Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

Broker

13 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

It's now being released on February 25th.

(No big deal for me as I'll have enough to play in January already. :D )

Poor Aloy. Can't catch a break.

34 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Don't know about that. HZD sold more than all versions of Dark Souls 3 combined and a shitload more than Sekiro. And it has a week for itself. I would assume both games will do very well.

11 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Don't know about that. HZD sold more than all versions of Dark Souls 3 combined and a shitload more than Sekiro. And it has a week for itself. I would assume both games will do very well.

If anything it’s a weird date to move Elden Ring to, launching an open world action adventure one week after a higher profile open world action adventure title lands on your biggest user base is mad. 

8 minutes ago, Flanders said:

If anything it’s a weird date to move Elden Ring to, launching an open world action adventure one week after a higher profile open world action adventure title lands on your biggest user base is mad. 

Unless they know something we don't about the HFW date.....

I'm actually due to go on my first holiday since March 2020 on the day after this was supposed to be released so I'm not disappointed personally I'd rather they have the time needed to get it out in a good state. What's this closed network test thing though, I want in?

I doubt it will clash with H:FW (unless that slips again too), as I expect this is only the first slide deeper into 2022 for ER.

Don't actually mind personally, as long as it makes for a better game. I'll also hopefully be playing it on the Deck, so late Q1, early Q2 is fine by me.

The delay is disappointing, but to be expected. If anything, I was thinking they'd put it back a bit longer. I'm hoping we don't end up in a Cyberpunk situation where they put it back repeatedly. I've got both this and HZD pre-ordered, though, so if it's a toss up between the two then I'll off Horizon for a month or three.

Watching that leaked video, it actually made me slightly nervous.

One of the amazing things about DS is how close you get to the world, you know it intimately. You ask a fan about the world and they can tell you exactly where things are, what enemies are there etc. etc.

My fear is that large parts of this are pass though, and only there for having ‘a vast open world’. There’s nothing wrong with this per se but it does actually change the dynamic quite a lot.

The idea of wandering around a giant world with randomly spawned patrols as a distraction until I get to the ‘next area’…I’m not sure sits right with me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it will be great but are we gonna lose that world intimacy and what kind of effect will that have on my enjoyment of the game?

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

come on. First time round she had at least a fortnight before BoTW blew her game out of the water amongst the cognoscenti.

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

One of the amazing things about DS is how close you get to the world, you know it intimately. You ask a fan about the world and they can tell you exactly where things are, what enemies are there etc. etc.

My fear is that large parts of this are pass though, and only there for having ‘a vast open world’. There’s nothing wrong with this per se but it does actually change the dynamic quite a lot.

The idea of wandering around a giant world with randomly spawned patrols as a distraction until I get to the ‘next area’…I’m not sure sits right with me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it will be great but are we gonna lose that world intimacy and what kind of effect will that have on my enjoyment of the game?

Yeah for me the addition of a compass made me feel the same way, a compass suggests you can't navigate the world based on landmarks and as you describe knowing the world intimately, it could be a failed experiement but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I mean I thought Sekiro was a failed experiment until I started again on PS5 and now I realise it's a masterpiece. So in Miyazaki I tentatively trust. Demons, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro are all stone cold classics, he can be forgiven one mistep at least, but here's hoping.

4 hours ago, Goemon said:

I don't think they're making a cookie cutter open world game. We've seen almost nothing to start worrying that's it is.

For what you lose you don't know what you'll gain in return. 

8 hours ago, Minion said:

Yeah for me the addition of a compass made me feel the same way, a compass suggests you can't navigate the world based on landmarks and as you describe knowing the world intimately, it could be a failed experiement but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I mean I thought Sekiro was a failed experiment until I started again on PS5 and now I realise it's a masterpiece. So in Miyazaki I tentatively trust. Demons, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro are all stone cold classics, he can be forgiven one mistep at least, but here's hoping.

I wouldn't worry. If you think back to the least linear DS, the first, you get told where to go (up and down). With an open world game you need some direction at times, and a compass direction is a perfectly fine non intrusive approach. "Head west" is a world away from a map, or following the dots.