Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

Broker

I personally can’t wait for any shred of creativity this game shows to be crushed by fans hell-bent on calling it “Norse Souls”, making tenuous links to previous From titles and failing to celebrate a game’s individuality!

Ahem.

3 hours ago, dave7g said:

I hope it's a normal RPG, not a fan of the frustration of the Souls games.

I feel similarly but I think it's highly unlikely. It's a formula that they've conceived and perfected and in fairness is extremely popular. They may deviate from it in certain ways like they did for Sekiro but the core values will likely be still front and centre. The most prominent one seeming to be "This is a solid, consistent rule/control set, but its fucking dog hard so keep practicing or fuck off!"

It's From, they can take my money, pre-ordered, hype train boarded etcetera

(I for one love the Souls formula but Sekiro was too hard for feeble old me. If this emphasizes the RPG aspects and the exploration of the formula instead of the combat aspects like Sekiro did, I would be very happy indeed)

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

(If this emphasizes the RPG aspects and the exploration of the formula instead of the combat aspects like Sekiro did, I would be very happy indeed)

This, but as I said upstream I'd be bothered about Martin's involvement, as Mizayaki is so strong where those aspects are concerned. Hopefully just some research consultancy and they're talking it up just for name's sake.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's From, they can take my money, pre-ordered, hype train boarded etcetera

(I for one love the Souls formula but Sekiro was too hard for feeble old me. If this emphasizes the RPG aspects and the exploration of the formula instead of the combat aspects like Sekiro did, I would be very happy indeed)

This is exactly how I felt about Sekiro. I miss having options when I’m struggling, trying out other armour or weapons or helpers or whatever.

I’m hoping it’s just got Souls combat but maybe with more options. Bring back the broken magic as an option for people who hate the combat. Let us summon a whole party to adventure with properly instead of just for one section.

I'd be happy with a new Souls game set in a different universe. 

But thinking a bit more optimistically - I'd like to see something which continues to build on the Souls formula, in the way Sekiro did, but as others have said, with more of a focus on expanding the RPG and customisation features. 

As well as customising your character, I'd like to see them expand the world customisation options. What I mean is, the way that you've always been able to influence, to a limited extent, how NPCs develop, but kicked up a notch. So the world itself will evolve differently depending on your actions. The only time I can really think that they have come close to what I am imagining is how you can choose to make Anor Londo dark by destroying the illusionary goddess. I'd like to see multiple areas across the map (or perhaps all of it) where there are different options, and depending on which ones you choose it will affect multiplayer opportunities, enemy placement, etc - and most importantly, the "feel" of each individual area. 

Oh, and I know some people will balk at this idea as they did when I've suggested it in the past - I'd like to see the DS formula experimenting with the idea of "Nemesis" type enemies that follow you around the map. Yes, even into bonfire rooms (or whatever this game uses to fill their role). Just imagine how much more tense that addition would make things. 

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’m hoping it’s just got Souls combat but maybe with more options. Bring back the broken magic as an option for people who hate the combat. Let us summon a whole party to adventure with properly instead of just for one section.

Party Souls would be quite something. You'd be bailing me out 24/7.

I assume that the limitations of only being able to summon one person for a set tone are technical, because the way you have to summon people at the start of each area makes co-op really hard and the password system feels like a bolted on fix. It would also make a lot more sense thematically if in Dark Souls you crossed paths with other undead and journeyed with them for a while, rather than in weird segments. It would also be very different if you could choose to kill or team up with people, and if you chose to kill them you weren’t teleported back to a clean instance. Then if you were somewhere dangerous you’d have to weigh up the stuff you’d get for killing them vs being stuck somewhere tough on your own.

Character creation, fashion 'souls', politically incorrect player messages, dumb gesturing to random pals outside fog doors, or new shit in the same vein, just bring back the fun. And yes, more options for middling players to sheepishly struggle through. Sekiro was a connoisseur's game, let's have another enduring classic for the everygamer.

Sekiro is great - either while it lasts (if you're good) or until you get stuck at a point which you just can't see yourself persevering past (if you're shit like me). 

I think multiplayer must have been scrapped because the world is a lot more opened-up in the early game, than in the average Soulsborne. You can go for a long time and cover a lot of ground without meeting a boss. That's the only reason I can think of that they cut it , aside from the fact that every player is essentially playing the same character, in this one, so there would just be lots of identical Wolfs running around any multiplayer worlds, which would be a bit weird.