Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now

Broker

Arrrgh I only fucking did it! I hate those fights though, seriously, give me any of the DS3 bosses over that pair they suck. Just felt like brute forced in the end with my mimic, just do as much damage as you possibly can before the bullshit moves come out. Unsheath is seriously good against EB.

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

How much text is there? Was hoping at least being able to change font size.

Depends if you want to read all the item descriptions, you can either ignore it all or not but ignoring it would be missing out on the lore. You can't change the font size I'm afraid it's just like the Souls games if you've played any of those.

11 hours ago, df0 said:

NG++ even, just finished the NG+ run.

Hate is a strong word. I think it's mediocre/average (some parts are spectacularly good, some parts are mindbogglingly bad), but overall, whatever. Definitely not doing multiple runs with different builds, this'll be uninstalled as soon as the Plat pops.

is this you 

So you definitely can defeat the final boss with a dex melee build though I put on some big armour and had the bullgoat talisman for poise which I think helps the mimic, also give it healing items, my one was definitely healing. I think I'd like both bosses better if they were stand alone fights, having to fight both of them  in one life just sucks the joy out of the fights.

6 minutes ago, Minion said:

Depends if you want to read all the item descriptions, you can either ignore it all or not but ignoring it would be missing out on the lore. You can't change the font size I'm afraid it's just like the Souls games if you've played any of those.

Gutting, hoped they'd being in something in 2022. Ignoring the lore it is then.

Anyone else completed Nepheli Loux's questline? How the bollocks are you supposed to know how to do it without looking it up? She gives no indication whatsoever that she wants what you have to give her, or that she's going to move to where she goes, and neither does Sir Gideon.

The same goes for Hyetta's quest. Unless you happen to run into her in certain places at certain times then you can entirely miss her and there's no reason to return back to the places where she moves to. The NPC markers on the map are useless: a marker only appears if you happen to run into an NPC; you can't see where they move to.

These sorts of NPC quests worked in earlier Souls games because they were so much more linear and you were more likely to encounter the characters, but here you're all but forced to use a guide.

I'm just using a Wiki now to keep track of all the different quests, which sucks.

I am up to 125 odd hours now and am still constantly amazed by this game.

I got to the Royal Capital at the weekend and have spent a couple of sessions poking around there, defeating one boss and spotting the (bigger!) doorway to another before wandering off South to do a few other things. I think I've explored most of the overground levels but it is a big, convoluted, area so I'll need to make a few more runs through to double check. Had fun down a well though! I definitely have more to do below as I now have a key that I need to use so that is also at the back of my mind.

Really though, I have so many things going on all over the map that I feel like I'm juggling plates (in a good way) which is pretty extraordinary given the huge number of hours I've put into the game. Yesterday I popped down to Limgrave for a horse ride in the sun, really just as a break from the aggro of the Capital. In doing so I found a whole new area that I had totally missed previously (a crater!) which has made sense of a plot line I was following but lost track of. Defeated one boss but am being destroyed by a Valiant Gargoyle that revealed an evil trick up its sleeve just as I was getting the hang of it. So that is another one I'll come back to when a bit stronger (I'm Level 106 or so). 

Riding around after the time underground I then found a wee demi-human who had been turned into a tree! Having freed him, he promised to go and steal something from a cave for me so that's another NPC to keep track of. He'll probably come back with a melted mushroom...

Today I came across a little valley that I had abandoned weeks ago as it was a bit harsh, so back then I bypassed it and carried on up a different path. I'd completely forgotten about it but it turns out it was a path to four bell towers, three of which teleported me to some fine locations, albeit all dead ends. I've had a glimpse of an amazing looking floating castle before the two beasts guarding the small area I could access gave me a real kicking so I'm in no rush to get to the castle proper too soon. Annoyingly they dropped nothing despite being a real chore.

