IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

If you do Varre's questline..

*googles who Varre is*

Oooh I should probably do that. I never used the items he gave me a month and a half ago so he's been waiting around for quite some time. 

7 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

*googles who Varre is*

Oooh I should probably do that. I never used the items he gave me a month and a half ago so he's been waiting around for quite some time. 

Your best bet is probably to go to the First Step grace in Limgrave and turn on the multiplayer activity thing on the map, then go to the nearby hotspot and use the Finger that Varre gave you and wait till you can invade. You need to do it 3 times before you go back to him. Doesn't matter if you win or not, you can even use the other cancelling Finger thingy to go straight back to your world if you like.

Once you're at Mohg's house from that entry point it's a bit of distance to find the gloveworts, but you can do some of it on Torrent.

53 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Your best bet is probably to go to the First Step grace in Limgrave and turn on the multiplayer activity thing on the map, then go to the nearby hotspot and use the Finger that Varre gave you and wait till you can invade. You need to do it 3 times before you go back to him. Doesn't matter if you win or not, you can even use the other cancelling Finger thingy to go straight back to your world if you like.

Once you're at Mohg's house from that entry point it's a bit of distance to find the gloveworts, but you can do some of it on Torrent.

I did Varre's stuff quite late too, about level 75, and I was struggling to find a spot where I could invade, possibly because of my level.  I got lucky once in the middle of Altus, and then twice at the first step / church at the start of Limgrave, so it seems that higher level players are hanging out doing invasion stuff at the start.

Been watching a bit of the big speedrunners on twitch recently.  New favourite seems to be (edit2) glitchless SL1 all remembrances - I really want to try a SL1 character now, they are OP as fuck and it's beautiful  ❤️

Edit - and it's looking like the current record is around the 2hr mark, which is just nuts.  There is a solid 40 mins prep at the start of the run though!

Just done Varre's starting quest and got suitably destroyed in all three invasions almost immediately. No matter, onwards!

I also found the illusive ghostwart 8 plant in the underground section. Now my Tiche is level 10! (Sentences you never thought you'd say...). 

I thought I was being careful exploring the world but everyone I take a step back I find another catacomb. Game feels endless. 

Oh man, there was some SL1 glitchless competition running!!  Distortion2 just managed to get the best time for the competition (by ten seconds) on his last run, with 15 mins left for submissions! That was intense and the first time I've really been into a twitch stream in my life :D

22 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

The summoning is glitchy as fuck particularly in the later areas as I think players are just getting summoned instantly but lvl 150 is about right for there so you should be fine, check you haven't got a password set as that can fuck it up too.

Fuck. I set a password about two weeks to help out someone who wanted to pass on some late-game weapons and equipment to a new character and forgot to remove it. No wonder I've had fuck all luck summoning or being summoned ever since then. :facepalm:

Who was it who said they finished it in here a few days after it came out, and that they were "pretty sure" they'd done all the bosses and side quests?

Just finished my first run - 165 hours, level 130, got the Frenzied Flame ending, because I just could not beat that 

Spoiler

bloody dragon

you need to do to undo it. 

That's with summoning co-op help for the most difficult bosses (all the legendaries basically) , plus asking for help on where to go in here, and looking stuff up in guides from time to time. I managed to do all of the side quests for Rani, Fia, the Frenzied Flame, Dung Eater - and a bunch of minor characters. I expected to find that I must have done about 80% of the content. Surely ...

But now, having had a thorough perusal of the wiki and various guides I'm pretty sure it's below 50%! There are over 100 bosses! Granted some of them are re-runs of others, but considering Dark Souls had - what - 10 or 20? - it's amazing how much this series has evolved. 

3 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I don't think you actually need to beat the dragon, you can just warp to his arena, do the thing

Hide contents

with the needle

and then die.

Is that right? I have my save on PS4 still as I ported it to PS5 just before I chose the ending, so I can give it a go. 

22 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Ugh snow area is kicking my arse. Admittedly I was very tired last night but I had a pretty unsatisfactory session.

Suddenly I don't seem to be doing much damage to anything, having wrecked pretty much everything for the past 20 hours. 

Reveal hidden contents

Killed the dragon on the frozen lake. Took a few attempts as the frost attack was deadly, got annoying close each time before eventually getting it. 

Found the Fire Giant, only tried it once. Seems possible but the framerate on the Xbone absolutely tanks when looking back across the map, making the fight much trickier. I've feared this happening at some point in the game for a while now....

Went to a catacomb not far from the massive causeway leading to Castle Sol. I've died so many times :( The two watchdogs under the catacombs were a pain, one of the easiest bosses to face up to now but suddenly they are normal enemies and hit way harder. I got a long way into the dungeon and got killed by a stupid bloody fire pot, their explosions are much bigger than expected. After this I got a bit fed up and kept rushing, so failed repeatedly. 

Quoting myself...after a pretty miserable session Monday night I had a great time with it on Tuesday. 

