IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

And a max smithing stone if you did millicents quest line and helped her. If you need a hand I'm happy to jump on in a bit and help out

I've quite a few ancient dragon smithing stones that I don't need anyway, but I guess they are useful to have for NG+. 

I think you're on PS, rather than Xbox though aren't you? 

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I've quite a few ancient dragon smithing stones that I don't need anyway, but I guess they are useful to have for NG+. 

I think you're on PS, rather than Xbox though aren't you? 

Oh right yes I am haha. Ahh well. I'd say they're useful to have if you want to max a bunch a weapons, different builds etc.. so yeah NG+

Hi peeps, does anyone know what level they were roughly for some of these bosses, just so I can get a handle on how much I might need to level up to tackle them, and in what order? 

Spoiler

Fire Giant

Commander Neill (Castle Sol)

Dual Gargoyles in Nokron

Skinny Noble at base of Caelid Tower

I just upped my flasks to have 6 or 7 health flasks too (which fill most of my health bar - I have 2 or 3 separate for mana) but I can potentially make a bunch more with all the seeds and tears I've collected - though I won't do that unless I'm really struggling. 

I hear people finishing most of the game's content (optional bosses etc) at around level 150 or so, but I'm in the low 100's at the moment. Obviously level is far from the only factor but it would be some handy guidance.

About 100 for the top two, I did the bottom two ages ago at a much lower level. 

I guess I'm heading towards the endgame now. I'm currently at the final optional area (I've picked up a lot of spoilers along the way) having not enjoyed the snow area before hand. The town section with the candles might have been the low-point of the whole game. Utterly bullshit boss fight from earlier in the game gets turned into a standard enemy and lots of them. Managed to get through and I'm caring less and less about finding all of the item. Just get me through!

So far the next area I'm making ok progress but they aren't half throwing some tough fights in. I'm keen to keep pushing forward so I can cry more at the boss though. 

Haven't tried continuing the main path yet, I can see why some people tire towards the end of the game but it's an inevitable pinch point where discovery makes way for a conclusion. 

I don't even have anything constructive to add to this thread any more, I just want to keep talking about the game. 

Am I right in thinking that, in terms of endings, the only reason for setting foot in the Halligtree area (let alone beating Malenia) is to 

Spoiler

Cancel the frenzied flame ending?

Do any of the other endings require it? I've found:

Spoiler

Default ending

Age of Stars ending

Destined Death ending

Frenzied Flame ending

And pretty sure none of them required it. 

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Am I right in thinking that, in terms of endings, the only reason for setting foot in the Halligtree area (let alone beating Malenia) is to 

Hide contents

Cancel the frenzied flame ending?

Do any of the other endings require it? I've found:

Hide contents

Default ending

Age of Stars ending

Destined Death ending

Frenzied Flame ending

And pretty sure none of them required it. 

Spoiler

Yup, it's the Millicent Quest and the reward is to give you the option

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Hi peeps, does anyone know what level they were roughly for some of these bosses, just so I can get a handle on how much I might need to level up to tackle them, and in what order? 

Hide contents

Fire Giant

Dual Gargoyles in Nokron

I just upped my flasks to have 6 or 7 health flasks too (which fill most of my health bar - I have 2 or 3 separate for mana) but I can potentially make a bunch more with all the seeds and tears I've collected - though I won't do that unless I'm really struggling. 

I hear people finishing most of the game's content (optional bosses etc) at around level 150 or so, but I'm in the low 100's at the moment. Obviously level is far from the only factor but it would be some handy guidance.

I'd say the Nokron boss around 80-90 but with help as it's a gank boss and you may have an NPC summon available. Top two I'd say anywhere between 100 and 150. Same for the skinny noble. Thing is you can be level 100 and have a very honed build or level 100 with stats all over the shop so really it's more how well engineered your build is, how this interacts with your weapons or casts and having sufficiently levelled up weapons.

