to the 'main' front entrance by being taken there by an NPC.  I think you can also get to the front entrance by exploring, eventually.

Thinking about it, I haven't connected that original iron maiden entry to the main entrance, so maybe I've not explored it all yet.

Yeah, I’ve done the same as you. Iron Maiden route first and escaped as quickly as I could, then got the invite and went to join their cult.

I’ve killed the invader upstairs and opened a few doors, but I can’t seem to find anywhere else to go in there. Where do I go?

47 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I don't think it does link up.. well, there's probably a one-way drop you can do form the manor to the iron maiden bit. 

As to your question about the boss / assassination missions, Wiki says beating the boss ends the quest so don't do it yet! 

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I’ve done the same as you. Iron Maiden route first and escaped as quickly as I could, then got the invite and went to join their cult.

I’ve killed the invader upstairs and opened a few doors, but I can’t seem to find anywhere else to go in there. Where do I go?

Do some assassinations and keep talking to all the NPCs, they'll give you a hint eventually..

10 minutes ago, robdood said:

Do some assassinations and keep talking to all the NPCs, they'll give you a hint eventually..

Ok, cool. I’ve done one and the spectral dude has appeared at the end of the corridor talking about Rykard, but I’ve no idea where he is yet. I’ll keep doing the assassinations and see what happens.

I killed the boss by finding him the exploration way, and there's still a quest marker for the assassination mission I was on. I haven't been to that marker yet so there might be nothing there. 

Think I'm nearing the end of the Dung Eater quest...he seems like a strange fellow. 

Also found two hero graves but not sure I can be arsed to do either, I didn't enjoy the first one much. 

Ooooh also....sewers spoiler

Spoiler

Killed the boss of the sewers, if you hit the shrine behind him it opens up another pathway. It's pretty messed up as well with loads of dead bodies everywhere. 

I failed a couple of times with the jumping section and gave up, but one to remember to resist. 

Glad you asked that Ste because I had the same question now I've beaten the first Volcano Manor boss. One thing that made me worried about it was:

Spoiler

I now have some assassination targets that are actually NPCs who have been summonable help for boss fights, like the big armour chap who I believe helped me in both Radaghan and the Magma Wyrm going up to the Altus Plateau. I'm worried that if I do the assassination missions now I might remove potential NPC help from future boss fights (I'm currently at Margott). Can anyone confirm if this is the case or am I safe to carry on assassinating?

Weird that they took torrent out of the last boss phase at the last minute leaving it a broken boring mess for some reason. It’s really, really fucking awful. Seems to be a common sentiment at least, so I’m not alone for once. 

Tried the PS5 version for a bit, the framerate drop on anything with particle effects is incredibly distracting, even with VRR. Definitely worth sticking with PS4 version on PS5. 

15 hours ago, JPL said:

Why do you even play this game? It feels like every single post of yours in here is moaning about something or other, which is fair enough if you're not enjoying it, but it makes me wonder why you're bothering and not playing something else instead.

Pretty sure it's allowed to voice frustration with a game in a thread for discussing the game in. 

Decided to poke my nose into the area after the capital....stomped on, multiple times. It's not like any one enemy is that hard but flipping heck they do a lot of damage, and quickly.  I've powered on through so far, largely by over levelling, but I might be getting close to the point in most Souls games where it becomes too hard for me to enjoy...we shall see! 

Visually already found one of the most stunning vistas of the game so far however, so it's pulling me through :)

My god this game is big though, it just keeps going. 

On 05/05/2022 at 16:04, Harrisown said:

I was doing the dung quest line thing.

Found the sewers and then found dung man, beat dung man in phantom form, went back to see dung man in the sewer and thought I’d have a rest, put the controller on my pillow and it triggered an attack and killed him.

So I broke my golden rule and looked it up to see what I missed and apparently it’s an alternate ending. Oops 

I would not worry about it, if you are doing a play through without looking anything up, it's certain that you will miss lots of alternate endings. Its obviously impossible to get all of the endings in one playthrough anyway (without save scumming). 

