IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Why are you still playing this game?

because when it's good - it's very very good and having put about 130 hours into it now, would be nice to see the end.

Friendly tip, I am not entirely sure how long it takes for them to become vulnerable to sleep after they spawn, so be a little bit patient for like 2 seconds or so. I never found a ton of sleep pots (resources) and it'll be a pain if you run out and have to farm that stuff.

You'll know when it's in effect if a purple shaft of light is coming out of the top of them - and then hopefully a few seconds later they'll drop.

Started an NG+ run recently and I'm just kind of leisurely breezing through everything and it's all just really easy. Is this how it's supposed to be? Really feels like it could do with some major balance tweaks. Kind of undermines the exhausting struggles of my first run.

Just now, John0 said:

Started an NG+ run recently and I'm just kind of leisurely breezing through everything and it's all just really easy. Is this how it's supposed to be? Really feels like it could do with some major balance tweaks. Kind of undermines the exhausting struggles of my first run.

While the early game in NG+ is an absolute doddle, it does get tougher as you go on. However, it never gets back to the difficulty of your first run. That was my experience anyway, but I guess it depends on your level/stats.

Never mind, just beat her so easily that I put all my previous attempts to shame. I dunno how many times I’ve tried and failed but rarely managed to get to phase two, and my best attempt ever was about 50% in phase two. 
When I finally beat her, I did it in probably less than two minutes using only three heal potions. I just went super agressive with mimic tear and everything was over in a jiffy.

Love the feeling of victory! Go me!

I’ve been playing through the Leyndell Sewers over the last couple of nights - not the most aesthetically pleasing of areas, but lovely old-school From level design. And it’s delightfully punishing; I feel like I’ve been overlevelled for a lot of the game, so it’s nice to get my head kicked in for a change. 

Is there any point to opening the gates in the main corridor next to the site of grace? It just seems to mean there are more of those big, deadly bastards roaming around. 

Well the gates provide shortcuts to various areas in the sewers so it is worth doing. I had to do pretty much the whole sewers in one sitting because I knew I would forget the routes and where I'd been otherwise!

PS Rainbow stones are well handy for tunnel exploration

1 hour ago, K said:

I’ve been playing through the Leyndell Sewers over the last couple of nights - not the most aesthetically pleasing of areas, but lovely old-school From level design. And it’s delightfully punishing; I feel like I’ve been overlevelled for a lot of the game, so it’s nice to get my head kicked in for a change. 

Is there any point to opening the gates in the main corridor next to the site of grace? It just seems to mean there are more of those big, deadly bastards roaming around. 

I think that area, and another positively medieval area later on, really shows how far FROM have come with their environment design. They've done these kind of levels before of course, but there's a sickening, twisted tangibility to them in this game. Visually and sonically the sewers are so oppressive and claustrophobic, you can feel the thickness of the atmosphere all over you. Everything is so contaminated, bacterial and poisoned.

Then the NPC in the sewers, could he have been any darker? Someone posted his backstory from real life earlier in the thread. Just the fact that he is living down there, in that environment, it's one of the darkest things I've seen in a game.

Wonderful.

I just got trolled so hard (post Capital spoilers)

Spoiler

The spirit cave in the mountains where you fight the spirit skinny Godskin Noble. Just fought him after a few goes and it was down to the wire, a sliver of my HP left, no flasks, no mana. Got in the killing blow and shouted out "Yes!".

Then his big fat bro appeared.

I hate you From :lol:

PS - to begin with I was running around slashing the air looking for an invisible summoning bell snail in case there was one. Am I on the right track or do I genuinely have to kill both bosses in a row?

21 hours ago, scottcr said:

yeah - I'm at level 180, I've got rivers of blood and moonlight or whatever it is.  I've got them down pretty low, but just getting beaten.  I haven't spent that much time on them, I think I'm just losing the will tbh.  I think the game has been great, but I honestly thing it's too big.  For me at least, it's over stayed its welcome and my tolerance for bullshite has almost evaporated to the point where I get to a boss now and just sigh.

What are your stats? Moonveil and Rivers of Blood are pretty opposite spec wise.

The latter should tear them apart if specced right with you and mimic using it.

