Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now

Broker

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

An upgraded bow is pretty powerful. My Pulley Bow is at +7 and the L2 Mighty Shot skill can one shot lots of mid-level mobs. If a boss is distracted by a summon you can definitely chip away with arrows from a distance. I'm sure it doesn't apply to all bosses, but it was effective here (this was a Longbow at +6 I think):

I didn't even know about the Mighty Shot at that point, and those were just bog standard arrows.

Dude!  Use jump shots more often, they come out so fast compared to standing! :)

1 minute ago, joemul said:

What the hell is the Mighty Shot? I’m rocking a +6 Horned Bow currently. 

It's a bow weapon art that some bows have (or you can put on at the blacksmith/bonfire). 

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

An upgraded bow is pretty powerful. My Pulley Bow is at +7 and the L2 Mighty Shot skill can one shot lots of mid-level mobs. If a boss is distracted by a summon you can definitely chip away with arrows from a distance. I'm sure it doesn't apply to all bosses, but it was effective here (this was a Longbow at +6 I think):

I didn't even know about the Mighty Shot at that point, and those were just bog standard arrows.

thats a lot of effort compared to sorcery!

I think instead of starting a brand new character, I'm going to use a larval tear and respect from my 80 INT character into a 80 FAITH one. Some of the faith gear I picked up looked really good, but not sure if I have the patience to do another 40-50 hour run-through fresh to get all the spells and upgrade materials to get everything to plus 10 and my character to lv 150 just to cause havoc.

Since at end game you basically have access to all sombre and normal smithing stones, grave and ghost glovewarts from the bell maiden its probably the best time to re-spec ands then start new game plus instead of playing your current build all over again! 

Just now, Triple A said:

But are you not already?  Confused.com

Sorry, poor atempt at a joke. The only downside I can see is that you might not want to go round murdering everyone? I know it's a bit of a souls tradition though!

I have to say I'm very disappointed in all the 10/10 reviews this has got. All of the reviewers literally cannot have had enough time to really explore the game and uncover everything in it, and to really get to grips with the game to evaluate it properly.

What I'm saying is it's a 20/10 game.

1 minute ago, Number 28 said:

If you kept all the bell bearings, could you hand them over to the twin maiden husks immediately in NG+? It's probably one of the items you lose, like the medallions right?

I don't think they carry over but I'm not in NG+ yet so can't confirm personally.

I seem to get into a bit of a routine with this, where I'll explore part of the world for a few hours, figuring out how to get somewhere, then finally when the location reveals itself it will be 11.30pm, so I'll think ah I'll just quickly check it out before bed, it's right there. Then at 3am I'm still battling various monstrosities, uncovering clever shortcuts and lamenting my tired brain causing me to slip and fall to the loss of 100000 souls/runes.

Even if you are higher levelled than is expected in some areas, the game is designed in such a way that even if individual enemies appear weaker, if they all gang up on you or you get caught by a trap it's still curtains. And in some cases the environment itself is your enemy, which levels don't help with. It's also easy to get complacent, as even if you can kill things in one hit even at later levels a lot of bigger enemies even of lower levels can still one-shot a tired player.

I also just adore how openly confident the game is that players will find so many very secret areas on their own:

Spoiler

For example up Mount Gelmir

Spoiler

Volcano Manor

Spoiler

And how to get in. I naturally assumed joining them when talking to the woman next to the massive fuck off knight bodyguard would be what got me into the place proper, as it didn't start like a traditional dungeon with the non aggression aura etc. But after doing a few "hits" and then poking around in the rooms around those NPCs

Spoiler

I found another, much more secret way in anyway. Maybe she just tells you about it after helping her, I dunno. But what I do know is I felt like a genius.

Incredible game.

Also, funny thing about MP messages:

Spoiler

so far none of them have spoiled any secrets for me, as the sheer number of "liar ahead" ones dwarfs the number of any that would genuinely help you find things. It's like a self policing community.

45 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Wondering: do people routinely execute merchants for their bell bearings or not? There must be a hidden downside surely?

Those merchants are something important to do with the story, I can smell it.  They are.. weird.  The lore of this game is going to be mad cool.  I'm actually going to try and piece things together myself at the end of the game before watching any lore vids, never done that before! 

The first merchant you meet in the Church of Elleh said something to me about how he and his kind tell each other if you attack them, which I interpreted as the game warning me *not* to kill them.

I wish I could make normal arrows on the fly, though. Is there a cook book for that?

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The first merchant you meet in the Church of Elleh said something to me about how he and his kind tell each other if you attack them, which I interpreted as the game warning me *not* to kill them.

I wish I could make normal arrows on the fly, though. Is there a cook book for that?

Hell yeah, I've been making arrows since day 1 (seemingly, can't remember exactly).  I have normal / bleed / sleep / fire arrows at least so far, and I'm only getting into the Lakes.  On the lookout for poison arrows now.