Anyway - I have finally managed to acquire a PS5 , after seeing one in a shop for the first time since they launched, two years ago or whatever ...

I am one boss fight (well, two, technically, but I've beaten the first one a couple of times) from finishing the game. Obviously I'm far from done with it and am already thinking about my NG+ playthrough to get a different ending. 

Should I transfer over to the PS5 version? I remember there was some suggestion, at launch, that the PS4 version was the best way to play the game, as in the most stable of the Sony options. Is that still the case? Or should I be looking at PS4 version on the PS5? Or is just jumping straight into the PS5 version fine these days?

Can I transfer my PS4 version save to the PS5 version? If so, what it the process? Just transfer it to cloud save on the PS4 then install the PS5 version on my PS5 and then download the save?

Or do I have to start an entirely new game if I want to move onto the PS5 version?

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Pretty sure it's allowed to voice frustration with a game in a thread for discussing the game in. 

Where did I say it wasn't? In fact, I even said it was fair enough to moan about it if you're not enjoying it. I've even moaned about certain things and I'm loving it. What I can't understand is why he'd carry on playing it if he seemingly hates it so much.

Made some good progress yesterday - beyond the Capital!

Long storytime:

Spoiler

Morgott still took a while to defeat even with Melina's help, but now I knew his attack patterns quite well I did get there in the end. I was excited to see what awaited me in the Erdtree... only to be denied! Bastards. I'm glad I had Melina though, I could have done it without her but it would have taken signicantly longer to survive phase 2, and I didn't want to miss any potential plot stuff by not bringing her along. Sure enough she appeared at the boss grace site and told me of the quest to burn the Erdtree down, meaning a trip to the pyre up the Giant's Mountain. 

I headed back to the previously sealed Eastern gate, now unlocked with Margotts death, and took the lift down into a cool and foggy snowy mountaintop pass. The little bastards guarding the pass made me take it slowly, but I reached a Gargoyle boss at the lift going up to the mountain proper without too much trouble. I hate gargoyles in this game! It was painful but I got him after a bunch of attempts, riding around like a madman and dismounting for the spear phase because its too hard to dodge some of the attacks on Torrent. 

Up the lift I was rewarded with a glorious view on the clear snowy mountaintop. At the first grace site I met an unexpected face, the chap who fights 'turned' Tarnished, right from the start of the game. I'm not sure with my recent Volcano Manor escapades whether I qualify for enemy status! Anyway, this is a new guy who has taken over the body of the old chap, no idea what's going on with the lore here, maybe all will be revealed by the end. He had the interesting nugget that Melina would be using herself as kindling for the flame, but suggested I could throw myself in the pyre myself. To do that I'd have to descend deep into the Capital sewers to find the 3 fingers and the frenzy god. I was planning on going there anyway so I might well pursue this rather noble quest to save Melina and its probably one of the endings. But first, time to explore!

The first ruins were an absolute bastard, full of the tall icy guys who do massive damage. I am quite good at fighting them thanks to hours of practice in the Evergaoal, but fighting multiple in closed quarters is rough. In the end I just carved a path to the basement item and gave up on trying to take out the whole camp after many many attempts. I found more evil birds (buggers), and the fire squad guarding an awesome walkway across a huge chasm (as well as a dungeon to keep for later). The views!

On the other side I descended into the frozen river valley, slaughtering demi humans and fire giants on my way left. Nowt much there except a Torrent wind passage going to the level above. Up there were some mysterious ruins with a sealed door behind which a girl wanted to see the stars. I found her and her sister's gravestone below, I'm curious as to how I'm going to get that open. Across a bridge I encountered the area's minor Erdtree, but skipped it for now and headed over to a huge graveyard, where I massacred another skelly boatman, and then a rather nasty Death Bird. This is where the Tree Spear comes in clutch, use its secondary function to apply a Holy buff and it does great damage, still took some attempts though.