So, I finished the game a few days back. My first From Software game. I couldn't beat two optional bosses, but I ended up on level 180ish with around 180hrs done in total.

What a game.

The thought of playing something else now seems slightly absurd. What can possibly match that sense of exploration? The variety of locations and enemies? The tense battles and tense catacomb runs? The way you can completely change your build and play style to overcome a new challenge? The way everything seems so seamless and immersive?

Before I started Elden Ring I was half way through playing Mass Effect 3. Which is a good game. I'm now desperately trying to muster the enthusiasm to get back in there and complete that. I know there is a thread somewhere here of people lamenting similar feelings; when I saw that thread a month or so ago I thought it was hyperbolic; not any more.

Anyway, what a ride. I wish I could erase my memory of Elden Ring and experience it for the first time again. I can't wait to see what From Software do next.

@NickCis it the first from game you've finished or the first you played? Because any of their earlier games will scratch the same itch now, I'd imagine!

I can't muster enthusiasm for any gaming after this either! Everything feels so basic and uninteresting at the mo! 

7 minutes ago, robdood said:

@NickCis it the first from game you've finished or the first you played? Because any of their earlier games will scratch the same itch now, I'd imagine!

I can't muster enthusiasm for any gaming after this either! Everything feels so basic and uninteresting at the mo! 

I tried Dark Souls but bounced off as it wasn't hugely accessible for me. With Elden Ring you could just fuck off from a bit you couldn't do and return later levelled up. Are there any others From games that are similar to that vibe?

6 minutes ago, NickC said:

I tried Dark Souls but bounced off as it wasn't hugely accessible for me. With Elden Ring you could just fuck off from a bit you couldn't do and return later levelled up. Are there any others From games that are similar to that vibe?

I'd say Dark Souls 3 is probably closest in that the levels generally have multiple parts so you can do them in stages, i.e failing one part of the level try another route. But yeah it doesn't have an open world, there wont't be anything like Elden Ring in that regard. You could try a new character with a completely different build or maybe go back and beat those optional bosses?

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I just got trolled so hard (post Capital spoilers)

Hide contents

The spirit cave in the mountains where you fight the spirit skinny Godskin Noble. Just fought him after a few goes and it was down to the wire, a sliver of my HP left, no flasks, no mana. Got in the killing blow and shouted out "Yes!".

Then his big fat bro appeared.

I hate you From :lol:

PS - to begin with I was running around slashing the air looking for an invisible summoning bell snail in case there was one. Am I on the right track or do I genuinely have to kill both bosses in a row?

Spoiler

There is a spirit summoning snail. It's not invisible, but is cunningly hidden.

37 minutes ago, NickC said:

Bloodborne is a little bit like this - there are compulsory areas and bosses but there are also some optional places to visit if you tire of the mandatory encounters.

@NickC Bit of a long shot, but have you played BoTW? It’s the only game that comes close with its sense of exploration and adventure. Failing that, go for something completely different, as @footlehas done.

I’ve moved past a couple more bosses and it seems like my chortlesome japes are coming to an end… 

I don’t want it to really. So far this has been the best game experience in… no wait, just ever. 170 hours and the game still does not bore me. The flow and pacing is great. Every bit of loot makes me wonder how to make a build out of it. Just roaming through Limgrave on Torrent now has a tiny pang of nostalgia to it; I’m already looking back fondly on a game I’ve had for a mere couple of months. Would love to see another game topple this, but for now I can’t see it happening. This is it. 

Also fully prepared for the final bit to take me weeks to get past. 🫠

I went back and beat the Valiant Gargoyles last night.  Then, oh my...

Spoiler

I was not expecting another new underground area to be unlocked after this boss fight.  What a generous game!

I've read what people are talking about in this thread, seen pictures of the whole map, a few videos of later boss fights, etc., so I thought I knew what was left for me in terms of undiscovered areas, but I hadn't noticed any mentions of this.  Finding a whole new underground area was a really nice surprise.

1 minute ago, Blunted said:

@Lovelyman beating her can have an impact on your ending, but no you aren't missing much (or anything as far as I can recall) gameplay-wise other than getting her rememberance stuff.

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Thanks!

And a max smithing stone if you did millicents quest line and helped her. If you need a hand I'm happy to jump on in a bit and help out