IGNORED

Elden Ring - Shadow of the Erdtree Expansion Announced

Broker

I was feeling a bit bored with my magic build last night so looked what I had knocking around and saw that I wasn't that far off the Moonveil katana stats-wise.

Jesus, it's so much fun! The weapon arts are insanely powerful. Game has gone up yet another notch. This really is GOAT territory, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

The use of colour in the lakes area is incredible. All that blue coming after 20 or so hours of brown and grey. People can talk about the technical aspects all they want but this is an undeniably beautiful game

The night sky in Liurna of the Lakes is 😍😍😍

Or maybe that should be 🤩🤩🤩

49 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Does the map zoom out as you uncover more of it? I'm sure this is even bigger again than I thought. The areas I've just uncovered make Stormveil look like a tutorial. Insane.

Yes- I ended up

Spoiler

opening a chest that sent me to what I assume is the far north of the map

.  A proper WTF moment. 

Really enjoying these Evergaol fights. Found the one in the Weeping Peninsula yesterday but unfortunately I seemed a bit overlevelled for it now. I decided to try dropping the shield as I definitely need practice for that, but there were some attacks I *could not* reliably dodge no matter how much I tried. There was a 2x 2x swipe sequence with a little gap in the middle for a quick hit, but the second of the double attacks I could always either dodge the first or the second, but a single dodge couldn't escape both, and they came too quick to get two dodges in. I think fundamentally I still don't really understand non-shield Souls combat. Especially with the chained fast attacked that you can't individually dodge. I guess it's about positioning, will keep practising here and there.

Anyway, I decided to put a shield back on and try parrying instead, and managed to beat it with no healing, which felt like a good level of difficulty. Video spoilered below:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m playing on the OLED, HDR turned on and there’s a lot of the game where I can’t see a thing and everything seems very dark, even with the brightness turned up in the HDR settings. 

Use a torch :P

1 hour ago, Majora said:

So last night I discovered that (skeleton/catacomb related thing)

Hide contents

Necromancers are in this game, the swines. Does holy magic kill skeletons off for good even with the necromancer or not? 

From knew exactly what they were doing in the catacomb I was in. Get you running around trying to find the necromancer only to lure you straight down a ladder into a watery basement containing 2 giant enemy crabs.

No you need to kill the necromancer, then the skeletons just drop dead regardless. If there are skellies but no necromancer, just hit the skeleton once it’s down and you’ll finish it for good, no holy weapon needed. 

21 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Met Margit (going to be hard not referring to him as Magrat Garlick)

I, too, have been referring to him as Magrat.

I'm having an extension built in my house and I keep joking with the wife that it is solely to have enough space for a library of Pratchett.

Get the lantern and set it to the pouch. 

So I got my revenge on that crossbow twat in the academy.  Found that ladder that opens a shortcut right from the entrance.

Decided to go for a wander and realised the lakes are massive the top part is huge. 

Exploration time again before returning to the academy. 

I was strangely disappointed to discover about three mausoleums in really close proximity to each other last night. Not sure why they're so bunched together when the map is so huge, it took away some of their mystique seeing them so bunched together if that makes any sense.

Finally beat Margit after having had his health down to almost nothing several times over at least twenty attempts. In time-honoured tricky boss defeating fashion, when I did manage to beat him, I had three flasks left and my jellyfish still had ~20% health. Classic.

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

Finally beat Margit after having had his health down to almost nothing several times over at least twenty attempts. In time-honoured tricky boss defeating fashion, when I did manage to beat him, I had three flasks left and my jellyfish still had ~20% health. Classic.

Has everyone got a Jellyfish that is better than mine? I took mine in and it seemed to do very little damage and no poison. 

Im about 25 hours - level 25 and still no nearer beating the bastard but had great fun elsewhere cleaning up some of the bosses. 

15 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Has everyone got a Jellyfish that is better than mine? I took mine in and it seemed to do very little damage and no poison. 

Im about 25 hours - level 25 and still no nearer beating the bastard but had great fun elsewhere cleaning up some of the bosses. 

I found I had to keep the pressure on the boss so it targeted me as much as possible, and left my jellyfish alone to stay alive and keep attacking to get the poison.

My main summons are the two Godrick soldiers, which are basically the equivalent of two kind-of-decked-out co-op players when uptuned. I'll take it upon myself to inflict poison (I love those bone darts) and bleed. 

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

I mean, no shred of a lie, I feel like I might currently be playing what will go on to be my favourite game. Like, ever.

It contains literally the essence of what makes computer and video games such an interesting medium. Even the janky stuff. In some cases especially that stuff.

It's an absolute triumph for player agency and self expression. Screw the meteverse, this is what it means to exist in another world and feel empowered to live out a fantasy.

It's the anti-Ubisoft. With the promise of a vast and interesting world that's actually worth exploring made flesh.

And the fact it's being played right now by millions of people sharing in the collective consciousness of the game is just incredible.

Yeah, I'm pretty much settled upon the idea that this game is ending somewhere in my top 5, but I can't yet commit myself because I haven't completed it. I can't even remember when I had this feeling of pure entertainment no matter what I'm doing within the game before this. Metroid Prime maybe? Its arrival is an "extinction level event" in terms of video games to me.

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

I mean, no shred of a lie, I feel like I might currently be playing what will go on to be my favourite game. Like, ever.

It contains literally the essence of what makes computer and video games such an interesting medium. Even the janky stuff. In some cases especially that stuff.

It's an absolute triumph for player agency and self expression. Screw the meteverse, this is what it means to exist in another world and feel empowered to live out a fantasy.

It's the anti-Ubisoft. With the promise of a vast and interesting world that's actually worth exploring made flesh.

And the fact it's being played right now by millions of people sharing in the collective consciousness of the game is just incredible.

Despite the rep for being 'hard', I always felt most relaxed just chilling in lordran and running routes from a to b, just because of the atmosphere. And that would keep me coming back regularly, if not often. I mean, people still play DS1 today, and I suspect ER will be the same. Pop back for a visit every 18 months or so for the next decade, and be comforted by the familiarity of somewhere you know well.