Down the cliffs from the Death Bird I found a walking mausoleum, which I brought down, and Castle Sol, which I've heard much-mentioned here. This is also where the ghostly voice of the Alburnaric woman had mentioned earlier by the huge chasm, where she said I could get the other half of the seal to get to the Haligtree. I poked inside and had a mare fighting two giant dog beasts with the blades on the arms, until I realised you can get under the stairs and they can't use their jump attacks because its too low. Eat it!

I ventured further in, discovering annoying teleporting enemies, and died to a crossbow emplacement instantly. Another route took me up against a teleporting knight who absolutely wrecked me, so I decided to leave Sol for now. I spent a long time grinding against the Minor Erdtree guardian, which are usually easy fights - but this guy clones himself and one mistake usually means getting one-shot, and I kept getting greedy. Got there in the end.

After clearing the right side of the river valley with some fire giants, I arrived at a huge frozen lake. 'Looks like a dragon arena to me' I thought, as a blizzard kicked in. Sure enough it was. This wasn't too bad, only took 4-5 attempts, the huge HP being the main issue and getting taken by surprise by the AOE frostbite attacks. I'm a pro at fighting dragons now! Past the lake I found a tower guarded by lots of giant dogs and mannequins but it was sealed with a cryptic clue. A handy rllmuk message pointed me over to the broken bridge on the other side of the chasm, which some player messages revealed was an invisible bridge. It took a bunch of deaths to realise there was an invisible staircase here too, I had to use Hoarfrost Stomp to help reveal where to go. I have no idea how the 'falling snow' clue is supposed to help here, as even in the worst weather the snow still falls through the invisible bridge. Maybe you need some kind of falling snow spell to reveal it? Thank god for player messages!

Further up I had a very hard time clearing out a garrison of fire bros, dying so many times. In the garrison itself the top is a nightmare with 2 dogs and a miniboss, all of which can stunlock you or instakill you if you are unlucky. Got there in the end, and now, across the giant chain over the chasm I have a grace point ready to head to the top of the mountain.

To finish off the night I decided to head back to Volcano Manor, where yesterday I'd killed the Godskin Noble in the church but gone no further. First order of business was to finish off the assassination missions. These were easy enough, except the last one, a bastard with 2 whips who would combo me to death with even chained rolls not saving me. After some pain and suffering I decided to give him a taste of his own medicine and equipped my Urumi whip. Thus I had a few very tense fights of cat and mouse, running over and around the big rock in the middle of the arena, where we exchanged whip shots. The whip takes a while to swing, so timing is everything. It was down to the wire but I finally did it - very satisfying to beat him in this way!

At the Manor I revealed to Eva (the snake girl) her past, and she vanished. I've not found her since but hopefully I can find here somewhere. Now I was free to continue in the Manor explorations. I cleared out the next section without too much trouble, a few deaths here and there (the fire whip snake was the biggest headache), and took the teleport to the boss. I was not prepared for how epic this was, what an arena! And in true Souls fashion, a boss specific weapon. Getting the timings was hard but after a bunch of attempts I finally managed to beat him. Or so I thought. Phase 2! Nooooo!

Phase 2 seemed like a nightmare and I always had almost no flasks left even when I got there, or FP left to cast the powerful sword attack. But a ray of hope appeared when I discovered that a charged R2 attack with the sword did good damage. My phase 1 would consist of using mainly charged R2 attacks and the occasional special attack to conserve FP so I could use more special attacks in phase 2. After much grinding and frustration (stupid camera, lava and poison stuns, getting locked in eaten animations), I managed to get to phase 2 a few times with decent resources. On my final successful run, I managed to get a bunch of special attacks in at the start of phase 2, which ultimately set me up for victory, after a panicked roll away from the skulls of explodey death. Cool and satisfying fight, but I'm really glad I got it when I did as I could have seen myself at it for hours more. 

