Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now

Broker

Finally found some more smithing stones and a better shield. Crazy never-ending, constantly unraveling area I’m in now is giving me that good old feeling that I’m somewhere I shouldn’t be yet, but it was accessible from the very start of the game! Madness. I’m torn between pressing on and yoinking loot, and heading back where it’s “safe”. Woke up a huge boss and noped out for now. 

I just spent hours on a very long journey. It all started when I wanted a ball-bearing. Don't ask why. It's a spoiler. I just wanted it really badly.

It's in a cave. In an area I hadn't been to before. It turns out I needed to use a lift to get there. To switch on the lift I needed two items. One was a place I'd already looked at so I went and got it. The other took a bit longer but eventually done.

Then to get to the lift I needed to kill a boss. To get to the boss I needed a key. I went and got the key. Then I needed to get to the boss. This took quite a few goes and involved a very grumpy mini-boss. 

Eventually I got to the boss and with the help of a mad lad with a giant anchor the boss went down (Well worth killing this boss btw. Very useful). I made my way to the lift and after taking a really big ball to the face I eventually got to the new area. I managed to get to the cave and finding the chest was surprisingly easy after that.

I now have a very useful ball bearing and somehow I've lost 5 hours.

I am so, so bad at this game. Still haven’t beaten Margit. But it really is very good. I’m slowly learning the systems with the help of some early guides. I’m getting better at not rushing in with attacks and just being patient instead, but some enemies are great at getting through my stamina meter with a barrage of attacks. I’m much better at guarding and doing the guard counter than timing my rolling correctly at this point. I’m trying to build up a small repertoire of magic - my confessor now has a staff, but mostly relies on his initial sword for fighting which is currently +2. +3 is three smithing stones away, and I’ve cleared out the early spots mentioned in guides. I could get into using bows, but the cost of arrows is annoying and I don’t get enough crafting materials out in the world to make my own reliable supply.

Anyway, this is the first From game I think I’m properly into despite my lack of skill. It helps that when I get stuck I can just go somewhere else - aside from that time I got transported halfway across the map and ended up having to leg it to a Site of Grace in order to be allowed to leave… there were some horrible centipede-like enemies that were disgusting and very hard to kill, so after many goes at trying to clear the cave I just ran! I then noped out of the nearby boss encounter and warped to a place I knew.

Defeating Margit seems a long way away still. I’ve only got him down to half a bar so far.

10 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Gold tinged excrement is my favourite item in a game ever. 

Going to start using it to describe something flashy but disappointing. “Wow these special edition earphones look like some gold-tinged excrement”. Or something.

12 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I've just had my proper jaw open because of something I found purely through exploring. I was going through some woods, found this structure, there was a lift inside that took me down and it took Elden Ring which before was just an immaculate open world souls game to something transcendent as a virtual explorer of worlds. When Mario 64 first came out here I remember seeing a video of Mario running around outside the castle and I imagined that navigating these 3D worlds would surprise and shock me in a way I've never had with games before. Then OOT came out and mixed fantasy and wonder in to that and while this lift was going down and I saw teases of this vast incredible new location not knowing how large, vast and imaginative it would be I had that shiver again (which as good as BOTW was, it didn't extract out of me).

God damn Miyazaki.

Just did the same bit - it was stunning, and also made me hope this will have some of the verticality that made the first dark souls so special.

So far I am coming up to 15 hours in,  with the castle boss finally done. It’s amazing obviously, and it’s no bad thing at all but it was striking how it immediately transitioned into dark souls 4 the moment you got to the castle.

By the way, is anyone else getting dark souls 2 vibes from the general atmosphere? Maybe it’s the more sprawling setting or the lighter colours in the art style, but it really reminds me of it in places ( although is a far better game).

32 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Finally found some more smithing stones and a better shield. Crazy never-ending, constantly unraveling area I’m in now is giving me that good old feeling that I’m somewhere I shouldn’t be yet, but it was accessible from the very start of the game! Madness. I’m torn between pressing on and yoinking loot, and heading back where it’s “safe”. Woke up a huge boss and noped out for now. 

Yeah, if you are still down there then I ran around looting as much as I could before warping back out. 