Also fought a big fat, super aggressive lizard man on a bridge and he did drop some tidy gear. Speaking of gear I am now paying more attention to the stats on the right hand side of the screen - the ones that show any changes to my stats as it turns out I have owned a hat that increases my HP by a good 20% and another that adds 12 or 13 points to Arcane which will open up a few weapon choices.

Oh, i turned a tower upside down which was great as I had previously wasted a LOT of time poking around there trying to work out how to get higher. I think it was a bit of a dead end though but will need to go back and check next session.

I have also found two more bell bearings but both were of little use - one to buy Gravewort and one to buy a few spells, neither of which are of use to me. I do really need to find some 5 and 6 smithy stones or a bell bearing to buy them in order to push my weapons on as I've been stalled on them at +17 for almost as long as I was stalled at +7 (which was a very long time indeed).

Incredible game.

To compensate for all that text here's my latest Fashion Souls effort which, sadly, does not show just how awesomely shiny my hat is:

F05C964E-436F-453F-B0BB-01DB20F0216D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.004d2a696cfb7a285668157a4a3c4e60.jpeg

And done! 120 hours, got Platinum.

If there's a better game out this year then we've reached peak videogame.

I could do with my life back now tho. Started out Faith/Strength with longsword, then went Dual scythes, got seduced by the sword of night and flame, when that got nerfed I went rivers of blood build which served me well up until the last boss when I went back to faith and the blasphemous blade with a side order of prawn silly string for the final boss form. Loved it, one of the best games ever made.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone else completed Nepheli Loux's questline? How the bollocks are you supposed to know how to do it without looking it up? She gives no indication whatsoever that she wants what you have to give her, or that she's going to move to where she goes, and neither does Sir Gideon.

The same goes for Hyetta's quest. Unless you happen to run into her in certain places at certain times then you can entirely miss her and there's no reason to return back to the places where she moves to. The NPC markers on the map are useless: a marker only appears if you happen to run into an NPC; you can't see where they move to.

These sorts of NPC quests worked in earlier Souls games because they were so much more linear and you were more likely to encounter the characters, but here you're all but forced to use a guide.

I'm just using a Wiki now to keep track of all the different quests, which sucks.

There's quite a few I missed, hers, jar boy and the Faith dude at the round table. I only started looking when I was basically right near the end, I'm going to try and get them right in NG+. I went in knowing I would miss some or all, I didn't know how big the game would actually be though, I clocked over 170 hours though I have been doing some coop which adds to that.

Mohg the Omen DOWN.  I think I was a bit op for that encounter, I only had to hit him about 5 times.  My mimic somehow just constantly pulled aggro so I basically wailed on him unchallenged. lol

2 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

And done! 120 hours, got Platinum.

If there's a better game out this year then we've reached peak videogame.

I could do with my life back now tho. Started out Faith/Strength with longsword, then went Dual scythes, got seduced by the sword of night and flame, when that got nerfed I went rivers of blood build which served me well up until the last boss when I went back to faith and the blasphemous blade with a side order of prawn silly string for the final boss form. Loved it, one of the best games ever made.

Did you save scum for the platinum then?

17 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't really mind about the NPC quests, I like that I've run into a few during my first playthrough, no idea if I'm going ot complete them or not. 

But that's part of MY adventure.  I don't have to DO EVERYTHING.  Especially not my first time through. 

I just took my dex up to 60 for the Rivers of Blood. Took out all the faith and kept a bit of strength for defence. She didn't even have time to do her waterfowl nonsense. My mimic stayed alive the whole fight with about 1hp left.

Can you do anything with

Spoiler

Mohg's and Malenia's great rune? Do they have a tower?

So this is still an absolute all timer BUT:

-I don’t like that the game seems to be built around respecs, particularly late on. I appreciate having the option to do it but I don’t like feeling like I have no choice. I want to do a melee run, an int one, a faith and dex and whatever else one. I don’t want to do all three at various points in the game because it no longer feels like MY run and also I only get to play the game once which makes me sad. I’ve respecced three times so far, every time I’ve had to go missioning off somewhere for weapon mats, and I think I’ve fallen just a tiny bit out of love with it every time.