With that, everyone was leaving the manor. Surprisingly the manor lady didn't set her knight on me, instead acknowledging my strength. My evil knight bro in the living room said it was time to take on the Erdtree, so maybe he'll show up later. No sign of Eva or whatever her name is, I hope she's ok (knowing Souls she isn't), and if she doesn't turn up elsewhere I'll comb through the Manor looking for her. Patches is moving on, though I did extract my assassination reward from him first, little git. John Snow has vanished and I don't know where. I can't remember where his family was from but maybe I'll run into him again. 

So, a lot of great progress and overall I had a great time exploring new areas, even though some of it was quite tedious/frustrating. I'm a bit sad the Manor second half was brief, I really like its style. The mountaintop is a nice change and its nice just exploring the open world again. I'm very intrigued with all the new lore tidbits and soon I will have to trawl through all my notes and start piecing things together. Very interestingly the finger maiden at base has not dissuaded me from pursuing burning the Erdtree, and even the Roundtable Hold chap says the Fingers are irrelevant these days. I'm also curious about Melina's past, I found a secret knife which may be connected to her. Why does she want to burn the tree, why is she willing to sacrifice herself? Rannis quest is also at a standstill. I must press on and find more lore!

9 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Anyway - I have finally managed to acquire a PS5 , after seeing one in a shop for the first time since they launched, two years ago or whatever ...

I am one boss fight (well, two, technically, but I've beaten the first one a couple of times) from finishing the game. Obviously I'm far from done with it and am already thinking about my NG+ playthrough to get a different ending. 

Should I transfer over to the PS5 version? I remember there was some suggestion, at launch, that the PS4 version was the best way to play the game, as in the most stable of the Sony options. Is that still the case? Or should I be looking at PS4 version on the PS5? Or is just jumping straight into the PS5 version fine these days?

Can I transfer my PS4 version save to the PS5 version? If so, what it the process? Just transfer it to cloud save on the PS4 then install the PS5 version on my PS5 and then download the save?

Or do I have to start an entirely new game if I want to move onto the PS5 version?

I’ve just started NG+ on the PS5 version after playing first time on the PS4 version. If you have a VRR capable TV then the PS5 version is better now than it was at launch (though that’s the VRR update to the console rather than the game). It’s smooth enough in performance mode, but still has lots of visible stuttering in open areas.  Quality mode still stutters all over the place. The PS4 version on PS5 is super silky smooth at 60 fps all the way through. The visual differences are minor and loading is quick on both. 

My rec would be download both versions (time and bandwidth allowing) and start with the PS4 one. Save transfer to the PS5 version is super simple from the main menu but is one way only. So I would suggest then trying the PS5 version for a little bit without making too much progress, and then you don’t lose too much if you decide it’s too choppy for you. Your PS4 save will still be there so you can go back to that one easily. 

1 minute ago, Gigawatt said:

I’ve just started NG+ on the PS5 version after playing first time on the PS4 version. If you have a VRR capable TV then the PS5 version is better now than it was at launch (though that’s the VRR update to the console rather than the game). It’s smooth enough in performance mode, but still has lots of visible stuttering in open areas.  Quality mode still stutters all over the place. The PS4 version on PS5 is super silky smooth at 60 fps all the way through. The visual differences are minor and loading is quick on both. 

My rec would be download both versions (time and bandwidth allowing) and start with the PS4 one. Save transfer to the PS5 version is super simple from the main menu but is one way only. So I would suggest then trying the PS5 version for a little bit without making too much progress, and then you don’t lose too much if you decide it’s too choppy for you. Your PS4 save will still be there so you can go back to that one easily. 

Thanks. That tells me everything I need to know. Sounds like they have balanced it out quite well in terms of making it simple to find the version that works best for you. 