First of all, although completing the area, I won't be leaving a positive review on Trip Adviser for Mohgwyn Palace. That place stinks. 

- My main weapon is now maxed out!

- My main summon is now maxed out!

- Completed the Varre's quest, including killing Mogh - he's a tough one certainly, but my winning strategy was to kill him before reaching his second phase, which was easy when using his shackle that I found earlier in the game.  Surprised it worked so effectively but it made the boss a piece of cake. 

- Gained nearly 10 levels, 5 from killing Mogh. I nearly fainted when I saw how many runes he drops!

- Continued potmans quest after managing to miss him following a previous fight. He came in fairly help when....

- defeating the fire giant. Took a few goes trying to learn attack patterns and dipping in and out, in the end I just ran to his ankle and repeatedly swung the sword until he died, somehow I barely got a scratch

- also found a legendary weapon in the capital, though I admit I read that one on a guide

So I'm now nearly level 120, tooled up and ready to tackle a few catacombs I missed from earlier in the game. I'm not continuing in the area I just found myself in. Nope. No way.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

What did you do after killing Mogh? There’s something easy to miss after the fight. 

Oooh. I left. I did wonder if there was something to do with the diving board (or weird 'thing' that he was with) but I was so loaded with runes I was scared to so anything.

Do tell! 

Edit - there are two Mogh's. I know about the secret on the Mogh in the sewers. 

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

- Completed the Varre's quest, including killing Mogh - he's a tough one certainly, but my winning strategy was to kill him before reaching his second phase, which was easy when using his shackle that I found earlier in the game.  Surprised it worked so effectively but it made the boss a piece of cake. 

Ahhh! I was having my posterior handed to me by Big Mohg yesterday. I could deal with the first phase fine, but the second phase was a nightmare. But I'd completely forgotten about his shackle! Guess what I'm doing today.

The shackle also works for (general catacombs spoiler)

Spoiler

making those flame/frost trap columns go up and down. They act as if you’ve hit them, seems to work from miles away as well!

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Oooh. I left. I did wonder if there was something to do with the diving board (or weird 'thing' that he was with) but I was so loaded with runes I was scared to so anything.

Do tell! 

Edit - there are two Mogh's. I know about the secret on the Mogh in the sewers. 

Yep the sewers boss.

Didn't know the shackle had other uses,wow.

On 06/03/2022 at 11:28, Broker said:

80739B71-1FAD-4F74-AB3A-DC9870690C45.thumb.jpeg.b628541bcc4e9c8e8fddf7312f493916.jpeg

I heard a comment on a podcast a few days ago pointing out that this is basically our equivalent of grandma calling any console "the Nintendo". We're no better. :D 

On 10/05/2022 at 10:15, scottcr said:

I've kind of stopped playing this again - the run to the Godskin Duo was annoying me too much.  Just realised a week has passed and I hadn't played it.  Will try one of those cheeky shortcuts to the grace close to the Godskin Duo maybe make that less annoying.

I don't know if you're at the same grace site, but for me the run was just a case of sneaking past the first knight and legging it down the stairs to the fog door. Nobody would follow so you have all the time in the world to summon the AI help.

4 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I heard a comment on a podcast a few days ago pointing out that this is basically our equivalent of grandma calling any console "the Nintendo". We're no better. :D 

Flask of Liberal tears and Flask of Cinnamon Tears :quote:

Thanks for the reminder, @PeteJ. Using the shackle I managed to take down Daddy Mohg.

So, in my buckler, misericorde, light equip load, all remembrances run, I have still left to do all the storyline bosses from Fire Giant onwards, as well as Placidusax and Malenia. 

Had a couple of goes at Malenia, to see what it will be like.

Oof. That is what it will be like. Fucking oof.

On 10/05/2022 at 19:36, robdood said:

Been watching a bit of the big speedrunners on twitch recently.

A guy I watch on Twitch a lot is pretty handy at this.

He has done deathless runs of all the Souls-a-likes including Sekiro.

I've been playing the game for about 120 hours now, I've nearly rinsed NG+ (stuck on Malenia) but I just remembered that I used to hear talk about a well that can be entered which has a creepy boss. I've been under the impression that I'd explored the entire map thouroughly but I've yet to come across a well that I can enter. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be thankful. 

25 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I've been playing the game for about 120 hours now, I've nearly rinsed NG+ (stuck on Malenia) but I just remembered that I used to hear talk about a well that can be entered which has a creepy boss. I've been under the impression that I'd explored the entire map thouroughly but I've yet to come across a well that I can enter. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be thankful. 

It's in the capital and gets you to the subterranean shunning grounds - have you been there as that's not the only way to enter it?

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

It's in the capital and gets you to the subterranean shunning grounds - have you been there as that's not the only way to enter it?

Yeah, I've been there by riding a coffin down a waterfall. I'm pretty sure the well I've heard talk about just got you down to an isolated cave.