11 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

Fire Giant

Dual Gargoyles in Nokron

I'm scrupulously logging all my boss kills, for when I get round to putting them in my journal, but I've only done one of them on your list.

Spoiler

Twin Garoyles in Nokron: Level 81, Moonveil+9, Uchigatana+20. Mimic+10 & D NPC summon.

At my pretty low skill level this was probably about right.  I'd failed badly and given up on them earlier, probably around level 75, came back at level 81, and failed 4 times before getting them on the 5th.  I finished the battle with zero health flasks remaining, so not a walk-over by any means for me.

I feel that I might have a decent shot at the skinny noble at the base of the caelid tower now, at this level.

And finished this afternoon on SX. 67 hours (lvl 150) vs 175 hours (lvl 149) on my PS5 play. I was going to try for all the endings but

Spoiler

I messed up Millicent somehow and she disappeared. As that meant I wouldn't be able to do the "thing" I didn't bother going to the Three Fingers and finished on the Ranni ending. 

Started NG+ and I'm up to The Academy in the space of 30ish mins lol. Going to see how quickly I can get the Frenzied Flame ending

Summoned a co-operator at the first CFA grace, which was good as he basically carried me all the way to the second grace before succumbing to his wounds. Went down a lift on the other side of the temple and:

Spoiler

It was another bloody dragon. At least this one wasn't battering the fuck out of me with ancient dragon lightning but still, I died very quickly. Nice of From to put the grace in such a place that to get back there, you have to run through the temple and aggro all the enemies in there. Meh.

I also used the thing Varre gave me (that I had completely forgotten about), got all the way through with my Mimic Tear helping me in the dark cave, got up to the second grace and then noped out of the boss fight because I had enough trouble with the sewers boss.

Also just randomly going through places I might have missed and using a guide to tell me about hero's grave secrets that I completely missed first time around. I thought I did a decent job of exploring the Fringefolk Hero's Grave but I still completely missed one part with the Erdtree Greatbow. I will go back for it at some point, if only to get revenge on that damn chariot but it's low on the priority list.

Right now, it's back to the Haligtree and inevitable death on my way down.

On 14/05/2022 at 23:08, Alan Stock said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fire Giant

Dual Gargoyles in Nokron

Only done the first two, at 97 and 92 respectively.  +19 Broadsword and mimic tears/shield guys as a summon respectively. 

The first on your list I beat last night. I heard he can be a sticking point so pretty chuffed I got him in just under a dozen attempts or so.

the best advice I can give for bosses, is do a couple of runs where your only aim is to stay alive as long as possible. It’s so much a quicker way to learn the bosses’ behaviours.

also I used my seeds and tears as soon as I got them. I assumed they can’t be used for anything else.  

13 hours ago, Hawklord said:

And finished this afternoon on SX. 67 hours (lvl 150) vs 175 hours (lvl 149) on my PS5 play. I was going to try for all the endings but

Reveal hidden contents

I messed up Millicent somehow and she disappeared. As that meant I wouldn't be able to do the "thing" I didn't bother going to the Three Fingers and finished on the Ranni ending. 

Started NG+ and I'm up to The Academy in the space of 30ish mins lol. Going to see how quickly I can get the Frenzied Flame ending

Why are you playing on both consoles? I’m not being critical, something in my head makes me really want to by the x version and do another run through, and I’ve no idea why. 

if I ever get a steam deck that’s certainly happening. 

44 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

also I used my seeds and tears as soon as I got them. I assumed they can’t be used for anything else.  

That's correct, and chances are if you explore thoroughly, you will end up with several unused Golden Seeds once you have maxed out your Flask charges, which annoyingly can't be used for anything else. You should use Seeds and Tears ASAP unless you want to deliberately make things harder.

Took my first character into NG++

Fuck. Me.

The real Elden Ring Starts here. After finding NG+ a casual romp, I'm getting destroyed by even low level mobs now. Back to being harassed by birds. Massive damage from everything. Even at 60/60 FTH/STR and weapons max levelled I'm completely on the back foot again.

