IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

57 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

That said, I've still got two major areas left to find (I know how to get to one, but it involves dealing with invisible back-stabbing assassin bastards. I fucking hate those guys at the best of times, but I am not able to summon my Mimic so not sure if I have to defeat them alone or if I can just run away from them.

Spoiler

The Sentry torch is your friend here - acquired from a merchant in North Altus just before you meet the Tree Sentinel that guards your entry to the Capital. You don't need to be carrying it per se - just equip it on your off-hand slot and 2-hand your main weapon.

There's also an armour set around that area with the assassin wankers (before you enter the Evergaol) that softens your footsteps which helps a bit, too.

It's also worth noting that when you do kill an assassin wanker, they won't appear again on your next attempt.

So I realised something today about the Volcano Manor crew

Spoiler

I actually killed Jon Snow, he was the last assassination target! I hadn't twigged the name but recognised who it was from the armour descriptions. Sorry bro!

My OCD is I kicking in, I’m currently in Altus but I’m sure I passed on an early dungeon soldier Ish enemy and didn’t put a marker down - all I remember was a brown cave maybe in Limgrave and he just races/scuttles  at you really fast. Not the ball and chain guy. Any have any memory re ideas / location ?

55 minutes ago, macosx said:

My OCD is I kicking in, I’m currently in Altus but I’m sure I passed on an early dungeon soldier Ish enemy and didn’t put a marker down - all I remember was a brown cave maybe in Limgrave and he just races/scuttles  at you really fast. Not the ball and chain guy. Any have any memory re ideas / location ?

The ruins next to blacksmith Iji near Caria Manor. 

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’m guessing his song was Corpse Piler, off the Rivers of Blood album.

You've got a good ear.

Spoiler

Cheesier than a cheese convention on a hot summer day in Gouda.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

You've got a good ear.

Hide contents

Cheesier than a cheese convention on a hot summer day in Gouda.

Good job. Bear in mind that Rivers of Blood has a really good range on it - there were a few times there where you were getting closer than you needed to be. Also, hits 3, 4 and 5 (particularly) of the RoB combo do a lot more damage than hits 1 and 2, so a lot of the time it's better to start the combo early, before you're in range, as even if hits 1 and 2 miss, landing 3, 4 and 5 more than makes up for it.

Just now, Jamie John said:

Good job. Bear in mind that Rivers of Blood has a really good range on it - there were a few times there where you were getting closer than you needed to be. Also, hits 3, 4 and 5 (particularly) of the RoB combo do a lot more damage than hits 1 and 2, so a lot of the time it's better to start the combo early, before you're in range, as even if hits 1 and 2 miss, landing 3, 4 and 5 more than makes up for it.

Yeah, I've mained most of the game with the Fang, so wasn't fully accustomed to RoB. Interesting titbit about the follow up strikes! It's a nice FU-weapon to play around with, even though I prefer the timing and movement in the Fang's Finesse skill. I'll probably go help out some fellow Tarnished to play around with RoB a bit more. :)

15 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah this is exactly the point I gave up on Sekiro as well, a wall of bosses that were really hard. At least there's other stuff to do.

Tip for the assassins: try running away most of the time and turning when there's an opening. You can outrun most of the attacks this way.

Man, don't give up, if anything summon I'd be glad to come and help you with bosses. As for weapons if you want to experiement let me know when you get a weapon to max level and I will come and drop you a whole load of max level weapons to play with if it helps...

Yeah this evening I actually found out what you were talking about by accident, @Girth Certificate

Spoiler

I'm guessing the person I assassinated was another House Haslow member then? Or did I miss something?

Don't worry Minion. After a break I realised that I have tons of options I haven't used yet. I was watching some Youtubers playing the game and they had waaay more Vigour than me at even earlier points in the game, for example, so I can always respec if necessary. I have loads of tears and seeds I haven't used yet. I have hundreds of thousands worth of runes in consumables to use and things I can sell to generate runes. I have found more high level smithing stones in the latest area and now have a good bunch of weapons up to +18 and even one +9 somber weapon. I haven't really been using Ashes of War much except to apply the odd elemental effect, so I can experiment with them and add more status effects into the mix. I haven't been using my highest powered talismans in order to make the game more challenging, that's no longer the case!

