IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

I think I've cleared out most of the dungeons and field bosses so I have resorted to a guide to tell about things I may have missed. I am wondering if I want to go and clear out the dragons dotted about the overworld since I have bugger all in Arcane so can't use any of the draconic powers anyway. :(

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I think I've cleared out most of the dungeons and field bosses so I have resorted to a guide to tell about things I may have missed. I am wondering if I want to go and clear out the dragons dotted about the overworld since I have bugger all in Arcane so can't use any of the draconic powers anyway. :(

Getting them now will save you having to collect them in NG+ if you fancied doing an Arcane build.  Definitely helps to work out what build you want if you are going to do NG+ and then farm for the bits and bobs you need while you've got "everything" explored on the first playthrough.

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Very much worth it for Rotten Breath. Pretty much an essential item. Arcane can be boosted with gear and a talisman - the Silver Tear Mask gives you 8 points in Arcane and there's Marika's Scarseal which gives a 3 point boost in Arc/Int/Fth.

With those items you only need to dump 1 point into Arcane to be able to use Rotten Breath. Needs 15 Faith also.

Had some tries at Malenia last night, I'm around level 128 now.

Spoiler

Yeah, I can see why she will be a problem! Heal on hit so your mistakes remove any progress. Its a cool idea albeit very punishing. I can dodge her main attack suite in phase 1 alright now, that is until the one time she did that bananas move I've heard people talk about where she flies around doing 5000 slashes. I survived the first barrage of it with 1HP (My vigour is almost 40 now) but then it continued and I died to the second spree. I managed to get her down to about a third HP (solo) but dread what phase 2 has to offer. Main issue is the lack of damage I'm doing to her, the Tree Spear was my weapon of choice which staggers her and lets you get the odd prod in at a safe range, but it does pretty crap damage.

So I gave up on that and went about mopping up some new dungeons and fully completing the area before Haligtree. Then I proceeded on with progress elsewhere.

Spoiler

In the consecrated snowfield I found a teleporter which took me to Maliketh's palace, a place I had been wondering how to get to for ages. That's now on the to-do list. I also killed the mini bosses in the rot lake down Ainsel river - fortunately for the dragon warrior boss I found a switch I'd missed, which raised platforms so I didn't have to fight him in the rot!

The night before I had done the rest of Millicents quest, the rot worm below Haligtree took me over an hour to kill because I refused to cheese it, what a horrible fight! Although I know I need Miquella's needle to circumvent the frenzy ending, I am not sure if I need to use it on Malenia first. Either way, I wasn't going to hold off on my trip to the kiln any longer - I don't want to get roadblocked on Malenia.

So up to the kiln I went, and after dying trying to get down to the kiln a few times I found the grace around the edge. Then a cutscene showed me taking in the flame as the Erdtree started to burn, and I fell into the pit of fire. I awoke in the Crumbling Farum Azula ruins, which unfortunately I'd already been spoiled on thanks to the belfry teleport. I wish they had saved some of those big reveals for the intrepid explorers among us! Still, its a stunning place with all the detail and the scenery, very reminiscent of that area in Dark Souls 3.

I had some fun exploring that area, the regular beastmen don't have too much health although they hit very hard. The giant versions are evil though. I found 2 dragons and noped out of each of those (I've fought about 3 dragons in the past week and sick of them!). I made it into the inner ruins where the knights are, and a message advised me to sneak along the right in a big room to a doorway, which I did and found a grace. When I returned to the room, I activated the much-maligned on here the Godskin Duo. What a bro the messaging player was, although the grace doesn't lead anywhere else I now have a checkpoint right outside the doors! I got close to killing the fatty but did eventually die. I think they will hard but not that bad, after all I've had plenty of practice on these guys! I also found a summon sign outside the main boss door for none other than the recusant knight who I partied up with during the Volcano Manor quest, so I might bring him along next try.

Returning to Roundtable I was surprised to see it starting to burn. Good old From and their burning safe havens. Earlier I had returned to the Alburnaric Village, where I'd accidentally read when researching the Millicent quest that this is where Nepheli was. Sure enough she was under the bridge. No idea why she hadn't been there when I first did the Village, another stupid NPC thing. Anyway here she was in the Hold, disavowed by her father, and I was able to give her the bird ashes I'd found from a belfry trip. She's still sitting there, so not sure if she will appear again elsewhere later.

Everyone in Roundtable is pretty unphased about the burning of the Erdtree, apart from Roderika who wants the blacksmith to leave, but he refuses. Still curious as to why he was imprisoned in the first place. During my boss/dungeon spree earlier, I'd finally found ball bearings for high-level gravewort and crucially +7/+8 smithing stones. I haven't upgraded weapons since before finding the Consecrated Snowfield and I have a bunch of Ancient Dragon Stones too, so at some point I will be maxing out some more weapons (currently my only maxed weapon is the Winged Scythe which I haven't been using much). 