Close to 300 hours now. RIP all other games.

I've restarted this on my laptop while i'm on holiday abroad. Runs really well, although the fan noise and laptop temperature are worrysome after a few hours play. :unsure:

I have 4 builds on the go because i like the early preparation hours the best. ;) Also means if i get bored i can switch at anytime. My main on PS5 was pure DEX, so i've been making builds of various other playstyles. 

I really like the Meteoric Ore Blade on my Mage. I know Moonveil is the go-to-blah-blah, which is why i purposely avoided bee-lining for it (i don't play meta). The MeteorBlade's standard moves are different from a regular Katana, which is probably why i like it so much. Plus the Weapon Art is really good now it has some hyper-armour on startup - great for AOE blasting of trash mobs. I am still early-ish so none of the spells i have are doing anything spectacular, but the ranged spamming is a reminder of what easy-mode actually looks like. :lol:

Glad you lot are all still stuck in! Mainly because there isn't anything else to play that comes close to the quality of this game. 

Anyway, back to it! :sherlock:

Well after about 2 weeks trying I finally managed to beat:

Spoiler

Malekith last night.

I then went straight on to beat:

Spoiler

Sir Gideon & Godfrey + Hora Loux on literally the first attempts.  After my epic struggles with The Fire Giant and then Malekith I found these fights to be easy.

After that it was on to:  

Spoiler

Radagon who again went down fairly easily every time, only for The Elden Beast to completely twat me repeatedly.

I sense another long struggle ahead to finally topple him.  Anyone got any useful tips for a strength based Melee build?

8 hours ago, Waggo said:

After that it was on to:  

Hide contents

Radagon who again went down fairly easily every time, only for The Elden Beast to completely twat me repeatedly.

I sense another long struggle ahead to finally topple him.  Anyone got any useful tips for a strength based Melee build?

On 15/05/2022 at 13:49, Qazimod said:

Strength Build notes (w/mimic+10):

Hide contents

Part 1:

Hide contents

I tried to play a ranged battle and divide his attention with the mimic. I used Watchdog's Staff+10 two-handed and used the projectile skill to eat away at his lifebar when it was safe to do so. I needed to respec for a bigger Mind bar and have the right balance of flasks but it was a relatively safe way of handling things.

Part 2:

Hide contents

By this time the Watchdog's Staff skill was empty (and the skill was pretty much useless in this part anyway), so I went in with two-handed melee strikes and tried to get as much damage as possible between heals. Move behind it when it wants to put flames down, start running when the lasers come down, jump out of the range of the rings on the ground, and roll through the faster projectiles (those Guile Sonic Booms :D ) When you're confident about knowing when to go in, you'll be surprised by how much damage you can get done before your next heal. If you're too cautious you'll miss windows to get hits in and it will just eat away at your resources.

E: oof, the forum software doesn't like quoted spoilers at the end of a post...

Nice one thanks I will give that a try.

After the rapid progress of the last few fights I don't really fancy another slogfest & just want to reach the end now.  I will then go back and revisit some of the areas I bypassed or missed altogether.

I've made some good progress over the weekend (post Capital spoilers) - here's a long tale of adventure:

Spoiler

At this time my roadblocks were Commander O'Niall at Sol Castle, the Fire Giant and Mogh down in the sewers. Mogh seemed the easiest and so after equipping blood resistance armour and talismans I spent quite a long time hammering away, learning his slow but hard-hitting attack patterns. I systematically tried out my best weapons with different Ashes and status effects, but he didn't seem very vulnerable to anything so it was just a straight up battle of attrition. I popped on some Youtube in the background to help pass the time and eventually got him. Thank god there's no phase 2! At this point I was around level 105.

Having seen on here there were secrets to be found down in the basement and with the help of some messages I immediately found the path behind his altar. The hordes of merchant folk corpses and their frenzied brethren. Love it! It took quite a long time to get to the bottom, especially the horrible jumping section at the end which killed me a bunch of times. Melina had already warned me that she was happy to be the kindling and I shouldn't go below, but my quest was to save her from the sacrifice. So I was pretty annoyed that after submitting to the 3 fingers and becoming a frenzy demi god, that she left me and swore to kill me if I continued. Dammit!