16 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I've just had my proper jaw open because of something I found purely through exploring. I was going through some woods, found this structure, there was a lift inside that took me down and it took Elden Ring which before was just an immaculate open world souls game to something transcendent as a virtual explorer of worlds. When Mario 64 first came out here I remember seeing a video of Mario running around outside the castle and I imagined that navigating these 3D worlds would surprise and shock me in a way I've never had with games before. Then OOT came out and mixed fantasy and wonder in to that and while this lift was going down and I saw teases of this vast incredible new location not knowing how large, vast and imaginative it would be I had that shiver again (which as good as BOTW was, it didn't extract out of me).

God damn Miyazaki.

Yeah, I think that is the place @Davros sock drawer mentioned earlier and which I also found this afternoon. It is astonishing hey? 

I've got a fancy dagger now as my melee option and it comes with quickstep bundled in which is handy (could not see the benefit if the short sword skill at all).  Getting my ass whipped regularly in storm castle but making slow progress.  Even fighting 

Spoiler

Giant tin men on the bridge 

Is interesting because of the dude at the back.

I am hooked on the way this game lures you to explore some new area and keep getting distracted with a new adventure to go on and something else cool to explore. I've still not killed Magrit but have gone off on a long trip to the south looking for some new weapons for my astrologer which then turned into a whole mini quest around some ruined towers.

Really enjoying the magic in this one. Rapier in my right hand for the stabby stuff, staff in the left. Basically feel like Gandalf.

40 minutes ago, Uzi said:

God damn Miyazaki.

I was like "Oh cool, were going underground. That's rad." And then the lift kept going.

And going.

And going.

:wub:

Still not upgraded anything (just endurance a couple of times) but pushed forward anyway in the location I was transported to. I’ve unlocked loads and loads of Grace points and another map fragment. Multiple huge Dragons are everywhere along with giant Cerberus style dogs. Discovered the end of the world and some hidden powerful items. Have just managed to navigate up and climb the Devine Tower of Caelid whilst leaving directions for other players, so they can make it to the top too. I’m now getting appraisals out my wazoo! Lol

Having  been playing for 20hrs, not upgraded anything and mainly just been wandering in tougher parts of the game I’ve discovered I’ve collected about 60 Golden Rune items, over 30 Smithing Stones, loads of Rune Arcs, new flasks, numerous upgrades for the flasks, 100s of crafting items, loads of Ashes of War etc 

Pretty sure if I start upgrading my character now, he’ll be an absolute beast! Going to leave it for now though and see how far I can travel and what I can do as is. :)

On 27/02/2022 at 18:04, sid said:

This is the best game I’ve ever played

I think it just might be mine too.  I'm completely in love with the game and just want to dive back in whenever I'm doing something else that I need to.  Going for a walk IRL earlier, I made the point of walking along this 'secret path' I know - very natural looking with trees, dirt and undulation etc. I was spotting the odd flower here and there thinking, no I don't need to collect that do I.

This Game.

15 hours in. Had a shot at Margaret but instead I've been off exploring. It's huge! I ended up going down a well which is in fact a huge subterranean hell, full of melt clay people. I reckon it'll be another week at this rate until I feel the need to go back to the "main" story.

Oh, anyone else get jumped by what seems like a Scottish dog/terrier crossed with a hell hound?

Currently rocking a Greatsword of punting people high into the air and what I'm calling my Lady Maria - a katana of bleeding with the ashes of war bleeding effect on it. I've spent a happy few hours tippy toeing around unleashing fountains of red death and giggling like a boss in Bloodborne.

Best. Game. Ever.

I've spent all afternoon in Stormveil Castle. It's massive and labyrinthine and absolutely full of hard as nails enemies.  I got lost a couple of times, but I'm slowly getting my bearings now - I took the discreet entrance, so I haven't visited the main gate (although I've peered upon it with horror from the rooftops) but it's been a fantastic area - one of my favourites in any From game. I've met a giant sword-wielding crab enemy that's kicking my ass, so I'll come back to him later.  The enemies in general have been given newly impressive aerial capabilities that make them very dangerous and unpredictable.

I can't wait to find this giant lift to hell everyone keeps talking about!

I love how this game rewards platforming.

Spoiler

I just got a 'memory stone' (increases spell slots,  I think) from a chest after dicking around climbing to the top of a small church/shrine. It wants you to do all of the things that appeared as merely accidental tricks in previous games.

Also, I need to remember to put points into vig. I neglect it in every souls game, and I'm lucky if I survive one hit from a miniboss...

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now