IGNORED

Elden Ring - chortlesome japes

Broker

As you mentioned Deerokus, there definitely is a certain cartooniness to the faces, which is fine when there is some anatomical exaggeration (fore arms, shoulders, waists etc), but the characters look human and damn near real, apart from their faces. I am sure it is a design decision to avoid uncanny valley, but falls into it unfortunately. 

They’re so earnest and talk bollocks on Horizon. For all the ‘lore’ in From games, you’re barely ever out of the action. You can get your head severed at any moment. The first 10 hours of Horizon is cartwheeling through meadows talking shite.

I think it started with uncle nasty calling Horizon shite which just annoyed the people who are actually enjoying it. Which is what it’s all about, you know, enjoying the games you’re playing. Comparison is the thief of joy. 

Well despite having Horizon to play (and enjoying it immensely) and having played every souls game and hit a wall where my skills are inadequate I’ve spent my MS points to get this for £10. 
 I expect as usual I’ll love the world and get frustrated about 10 hours in after having my arse handed to me by a boss everyone in here claims is simple. 

7 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Well despite having Horizon to play (and enjoying it immensely) and having played every souls game and hit a wall where my skills are inadequate I’ve spent my MS points to get this for £10. 
 I expect as usual I’ll love the world and get frustrated about 10 hours in after having my arse handed to me by a boss everyone in here claims is simple. 

I’d hate it if I found these games easy to be honest. You’d be robbed of the immense satisfaction you get from conquering what’s on offer.

10 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Hello Ry. From the streams I've watched it does look excellent, yes.

I genuinely thought you had the game early or were reviewing it. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

I genuinely thought you had the game early or were reviewing it. 

I thought he must work for From. It’s the most enthusiastic I’ve ever seen anyone over a game.

The main thing that excites me is that you can, I believe, explore a lot of the map without taking out any of the big ‘Legacy Dungeon’ bosses. If true, that’s certainly my plan. Explore the world as much as I can, level up, find loads of minibosses, toys and tools, then try the first of the big boys. And if I struggle for too long to do that with just summons, I’ll call in a co-op partner to help out.

PS5 here; I don’t have an Xbox and my desktop is between the minimum and recommended so I’m not optimistic about picking it up on Steam.

(I know that the PS4 game on PS5 will have better performance, but I’m only really bothered about frame rates for things like fighting games, character action, racers etc.)

Ahh. Just pre ordered for the PC on CDKEYS, never pre ordered a Steam game on anything but Steam itself before. I thought it would be an instant key that I could redeem immediately on Steam and so preload, nope, get the key on day of release. Not the end of the world but for the sake of a few quid I'd rather have it good to go when it unlocks.

Bugger.

16 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

(I know that the PS4 game on PS5 will have better performance, but I’m only really bothered about frame rates for things like fighting games, character action, racers etc.)

isn’t the perf issue on the PS5/Series X a matter of it dipping to 59fps from 60?  

10 minutes ago, geldra said:

isn’t the perf issue on the PS5/Series X a matter of it dipping to 59fps from 60?  

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry:

Is Elden Ring at 60fps viable on any machine? Yes, but there's a catch. Sadly even with the frame-rate mode on current-gen machines we're still falling short of a full 60fps. Both modes run unlocked, leaving quality mode in a bit of a 30-40fps no man's land on PS5 and Series X, and more towards the 30fps end on Series S. We'd really like to see a consistent 30fps lock here with consistent frame-pacing but as this does not appear to be a feature of the engine to date, we may be hoping for too much from final code.

Meanwhile, the frame-rate mode can't quite hit 60fps on any system: it's 45-60fps on PS5, typically slightly lower on Series X, and lower still on Series S. Based on the network code at least, the Sony platform offers mostly higher performance levels (though Series X can have its moments too), a smidgen of extra resolution and faster loading times. It'll be interesting to see if From Software can improve showings across the board here as a consistent 60fps makes a big difference. That is, unless you have a Series X with a VRR display, which should smooth out its issues in the frame-rate mode.

There is an interesting wrinkle to the performance situation, however. Running the PS4 Pro version of the network test on a PlayStation 5 gets you that coveted, locked 60fps that the native app currently does not offer. Visuals are downgraded to Pro settings of course: worse foliage and a reconstructed 1800p image being the two big points. Even so this is the most stable way to achieve 60fps on console based on this build. However, this forces a choice from the player: it's highly unlikely that save games will be interchangeable between the PS4 and PS5 app (it's certainly not the case in the network test). Losing so many next-gen features - including slower loading speeds than the PS5 native app - to claw back 60fps performance is a big compromise, though arguably some will gladly take it. We're more hopeful of improvements to frame-rates in time for launch, but in the busy spots we've seen so far, that may be too much to ask - in which case, all eyes will be on the PC version.

This was in November, so not sure what has changed since. But knowing From Software, they deliver a shoddy engine again... they should just outsource it. The only Souls game that runs decent on console is Demon Souls (BluePoint Games) which was rebuilt from the ground up. 

7 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

This was in November, so not sure what has changed since. But knowing From Software, they deliver a shoddy engine again... they should just outsource it. The only Souls game that runs decent on console is Demon Souls (BluePoint Games) which was rebuilt from the ground up. 

This has probs been asked a billion times already but eh…. If you buy the PS5 disc ver does it allow you to install the PS4 if you wanted to?  Or do you only have the option of both with the PS4 ver? 

11 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Hmm that changes things a bit, I might go Xbox and use VRR. 

I've got a PS5 arriving on Friday and Series X.... conflicted whether to go digital on Xbox and save a bunch o' cash or spend get the PS4/5 + bonus tat disc edition.

Reposting in case anyone missed it: *Players who purchase the PlayStation®4 version can upgrade for free to the PlayStation®5 version. Please note that players who purchase the physical disc version of the game cannot upgrade on the PS5™ Digital Edition, as it does not have a disc drive. Players who purchase the digital version for PS5™ on the PlayStation™Store can also download the PS4™ at no additional cost. 

Edit: @geldra

7 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I've got a PS5 arriving on Friday and Series X.... conflicted whether to go digital on Xbox and save a bunch o' cash or spend get the PS4/5 + bonus tat disc edition.

Reposting in case anyone missed it: *Players who purchase the PlayStation®4 version can upgrade for free to the PlayStation®5 version. Please note that players who purchase the physical disc version of the game cannot upgrade on the PS5™ Digital Edition, as it does not have a disc drive. Players who purchase the digital version for PS5™ on the PlayStation™Store can also download the PS4™ at no additional cost. 

They couldn’t have made more of a mess of that if they tried.

15 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Soooo, can I stick the PS5 disc in my PS5 and select to download the PS4 ver?  Or do I need the PS4 disc in the PS5 so I can download either?  

(this is a legit shitshow on Sony’s behalf.)

22 minutes ago, geldra said:

This has probs been asked a billion times already but eh…. If you buy the PS5 disc ver does it allow you to install the PS4 if you wanted to?  Or do you only have the option of both with the PS4 ver? 

I'm not sure about PS5 to PS4. But there's no disadvantage to buying the PS4 version, as it's a free upgrade.