An unexpected guest was down in the basement too, the lass who I'd been feeding eyes to throughout the game. Now she was utterly taken by the path of frenzy, I acquiesced to her request and burned her. In for a penny in for a pound is my motto! Back to Mogh's lair I knew there was one area in the waterway tower I hadn't reached, but backtracking a bit I found a path I'd forgotten to explore and that was all the sewers finally taken care of.

Rolling around the basement I found a secret wall with a chest, and then rolling behind that revealed - a whole new area! What?! Into the depth of the roots I descended. Pretty cool. I took my time clearing out ants, making death-defying leaps and getting to ground level. My fire whip was pretty clutch for dealing with ants because of its stagger feature. At 'ground' level I took care of the Erdtree guardian and made my way over the chasm. Past more ants I came to the swampy area full of ruins, really cool place - except for the hundreds of death salamanders - fortunately I was able to kite them around on Torrent and kill them in long jousting charges. I took my time exploring and found the next grace, then cleared out a lot of the mausoleum knights in the area below, and, after a few deadly falls from the branches above, took down the mausoleum. Next I fought the boss at the minor erdtree, a crucible knight who was rather easy on horseback because I knew the moveset so well. 

Next I found the literal branching pathway up the ruins above, dodging fire gargyles and making it to the ledge above. The hardest part of this whole area was this fucking rune bear hidden behind a waterfall, who you can get to by dropping in from above (unless you find it via skirting the waterfalls). This bear killed me a bunch of times in his little cave, what a git. And because my big cache of dropped runes was spawning in the upper part of the cave, I had to take the long upper route each time to get back there. 

Finally in this area I tackled the obvious boss room. I'd met the finger reader earlier who said that Godfrey was here trapped in death, and when I approached the horrible monstrosity before me I recognised it from below Stormveil (still not sure on the lore for all this, I will have to research my notes). I was expecting a huge boss fight but instead it was a rather easy gauntlet of spirit warriors, after which who was there but Fia, just chilling out. I gave her the half rune from the original corpse of Ranni from the divine tower, and  I of course accepted another hug and now I'm a champion of death in addition to all my other monikors. I do find all the death rune stuff and demi-god assassination stuff very confusing so at some point I really need to sit down and read through all my descriptions and rewatch all my conversation videos to figure out what the heck all the connections are!

Next up I did an annoying dungeon full of fire monks and floodlights with those cat/dog statues. I managed to clear that and the boss though it was pretty rough going. I also tried to finish the spirit caller cave in the mountaintops, with the spirit Godskin noble boss, but as I mentioned earlier, I beat him with no HP left only to be welcomed by his fat bro. Now I know what to do, I'll have to go back at some point.  

Yesterday I began my quest to take down Commander O'Niall. I'd already spent a bunch of time dying to the first phase, due to the bastard dual sword knight who just kills you if you get stuck in his combos, and I'd only reached phase 2 once and immediately had died. So I once again did a proper equipping of frost resistance gear and started experimenting with different weapons and status effects to try and make progress. I could now get to phase 2 sometimes but I was still doing crap damage to O'Niall. In the end I discovered my Tree Spear was great for staggering and killing the knights at the start, making it much easier to get to phase 2 and learn. 

Ultimately I ended up using the Uchigitana with blood ashes, which I'd switch to for phase 2 when you fight O'Niall one-on-one. Bleed seemed to be the only thing in my arsenal that actually did anything useful, and even this was minor. But with all the grinding I had started to learn his attack patterns and so I pounded away and finally got victory in a battle of attrition. Tough fight, and the only reason I could pull it off was that unlike many bosses he gives you decent healing windows.