Also I haven't been using spirit summons for the boss fights so that could be a big help if worst comes to worst. In terms of my poor DPS against these bosses I'm hoping stuff like Rot, Frostbite, Bleed etc will help even things out. I haven't used any Great Runes yet so I can start using those consumables to give me a boost, as well as the myriad of buff consumables I never use. I don't usually use weapon special abilities (aside from applying element damage to my blade) or incantations that do anything other than heal/buff, so there's a whole host of options there as well.

In other words I won't be grinding away at these bosses futilely, I will slowly upgrade and keep prodding until I start making progress. Case in point, today I cleared a tough dungeon boss with a big HP pool, but I used Frostbite, and those extra damage chunks to him from the Frostbite proc made the fight do-able.

People may think I'm mad for only using like 20% of the tools available to me, but I like this kind of vanilla challenge, and I can always play around with other abilities and playstyles in multiplayer or another playthrough.

Progress! I found a key on a dead body behind a dragon. Opened a door, killed a big wolf then a woman in a bauble. Went up a lift and now at somewhere called Altus. 

Ugh snow area is kicking my arse. Admittedly I was very tired last night but I had a pretty unsatisfactory session.

Suddenly I don't seem to be doing much damage to anything, having wrecked pretty much everything for the past 20 hours. 

It's also very clear I don't have enough options in a fight, despite being a caster, two swords, a bow and a shield (not all at the same time). 

I see messages saying "use poison", or "try fire", and I continue as usual spamming my moonveil special or pebble. That said I do have my off-hand sword I can change the element on...

Last night's adventure

Spoiler

Killed the dragon on the frozen lake. Took a few attempts as the frost attack was deadly, got annoying close each time before eventually getting it. 

Found the Fire Giant, only tried it once. Seems possible but the framerate on the Xbone absolutely tanks when looking back across the map, making the fight much trickier. I've feared this happening at some point in the game for a while now....

Went to a catacomb not far from the massive causeway leading to Castle Sol. I've died so many times :( The two watchdogs under the catacombs were a pain, one of the easiest bosses to face up to now but suddenly they are normal enemies and hit way harder. I got a long way into the dungeon and got killed by a stupid bloody fire pot, their explosions are much bigger than expected. After this I got a bit fed up and kept rushing, so failed repeatedly. 

I really want to upgrade my summon but can't for the life of my find the upgrade to level 8. One of my summons is already there but I prefer this one (Tiche), and now the flower I need is nowhere to be found. 

I've kind of stopped playing this again - the run to the Godskin Duo was annoying me too much.  Just realised a week has passed and I hadn't played it.  Will try one of those cheeky shortcuts to the grace close to the Godskin Duo maybe make that less annoying.

26 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I've kind of stopped playing this again - the run to the Godskin Duo was annoying me too much.  Just realised a week has passed and I hadn't played it.  Will try one of those cheeky shortcuts to the grace close to the Godskin Duo maybe make that less annoying.

Don't forget you can summon anywhere there is a summon pool, not just for bosses. I too was getting a bit weary on the run to the GD and so thought I'd summon a couple jolly co-operators to help me clear out areas I'd already done a few times and ended up breezing threw some of the areas I hadn't reached and it's just as much fun, in my opinion, to spend some time running through with other players. We ended up taking down the Godskin Duo together which again, was great fun and was clearly designed with co-op in mind. I probably would have summoned my mimic there anyway. None of my coops that I summoned were overpowered and it still felt dangerous but obviously less frustrating. Fun is the key, not frustration.

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

Ugh snow area is kicking my arse. Admittedly I was very tired last night but I had a pretty unsatisfactory session.

Suddenly I don't seem to be doing much damage to anything, having wrecked pretty much everything for the past 20 hours. 

It's also very clear I don't have enough options in a fight, despite being a caster, two swords, a bow and a shield (not all at the same time). 

I see messages saying "use poison", or "try fire", and I continue as usual spamming my moonveil special or pebble. That said I do have my off-hand sword I can change the element on...

