IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Ah interesting, I've not done the Gargoyles yet so got that to look forward to:

Spoiler

There's a coffin on the shores of the Darkroot waterfalls which I forgot to check out and have tagged on my map, so that's probably where it comes out. Gargoyles is next on the to-do list after I get stuck in Haligtree next.

I've been going dual Dex/Faith build but because I only use healing Faith spells the Faith is only really there for my Faith weapons, so I've got both around 40 at the moment. I could probably respec and take like 20 points from Faith and stick it in Dex and just use Dex weapons if I get stuck on the final bosses with no real downgrade apart from not being able to effectively use the Holy weapons. 

Thing is that the Holy weapons (Tree Spear and Winged Scythe) are my most damaging in terms of base damage, but because you can't use Ashes on them then lately I've been finding un-aspected weapons to have better DPS overall against bosses. So I probably should have given up on them ages ago. I do use my Faith heals a lot though so its good to have some Faith. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Ah interesting, I've not done the Gargoyles yet so got that to look forward to:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a coffin on the shores of the Darkroot waterfalls which I forgot to check out and have tagged on my map, so that's probably where it comes out. Gargoyles is next on the to-do list after I get stuck in Haligtree next.

I've been going dual Dex/Faith build but because I only use healing Faith spells the Faith is only really there for my Faith weapons, so I've got both around 40 at the moment. I could probably respec and take like 20 points from Faith and stick it in Dex and just use Dex weapons if I get stuck on the final bosses with no real downgrade apart from not being able to effectively use the Holy weapons. 

Thing is that the Holy weapons (Tree Spear and Winged Scythe) are my most damaging in terms of base damage, but because you can't use Ashes on them then lately I've been finding un-aspected weapons to have better DPS overall against bosses. So I probably should have given up on them ages ago. I do use my Faith heals a lot though so its good to have some Faith. 

I saw a video on YouTube where someone made a fairly brutal faith build using the Grave Scythe and then applying various faith-specific buffs to it. The skeleton mages in graveyards drops that weapon but I've had no joy with a drop so far. Think I might have to use the silver-foot thing item and any armour that I have to boost Arcane for item discovery and then smash a lot of skeleton mages to try and get one or two. Saw a summons who was dual-wielding scythes by CFA but the summon failed.

About that thing you left:

Spoiler

I wonder if you can take the coffin in the other direction without having beaten the Gargoyles? It would be hilarious for someone doing so and then stumbling into a boss fight with absolutely no warning! :lol:

25 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Okay, i can see why Moonveil is the go-to weapon for Magic builds - Transient Moonlight is just too good! :wub:

It's been my main weapon for about 70 hours :)

I've technically got better weapons but I'm so used to Moonveil that I struggle with anything else.

Smashed Malenia first go last night, probably had ~15 attempts in total including a few at the start that were purely just learning her moves and when I could/couldn't attack, without bothering to buff up. Popped a Rune Arc at the start of phase 2 and wrecked her really, I didn't even end up using a health flask as the cheesy Blasphemous Blade weapon art topped me up when I messed up a dodge on her dive attack.

Sad that I'm coming to the end. Think I'll skip NG+ for now and start again with a totally different build.

My NG+ build is the Cat Greatsword. S Str scaling baby. 

I have levelled nothing but VIG, ENG & STR and they're all at the hard caps 😂
LOVE smashing through the game, while not feeling too OP. 

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

I started using the Magma Wyrm Greatsword after @Uncle Nasty recommended it, and have doggedly stuck with it despite coming across a few enemies that it does absolutely bugger all damage against (dragons mostly).

It carried me right through the game. There are later FTH/STR weapons that are a bit more powerful, but nothing as brutally effective and fun as the Wyrm. Looks great too.

Really enjoying my Spellsword build. :) Level 50. Slowly building INT, so i can use the beefy spells later on.

Dual-rocking Moonveil+6 in RH, and Meteoric Blade+6 in LH for powerstance business. Can't level them any higher yet because of 1.4.02 nerfs to shortcut abusing scenery. I'm also background levelling a regular Uchi (+15 at the moment) in preparation for anything that has damage negation against my magic attacks.

Gotta say, Swift/Great Glintstone Shard spells have made mincemeat out of what i considered troublesome enemies and bosses first time aroud (specifically the rock hard Miners in the various Tunnels, and even moreso those Cuntish Cat Twins that're constantly in mid-air). Very happy to vapourise them with zero effort!

Loving this game all over again! And i'm surprised how many locations i have completely forgotten about. I suppose thats bound to happen when you play Souls drunk. 🍻 

Oh shit! I nearly forgot to shoutout my Skeletal Bandit Spirit. That motherfucker does not die! I swear i heard the sound effect that you normally get when you kill a reviving skelly, but he still got up! Amazing summon early game. Highly recommended. 👍

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Fuck. Just lost 150K runes on the Haligtree.

Got sniped by *that* bastard as I was getting close to the second Grace, then on the way back I tried to take a shortcut via the branch with the giant ants who promptly surrounded me and YOU DIED. 

What made it even better was that it had occurred just after this:

This is the entire Miyazaki experience in a single clip. Brilliant!

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Got sniped by *that* bastard as I was getting close to the second Grace, then on the way back I tried to take a shortcut via the branch with the giant ants who promptly surrounded me and YOU DIED. 

If you've ever lost a large amount of runes in a risky place, put the Twiggy Cracked Tear in your Physick then pop it, and if you die again en route you won't lose the runes (as long as the effect hasn't expired - it lasts 3 minutes).