Next I wanted to do some boss mop-up so I went and fought a Night's Cavalry which lives on the foggy snow path from the Capital to the Rold lift. This fight was a pain in the arse because the arena is very narrow and the boss wrecks. A number of times I fell off the the cliffs whilst riding around. It took way longer than I had wanted!

With my newfound half medallion from O'Niall I headed down the Rold lift to the catacombs to Haligtree. A nasty little place where an Octopus immediately cost me 50k runes left over from my levelling up after O'Niall. In the end I used my magma whip and its area of effect magma floor attack to help clear out the way forward, into the blizzardy ice fields below. This was pretty cool. I just beelined following the lights, and took out a few caravans along the way. I'll come back to explore properly later. Into the clear I was surprised to find more archer ladies with wolves like the girl who'd sent me to Haligtree. I made it to the ruins with the sealed gate and spent a while trying to do the town evergaol. I had my sentry torch equipped once I found out there was a Black Knife assassin... and had an epic fight to take him on. But after dealing with this threat I then got jumped by another one - because I'd only seen one assassin body in the real world I'd assumed there was only one! This is a rough area and the arrows from the archer ladies in the evergaol can kill me in 3 hits even with magic resist talismans on. I will return here soon and try to get further. 

Then I went back to the Fire Giant. Although I didn't want to access the kiln until I had done Haligtree I didn't want to overlevel for him. I put on my fire resist gear and equipped a spear with frost ashes. The fights were very long as I did crap damage to him, but I am quite good at not getting hit. I actually got him to literally 1 hit before death... and then got knocked off my horse, and had ran out of flasks to resummon it. In the commotion of trying to summon the horse, I hadn't gotten far enough away and I got flamethrowered to death. I was raging! But I can definitely do it with patience, and that will be the next task before returning to the Haligtree route.

10 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Why are you playing on both consoles? I’m not being critical, something in my head makes me really want to by the x version and do another run through, and I’ve no idea why. 

if I ever get a steam deck that’s certainly happening. 

I pre-ordered the physical disc on PS5 and I wasn't confident of getting it for Day 1. I'd also done a lot of overtime and there was a cheap SX deal via Argentina on Eneba so I bought that in case the disc was late.

Holy smokes Haligtree is tough. There's not one enemy I can't beat but it's just endless difficult encounters that zap the flasks. Slowing grinding my way through, I had particular fun in "oh fuck not those" alley at the bottom. 

Maybe I should be tackling this area after CFA but I feel I'm in too deep now! Must press on!

Spoiler

At the point I'm in the city structure working down. I've seen a huge door being guarded by one of the big tree like enemies but whenever I get that far I'm all out of health but stuffed full of runes.

I've also arrived there tonight and its a bit of a mare innit. At the first boss just now. Thing is I've fought most of the enemies for ages already in other encounters but they hit very hard and are fast. I perfected a lot of running/leaping speedruns to get back to each point I was stuck at so far! 

Also Fire Giant down, took bloody ages, not just dying but that he has sooo much health that every attempt felt like it took 10 mins or more!

NG+ isn't being much of a challenge lol. Less than 3 hours and I'm already at The Forbidden Lands. Only stumbling block was MtFO on the way to get the fiery cuddle who took about 5 attempts. To be fair I've skipped just about everything except the 2 mandatory boss fights to get into the Capital. Can see me finishing this by tomorrow

11 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I've made some good progress over the weekend (post Capital spoilers) - here's a long tale of adventure:

Spoiler

Wait, so the very bottom of the sewers with the Three Fingers connects to Deeproot Depths? Interesting. I did all of the bit that you mentioned coming from the Nokron side after twatting the Gargoyle duo and using a coffin.

Right now I'm at the top of the Haligtree having reached Crumbling Faram Azula's second grace only by dint of summoning someone to help me deal with the gank squads in the temple, and it's getting tough. Debating whether to respec to get more points into Faith for a more honed build. I currently having a weird spread of stats, (40 VIG, 30 END, 40 STR, 60 FAI) and I'm not sure how effective it is.