Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

Also, the map is IMPOSSIBLY BIG.  Keep pushing to its edges and exploring more than fighting tough bosses!  Once you have your steed you don't even need to fight.  Go sightseeing and rob treasures from scary enemies/places! 

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I am finding this INCREDIBLY difficult - I imagine being a total novice to any Souls game isn't helping.  I'm still occasionally getting killed by fucking wolves, let alone big humongous beasties!  I did manage to beat one of the giant things where it's windy in the first area - by far the best thing I've done yet but I find myself running away and trying to find very small enemies that I can bully so I can earn enough to level up!  Watched @Oz video above and I'm not even close to being as good as that.

Only at level 15, and about 5 hours in but I'm persevering with it.  Even though I absolutely suck at it.

Is there a ranged weapon you can find early on?  I've just got my sword and shield and can't do any ranged attacks at all.  Have I just chosen the wrong class?

I would say you're playing this exactly right.  Souls veterans who are familiar with a lot of the mechanics will find it easier, but yeah, it's supposed to be incredibly difficult and you will get killed by trash mobs regularly. The way the battle system works, even though you can get incredibly skillful and powerful, and dispatch the toughest enemies without taking a scratch, any player at any level can also easily be killed by the weakest mobs, especially in gangs, if they lose concentration.  It's all part of the fun.

Running away a lot is absolutely recommended.

Regarding the R1 attack. Pretty early in the game (maybe just after Stormveil) I switched to dual wielding katanas, and I pretty much used the L1 dual attack, with jump, for the rest of the game.  With a bit of a hint of Bloodborne, I think ER rewards aggressive, all-out melee attack in most cases, so ditch that shield and dual wield!

This game just keeps on giving. I've got Malenia to do, and i've just managed to get to Crumbling FA. Took a step back and went and explored a bit more and found a load of other areas i'd otherwise completely missed. I've just completed the Millicent and Giant Jar sidequests, and i've started Sellen's now too, which took me to an area + boss i hadn't even come across till now.

I think i'll finish this sidequest and then go back to Malenia for a bit. If that proves too annoying i'll explore CFA.

5 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

so ditch that shield and dual wield!

Listen to this artistic fool and you will definitely flounder. Elden ring most rewards those who guard, then counter!

Bloodborne aside, I always prefer the tanky strength build who soaks up hits with a big shield.

5 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

ditch that shield and dual wield!

22 minutes ago, Alask said:

Listen to this artistic fool and you will definitely flounder. Elden ring most rewards those who guard, then counter!

Those who don't block get rocked.

Dammit, that’s a much better rhyme!

I do love a good guard counter though, they’re so satisfyingly meaty when they connect. Possibly also because when I roll I just panic roll everywhere which is not how to play without a shield.

Ok I'm definitely getting the hang of this now. Level 24 now - didn't know you could convert golden rune things. Did that and immediately increased valour and strength, so I can now slay those knights in just 2 hits. 

And those giants are much easier. 

Found the beach and the cave too. 

I do like the fact that you can't get complacent though. A few slip ups and any enemy can kill you. Makes you pay attention constantly!

My next target is that tree sentinel twat at the start. Might level up a bit more then see how I get on against it...

19 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I killed a huge tentacle-laden thing at a beach just now by being patient, dodging, and going in for the kill with a double handed sword.

Felt amazing.

There's a trick to these things. This isn't exactly a spoiler, more of a hint/explanation of how things work, but in case you're strictly playing blind and figuring everything out on your own I'll spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

The tentacle things don't really take very much damage from regular attacks (they might be weak to fire or something I can't remember) but if you do multiple strong attacks (jump attacks / R2 attacks) you'll wear it down and if you do them quickly enough / close together the enemy will "stagger" and there will be a part of it that's suddenly glowing yellow/orange. Doing a regular R1 attack into that area will initiate a critical hit that will do massive damage.

Most enemies work like this and can be staggered with successive strong attacks leaving them vulnerable to being hit in their glowing orange special place.

I think this is quite important for the rest of the game and being a staunch sword and board guy I certainly would have found it even harder without knowing this!

1 minute ago, John0 said:

There's a trick to these things. This isn't exactly a spoiler, more of a hint/explanation of how things work, but in case you're strictly playing blind and figuring everything out on your own I'll spoiler just in case.

Hide contents

The tentacle things don't really take very much damage from regular attacks (they might be weak to fire or something I can't remember) but if you do multiple strong attacks (jump attacks / R2 attacks) you'll wear it down and if you do them quickly enough / close together the enemy will "stagger" and there will be a part of it that's suddenly glowing yellow/orange. Doing a regular R1 attack into that area will initiate a critical hit that will do massive damage.

Most enemies work like this and can be staggered with successive strong attacks leaving them vulnerable to being hit in their glowing orange special place.

I think this is quite important for the rest of the game and being a staunch sword and board guy I certainly would have found it even harder without knowing this!

Very useful indeed!  Thank you for the tip.

