IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

4 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Just to get you in the mood a little more, and to balance out the ridiculous notion being aired in here of late that From games would be better without the bosses, here are

The best FromSoftware bosses, as picked by PlayStation Studio devs

8fd7d21e9829f8c20462a65c2fa924132f11cc24

Some cool and unexpected choices in there.

Which do you think are unexpected, aside from Lady Butterfly that's very close to what my own list would be! 

Surprised Sekiro's actual last boss isn't in there, it's the best boss they've ever made for sure! 

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Surprised Sekiro's actual last boss isn't in there, it's the best boss they've ever made for sure! 

How do you feel about his

Spoiler

semi-auto revolver? Literally bringing a gun to a sword fight! That's never sat right with me personally. Everything else about him is amazing though.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Which do you think are unexpected, aside from Lady Butterfly that's very close to what my own list would be! 

It was Lady Butterfly that seemed the odd one out for me as well, mainly I think because I completely cheesed her by just stun-locking her and spamming attack-dodge relentlessly and I recall being really disappointed that it was a strategy that worked and for which she had no counter. Didn’t seem in keeping with the “do, or do not, there is no try” approach that Sekiro demands and I can’t recall any other From boss that has had such a glaring and easily exploitable chink in their AI armour.

On reflection (and looking at it now at a reasonable hour rather than 3am when I originally posted it 🥱) the rest of the list is not too surprising though, I’d agree.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

How do you feel about his

Hide contents

semi-auto revolver? Literally bringing a gun to a sword fight! That's never sat right with me personally. Everything else about him is amazing though.

I'll tell you how I feel.. 

Spoiler

MASH DAT L1 BABY. 

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

can’t recall any other From boss that has had such a glaring and easily exploitable chink in their AI armour.

Try getting 

Spoiler

Genichiro

in a corner. He won't even try to block any of your attacks.

13 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Just to get you in the mood a little more, and to balance out the ridiculous notion being aired in here of late that From games would be better without the bosses, here are

Ooooh let’s all play this game to help pass the time! My 5 in no particular order…

Vicar Amelia

Pontiff Sulyvan

Dragon Slayer Armour

Martyr Logarius

Fume Knight

7 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Ooooh let’s all play this game to help pass the time! My 5 in no particular order…

Vicar Amelia

Pontiff Sulyvan

Dragon Slayer Armour

Martyr Logarius

Fume Knight

Ahem

On 03/02/2022 at 10:50, dug said:

Yeeeeeeees! She's going to Bristol with her sister for the weekend! Meaning I can become maximum slob! I'm going to spend 48 hours doing nothing but playing Elden Ring and ordering takeaway! Then frantically tidying up ten minutes before she's due back!

The timing could not be better.

I'm slightly disappointed because the game comes out at the end of half term week, the Mrs and kids are going to grandparents from Mon-Thurs.. Back just in time for release! 

Bah. 

This is the first game I've actually pre-ordered digitally - because I want all of the 25th for this, not me sitting waiting 'til 3pm for the postman to maybe deliver it or not.

I've set it to pre-load on my PS5, but couldn't see a way to also download the PS4 version at the same time. I'm wondering how much that missing 1fps on the PS5 will piss me off so may switch to PS4 early on - I wonder if the saves are compatible?

Definitely playing offline for the first run through, maybe that will reclaim the missing 1fps

15 hours ago, pinholestar said:

On Android I have to tap month by month back in order to verify my age what madness is this?

Edit: you can tap on the year at the top - man Sony is shit with UI

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

On Android I have to tap month by month back in order to verify my age what madness is this?

Edit: you can tap on the year at the top - man Sony is shit with UI

Pretty sure thats a standard android date time picker man! /dev

Its still terrible mind! 

4 hours ago, robdood said:

I'm slightly disappointed because the game comes out at the end of half term week, the Mrs and kids are going to grandparents from Mon-Thurs.. Back just in time for release! 

Bah. 

Bad luck dude. Although I'm sure if you explain to her just how important it is, she'll be more than willing to take the kids and get out of your hair for the weekend.

43 minutes ago, dug said:

Bad luck dude. Although I'm sure if you explain to her just how important it is, she'll be more than willing to take the kids and get out of your hair for the weekend.

🥲

2 hours ago, dug said:

Heh, given we sat in the living room chatting most of tonight, me on The Forgotten City and her on the Sims, I'm sure it won't be a too big a problem. It's more the tramping it up and not feeding or looking after myself (or anyone else!) properly for a few days I'll be missing out on :D

I haven't done that while smashing a big game in ages! 

14 hours ago, englishbob said:

I've set it to pre-load on my PS5, but couldn't see a way to also download the PS4 version at the same time. I'm wondering how much that missing 1fps on the PS5 will piss me off so may switch to PS4 early on - I wonder if the saves are compatible?

How does this work? You bought it on PS5 and get PS4 automatically? Or you buy it on PS4 and get a free upgrade? (don’t think you could preload in this case…) 

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

How does this work? You bought it on PS5 and get PS4 automatically? Or you buy it on PS4 and get a free upgrade? (don’t think you could preload in this case…) 

The PS Store states "[This product entitles you to download both the digital PS4™ version and the digital PS5™ version of this game.]"

Assumed now I can't preload PS4 version on PS5, but will be able to download the PS4 version onto the PS5 afterwards?

6 hours ago, Thor said:

What's this about a 1fps difference?

Digital Foundry tests indicated, at best, PS5 version got to around 59fps but it fluctuated badly, whereas PS4 version running on the PS5 hits a locked 60

I just wished FROM would ask for help on the performance of their games

43 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I just wished FROM would ask for help on the performance of their games

Sekiro runs real nice on PS5. Hopefully they've been able to improve performance since the test.

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

Sekiro runs real nice on PS5. Hopefully they've been able to improve performance since the test.

Ahh I just thought, Sekiro has no online stuff, maybe that's part of the problem. Who knows.

44 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

Isn’t this all based on an old(er) build of the game? I wouldn’t get too hung up on it just yet. 

Historically, they've never really improved the engine stuff like this between network tests and release, I don't think. 

It's still not worth getting hung up on, regardless.   The best open world game ever is coming out in less than three weeks. OMGOMGOMGOM. 

21 minutes ago, Minion said:

17 minutes ago, Minion said:

Ahh I just thought, Sekiro has no online stuff, maybe that's part of the problem. Who knows.

a) the PS4 version of ER runs at a locked 60fps on PS5 - it's the actual PS5 version that's a bit jankier (but has more shinies)

b) Sekiro does have online stuff! It's very annoying. :D