9 hours ago, Curtis said:

Okay, i can see why Moonveil is the go-to weapon for Magic builds - Transient Moonlight is just too good! :wub:

Get the dark moon great sword and wings of astel too

8 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Yep the start of that area until the first grace is the most fiendish evil Souls-ish part of the game so far, absolutely devious. Last night amazingly I managed to keep 50k souls through the whole thing through to the next grace, and over many, many deaths managed to get all the items and reach all the bits of it - each time having to get back to my 50k souls without dying. It was nailbiting and I had to be so careful clearing out the enemies. I vowed to only use melee to make it harder, though my Tree Spear was handy because the R2 attack and the charge can knock the enemies off the ledges if they're close enough. I even had to wait for the ant patrols to space out because fighting two at once was a death sentence (not to mention their spit attack can one-shot you!). Love it though, bloodstains covering every inch of the place. One of those areas where you clear it all out and then breathe a sigh of relief that you never ever have to go back!

On 16/05/2022 at 14:18, Girth Certificate said:

The last boss was much easier as a magic-guy. Shard-spiral properly mullered the EB. 

Malenia is a different story though :oof: 

And she’s down. Ended up having my mimic Moonveil her while I spammed shard-spirals into her face. Bush bash bosh

then I fucked up save scumming the endings again :lol: 

I found Melenia tonight. Was so excited to finally get here after hearing so much. 

I joked to myself as her intro cutscene played...I wonder how long I'll last. A minute? Two? 30 seconds? Maybe even win first time?

2 seconds. Maybe less. Her initial leap attack took me by surprise and I was dead almost immediately. Huh. 

Since then, two hours later and many many tries, best I've done is a quarter of health remaining on phase 2. I know it's possible but fuck me it's a brutal fight. 

I've tried my first summon (first ten summons in fact) and getting very mixed results. Some players do worse than me, others practically solo until I screw up and ruin it for us both. 

When she rises up ready for that attack I may as well put the pad down. I've avoided it a few times but it's mostly instant death. That, in combination of regenerating health for every hit she lands, makes this one tough encounter. 

8 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I found Melenia tonight. Was so excited to finally get here after hearing so much. 

I joked to myself as her intro cutscene played...I wonder how long I'll last. A minute? Two? 30 seconds? Maybe even win first time?

2 seconds. Maybe less. Her initial leap attack took me by surprise and I was dead almost immediately. Huh. 

Since then, two hours later and many many tries, best I've done is a quarter of health remaining on phase 2. I know it's possible but fuck me it's a brutal fight. 

I've tried my first summon (first ten summons in fact) and getting very mixed results. Some players do worse than me, others practically solo until I screw up and ruin it for us both. 

When she rises up ready for that attack I may as well put the pad down. I've avoided it a few times but it's mostly instant death. That, in combination of regenerating health for every hit she lands, makes this one tough encounter. 

I must have got insanely lucky with her on my original run as I did her on my second go (with my mimic obviously, I'm not a masochist) and I was wondering why everyone was struggling. Since then though have spent a fair bit of time trying to help out others, I say 'trying' as 8 out of every 10 attempts ends with either the host or me dying to her hilariously bullshit moveset that I somehow lucked out of seeing when I fought her. That triple slash nonsense where she picks on you or the ghosty glidey thing she does or best of all, the blood rot instadeath. It's all good clean fun 😐

It must be her health pool when there is 2, sometimes 3, players in there. The extra time it takes means she has more time to spam all that crap. I would definitely recommend just summoning ashes as opposed to players as her health pool won't increase..... and use bleed.

9 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I was in the same spot as you last week. In total I must've spent about 3-4 hours worth of tries on her before I finally made it. When I actually made it I did some adjustments to my talismans. I found out I had the golden scarab equipped, which adds nothing to a fight, and another that negates holy damage (which makes more sense for the final boss fight). After sorting out the talismans, using mimic tear and going all in agressively, she didn't stand a chance. The mimic and I took turns on staggering her and the entire fight was over really, really quickly, less than two minutes in total. 

The most important strategy in that fight is to not get hit as her vampiric attacks is the only thing she really has going for her. 

17 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

lulz, you need to creep about with a greatbow (or some spells) sniping the little shits. Or just try and run past everything. 

I never kill them unless I have to. They seem pretty chilled, huffing golden dust through those pretty sweet looking pipes. They rarely attack unless bumped into which is fair enough really. 

Thanks for the tips on the big M. I'll get her eventually. 

Regarding summoning:

- if I use my own summon, does it increase the health of the boss?

- if I summon another player, I seem to be locked out of also summoning my own one. Is that right or am I doing it wrong?

- can I summon multiple players into the fight? What's the maximum, and does each one increase the health of the boss?

4 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Thanks for the tips on the big M. I'll get her eventually. 

Regarding summoning:

- if I use my own summon, does it increase the health of the boss? - nope

- if I summon another player, I seem to be locked out of also summoning my own one. Is that right or am I doing it wrong? - that's right, although you can summon in NPCs (if any are available) and your spirit ash at the same time.

- can I summon multiple players into the fight? What's the maximum, and does each one increase the health of the boss? - you can bring in 2 summon'd players but the boss health gets increased twice. 

Mimic summon + aggressive playstyle is definitely the way to go. Whenever she's focused on the Mimic you can get in a weapon art or jump attack, then it's just a case of knowing her big moves and how to react to them when she's on you. At the start of phase 2 untarget her and run straight forward and round to the left to avoid the dive bomb, then treat yourself to a Rune Arc and other consumable goodies while she's busy doing her unfurling routine.