Last night's adventure

Hide contents

Killed the dragon on the frozen lake. Took a few attempts as the frost attack was deadly, got annoying close each time before eventually getting it. 

Found the Fire Giant, only tried it once. Seems possible but the framerate on the Xbone absolutely tanks when looking back across the map, making the fight much trickier. I've feared this happening at some point in the game for a while now....

Went to a catacomb not far from the massive causeway leading to Castle Sol. I've died so many times :( The two watchdogs under the catacombs were a pain, one of the easiest bosses to face up to now but suddenly they are normal enemies and hit way harder. I got a long way into the dungeon and got killed by a stupid bloody fire pot, their explosions are much bigger than expected. After this I got a bit fed up and kept rushing, so failed repeatedly. 

I really want to upgrade my summon but can't for the life of my find the upgrade to level 8. One of my summons is already there but I prefer this one (Tiche), and now the flower I need is nowhere to be found. 

There's two of the Gloveworts you need in Nokstella, and two more in Mohgwyn Palace.

Those catacombs are a pain in the arse - I died maybe 5 times in there, compared to 0 times on Niall and Fire Giant who people often seem to struggle with.

10 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Don't forget you can summon anywhere there is a summon pool, not just for bosses. I too was getting a bit weary on the run to the GD and so thought I'd summon a couple jolly co-operators to help me clear out areas I'd already done a few times and ended up breezing threw some of the areas I hadn't reached and it's just as much fun, in my opinion, to spend some time running through with other players. We ended up taking down the Godskin Duo together which again, was great fun and was clearly designed with co-op in mind. I probably would have summoned my mimic there anyway. None of my coops that I summoned were overpowered and it still felt dangerous but obviously less frustrating. Fun is the key, not frustration.

yeah - I've tried summoning but nothing ever turns up - suspect my jolly co-op japes of getting tons of lord rings to take me to level 150 might've bust the summons rules.

52 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

yeah if you drop down from the dragon temple grace instead of going into the building (you'll see some broken stairs below you to jump to) you need to kill a few of those knights but then there's a grace right next to the boss

Problem I had with the closer site of grace was that nobody seemed to put down summon signs if you needed help 

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

yeah - I've tried summoning but nothing ever turns up - suspect my jolly co-op japes of getting tons of lord rings to take me to level 150 might've bust the summons rules.

The summoning is glitchy as fuck particularly in the later areas as I think players are just getting summoned instantly but lvl 150 is about right for there so you should be fine, check you haven't got a password set as that can fuck it up too.

Keep in mind that you cannot summon anyone in an area if you've defeated its boss already. There's a reason it flashes that goal message at the start of a co-op session.

18 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Those catacombs are a pain in the arse - I died maybe 5 times in there, compared to 0 times on Niall and Fire Giant who people often seem to struggle with.

Yeah I did them yesterday as well and they're a total nightmare. Lost count of how many times I got splatted by the cat/dog guardians!

37 minutes ago, The Fox said:

There's two of the Gloveworts you need in Nokstella, and two more in Moghwyn Palace.

I might have already grabbed one in Nokstella if I've put another summon to level 8 already. I'll have to revisit that area but seeing how big it is I might just grab a guide. 

Not been to mogs place yet, no idea where that is! 

Makes me feel better that those catacombs are considered difficult! 

I'll never not hate those little gargoyles. 

Oh one last thing, as somebody who hates flying enemies in games - not just this one, all games - imagine my delight when I discovered 

Spoiler

That those knife birds from Stormveil have not only returned, they are now bigger and breath fire. Yay!

11 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I might have already grabbed one in Nokstella if I've put another summon to level 8 already. I'll have to revisit that area but seeing how big it is I might just grab a guide. 

Not been to mogs place yet, no idea where that is! 

The Nokstella ones are right near each other, on the river bank somewhere.

If you do Varre's questline you can get to Mohg's house, albeit some distance from where the Gloveworts are. Alternatively, explore around the Consecrated Snowfield if you have both parts of the Secret Medallion (switch medallion types from the Altus one when prompted at the big lift).

It's definitely worth upgrading Tiche if you can, as she's probably the best summon in the game along with the Mimic.