Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

Broker

On 18/11/2021 at 10:23, robdood said:

Here's a low-resolution alleged early (2018) concept of the map.  It looks amazing!

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.3b364f7d57b2280944f4472314a7d6ad.png

I wonder which one of those ponds/lakes are poisonous? 

Performance modes are 40-60fps, all over the place frame rates. 

Quality modes don’t have a 30fps cap so run at about 40fps. 

Only way to get 60fps is to play the PS4 version on PS5. 

I’d like to think that it will be sorted for launch but From games all have utterly bizarre choices and quirks like no putting frame rate caps in, etc. 

23 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’d like to think that it will be sorted for launch but From games all have utterly bizarre choices and quirks like no putting frame rate caps in, etc. 

Frame rate mode 🤢

If I'm buying the PS5 disc version, will I be able to play the PS4 version as well?

I've stayed well clear of this thread as well as any screenshots and videos. I've listened to three different podcasts, however, where the hosts have played the network test, and all three have said that it's very reminiscent of Souls, and people who have played those games will know exactly what to expect. One said that if you'd told him it was DS4 he wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I've also got the sense that they all found it a bit underwhelming in how similar it all seems, but that might just be my own paranoia.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this, but I do want something a bit different from just Open World Souls. I'm hoping for something new, and not just paying service to the fans.

Can anyone reassure me in a spoiler-free way? (Apologies if this has been asked already, but I don't want to go through the thread!)

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've stayed well clear of this thread as well as any screenshots and videos. I've listened to three different podcasts, however, where the hosts have played the network test, and all three have said that it's very reminiscent of Souls, and people who have played those games will know exactly what to expect. One said that if you'd told him it was DS4 he wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I've also got the sense that they all found it a bit underwhelming in how similar it all seems, but that might just be my own paranoia.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this, but I do want something a bit different from just Open World Souls. I'm hoping for something new, and not just paying service to the fans.

Can anyone reassure me in a spoiler-free way? (Apologies if this has been asked already, but I don't want to go through the thread!)

Even if it was just DS4 - you'd still play it, right? Anything else is a bonus at this stage! (Although would take BB2 over this I reckon)

21 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Even if it was just DS4 - you'd still play it, right? Anything else is a bonus at this stage! (Although would take BB2 over this I reckon)

Absolutely - I've got it pre-ordered - but I really admired how they changed things up with Sekiro, and after playing through DS 1-3, BB and Demon's multiple times, I'm hoping for something significantly different but still awesome, like Sekiro was (despite its flaws). Not too much to ask, right? 😓

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Frame rate mode 🤢

If I'm buying the PS5 disc version, will I be able to play the PS4 version as well?

Don’t think so. I’ve got the PS4 version ordered as it’s got a free PS5 upgrade and was cheaper. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Don’t think so. I’ve got the PS4 version ordered as it’s got a free PS5 upgrade and was cheaper. 

Damm - I went PS5 disc but looks like I'll have to cancel and get the PS4 one then - I don't think the PS5's Framerate mode will get that much of an improvement before/after launch knowing From

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Absolutely - I've got it pre-ordered - but I really admired how they changed things up with Sekiro, and after playing through DS 1-3, BB and Demon's multiple times, I'm hoping for something significantly different but still awesome, like Sekiro was (despite its flaws). Not too much to ask, right? 😓

Sekiro's is the only one I've returned to recently and didn't enjoy - the combat is exhausting

9 hours ago, englishbob said:

Sekiro's is the only one I've returned to recently and didn't enjoy - the combat is exhausting

Fair enough, but at least they tried something different. Don't get me wrong - on paper, open-world Souls is an incredible pitch - but I want something more dynamic. I think the biggest improvements they can make will be to the AI. For example, I don't want to be expected to draw enemies who are standing stock still one-by-one with arrows from their positions while their fellows look on, also unmoving; if a group of enemies see me from across the map, I want them to charge at me and ride me down, and I have to deal with that. I want enemies to hide behind things, or take cover, or try to flank me, or call to their comrades. I want there to be monster vs human enemy fights which aren't scripted, or enemies who run away to try to heal, or enemies who switch their weapons like I can.

And talking of weapons, I'd like there to be fewer of them, and armour sets, but for them to be more meaningful; there's nothing worse in DS than fighting tooth and nail across an enemy-infested location to get to an item, only to find it's some useless consumable, or a spell when you're a melee fighter. If they can find a way to fix that (maybe the loot could generate based on what's useful to your particular build) then I'd be very happy.

Ultimately, I just have ridiculously high expectations for this game which I'm worried it won't meet, and it's not even out yet. In my experience of other Japanese developers, they're great fans of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', and if From go with that mentality here then the game will still be very good, but I want it to be holy calamafuck amazing.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

In terms of fundamental mechanics it does borrow a lot from Souls more than anything else, although stumbling into badasses in the open world does remind me a little of Sekiro, and there's a bigger feeling of open discovery and the opportunity to have fun outside of the "critical path" (whatever that means here), whether you're out finding materials and things, or exploring the catacombs. The open-ness of the open world also has that Sekiro vibe of scoping out an area without alerting everyone right away, and figuring out how best to approach an enemy or group. And the available map is a godsend, as you're able to place markers to identify areas of interest (or danger.)

