Ghosts - BBC sitcom from the Horrible Histories cast

Nick R

The US trailer looks sooooo bad, despite seemingly using untouched scripts from the UK version.  It's a handy reminder of just how great the whole Ghosts / Horrible History crew are as performers.

• 1 month later...

Great to see that a third series has been agreed. This is just a lovely show and I find myself rewatching episodes when I can’t make a decision about what to see. Comfort TV with some great humour and performances.

I thought the trailer for the US version was actually okay. Quite liked the differences in the cast due to the location. Think I'd give it a watch.

Great that there's a 3rd season coming here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished S3. Tremendous. Just really well thought out, warm, silly comedy. The Kitty episode was fantastic. Loved the camping one too. 

I noticed that it looks like they’ve had to wrestle with some COVID related logistics; some plots just revolving around two characters, and various scenes where characters look like they’re social distancing (some clever camera angles trying to make the best of it). Seemed less so in later episodes. 

That the show is still so good despite these hurdles just shows how great it all is. 

On 24/05/2021 at 23:34, Nick R said:

That's not to say the US version can't turn out well. But it might take a few episodes, before they run out of BBC episodes to adapt, and they start writing to this cast's strengths so it can start being its own thing. I've barely seen anything of the American version of The Office, but by all accounts that only started getting good when it began to diverge from the UK series.

So… er… the second episode, then. ;)

(Every episode of the US Office was original except for the pilot. The second episode, Diversity Day, is still seen as one of the best in the entire run. The rest of season one wasn’t as good as the show it became, not because there weren’t funny bits, but because they hadn’t yet retooled the Michael Scott character to humanise him - I suppose this could be argued as the ‘UK legacy’ of the David Brent character which they overcame. In season 1, he was pretty nasty and selfish. From season 2, he really cared about his employees and that made his antics much more sympathetic for the audience.)

On 15/08/2021 at 09:55, Doctor Shark said:

Inspired by how good Ghosts is, i went to watch Yonderland, the previous series by these guys. 

….think I’ll just stick with Ghosts from now on. 

Yonderland is bloody fantastic.

On 15/08/2021 at 10:28, Eighthours said:

So… er… the second episode, then. ;)

(Every episode of the US Office was original except for the pilot. The second episode, Diversity Day, is still seen as one of the best in the entire run. The rest of season one wasn’t as good as the show it became, not because there weren’t funny bits, but because they hadn’t yet retooled the Michael Scott character to humanise him - I suppose this could be argued as the ‘UK legacy’ of the David Brent character which they overcame. In season 1, he was pretty nasty and selfish. From season 2, he really cared about his employees and that made his antics much more sympathetic for the audience.)

Interesting, I've never made it passed the second episode of US The Office, I found it largely annoying. If it does a Parks and Rec style switch in season two (in which the lead did a similar change to what you've described) then I might try again. 

But anyway, Ghosts. Ghosts is great. 

Haven't seen their film Bill yet, is that good? 

• 1 month later...