IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

22 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Watched the trailer again and binged on a few streams.

It definitely doesn't look like "just" Dark Souls in an open world. It's clearly a FROM game but with its own identity, style and systems. I love how imaginative and creative the design work shown in the trailer is, it's just so weird and otherworldly but also beautiful and intricate. It's pretty and ornate but grotesque and dilapidated at the same time. It's rare to see that level of artistry in games and it's clear that this is a more cinematic production than previous FROM games. This game is in a completely different headspaace to anything else and doesn't have anything that feels formulaic or generic. It looks wildly creative and unhinged.

The build variety is going to be incredible from what the trailer showed and the potential for exploration is headspinning. One of the streams said that the world is just as big again below the surface and that is just what people have discovered so far.

I just can't see how this is going to be anything other than solid 10s across the board.

Edge 6 ;)

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It definitely doesn't look like "just" Dark Souls in an open world. It's clearly a FROM game but with its own identity, style and systems.

I was already getting that vibe from the beta. There are classic moments of blocking and evading and stamina management, but they exist among so many things that feel "new". Things that are incomparable because they didn't exist to be taken advantage of in the other games.

It's not going to be a departure comparable to Sekiro, but it seems different enough to avoid being a DS reskin.

On 17/02/2022 at 22:45, robdood said:

What does question 1 mean? It's basically got multiplayer like all the souls games have had 

Only cross play between ps4 and PS5 I think

1.I've not played them in regards to the multiplayer, I was hoping this would be more like dragons dogma.

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Watched the trailer again and binged on a few streams.

It definitely doesn't look like "just" Dark Souls in an open world. It's clearly a FROM game but with its own identity, style and systems. I love how imaginative and creative the design work shown in the trailer is, it's just so weird and otherworldly but also beautiful and intricate. It's pretty and ornate but grotesque and dilapidated at the same time. It's rare to see that level of artistry in games and it's clear that this is a more cinematic production than previous FROM games. This game is in a completely different headspaace to anything else and doesn't have anything that feels formulaic or generic. It looks wildly creative and unhinged.

The build variety is going to be incredible from what the trailer showed and the potential for exploration is headspinning. One of the streams said that the world is just as big again below the surface and that is just what people have discovered so far.

I just can't see how this is going to be anything other than solid 10s across the board.

Worth remembering that From games are historically bizarrely undermarked. Not in a ludicrous way, just that if you look at their metacritic scores clustered in the 89-92 range you’d assume this was just a series of really good games instead of the all-time classics that they actually are.

Actually, I take it back, Dark Souls 1’s metacritic of 89 is fucking ludicrous. That’s a generational title and everyone who played it at the time knew it, and in when comparing to other games released in the same year it has the same review average as LA Noire and was apparently not as good as Gears of War 3.

15 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Overview trailer:

QBKvS1.gif

Fucking wow!

This is the most footage I've seen of the game and I am now even more hyped than I previously was (which was very fucking hyped indeed). This has brought an actual lump to the throat and gotten me so psyched up I am going to have to have an excited pace to the kitchen and back to calm me down.

9 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

my copy has shipped!

4 hours ago, kempstar said:

From where?

The moon?! 

Somewhere in CA I would hazard a guess which means I should probably order from them as well asap. 

On 19/02/2022 at 00:52, robdood said:

Argh. My turn for 'things to go wrong just in time for Elden Ring'. 

My PC has started just shutting itself off for no good reason.  Yay!  No idea what's causing it.  Seems to only happen when connected to TV in living room, which is mad weird. 

Bit of an aside, but there was the issue with nvidea cards where some dual screen setups would blackscreen for variable amounts of time every now and then - mine was always a brief couple of seconds but I'm fairly sure I heard of more severe cases. Got fixed with the latest drivers as far as I can see, although in any case they're also putting out game-ready drivers for elden ring, so probs worth an update regardless.

Also, on-topic, I'm not really a day-one person anymore, not least due to the backlog I have to go through, buuuuut I am starting to get pretty hype about this. Though I've still not played DS3 or Sekiro yet, and that seems ...wrong. 

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

Worth remembering that From games are historically bizarrely undermarked. Not in a ludicrous way, just that if you look at their metacritic scores clustered in the 89-92 range you’d assume this was just a series of really good games instead of the all-time classics that they actually are.

Actually, I take it back, Dark Souls 1’s metacritic of 89 is fucking ludicrous. That’s a generational title and everyone who played it at the time knew it, and in when comparing to other games released in the same year it has the same review average as LA Noire and was apparently not as good as Gears of War 3.

I think a lot of that is to do with the experience of playing a game like this for review, without the community input that's a big part of it, and perhaps with fairly limited time. With Dark Souls specifically, I'd imagine there were more reviewers who didn't know exactly what they were getting into. (Personally, I tend to find these games grow on me after the first play through, so I can see how a review process wouldn't bring them out in the best light.)

And even if later games have been reviewed more by From/Souls fans, because they're built to appeal to certain types of players and not others, there are always going to be reviewers that don't click with them.

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

I watched some of the streamers who got to play this yesterday and, oh boy, if you think it's gonna be easier you better get your big boy pants on.

Yeah. For all the talk of accessibility and being less hostile, from the streams I've watched this game is not shy about kicking the absolute hell out of you. Even mid level bosses and lesser enemies are aggressive and unforgiving. The way enemies protect buildings and paths is relentless.

One streamer that I watched was attempting to gain access to a castle, but the layers of defences were like a boss rush with no breathers. Forget it if you think this is going to be Easy Souls. This game will snuff you out in seconds.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Yeah. For all the talk of accessibility and being less hostile, from the streams I've watched this game is not shy about kicking the absolute hell out of you. Even mid level bosses and lesser enemies are aggressive and unforgiving. The way enemies protect buildings and paths is relentless.

One streamer that I watched was attempting to gain access to a castle, but the layers of defences were like a boss rush with no breathers. Forget it if you think this is going to be Easy Souls. This game will snuff you out in seconds.

*shits pants*

im bad at games

Anyone else thinking of getting this on PS4? My PC is at pretty much the exact recommended spec for Sekiro, and might struggle to run this unless I turn off a lot of flashies, so I figure I might as well go with an off-the-peg setup. I don't care about most Digital Foundryish technical considerations, and a capped 30fps framerate and some missing geographical detail has got to beat a constant losing battle for the best of everything, no?

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

I watched some of the streamers who got to play this yesterday and, oh boy, if you think it's gonna be easier you better get your big boy pants on.

Hahah wonderful. I've played several hours of Bloodborne and none of the other games but have this ordered. This is going to be an experience.