We didn't get to see everything as the beta had invisible walls, but I feel like the exploration and the map - and the combat options - will prevent that feeling of dropping a Fromsoft game because of one compulsory encounter that's the only means of progress. It still has the same old status ailments and stamina management and bonfire respawns and currency dropping and fog walls, but hopefully with more agency allowing different ways to progress.

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Fair enough, but at least they tried something different. Don't get me wrong - on paper, open-world Souls is an incredible pitch - but I want something more dynamic. I think the biggest improvements they can make will be to the AI. For example, I don't want to be expected to draw enemies who are standing stock still one-by-one with arrows from their positions while their fellows look on, also unmoving; if a group of enemies see me from across the map, I want them to charge at me and ride me down, and I have to deal with that. I want enemies to hide behind things, or take cover, or try to flank me, or call to their comrades. I want there to be monster vs human enemy fights which aren't scripted, or enemies who run away to try to heal, or enemies who switch their weapons like I can.

There are enemies who will pursue you at great distances (though they seem tethered to an extent but that makes sense really). There are enemies who will call out to their mates that you’re there. There are enemies that heal themselves and have different weapons to swap (though we’ve had that since demon souls).

Some enemies are still thick as pig shit and basically fodder but plenty aren’t. And don’t think you can just jump up high to a vantage point and they won’t be able to get you, some can certainly get up to where you’re hiding.

I think the thing you might be underestimating is just how big a change the open world is. It’s not a way point, icon saturated second job simulator Ubisoft map, but a big natural feeling world full of secrets that you have to hunt out and pick up clues to learn about. When you find something it will be because you discovered it, not because a glowing waypoint told you to go there.

My impressions of the network test were certainly of the holy fuck this is incredible variety. It’s very much the same to me as how Zelda evolved when BOTW came out.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

My impressions of the network test were certainly of the holy fuck this is incredible variety. It’s very much the same to me as how Zelda evolved when BOTW came out.

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :)

Ok, I'm suitably reassured! Thanks, all.

*Runs from thread*

Some videos from Zullie the Witch and Illusory Wall on interesting stuff in the Elden Ring network test.

Observing the idle behaviour of animals and enemies. These animations are quite relaxing to watch - almost like a nature documentary!

How mounting Torrent works:

Recreating a memorable OOT boss fight:

There's also a video showing an out of bounds area that's supposed to be blocked off in the network test, and encountering a mini-boss. I think that one qualifies as a spoiler, so you can look that one up on the YouTube channel for yourself.

Illusory Wall on how the game's Group Password system might help solve previous games' issues with co-op passwords:

Yeah, there’s a lot of “it’s Dark Souls again! :omg:  ” going around online when that potentially makes it sound way less interesting, especially to people who have no interest in DS (oh and fuck anyone who says “those people wouldn’t be curious about Elden Ring anyway”.) But then it does borrow more from DS than anything else so I can’t exactly blame people for the comparison.

For me, it’s the fundamental combat of Dark Souls (3 in particular, with the speed of everything) but potentially with more things to do and places to go, and I’d go so far as to say that death is less of an ordeal - because horse movement gets you back to where you were quickly, because you don’t lose your place in the world thanks to mapping, because from what I can tell there’s no hollowing or dragonrot, etc. That feeling of wanting to jump right back into the boss fight you failed but having to go slowly through miles of backtracking isn’t nearly as prevalent here.

I would have liked them to shake up some things, like the levelling system or the items, or at least more of the sound effects and animations. It can feel too close to the old at times.

But yeah, making Dark Souls open world does make a big difference in itself. It changes a lot of the rhythms and routines, as do features like riding and jumping. There's plenty there to suggest it'll be a new experience.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I would have liked them to shake up some things, like the levelling system or the items, or at least more of the sound effects and animations. It can feel too close to the old at times.

Looks to me like they added animations to the rolls and some other moves, combat/movement looks a bit smoother then it did in DS3 (to me at least). From using the exact same 'combat' sounds from DS3 is pretty much my only disappointment with ER so far. Ideally landing hits with different weapons should generate different sound effects. Could be rose tinted coupled with faulty memory but i convinced myself that Demons and Dark 1 did this better then the latter titles. 

On 20/11/2021 at 20:54, HarryBizzle said:

I would be amazed if it didn’t launch with 60fps locked on both PS5 and Series X. To my eyes it’s not doing anything which puts it leagues ahead, visually at least, of other next gen games. 

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I would be amazed if it didn’t launch with 60fps locked on both PS5 and Series X. To my eyes it’s not doing anything which puts it leagues ahead, visually at least, of other next gen games. 

Oh my sweet summer child..

On 20/11/2021 at 20:54, HarryBizzle said:

That was a useful video, albeit with a somewhat disappointing conclusion as I had hoped the PS5 would be able to cope with 4k/60.

Based on this it looks like I'll be playing another FROM game on PC as I'm happy to sacrifice the fancier joypad in order to get the better looking and smoother playing version.