So its been great to get some more progress and see some new areas. Is the point of no return clearly spelled out so I can go back to Malenia when I'm ready? Anyway I look forward to exploring these 2 new areas (Maliketh's Palace and Farum Azula). The end is in sight!

Still plugging along. Finally defeated those annoying Gargoyles. Ran into a room with two Crucible Knights and noped out (but now can't remember where that was). Rykard is proving a bit of a handfull so left him for now (have the sword but have a hard time figuring out what you are supposed to do, where his crit spot is and how to get there when he's surrounded by lava). Deeproot Depths is a nice area, took a while but think i explored most of it. Killed a Golden Man. Finished the tricky Catacombs in Leyndell and proceeded to have a look in the sewers. Met dung boy but got fed up with his foul mouthing so decided to just take him out, don't even care if that makes me miss out on storyline related loot. So yeah, still completely lost and loving every second of it. 

Am i right in assuming the CFA bit through the Belfry is just a taster of the area? Couldn't find any way to progress from that bit. 

Yeah, I've killed every dragon I've came across despite only having sub 20 arcane. Was expecting a tough battle with the sleepy big fella and all his pals but it was all pretty pedestrian. Think I'm deffo overpowered now, should be well into NG+. Just can't help myself from spending two hours firing arrows at birds for four toed fowl feet then another two fighting bears while gathering gold fireflies. It's a problem.

1 hour ago, Sun Tze said:

Rykard is proving a bit of a handfull so left him for now (have the sword but have a hard time figuring out what you are supposed to do, where his crit spot is and how to get there when he's surrounded by lava).

It's a spear, try the Ash of War on it while you're in the room with Rykard. It's a bit more effective than it is out in the world generally. The lava is more manageable than you'd think.

22 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I've run out of steam since the capital. Some of the areas have looked really cool (I take don't like CFA though) but they don't feel like I'm exploring any longer. 

I’ve taken a break from it. After 130 hours or so it was practically all I played. I’ll go back to it at some point.  Just finding Godskin Duo entirely zero fun and after the Fire Giant I was just losing my patience for shite bosses.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

This game is ruining itself in the end game. Invisible enemies, terribly placed bonfires, awful level design

Invisible enemies in CFA? Which ones are those?

This is some absolute turbo-crazy-talk as CFA and Haligtree are the two best Legacy Dungeons in the game. 

Invisible enemies are a PC glitch. 
Only the Dungbeetles with foot prints should be invisible. There’s some guys who phase in and out of existence but that’s it. 

I'm enjoying CFA but didn't enjoy the initial part of the Tree. It was better the further you get in mind. 

For CFA I've just done god skin duo but haven't progressed beyond. Not played it for a week now 🙄

The Haligtree is excellent and then the second part of it was also awesome (and hellish, because the number of times I got knocked off a ledge by the Cleanrot Knight duo in that room and then got stuffed by the enemies below was ridiculous). I kind of wish that whole Brace of the Haligtree section was longer.

Spoiler

I was summoned for some jolly co-operation from the Prayer Room onwards and the three of us merrily slaughtered our way all the way over to the crossbar bastards area, sneaking up and taking out the upper guys before the other summons indicated that we needed to walk up a supporting beam and then jump on to a platform. I assumed it was either a secret or a Grace but in any case, that's where we needed to go.

Except I completely fluffed the jump and dropped down to be greeted with a Putrid Erdtree Avatar and two of the more hardy type knights. Needless to say I died in short order.

Of the remaining bosses, I've got:

Spoiler

Godskin Duo

Malenia

Malketh

Whoever is after Malketh

Two dragon bosses?

EB

Haligtree and Elphael are the absolute highlights of the game so far, they were incredible. The sheer speed you go through a lot of the game is slightly disconcerting - it feels like I'm cheating, or at least not really getting the most out of each section - so it was really great to come screeching to a halt in this bit and have to inch forward with great care, like you do in all the previous Souls games. I almost wish the rest of the game had this kind of pace, where you really feel like you're pushing forward into the unknown and can die at any moment, but it would probably take me the rest of my life to complete if it did.

Nah this Haligtree is shit. All the maze levels are really really irritating. You would expect them to be so,where in the middle of the game but they just lumped then on to the end. Such a shame.

2 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Where are negs when you need them.

The boss complaints also boggle the mind. That's another aspect of the game that's pretty consistant, and a marvel that they got them all so consistant and fun. 

I didnt find Haligtree difficult to navigate at all, in fact it's fairly linear compared to other dungeons. I enjoyed fighting some of the enemies but there was a couple of absolute sods in there. The narrow alley at the bottom of the map is the stuff of nightmares... Ill confess I ended up running through a lot of the last section! I'll probably never go back either!

CFA has been great so far, just the right balance of exploration, visuals and challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The boss complaints also boggle the mind. That's another aspect of the game that's pretty consistant, and a marvel that they got them all so consistant and fun. 

I dunno - maybe we're just wrong?