Nah, trick with the tentacle things is to cut off the tentacles and then go for the weak point! Though if you get caught when it charges its bad times! Even by the end of the game the harder versions of these buggers could still kill me if I wasn't paying attention.

Also they hate fire, so if you really want to get some revenge then get some fire pots/magic on the go. And final tip, they drop pretty handy crafting items, but you can just as easily get them from the baby ones, so ignore momma and kill the babies. That the From Software motto!

On 08/08/2022 at 21:09, joemul said:

Running round Haligtree with my Rivers of Blood. 

Hide contents

There are some magic blue guys who just seem almost impervious to physical attacks. 

Any tips?

So late to reply to this but if they're the three guys sitting around the chest I found that a bog standard flail's spinning attack made absolute mincemeat of them, as it does with most of the crystal enemies I fought.

On 09/08/2022 at 05:09, joemul said:

Running round Haligtree with my Rivers of Blood. 

Reveal hidden contents

There are some magic blue guys who just seem almost impervious to physical attacks. 

Any tips?

You need a weapon that does strike damage (and preferably one that you've upgraded significantly), use the jumping R2 attack a few times to stagger and then do a critical attack for massive damage.  Also, for that particular section you should use a bow to aggro each one in turn. As you may have noticed by the pools of blood all around that area, aggro'ing all three of them is often fatal.

Ahem. I just looked at the date of the original post and realised how long ago it was. Oops. :unsure:

In playing with my daughter I came to realise that in the last ten years playing these I have basically learned another language. I would read something and know exactly what I need to do or chuckle at a joke. She described the messages as nonsense. In short, rump ahead therefore be wary of wondrous chest ahead and then tight spot. 

Margit was too hard I am sure of that now. My weapon was not ready. I should have done that much later. Equally I then massively overcompensated for Goderick. Once I discovered the joy of exploring I just did that for ages before tackling the next big boss. This resulted in “I didn’t expect a weak foe” as per below. 

Over 10 hours in now.  Still to get past the first area.  Found a load of runes, I've even managed to get to the Roundtable Hold which of course means that I can finally upgrade/buy things making me so much tougher and battle ready.  Went to destroy that tree sentinel son-of-a-bitch at the very start.

I died within 45 seconds.

I'm really not very good at this game.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Over 10 hours in now.  Still to get past the first area.  Found a load of runes, I've even managed to get to the Roundtable Hold which of course means that I can finally upgrade/buy things making me so much tougher and battle ready.  Went to destroy that tree sentinel son-of-a-bitch at the very start.

I died within 45 seconds.

I'm really not very good at this game.

Hey! There’s one near the start! Is it this guy? I found him a million years after I had started. 

Hello :) I’ve wandered in here off the back of completing and absolutely loving Sekiro but being traumatised by every other From game. I’ve never went past about half way in other Soulsborne stuff but Sekiro has been a special experience. I love a difficult game that requires skill and lots of practice to get the best out of, but I can’t fucking stand the oppressive slogs that every other From game forces you to endure as part of the gameplay cycle. Sekiro cut through all that nonsense by streamlining the world and more importantly making every single encounter with any enemy fun.

How does Elden Ring compare? I appreciate the combat and character building is more like Dark Souls but does the more open world make it less of a life sucking experience whenever you have to restart a cycle? I want to play it and Sekiro has given me hope it could be a great game and really work for me but my past experiences with every other From game still loom large. Help me lowly Tarnished.

25 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Hello :) I’ve wandered in here off the back of completing and absolutely loving Sekiro but being traumatised by every other From game. I’ve never went past about half way in other Soulsborne stuff but Sekiro has been a special experience. I love a difficult game that requires skill and lots of practice to get the best out of, but I can’t fucking stand the oppressive slogs that every other From game forces you to endure as part of the gameplay cycle. Sekiro cut through all that nonsense by streamlining the world and more importantly making every single encounter with any enemy fun.

How does Elden Ring compare? I appreciate the combat and character building is more like Dark Souls but does the more open world make it less of a life sucking experience whenever you have to restart a cycle? I want to play it and Sekiro has given me hope it could be a great game and really work for me but my past experiences with every other From game still loom large. Help me lowly Tarnished.

This is almost nothing like sekiro except some of the art in some of the later portion of sekiro in my opinion. this is dark souls. You will not find what you liked about sekiro here but I struggle to think of any human person playing this and not loving it. 

2 minutes ago, Oz said:

This is almost nothing like sekiro except some of the art in some of the later portion of sekiro in my opinion. this is dark souls. You will not find what you liked about sekiro here but I struggle to think of any human person playing this and not loving it. 

Can you think about any human person playing other Souls games and not liking them? Or is there something unique about Elden Ring that sets it above those games? 

Quite simply, when I die in it (and I know I will die a lot) will I be forced to play sections of boring combat over and over or have From made something special again in how fun it makes even the most basic encounter? There wasn’t a single time in Sekiro where I felt deflated upon death, because there was never a huge amount of stuff to replay to get where I needed to go, plus once you get a grip on the combat system it’s incredibly fun and rewarding.