Downloading the PS5 version now, and carrying out some kind of transfer which required me to connect my outgoing PS4 to my upstairs TV so I could have both PlayStations on at the same time, and which is apparently going to take 99+ hours, in order to get the PS4 version onto my PS5.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Thanks. That tells me everything I need to know. Sounds like they have balanced it out quite well in terms of making it simple to find the version that works best for you. 

Downloading the PS5 version now, and carrying out some kind of transfer which required me to connect my outgoing PS4 to my upstairs TV so I could have both PlayStations on at the same time, and which is apparently going to take 99+ hours, in order to get the PS4 version onto my PS5.

I far prefer the PS4 version it's silky smooth except for rare occasions in the lakes or forested areas and there's rain, other than that solid 60fps.

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

I far prefer the PS4 version it's silky smooth except for rare occasions in the lakes or forested areas and there's rain, other than that solid 60fps.

Do you mean PS4 version running on PS5? Or on native PS4? (Or pro?)

Took two weeks of trying, mainly to do anything in phase two, but tonight MBoM/QoR finally stopped uttering that horrible catchphrase.

Though I may have startled the neighbours with some enthusiastic vocalizations afterwards. 

Oof, think I'm at the pain point of the game now.

Spoiler

Cleared out most of the sewers today (not fun, but not terrible) and got to Mogh. Nope!

Also did the top part of the mountaintop and got to the Fire Giant. Nope!

And finally I just did some of Castle Sol and got to Commander Neil. Nope!

Thankfully I still have a few new dungeons to explore and figure out how to get to the lower mountain plateau. But it looks like I might need to start heavily investing in weapon upgrades and points in stats for DPS, because I am doing terrible damage to these 3 bosses. Might be time to get some status effects on the go. Every boss also hits very hard so I think this is going to be very painful! Right now Mogh seems the most do-able, if I can figure out a way to cause more damage to him. The Fire Giant doesn't seem too bad but his health pool is insane, might need to resort to psykik or greater rune for that one. Commander Neil I can beat his minions now but when he goes into rage mode he almost instakills with every attack. Brutal! He may be the last to tackle.

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Oof, think I'm at the pain point of the game now.

Reveal hidden contents

Cleared out most of the sewers today (not fun, but not terrible) and got to Mogh. Nope!

Also did the top part of the mountaintop and got to the Fire Giant. Nope!

And finally I just did some of Castle Sol and got to Commander Neil. Nope!

Thankfully I still have a few new dungeons to explore and figure out how to get to the lower mountain plateau. But it looks like I might need to start heavily investing in weapon upgrades and points in stats for DPS, because I am doing terrible damage to these 3 bosses. Might be time to get some status effects on the go. Every boss also hits very hard so I think this is going to be very painful! Right now Mogh seems the most do-able, if I can figure out a way to cause more damage to him. The Fire Giant doesn't seem too bad but his health pool is insane, might need to resort to psykik or greater rune for that one. Commander Neil I can beat his minions now but when he goes into rage mode he almost instakills with every attack. Brutal! He may be the last to tackle.

Heh, I am more or less at the same point as you with respect to the first two bosses you mentioned. Note that you have to beat the Castle Sol boss to progress to the other area you mentioned. I have to admit hating those kind of boss fights, so summoned my +10 Mimic Tear as a distraction and then lightning spear'd him into oblivion.

I appreciate that I may have denied myself the challenge of an excellent boss fight, but I am getting slightly fatigued and the game is too damn massive to bang my head over and over again at a relatively minor boss. That said, I've still got two major areas left to find (I know how to get to one, but it involves dealing with invisible back-stabbing assassin bastards. I fucking hate those guys at the best of times, but I am not able to summon my Mimic so not sure if I have to defeat them alone or if I can just run away from them.

Yeah this is exactly the point I gave up on Sekiro as well, a wall of bosses that were really hard. At least there's other stuff to do.

Tip for the assassins: try running away most of the time and turning when there's an opening. You can outrun most of the attacks this way.