It's just - for *me* - I've hit a wall and not really that bothered about playing it.  I went from being all I played all the time to 'fuck this shit'.  I think the only other game I ramped up as much hours of play as quickly as this was BOTW.  So that's a massive compliment... 

I feel like it's become a drag getting to the end.  The difference with BOTW was by that amount of time I had already beaten Ganon, probably twice as I enjoyed that boss fight.  It was easy but quite epic cinematically so fun to play through.  

I've just decided to put it away for a bit and go back to it later.  I'm finding Monster Hunter Rise just now is scratching a similar itch and benefits from me and my son being able to play through HR quests together, so that's fun.  

I'll go back to it and probably twat Godskin Duo first time - I have every intention of avoiding Melania though.  

The layout of Elphael is really clever, and hugely satisfying to explore. There are loads of tempting ledges and walkways for you to figure out how to reach. The only negative I would say is that the Tree Avatars are ridiculously hard, and are a bit annoying in the way they spam those golden projectiles. The game seems to be incentivising you to grind them down with ranged weapons, rather than fight them in any particularly fun way.

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I dunno - maybe we're just wrong?

It's just - for *me* - I've hit a wall and not really that bothered about playing it.  I went from being all I played all the time to 'fuck this shit'.  I think the only other game I ramped up as much hours of play as quickly as this was BOTW.  So that's a massive compliment... 

I feel like it's become a drag getting to the end.  The difference with BOTW was by that amount of time I had already beaten Ganon, probably twice as I enjoyed that boss fight.  It was easy but quite epic cinematically so fun to play through.  

I've just decided to put it away for a bit and go back to it later.  I'm finding Monster Hunter Rise just now is scratching a similar itch and benefits from me and my son being able to play through HR quests together, so that's fun.  

I'll go back to it and probably twat Godskin Duo first time - I have every intention of avoiding Melania though.  

Have you tried using any Summon's Ashes when fighting the Godskin Duo? They're kinda designed to have another player or AI pal in to help divide and conquer.

Not doing so is kinda like turning it up to hard mode. 

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

Have you tried using any Summon's Ashes when fighting the Godskin Duo? They're kinda designed to have another player or AI pal in to help divide and conquer.

Not doing so is kinda like turning it up to hard mode. 

I've got my mimic up to +8 - it doesn't last very long though.

In comparison, I fought the two gargoyles - my mimic distracted them while my mace's ranged magic absolutely destroyed them.  Took the first one down before the second one appeared and that fight was a piece of piss.

Personally don't really like Hailigtree or CFA that much. Both pretty linear and don't really feel like I am exploring. Elphael looks awesome though, but it's a bit too similar to earlier areas. 

Some bosses are good, some are OK, some are a bit boring. There's going to be differing opinions based on your play style, build and gear I think. 

I think they also need to make the NPC quests a little less abstruse/obtuse. There's almost no way you could do a lot of them without a guide, which is not that far from signposts everywhere in game. Would personally prefer an inbetween balance. 

There are some really amazing highlights in the game, I loved Stormveil, Raya Lucaria, Volcano Manor and Leyndell. Really amazing atmosphere and feeling of exploration.

The overworld kind of gets a bit old in the latter part of the game, for me. I felt like again I would prefer a bit smaller, tighter, exploration focussed areas.

It's still one of the best games I have ever played. a 10 if you need a score. Some slight tweaks would probably make it perfect.

I think @robdoodhad a great idea about removing the upgrade materials from the weapons. I would tweak that slightly, so that they did scale with your level more, so that you could realistically use them and test them without having to pump a load of upgrade materials in to check if they are viable. Maybe they could have a couple of extra levels that unlock the skills, or increase their damage but it's just one of a handful of rare materials that you can find. So you can try all weapons and then pick a couple to fully max out. 

I also think the grace sites are placed in places that sometimes spoils the flow of the exploration. Too many times I have opened shortcuts that are pretty pointless. 

Another cool idea I just had is that you could have a summon that you can spec out individually. So kind of like the mimic but you level them more like your own character so you can make a complementing build.

Anyway, I think I will try and get this finished this week. 

27 minutes ago, K said:

The layout of Elphael is really clever, and hugely satisfying to explore. There are loads of tempting ledges and walkways for you to figure out how to reach. The only negative I would say is that the Tree Avatars are ridiculously hard, and are a bit annoying in the way they spam those golden projectiles. The game seems to be incentivising you to grind them down with ranged weapons, rather than fight them in any particularly fun way.

The one in the courtyard is a nightmare if you try and fight it alongside the two tough knights, but it can be kited alone back into the grace room which makes things easier.

A lot of people seem to fight the outdoor ones on Torrent so I can understand why they'd be tough if you suddenly can't do that anymore. I never got on with that strategy though and did every one on foot from Weeping Peninsula onwards. I would actually say it's best to stay really tight to them, as their downward swing if you're at midrange really, really hurts. It also means you can roll behind them easier which is essential for the putrid avatar variant.