You can definitely find the normal arrows cookbook somewhere in Limgrave, maybe from one of the merchants. I've had them since nearly the start. There's so many arrows and bolt types in this game its crazy. I've found it a good way to find out what elemental weaknesses enemies have.

5 hours ago, kempstar said:

Its got a very obvious tell. Dodge to the left or right, when he raises his sword in the air.

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Do you mean the single bolt? He lifts his sword up, and then pulls it down.  The moment you see his arm come down, that's when you roll.  

I love that a few people on here were complaining last week that it was bullshit/impossible to avoid.  YOU GUYS. 

For the red bolts everywhere, just watch for the areas of effect on the ground, you don't need to run far away, just not be stood where you see it coming.. 

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I think I just either ran far, far away, or tanked it and took the damage (I've heavily invested in vigour), but towards the end it was just a desperate toe to toe, as I could see his health bar nearly down to nothing, and he happened not to use it. Oh, and I managed to keep Aurelia alive for quite a while. 

I'll check my video in a bit.

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I think he must mean the latter, the AOE lightning that comes out of the ground.

The move I struggled with was the close range fireball to the face.

I'm glad beat him quickly (5 attempts maybe?) as I'm guessing that's a rare roadblock unless there's another way in?

3 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Here you go @Kevvy Metal

Buffs:

Mixed Physick of Stamina Boost and that One Free Hit bubble thing

Rune Arc

Boiled Crab

Poison Grease

Talismans are the two equip load ones, and the one that increases Max HP.

Weapon is a +14 Zwei, and as you can see I summoned Aurelia at +5.

Looking at the video I didn't have any tactics apart from do as much damage as possible while he was distracted by Aurelia, and hope to poison him (which I did, at around the 50 second mark). I did somehow manage to jump over his fire attack a couple of times, which felt flukey but good. And he only used the AOE lightning once.

Thank you for your replies every one! 
I was attempting the fight entirely on horsey and yeah, as soon as the AOE lightning attack, I'd get zapped. 

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, and of course! Just getting off the horse and dodging the attack is totally a good idea! 😆
Some how, I just didn't think about it!...

Can't remember if I posted about this earlier on, but where's the good armour at?  

I've not found anything decent yet.  I've upgraded some of my starting bandit gear with bits of junk armour dropped off soldiers of various types in Limgrave, and I've found a couple of sets of situational robes with better resists, but generally my armour is bobbins, and - (I know, armour doesn't matter, don't get hit, just look good) - I look like crap.

I'm seeing phantoms wandering past me of other players looking wild, but I look like a Souls tramp.  I'm completely failing at Fashion Souls.

16 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hell yeah, I've been making arrows since day 1 (seemingly, can't remember exactly).  I have normal / bleed / sleep / fire arrows at least so far, and I'm only getting into the Lakes.  On the lookout for poison arrows now.

7 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I think that very first merchant is the guy that sells it! The crafting kit.

Sorry - I should have clarified: I don't mean the bone arrows; I meant the normal arrows, the same that you can buy from the merchants. I can't seem to find a way to make those. Making bone arrows requires either paying the Maiden Husks for bones, or going on a sheep massacring run to get them fresh.

I just want to be able to create the normal wooden arrows wherever I am in the environment, as I'll often run out on an extended jaunt between bonfires. I've taken to spending 10,000 runes on them at a time so I've got plenty in storage, but it's still a ball ache to discover I've run out of them when I'm miles from the lady checkpoint.

There are a few complete armour sets hidden in the legacy dungeons. You can also get individual parts by killing soldiers of a certain type - I look like a lovely golden knight right now.

If you see any particularly wild people they might be using the armour bits you can get after beating the big bosses.

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Can't remember if I posted about this earlier on, but where's the good armour at?  

I've not found anything decent yet.  I've upgraded some of my starting bandit gear with bits of junk armour dropped off soldiers of various types in Limgrave, and I've found a couple of sets of situational robes with better resists, but generally my armour is bobbins, and - (I know, armour doesn't matter, don't get hit, just look good) - I look like crap.

I'm seeing phantoms wandering past me of other players looking wild, but I look like a Souls tramp.  I'm completely failing at Fashion Souls.

I don't know what triggers it but the dude

Spoiler

Who's leaning against the door in roundtable hold disappears and there's his metal as fuck  armour that looks rad and has some pretty beefy buffs on it. It happened after I got invaded in the main room.

10 minutes ago, therearerules said:

My only problem is I used all my beast bones making fire bolts thinking they'd add fire and physical damage, but so far they've done less

Yeah - I don't get this, either. I've got a faith-scaling bow with high faith and I'm using holy-tipped arrows, but they seem to do less damage most enemies than the regular arrows. The bow's description literally says it works best with holy arrows, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Who's leaning against the door in roundtable hold disappears and there's his metal as fuck  armour that looks rad and has some pretty beefy buffs on it. It happened after I got invaded in the main room.

Who do you think it was who invaded you? ;)

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now