-lategame is very boss-heavy — there is enough game out there that they could better space this lot out, surely — and damage from all sources got silly a while ago and is now so silly there is no word in the English language that can properly articulate its silliness. 54 vigor atm, still getting one-shot by the final boss. 

-Great Runes should be passives. You equip one, you get its bonus. None of this ‘use a consumable that is annoyingly expensive to buy and increasingly hard to get in co-op later on because apparently no one can reliably dodge Godfrey’s fire blast’ nonsense. 

-it’s going to be over soon and I am very sad 

11 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I just took my dex up to 60 for the Rivers of Blood. Took out all the faith and kept a bit of strength for defence. She didn't even have time to do her waterfowl nonsense. My mimic stayed alive the whole fight with about 1hp left.

Can you do anything with

Hide contents

Mohg's and Malenia's great rune? Do they have a tower?

Ahh well done dude, I really enjoyed dex in this I ended with 65 in dex. Unsheath really hurts the last boss' if you want the nagakiba let me know happy to drop it for youl it was my favourite katana out of the lot, it's so long!

And yes you can activate their runes, just check what they say, there are two towers in the capital, one in the east and one in the west

Lol just did Reykard first try, no damage!  Was that for real? 

Spoiler

I mean sure, let's do a gimmick boss because they always do, but that was... trivially easy? A bit weird. 

I suppose the only way you'd fail is if you ran out of FP to spam the storm ruler's L2?

4 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

So this is still an absolute all timer BUT:

-I don’t like that the game seems to be built around respecs, particularly late on. I appreciate having the option to do it but I don’t like feeling like I have no choice. I want to do a melee run, an int one, a faith and dex and whatever else one. I don’t want to do all three at various points in the game because it no longer feels like MY run and also I only get to play the game once which makes me sad. I’ve respecced three times so far, every time I’ve had to go missioning off somewhere for weapon mats, and I think I’ve fallen just a tiny bit out of love with it every time.  

-lategame is very boss-heavy — there is enough game out there that they could better space this lot out, surely — and damage from all sources got silly a while ago and is now so silly there is no word in the English language that can properly articulate its silliness. 54 vigor atm, still getting one-shot by the final

boss. 

-Great Runes should be passives. You equip one, you get its bonus. None of this ‘use a consumable that is annoyingly expensive to buy and increasingly hard to get in co-op later on because apparently no one can reliably dodge Godfrey’s fire blast’ nonsense. 

-it’s going to be over soon and I am very sad 

I managed to beat it with the build I had all along which was mainly dex but later on added some arcane though I did end up at level 168 so possibly overlevelled but the last bosses give so many souls I thought hey why not!

I agree it's very boss heavy at the end, you realise you have little left to explore and some extremely challenging fights to take on, it takes the wind out of the sails, it's a shame because the Haligtree level is so beautiful and atmospheric I wanted another one or two more levels like that.

Totally agree with the runes, I used them a handful of times at most and died pretty quickly every time, I'm assuming I'll lose them in NG+

I too am now sad and have a hole in my life it's been a wild month. I might start a new character though these high level faith spells obtainable from some of the boss souls look like fun...

1 minute ago, Minion said:

Ahh well done dude, I really enjoyed dex in this I ended with 65 in dex. Unsheath really hurts the last boss' if you want the nagakiba let me know happy to drop it for youl it was my favourite katana out of the lot, it's so long!

You already gave me a nagakiba, thanks! Woah, A scaling with dex? I guess I can use it for things immune to bleed.

@Melon_Bread I'm pretty confused about the ending procedure for plat seekers. Somebody suggested earlier that to get all three you reload but still need to beat the last boss three times? At least that's what I thought they were saying. Is it easier than that, i.e. like Sekiro? The fact I have the three finger thing going on already might complicate things, but I'm on the way to removing it (after getting that ending).

@robdood I ran out of FP after one L2, but you don't need it, R2 works just as well.

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Colosseum PVP Update Out Now